Page 134 of 180 FirstFirst ... 129130131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,020 of 5390

Thread: Fuck the Republican Party.

  1. #3991

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Jack, you're using a made up definition and continue to argue against strawmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

  2. #3992
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,355

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Jack, you're using a made up definition and continue to argue against strawmen. Sure, bad people somewhere try to paint artificial selection as great and genetic engineering as all problems but they are not here and that is no reason to push a custom usage that isn't going to fix anything anyway.
    I know you love to accuse me of claiming you're missing the point, but please bear with me. I'm not sure how much plainer I can be when I said that it is people that claim what you and bottomfeeder are claiming that is causing much of the paranoia around GMO. That is my point. I'm not creating any straw men here. I'm not claiming someone is holding positions they are not. Someone emphatically claimed GMO and cross-breeding are very different things, but in the context of this discussion they are actually similar and that denial is somewhat of a hypocrisy.
    I do assume you know the actual difference , and while YOU may not be trying to paint Mendel as a hero and Monsanto as the villain, your insistance on driving a wedge between the concepts is what helps perpetuate the misunderstandings as to what GMO is and it's relative danger.

    And how am I making up a damn definition? You insist on using the term "genetic engineering" as a specific technological term and refusing to realize what the two words actually mean. Whether directly splice a gene or mate a strain, you are engeering the genes and corresponding traits of the offspring. It doesn't matter historically people didn't know that genes were involved. I'm not being obtuse with the defninition, you're being to narrow with it. You may not be trying to be deceptive as some might try to be but it's still an ignorant and potentially misleading interpretation of the term. Yours is the custom usage of the term, not mine.

    And acceptance that this has happened always is part of what's going to reduce people's natural paranoia over the concept of GMO. There's an interesting chapter that talks about this in Stephen Pinker's The Blank Slate. People have an evolutionary hard wiring which leaves them victim to the natural fallacy, basically assuming that everything natural must be best. We have an innate phobia of anything unnatural. The truth is that nature always takes the easiest path, not necessarily the correct one. And modifying organisms to do what nature did not, is not necessarily a bad thing.

    People seem to get this with selective breeding, and seem to brush off the dangers involved. For instance, about 150 years ago the Phylloxera aphid almost wiped out all vineyards in France. This was largely because the vines were so carefully bred that they wound up all being exposed to narrow threats. So "genetic engineering" almost wiped out wine in Europe. "Genetic engineering" also saved it when they learned they could graft graft american labrusca stems to European vinifera vines and create phylloxera resistan strains. So genetic engineering almost proved disasterous in the not so distant past several times (and it's likely caused many other disasters that people didn't even properly associated with horticulture and husbandry) but people have accepted that it's an overall decent strategy. They have to get over it again now.

    So the point is that if people were to understand that their food has been engineered for ages, they might get over their phobias of this new, faster method of genetic engineering. People screaming "don't be stupid, they're not the same thing" are missing the point.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-08-2012 at 04:27 PM.

  3. #3993
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,766

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    It's 'engineering' in that it's a scientific (practical application) attempt to make something that doesn't already exist, with a specific goal or purpose in mind. And it involves making new genes. Hence, genetic engineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  4. #3994
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,766

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    It's as if someone were to claim that chemical engineering only comprises atomic manipulation a la buckyballs and that the centuries of work prior to 1986 in that field don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  5. #3995
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    No, it wouldn't. Chemical Engineering is a discipline, a field. There are degrees, academic and professional societies that give it definition. There are related/competing fields that also help define the boundaries (though of course there is some overlap).

    I think the problem may be that you are looking it and only seeing the results. Yes, both artificial selection and genetic engineering yield new stuff. But they're taught and practiced differently, by different people, involve incredibly different techniques and their results are not entirely overlapping.

    I agree that the public should have concerns with artificial selection. I agree that genetic engineering is important for our future. But I don't think disinformation by rebranding them into one entity is going to help anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  6. #3996
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Also: genetic engineering is a subset of, a method of artificial selection, not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  7. #3997
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,355

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    you're being recklessly obstinate. According to your view, someone like Newton couldn't even be called a physicist because in his day the field was called natural philosophy. Nobody gave him a degree in physics. And Gregor Mendel a bioligist? C'mon who taught him biology in that monestary? You just won't let go of your view of "engineering" as being something that can only be done with a modern degree and perhaps a lab coat. It's not worth continuing this dicsussion.

    However, for your own sake, please understand how your last comment is insane. Read the words. You agree that the outcomes and goals are ultimately the same, yet you seem to think the action of deliberately and manually pairing two individuals to mate and produce an offspring that shares common traits is somehow a more general method of engineering genes than "genetic engineering", which even if we take your incredibly narrow definition, entails splicing genes directly in a lab. You're not combining sets of genes, you're taking a full set and inserting new ones. These are two different branches of the same notion. This makes me think you aren't quite prepared to discuss this.

  8. #3998
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    It isn't my terminology.

    Are you still trying to claim that "genetic engineering encompasses artificial selection" is the common, accepted understanding rather than the other way around? If so please provide citations.

    Your Newton/Mendel diversion seems to suggest that you have abandoned that fantasy and are pushing for me to accept a new definition, one that ignores how it is used by the scientists doing the work. Also retroactively calling what Newton by the specific name (physics) rather than the general name (natural philosophy) is the opposite of what you're trying to do. We're not trying to use the term phsyics for all of what natural philosophy covered but you're trying to use genetic engineering for all of artificial selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  9. #3999
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    You agree that the outcomes and goals are ultimately the same
    I do not and I specifically said so.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    yet you seem to think the action of deliberately and manually pairing two individuals to mate and produce an offspring that shares common traits is somehow a more general method of engineering genes
    I do not think artificial selection is a method of engineering genes. You just don't have that level of control.

    If we're going to call artificial selection a "method of engineering genes" we might as well throw natural selection (eg having babies) in there too.


    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    than "genetic engineering", which even if we take your incredibly narrow definition, entails splicing genes directly in a lab.
    Again, this is not my definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  10. #4000
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,355

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    It isn't my terminology.

    Are you still trying to claim that "genetic engineering encompasses artificial selection" is the common, accepted understanding rather than the other way around? If so please provide citations.
    um. jesus christ no. For the last time, I can't even fathom how many times I might have to state this plain and batant point that IF people understood that these concepts are really the same then society in general would be more willing to get over the largely irrational fear of GMO foods.
    The fact that these concepts are NOT currently understood to be united IS the problem. fucks sake. I'm not pushing you to accept a new definition. It's always been there, and it's obvious. It's just that most people haven't thought about it enough to make the connection. This is only English I'm speaking here.

    The rest of your post is really not worthy of response, but your desperate wordplay in an attempt to accuse me of wordplay is confusing.

    Here's the point of that Newton/Mendel bit. Do you accept that Newton was doing physics, and Mendel was doing biology? I took for granted that you would admit that. Perhaps I was wrong. Do you?



    Btw, artificial selection IS a method of engineering offspring with desirable traits. These traits are expressions of genes. In that context they are synonymous. You are engineering combinations of traits/genes. It sounds like your ONLY argument against this is that "genes" weren't discovered until long after the practice artificial selection began. But of course you'll tell me you never said that and once more refuse to say what you mean. And what exactly is your definition of "genetic engineering" then? Seriously, what are you talking about?



    btw I'm also disappointed we dont have a bunch of posts complaining about ruining this thread. It's almost not worth carrying on this argument if we don't get those.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-09-2012 at 09:26 AM.

  11. #4001

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    small government
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

  12. #4002
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,849

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Is no one scared about the new polls?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  13. #4003
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    And what exactly is your definition of "genetic engineering" then?
    It is not MY definition. It is THE definition. Use


    Quote Originally Posted by a fucking dictionary
    the development and application of scientific methods, procedures, and technologies that permit direct manipulation of genetic material in order to alter the hereditary traits of a cell, organism, or population.


    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Genetic engineering alters the genetic makeup of an organism using techniques that remove heritable material or that introduce DNA prepared outside the organism either directly into the host or into a cell that is then fused or hybridized with the host.[1] This involves using recombinant nucleic acid (DNA or RNA) techniques to form new combinations of heritable genetic material followed by the incorporation of that material either indirectly through a vector system or directly through micro-injection, macro-injection and micro-encapsulation techniques.

    Genetic engineering does not include traditional animal and plant breeding, in vitro fertilisation, induction of polyploidy, mutagenesis and cell fusion techniques that do not use recombinant nucleic acids or a genetically modified organism in the process. Cloning and stem cell research, although not considered genetic engineering, are closely related and genetic engineering can be used within them. Synthetic biology is an emerging discipline that takes genetic engineering a step further by introducing artificially synthesized genetic material from raw materials into an organism.


    or whatever the fuck you want for "my definition."

    Words are so that people can communicate. You are using your own custom definition of genetic engineering that has nothing do with the historical usage of the term, but rather something to do with your interpretation the meaning of the words in the term. And you're doing so to try to manipulate people into something. Fuck that.



    And of course Newton was doing physics. And I'm OK calling Mendel not just a biologist but a geneticist. Some person who only bred their strongest stallions with the strongest mares was doing artificial selection even before there was a name for it. But none of them were doing genetic engineering because they weren't cutting up genes.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 10-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  14. #4004

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Is no one scared about the new polls?
    Whatever happens, happens.

    Smug asshole thought he had it in the bag.

    http://politicalwire.com/archives/20...bate_prep.html

    President Obama "did not take his debate preparation seriously, ignored the advice of senior aides and walked off the stage in Denver believing he had got the better of Mitt Romney," Toby Harnden reports.

    A top Democrat "said that Obama's inner circle was dismayed at the 'disaster' that the first presidential debate had turned out to be and believed that the central problem was that the President was so disdainful of Romney that he didn't believe he needed to engage with him... The Democrat, who is aligned with the Obama campaign and has been an unofficial adviser on occasions, said that David Axelrod, Obama's chief strategist, was stunned that the President left the stage feeling that he had won the debate."
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

  15. #4005
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,305

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Not yet, Amy. The polls we saw yesterday and today are the height of the debate's impact on voters, and there is a good case that the trackers are already showing a regression in Romney's support:



    Plenty of reason to believe Romney helped himself, but unless we see polls early next week establishing a clear Romney lead, I think a full-blown freakout is premature.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  16. #4006
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Btw, artificial selection IS a method of engineering offspring with desirable traits. These traits are expressions of genes. In that context they are synonymous. You are engineering combinations of traits/genes. It sounds like your ONLY argument against this is that "genes" weren't discovered until long after the practice artificial selection began.
    That is not my argument. My argument is that the term "genetic engineering" has an accepted usage.

    Artificial selection is the generic term. Selective breeding is another, less technical generic term.

    There are many types of Artificial Selection. Having a spotted dog fuck a long haired dog hoping for spotted long-haired puppies is Artificial Selection. Isolating DNA that causes long-hair, playing with it and inserting it into the genome of a spotted dog to grow spotted long-haired puppies is a very different thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  17. #4007
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,849

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Mitch, I am just a bit edgy this week, and those polls add to it. Thanks for the encouraging words.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

  18. #4008
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,355

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    It is not MY definition. It is THE definition. Use






    or whatever the fuck you want for "my definition."

    Words are so that people can communicate. You are using your own custom definition of genetic engineering that has nothing do with the historical usage of the term, but rather something to do with your interpretation the meaning of the words in the term. And you're doing so to try to manipulate people into something. Fuck that.
    YES. HOLY FUCK YES! The wikipedia definition is what most poeple think of. YES it is the common accepted defintion, I have never denied that.
    All I've been saying is that narrow definition is what makes people unnecessarily disassociate the concepts. If you placed one ounce of thought into the subject instead of banging away on the dictionary definiton, you'd understand the point is what you perceive as two different thigns is basically the same, and if you accept one then you implicitly accept the other. The strict definition is part of the problem. But if you couldn't get that the first dozen times I don't know what the fuck the point of droning on about it is. Just go away.

    People have been engineering traits, and thus the genes, for millenia. NOW STOP with the fucking retarded semantics argument. I would have thought this was beneath you, but you're arguing in a spectacularly desperate fashion here. All you seem to want to do here is say bunch of shit that draws out to an obvious conclusion and then say "no I'm not arguing that". You're not arguing anything. Just cut it out.

    I laid it a perfectly clear definition of what you're claiming genetic engineering to be (directly inserting genes), and then you say "that's not my definition". then you post a dictionary defintion which essentially says just that. You obviously don't know what genetic engineers do.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 10-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.

  19. #4009
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,766

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Not yet, Amy. The polls we saw yesterday and today are the height of the debate's impact on voters, and there is a good case that the trackers are already showing a regression in Romney's support:



    Plenty of reason to believe Romney helped himself, but unless we see polls early next week establishing a clear Romney lead, I think a full-blown freakout is premature.
    Reuters says they're tied today. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...89814820121009

    Rasmussen (yeah, I know, but still) says they're tied today: http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ..._tracking_poll

    Huff Post meta-poll says Obama's leading but it's a lot closer than it had been: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1947777.html


    By the way, Mitch, where do you weigh in on the highly divisive issue of defining genetic engineering? Are you with the Plain English folks (jackstraw) or the Scientists Think They Can Co-opt The Language folks (mountmccabe)?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  20. #4010
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    YES. HOLY FUCK YES! The wikipedia definition is what most poeple think of. YES it is the common accepted defintion, I have never denied that.
    All I've been saying is that narrow definition is what makes people unnecessarily disassociate the concepts. If you placed one ounce of thought into the subject instead of banging away on the dictionary definiton, you'd understand the point is what you perceive as two different thigns is basically the same, and if you accept one then you implicitly accept the other. The strict definition is part of the problem. But if you couldn't get that the first dozen times I don't know what the fuck the point of droning on about it is. Just go away.

    People have been engineering traits, and thus the genes, for millenia. NOW STOP with the fucking retarded semantics argument. I would have thought this was beneath you, but you're arguing in a spectacularly desperate fashion here. All you seem to want to do here is say bunch of shit that draws out to an obvious conclusion and then say "no I'm not arguing that". You're not arguing anything. Just cut it out.
    Bullshit. You have been going over and over call it "my definition" and claiming ignorance.

    I understand your point that these two things are the same but I disagree wholeheartedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  21. #4011
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I laid it a perfectly clear definition of what you're claiming genetic engineering to be (directly inserting genes), and then you say "that's not my definition". then you post a dictionary defintion which essentially says just that. You obviously don't know what genetic engineers do.
    Wait, what?

    Here:

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    It is not MY definition. It is THE definition. Use
    I was taking issue with your characterization of the definition I was using as unique (or at least local) to me. "MY" is in all caps for emphasis.

    But just to be clear, yes, I am using the dictionary definition. I am not the one trying to manipulate folks into something.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  22. #4012
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    By the way, Mitch, where do you weigh in on the highly divisive issue of defining genetic engineering? Are you with the Plain English folks (jackstraw) or the Scientists Think They Can Co-opt The Language folks (mountmccabe)?
    Or, put another way, the folks ignoring common and historic usage because it fits their agenda (jackstraw) or the folks that prefer communicating honestly and clearly (naively) trusting that people will make reasonable decisions if you treat them like adults (mountmccabe).

    The fun part is that we both like GMOs!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  23. #4013
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,766

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I like GMOs sauteed in butter and served with couscous and a side salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  24. #4014
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,355

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Wait, what?
    Look at the bottom of this post

    Here:

    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

    I was taking issue with your characterization of the definition I was using as unique (or at least local) to me. "MY" is in all caps for emphasis.

    But just to be clear, yes, I am using the dictionary definition. I am not the one trying to manipulate folks into something.
    no no. I've never said your definition wasn't the common one. I've only said it's too narrow. I'm not accusing you of misusing the language. Only not listening to it thoughtfully. I'm assuming you do get that dictionaries don't necessarily create the defitions for terms (they'd have to exist before language in order to do that), they only document what is commonly understood by them. And the common understanding is not always correct. Words and terms get shaped by culture. Lay culture is pigeonholing this term only because the word gene is relatively new. If you admit that "science" didn't exist as a concept or process before someone coined the term then you admit this argument.

    and I don't know why you insist on calling it manipulation. I'm only asking people to reflect on a the greater concept. If people really understood what GMO is and still are against it then that's fine. I suspect many many folks when they realize that is actually happening (instead of being misguided by propaganda about "frankenfoods" and flimsy concocted cancer studies) then they'd have less aversion to it. Genetic engineering (AS A CONCEPT) is why we have giant fruits and fat cows with ridiculous amounts of milk, etc. There's some bad that comes with the good, but the good far outweighs.

    That's all. You don't need convincing of that. Most seem to, and it's because they're understanding is partially constrained by strict terms.

  25. #4015

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Latest Swing State Polls
    Here are the latest polls from the battleground states:

    Colorado: Romney 50%, Obama 46% (American Research Group)

    Nevada: Obama 47%, Romney 47% (Rasmussen)

    North Carolina: Romney 50%, Obama 41% (Gravis)

    Ohio: Romney 48%, Obama 47% (American Research Group)

    Ohio: Obama 45%, Romney 44% (SurveyUSA)

    Pennsylvania: Obama 43%, Romney 40% (Siena)
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

  26. #4016

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Not yet, Amy. The polls we saw yesterday and today are the height of the debate's impact on voters, and there is a good case that the trackers are already showing a regression in Romney's support:



    Plenty of reason to believe Romney helped himself, but unless we see polls early next week establishing a clear Romney lead, I think a full-blown freakout is premature.

    everything in politics is momentum .. It has to be with the short attention span of our public & social media.
    It probably was a strategy to dull down the 1st debate and hammer Mitt on the Foreign Policy one...

    Also when there is a serious international event or threat near an election people tend to vote incumbent ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

  27. #4017
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hell's Kitchen
    Posts
    11,936

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Ah, OK. I can see how that could be misinterpreted. The idea is the same as in the post of mine that I quoted with EMPHASIS. I was pointing out that no, this was not my own personal definition but the common, accepted one (and yes, I am using it).

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    no no. I've never said your definition wasn't the common one.
    Yes, you did [this quote is from an older post]:

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Yours is the custom usage of the term, not mine.
    (to be clear: yes, I understand this quote uses the word "custom" rather than "common." My assertion here is that the usage is the same in this context).


    (Now I am back to replying to the recent post)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    If you admit that "science" didn't exist as a concept or process before someone coined the term then you admit this argument.
    This has never been my argument. It would be fine to retrofit the term "genetic engineering" onto selective breeding and whatnot if "genetic engineering" had not already been taken by a sub-field.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    and I don't know why you insist on calling it manipulation.
    Because there is an accepted definition of "genetic engineering" and you are trying to use those words to mean something larger.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I'm only asking people to reflect on a the greater concept. If people really understood what GMO is and still are against it then that's fine. I suspect many many folks when they realize that is actually happening (instead of being misguided by propaganda about "frankenfoods" and flimsy concocted cancer studies) then they'd have less aversion to it.
    My methods would be to point out the flimsiness of the studies, laugh at the "frankenfoods" jokes to dismiss them and educate people about reality. Not to try and re-define phrases (which is what you are doing).


    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Genetic engineering (AS A CONCEPT)
    Genetic engineering is not a concept. It's a technique. (Or a series of techniques. Whatever).


    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    is why we have giant fruits and fat cows with ridiculous amounts of milk, etc. There's some bad that comes with the good, but the good far outweighs.

    That's all. You don't need convincing of that.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Most seem to, and it's because they're understanding is partially constrained by strict terms.
    I'm going to start calling all electronic music "dub step." People would like dub step more if they just reflected on the greater concept. All electronic music is about dubbing, and about steps. So all electronic music should be called dub step. Who's your favorite dub step artist? Mine my be Underworld (well, at least when Darren Emerson was around). Or maybe Squarepusher. I made a short film in college for an engineering class and the soundtrack had a lot of dub step, Moby, the Chemical Brothers, the Crystal Method, it was great.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 10-09-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  28. #4018
    The Encyclopedia bmack86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bishop, CA
    Posts
    28,025

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    But guys, big, red and pretty tomatoes don't have as many flavor compounds as heirlooms. They genetically engineered the flavor away (or did they selectively breed it away...)
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

  29. #4019
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,766

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    They genetically engineered it by selective breeding. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  30. #4020
    zeezus amyzzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Arizzzona
    Posts
    40,849

    Default Re: Fuck the Republican Party.

    I will have to remember to read this exchange some night when I am struck with insomnia.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Similar Threads

  1. It's raining Republican filibusters
    By TomAz in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-21-2013, 08:45 AM
  2. Fuck Reckoner and Fuck Rebellion (lies)...
    By Deviate_420 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 10:50 PM
  3. Why are you voting Republican?
    By faxman75 in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2008, 10:51 AM
  4. Tapping of Foot OUTS Republican Senator
    By gaypalmsprings in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
  5. WHERE THE FUCK IS JET!!?!??!?!
    By vinylmartyr in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •