Page 150 of 185 FirstFirst ... 145146147148149150151152153154155 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,500 of 5540

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

  1. #4471
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    So you think that the educational system will right itself when high school funding is bankrupting several states and we are about to go into a merit based system that will be the biggest clusterfuck anyone has ever comprehended?
    I didn't say that either. I said that your arguments are meritless. Got it yet?

  2. #4472
    Member Newro7ic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The LBC
    Posts
    1,198

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Calling an IT technician a "technology job" is like calling an auto-mechanic an engineer.
    IT = Information Technology

    If you'd like to redefine the acronym, you should write a sternly worded letter to the high council of acronym creation. Do not confuse Tech support or help desk with actual work in the IT industry. They are basically service people.

    In my experience, in the technology sector, it's who you know more than what degrees or certifications you have, although, those can help. Who you know gets your foot in the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

  3. #4473
    Dick Nicewonger kreutz2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SL UT
    Posts
    11,473

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Semantics. My point still stands. Tom said it better:

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I consider IT a trade these days.
    RAPE STOVE

    white power?!

  4. #4474
    Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In A Beautiful Place Out In The Country
    Posts
    16,506

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    If a reporter thinks online classes are hard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

  5. #4475
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,943

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I consider IT a trade these days.
    Sounds like something you go to DeVry for.
    Translation


    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15


    Last.fm



  6. #4476
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    All of your perceptions of "IT" are formed by sitcoms.


    those late night ads for "exciting careers in the IT field" are aimed at one particular small notion of IT.

  7. #4477
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    41,020

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    My husband is a software engineer, and he worked his way up through entry-level sales to system administration to programming and coding getting tons of experience along the way. Every once in a while his employer has him do a certification here or there to look good, but he has no related college education.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

  8. #4478
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Most of my professional experiences with IT folks have been just like this ^

  9. #4479
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    But there are a lot of leftover hackers from the 80s

  10. #4480
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,601

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    If a reporter thinks online classes are hard ...
    just wait 'til she sees your dick?

    it's a silly anecdote, i know.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  11. #4481
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Yeah, everybody who doesn't work in the technology field should please shut the fuck up, seriously. Tom I wouldn't begin to hypothesize about what goes into being an actuarial or whatever the fuck it is you do, and I sincerely doubt that you know anything more about the reality of people who end up with jobs as infrastructure architects, or run the server farms that make your entire company capable of doing their jobs, or program software, or keep the fucking internet alive and well. Most of the most famous technological minds of our time were college dropouts with good reason--we could give two fucks about theory. You learn better through practical.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  12. #4482
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Randy: famous technological mind

  13. #4483
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Vigo: Famously Ugly Dumb Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  14. #4484

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...on-the-prairie

    479: Little War on the Prairie
    NOV 23, 2012
    Growing up in Mankato, Minnesota, John Biewen says, nobody ever talked about the most important historical event ever to happen there: in 1862, it was the site of the largest mass execution in U.S. history. Thirty-eight Dakota Indians were hanged after a war with white settlers. John went back to Minnesota to figure out what really happened 150 years ago, and why Minnesotans didn’t talk about it much after.

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

    Talking about Native Americans always makes liberals uncomfortable.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

  15. #4485
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Yeah, everybody who doesn't work in the technology field should please shut the fuck up, seriously. Tom I wouldn't begin to hypothesize about what goes into being an actuarial or whatever the fuck it is you do, and I sincerely doubt that you know anything more about the reality of people who end up with jobs as infrastructure architects, or run the server farms that make your entire company capable of doing their jobs, or program software, or keep the fucking internet alive and well. Most of the most famous technological minds of our time were college dropouts with good reason--we could give two fucks about theory. You learn better through practical.
    Actually, I help hire those people.

    Calling IT a 'trade' is no insult; it's just reality. The distinction between profession and trade is the form the education takes; professions emphasize formal academic training while the trades emphasize apprenticeship. Your arguments support my position.

