Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

dissed ?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Something to think about--they fought really hard to keep anyone from labeling something Non-GMO. (Google it--long drawn out court battles) If GMO crops are so great, why are they afraid of people knowing what they are eating? Also, when GMO pollen contaminates organic crops, rendering the crops much less valuable, what does Monsanto do? Sue the farmer (victim) whose crops are compromised. It's only recently that a farmer was allowed to sue Monsanto for damages.

Topic may or not be related, but there are also the raids on raw milk farmers to consider. And, you cannot buy raw almonds grown in California anymore--they have to be pasteurized or spayed with a toxic chemical. If I want to eat raw almonds I have to import them from Spain or somewhere. How retarded is that?

Whether or not you think genetic engineering is a good thing, the way they are going about it is still very wrong.

As with any other tool, I think it (genetic engineering) can be used for good or bad, but there are forces out there trying to make sure we don't have a choice in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
    what does Monsanto do? Sue the farmer (victim) whose crops are compromised.
    on what grounds? what is the basis for their case? how are they claiming they were damaged?

Topic may or not be related, but there are also the raids on raw milk farmers to consider.
    Raw milk is an issue in the EU now too. Brussels has basically banned it and that means a lot of traditional French (& other) cheese makers can't use the traditional methods their families have been doing for centuries.

Whether or not you think genetic engineering is a good thing, the way they are going about it is still very wrong.
    who are 'they' and what are 'they' doing that is 'very wrong'? Be factual.

there are forces out there trying to make sure we don't have a choice in the matter.
    Not even sure what this means. Are you suggesting that a good and just approach would be for you to be able to choose one way to do genetic engineering and me to choose another?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    on what grounds? what is the basis for their case? how are they claiming they were damaged?
    Theft.

Monsanto also sued farmers whose crops were contaminated by Monsanto’s genetically modified seeds planted nearby because these farmers essentially “stole” their patented genes by saving seeds that cross-pollinated with the bio-engineered pollens carried by winds.
    http://www.dailyillini.com/article/2..._as_productive

Seems reasonable.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie

It seems reasonable that your neighbor can plant a crop you don't want that forces you to no longer save your seed for the next harvest? Opening you to litigation? Seriously?

Coachella Junkie

Are you reading the English words Thomathon?

I've never enjoyed the taste of couscous.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

not to mention sometimes simply the wind spreads monsanto seeds and they sue for theft.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    not to mention sometimes simply the wind spreads monsanto seeds and they sue for theft.
    No, that was already mentioned. That's what I said.

Calm down bro. Sarcasm.

edit: sarcasm sparked by your citing a letter to the editor in a college newspaper. Here, Monsanto talks openly about why they sue farmers: http://www.monsanto.com/newsviews/Pa...ave-seeds.aspx
    Last edited by TomAz; 10-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Coachella Junkie

First, no business can survive without being paid for its product.
    How do traditional seed suppliers survive?

Monsanto is the god damn devil.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    My methods would be to point out the flimsiness of the studies, laugh at the "frankenfoods" jokes to dismiss them and educate people about reality. Not to try and re-define phrases (which is what you are doing).
    none of that shit has worked or will work. As long as you continue to allow people to think that selective breeding is somehow "natural" while "genetic engineering" is something entirely different, you prevent them from seeing this general process for what it is. You have to expose this and separate the ignorant from the genuine hypocrites.

Genetic engineering is not a concept. It's a technique. (Or a series of techniques. Whatever).
    no need to continue this. You love the dictionary definition. I get it. You're not going to convince me that I somehow don't understand how people use (and misuse) a dictionary.

I'm going to start calling all electronic music "dub step." People would like dub step more if they just reflected on the greater concept. All electronic music is about dubbing, and about steps. So all electronic music should be called dub step. Who's your favorite dub step artist? Mine my be Underworld (well, at least when Darren Emerson was around). Or maybe Squarepusher. I made a short film in college for an engineering class and the soundtrack had a lot of dub step, Moby, the Chemical Brothers, the Crystal Method, it was great.
    Don't you see the that the premise for your little example actually proves my point? You're starting from a position where you took a broader concept, applied a narrow term for it that you know only refers to an offshoot of it, and then appear to be trying to mock me with an example that demonstrates exactly what I've been trying to. In this example you KNOW dubstep is too narrow a term. You for some reason crafted the argument that way. But with "genetic engineering" you're denying that it ever started as something larger. You're being obtuse.

The point you will not accept is that this isn't really about "redefining the term". If you just pay attention to the WORDS themselves you'd realize there's no need. It lends itself to the broader concept, and the only problem is you and others can't get over the fancy techno terms and think this is something that can only be done by geeks in lab coats. It's just about opening up the concept so people understand that we've been doing essentially THIS for ages, and it's generally worked out for the better. It's not trickery or manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Don't you see the that the premise for your little example actually proves my point? You're starting from a position where you took a broader concept, applied a narrow term for it that you know only refers to an offshoot of it, and then appear to be trying to mock me with an example that demonstrates exactly what I've been trying to. In this example you KNOW dubstep is too narrow a term. You for some reason crafted the argument that way. But with "genetic engineering" you're denying that it ever started as something larger. You're being obtuse.
    I am not sure what you are saying.

In truth I believe "dub step" should refer to Skrillex (and Burial but that's a different fight) et al, because that is the accepted definition. That is what other people will think when I say "dub step."

I think that bit you quote ("I'm going to start calling all electronic music 'dub step'") is baldly dumb and wrongheaded. It doesn't make any more sense to say that "they were always playing dub step" than it does to say "they were always doing genetic engineering."

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    The point you will not accept is that this isn't really about "redefining the term". If you just pay attention to the WORDS themselves you'd realize there's no need.
    Trying to figure out what things are by looking at only the words (and ignoring history and usage) is fraught. What kind of music is shoegaze? Please explain 2-step garage from the words themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I am not sure what you are saying.

In truth I believe "dub step" should refer to Skrillex (and Burial but that's a different fight) et al, because that is the accepted definition. That is what other people will think when I say "dub step."

I think that bit you quote ("I'm going to start calling all electronic music 'dub step'") is baldly dumb and wrongheaded. It doesn't make any more sense to say that "they were always playing dub step" than it does to say "they were always doing genetic engineering."

Trying to figure out what things are by looking at only the words (and ignoring history and usage) is fraught. What kind of music is shoegaze? Please explain 2-step garage from the words themselves.
    These analogies are useless. You're using an example of a genre of music that we all know is naturally a subset of a larger set of music in an attempt to analogize an entirely different kind of concept and a term which I reject should refer to a subset. It's as if you thought this example might make this obvious to me when your premise was worthless. It doesn't fit. I think you know it doesn't too. Your example may have made more sense if you used a term like "techno" (which some people interpret different ways, but still wouldn't work because the whole discussion of music genres is worthless in this context).

And as far as the words thing. Are you really trying to get me to attempt to say that "shoe gaze" is somehow a term invites itself to be interpreted in terms of the literal word definitions? You really think this somehow proves a point? shoe gaze and 2-step are esoteric terms. The words themselvse are not really meant to be descriptive of a musical quality. "Genetic" and "engineering" are two generic words which can be interpreted outside the context of the EXACT thing you think they should ONLY apply to. I'm sorry you can't see this.

The sky is blue.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

It's like a glamour shots for men. 90's bro for VP!
    Last edited by Tubesock Shakur; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    *Now since Romney is a boring stiff.. what would make his VP more "cool"... you know, to grab the youth vote?*

*Oh, I know!! Put a backwards hat on him!*

*Okay, this is good. Now we have to show that he's got a lot of male strength....*

*Gym-Tan-Laundry up in this mutha!*

*Booya bro, this shit is tizight*

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

President Ryan. Has a nice ring to it.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    President Ryan. Has a nice ring to it.
    Mitt's way ahead of you.

Well the old guy is winning so far I think....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Paul Ryan reminds me of Lucas from One Tree Hill.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

This debate is so much better:

Eight hundred million billion dollars!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ryan finally picked up the idea from Joe to "speak to the audience" a bit. Joe has done that a number of times. cr****

i love how the tax plan specifics are never coming out. i only heard what i could while i was driving, but holy fuck JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION, CLARE!

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i love how the tax plan specifics are never coming out. i only heard what i could while i was driving, but holy fuck JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION, CLARE!
    Since you didn't see it at all, you might hear a bit about how Biden LOL'd a bit much. Could have just been me. cr****