  16. #4486
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,601

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    when you say you think IT is a trade, do you mean individual hardware? what about architecture/design/coding/testing etc.? what about network hardware? i'm not trying to pretend i know what i'm talking about (even though my job title includes IT for some strange reason).
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  17. #4487
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Actually, I help hire those people.

    Calling IT a 'trade' is no insult; it's just reality. The distinction between profession and trade is the form the education takes; professions emphasize formal academic training while the trades emphasize apprenticeship. Your arguments support my position.
    So professions can only be learned through schooling?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  18. #4488
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Actually, I help hire those people.

    Calling IT a 'trade' is no insult; it's just reality. The distinction between profession and trade is the form the education takes; professions emphasize formal academic training while the trades emphasize apprenticeship. Your arguments support my position.
    you are talking about one relatively small department within IT in any company of appreciable size.
    Most positions within the IT organization of a company that relies to any significant extent on technology require actual college education.

  19. #4489
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...on-the-prairie

    479: Little War on the Prairie
    NOV 23, 2012
    Growing up in Mankato, Minnesota, John Biewen says, nobody ever talked about the most important historical event ever to happen there: in 1862, it was the site of the largest mass execution in U.S. history. Thirty-eight Dakota Indians were hanged after a war with white settlers. John went back to Minnesota to figure out what really happened 150 years ago, and why Minnesotans didn’t talk about it much after.

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

    Talking about Native Americans always makes liberals uncomfortable.
    "mass extinction" lol

  20. #4490
    Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    11,892

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Bill Gates is a tradesman, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

  21. #4491
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    No. You are a tradesman. Bill Gates is an entrepreneur.

  22. #4492
    Member grannock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,507

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I didn't say that either. I said that your arguments are meritless. Got it yet?
    So my arguments are without merit but you agree with me?
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

  23. #4493
    VigoTheCarpathian
    Guest

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Yeah, its like if you said the world is round like a tomato

  24. #4494
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    So my arguments are without merit but you agree with me?
    See now you're just trolling.

  25. #4495
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,601

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    i'm still interested to know if tom thinks ALL IT jobs are "trade work" or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  26. #4496
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I think any job where you learn by doing rather than through academic study constitutes a trade, by definition. Electrical engineering is not a trade, so no, not all "IT" jobs are trades. The kinds of jobs Randy was describing, however, where individuals learn though a sort of informal apprenticeship program, certainly are more like trades than professions.

  27. #4497
    AMBIVALENT bobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    3,858

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think any job where you learn by doing rather than through academic study constitutes a trade, by definition. Electrical engineering is not a trade, so no, not all "IT" jobs are trades. The kinds of jobs Randy was describing, however, where individuals learn though a sort of informal apprenticeship program, certainly are more like trades than professions.
    Couldn't that logic be applied to numerous professions though? Seems like there must be millions of examples of people starting their own businesses without any formal education and learning on the job. To me, "trade" always implied some kind of manual labor or construction.

  28. #4498
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Jesus. the critical difference is how specified the task is that you're performing.

  29. #4499

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think any job where you learn by doing rather than through academic study constitutes a trade, by definition. Electrical engineering is not a trade, so no, not all "IT" jobs are trades. The kinds of jobs Randy was describing, however, where individuals learn though a sort of informal apprenticeship program, certainly are more like trades than professions.
    IT is an ever evolving industry so you're always going to learn new skills on the job by doing rather than though academic studying. Electrical engineering really hasn't changed much, if at all, in the last 30 years.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

  30. #4500
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,486

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    Electrical engineering really hasn't changed much, if at all, in the last 30 years.
    Oh really?

Similar Threads

  1. It's raining Republican filibusters
    By TomAz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
  2. Fuck Reckoner and Fuck Rebellion (lies)...
    By Deviate_420 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM
  3. Why are you voting Republican?
    By faxman75 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 11:51 AM
  4. Tapping of Foot OUTS Republican Senator
    By gaypalmsprings in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM
  5. WHERE THE FUCK IS JET!!?!??!?!
    By vinylmartyr in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •