Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcasts. No clever thread titles, just podcasts.

Default Podcasts. No clever thread titles, just podcasts.

I finally pulled the trigger on XM after being a subscriber since 2003 or so. It had deteriorated so much, I was down to listening to one show, Ron & Fez. And only half of that show, since Fez has become a basket case in an uncomfortable kind of way. I decided to invest a big $6.99 on BeyondPod for my Android and depend on podcasts and Audiogalaxy for my driving entertainment.

I subscribed to the basics...WTF with Mark Maron, The Nerdist, stuff from NPR I had always used to listen to when I had a weekend. Faxman recommended Reasonable Discussions and All Songs Considered. I discovered How Did This Get Made? a while back and had listened to it on my laptop a few times, so I picked that up.

But, those are all basically just interview or panel discussion shows. I decided to dig a little deeper today and find something a bit different. The first three things I've tried are all fantastic.

The Pod F Tompkast is my favorite so far. Unfortunately, Paul doesn't put them out very often and I've already listened to 3 of the 13 full episodes. Tompkins delivers a rambling, slightly drunken improvised monologue with live musical accompaniment (piano, and random, disconcerting beeping) to string together various repeating segments. One is a continuing radio play about a film collaboration between an old-timey pretentious blowhard and a lisping Ice-T. He plays a skit recorded at his monthly Largo live show with a guest star. We listen in to a phone conversation with his friend and my comedy crush Jen Kirkman. But the rambling is the highlight.

Comedy Bang Bang, the podcast version of Comedy Death Ray, sounds like a typical comedy interview show, but the episode I listened to turned into a brilliant long-form improv experiment. Andy Daly was the guest, playing a character named Chip who was running for Honorary Mayor of Hollywood...by the end, the host and other guest had pushed the conversation into hilariously dark territory that I shouldn't spoil. I don't know if they are all this brilliant, but I will be working my way back.

Finally, it's a really simple show, but I really enjoyed Mike And Tom Eat Snacks.

One thing I've noticed is how incestuous these shows are...I don't know how many times I've heard John Hodgman. (Always a good guest, though I didn't care for his own show Judge John Hodgman.) It's kind of good because you get introduced to other shows. I discovered Indoor Kids when the host guested on HDTGM? And the next thing I'm trying is Thrilling Adventure Hour, which also features Tompkins. But it would be nice to check out a different clique. Any suggestions? Hey, that's what this thread is for! What podcasts do you enjoy, and why?

I could use some more music related podcasts, All Songs Considered is really the only one I'm listening to.

Default Re: Podcasts. No clever thread titles, just podcasts.

Hey, Marc. Did you ever listen to Opie and Anthony?
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Yes, for many years. Still did, really, but Ron & Fez was the reason I was paying. It just wasn't reason enough.

So...podcasts? I bet Hannah has suggestions.

I recommend the Slate podcasts: Hand Up and Listen (sports), Culture Gabfest, and Political Gabfest.

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts.html

Each is about 45 minutes once a week.

This week`s topics (which are typical):
    Hang Up and Listen: College Football, Tim Tebow, a book on Lebron James.
    Culture Gabfest: J. Edgar, Univision, British magazine Private Eye.
    Political Gabfest: Eviction of Occupy Wall Street, Affordable Care Act goes to Supreme Court, John Dickerson`s faux pas at the last debate.

They`re all somewhat left-leaning (except HUAL), but they`re all very listenable.
    "This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies is my favorite podcast to listen to. He has great guests and the Leonard Maltin Game is very entertaining. Highly recommended, especially if you love movies.

I'm a fan of the usual suspects like Adam Carolla, Joe Rogan, and Bill Simmons. Have to check out Benson's as well
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

I'll check out the Gabfests...I know nothing about sports. There's already too much sports talk on Sklarbro Country, but I deal with it if there's a good guest.

I listened to a little Doug Loves Movies this morning...it had 3 guests in character, including Paul F Tompkins doing the Cake Boss character from his show. I should probably try a normal one.

I do like Joe Rogan on a long drive, but geez his shows are too long. It's pretty interesting for pot talk, though. I love how he will start doing a sponsor promo and go off on a tangent about taking DMT or something and bring it back around 20 minutes later with "...so buy __________. Yeah, that was a commercial!" I've always hated Carolla on everything else, so I haven't tried. I've never heard of Bill Simmons.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

have you ever tried Radiolab? That show is endlessly fascinating. The Dinner Party Download and Too Beautiful To Live are good too.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    have you ever tried Radiolab? That show is endlessly fascinating. The Dinner Party Download and Too Beautiful To Live are good too.
    Ha. I was about to recommend all of these, Drinkey. I think The Dinner Party Download has been expanded to an hour now. Or maybe that was just a special episode. A couple of others are....

The Story with Dick Gordon. Everyday people tell extraordinary stories from their lives. Everything from an undercover revolutionary in Syria to a college kid who had a disastrous intern experience at McSweeney's. Gordon really knows how to guide the interviews and then step out of the way and let his "ordinary folk" guests be the stars.

Also The Moth. It's stand-up for story telling. Sometimes funny, sometimes just interesting but always (at least by their rules) true.

Those sound perfect, RAtA.

Someone mentioned Radiolab to me early on, but I tried out a different piece of software before BeyondPod, and when I looked up Radiolab, I got like 50 different things. Then I forgot about it.

Sklarboro Country is highly entertaining even for non sports junkies. The Chris Cox bits are piss your pants funny, especially "racist Vin Scully".

Freakonomics Radio also worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorAve View Post
    Careful, while the threats are amusingly clueless, I could probably have this whole board shut down with one phone call.

you into kevin smith? a lot of stuff his stuff is too much for me, with him talking and interrupting way too much, but he has a whole stable of shows on his smodcast network. the very first episodes of "jay and silent bob get old" are amazing with jay telling in every little detail his bout with drug addicition. jay mohr has a sometimes decent show. also listen to "hollywood babble on" with kevin smith and ralph garman from kroq a lot.

I'm the same way with Kevin Smith...I like him, but he got a little too far into this podcast business. I listened to a couple of "...get old" and they were interesting, I'll go back to the beginning.

I really just came back to say I listened to every episode of Pod F Tompkast while I was moving this week. His ability to ramble humorously is unrivaled. Also, I didn't realize that the "old timey pretentious blowhard" was supposed to be Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    So...podcasts? I bet Hannah has suggestions.
    I could have sworn that at one point, we had a thread about podcasts, and that Hannah had a list of suggestions in it... but I think that thread had a clever title, thus rendering it too hard to search for.

Or I could just be thinking of some un-aired episode of the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

By the way, I used to love listening to The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. (EDIT: I still love listening to it. I don't listen to it as much as I used to though, simply because I have a habit of wasting my time doing stupid things. But, now and then, I like to look and see if I missed any real interesting ones and listen to them on a slow day.)

It is once a week, a little over an hour (I think), and done by some people of the New England Skeptic Society. It is just the right mix of interesting news, funny commentary, and there have been some great interviews. They basically run-down recent news on pseudo-science, make fun of everything, explain the logical fallacies, and then they answer e-mails and do other segments.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    I listened to a little Doug Loves Movies this morning...it had 3 guests in character, including Paul F Tompkins doing the Cake Boss character from his show. I should probably try a normal one.
    Haa.. yeah, you should. That's a bizarre episode. Try the one with John Lithgow from last year. Or really any of the episodes that have a live audience.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Haa.. yeah, you should. That's a bizarre episode. Try the one with John Lithgow from last year. Or really any of the episodes that have a live audience.
    They do Doug Goes To the Movies live at UCB before Comedy Deathray (the show, not podcast - but Doug Benson is doing is podcast live) pretty often and it is fucking hysterical in person
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Doug Benson's Doug Loves Movies is my favorite podcast to listen to. He has great guests and the Leonard Maltin Game is very entertaining. Highly recommended, especially if you love movies.
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    I'm a fan of the usual suspects like Adam Carolla, Joe Rogan, and Bill Simmons. Have to check out Benson's as well
    Adam is also good. I can't stand listening to Rogan too much, he gets crazier every time I hear him speak. Makes me not even wanna smoke weed thinking I might start sounding crazy. I use to really enjoy Rogan, now he easily gets on my nerves.

Not too much to contribute that hasn't been listed, but I'm interested in checking out some of what others add to this.

If there are any Phil Hendrie fans out there, the legendary (in certain circles) radio comedian now has a Classic Bits podcast in which he introduces a bit from one of his prior broadcasts in the late 90s to mid 2000s. They're usually no longer than 10 minutes. I wish he'd make the full segments available, but I guess you have to pay for more extensive stuff. If you're not familiar, Phil hosts (or at least used to host) what at first seems like a seemingly regular radio talk show. He has a guest on each hour to talk about a certain subject. The hour usually starts relatively normally but fairly soon the guest is saying something completely outrageous. For example, regular Bobbie Dooley (a snooty West Side stay-at-home-Mom) was on to talk about how she was having her husband shoot the neighbors cats because she believed they were engaging in non-consensual sex and, as a result, setting a bad example for her daughters. People call in and argue with these outrageous guests but they don't realize that Phil is actually doing all of these voices himself; sometimes 3 or 4 of them in the same segment. It's utter madness. Men, women, young, old, every race and background imaginable. I think he's also done voices on King of the Hill, South Park and Team America, but his real forte is the radio stuff. Here, Gary Oldman explains why he's so brilliant...

Wow, I haven't listened to Phil Hendrie in years. Yeah, seems like you need to listen to the whole hour to get the full effect.

SiriusXM is still good stuff...
    As far as talk radio..Stern, OutQ (the gay channel), ...but then again that's not what you're looking for.

Podcasts/internet shows I like and recommend:
    This American Life
    Radiolab
    Savage Love
    Totally Rad Show
    Diggnation

Very much enjoying Roderick on The Line:

The city of Luxembourg is like a train set [...] they built it on this ravine, and it's always kind of shrouded in fog, and it looks like people have taken lichen out of a bag and glued it to little pieces of rock that they've made out of felt. It's a beautiful place. If I was ever going to go on a honeymoon somewhere, and it wasn't to a beach, I would go on a honeymoon to Luxembourg. Because you feel like a princess there. Even the groom feels like a princess in Luxembourg.

For fans of: John Roderick, Merlin Mann&/orYLNT, sheep dismantling, office supplies, shame.

Thanks for the bump, Hannah.

A few months later, and I still haven't found anything to beat The Pod F Tompkast. But I've listened to all the old ones now, and it only comes out once a month.

I found I can't stand Radiolab, even though so many people suggested it. The editing/rhythm of it drives me nuts. I do like The Smartest Man In The World, which is pretty much a full 60-90 minutes of Greg Proops stand up every week or two, which is amazing that he can produce so much. His voice can be grating, and he's a huge asshole, but he certainly has an interesting worldview. I admit I turn it off half way though sometimes.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is usually great, depending on what series it is. Apparently, it's a stage show where they perform several different serialized old-time radio shows. My favorites are "Sparks Nevada, Marshall On Mars" and "Beyond Belief." But there was a terrible series about 40s movie actors , narrated by the Lone Ranger's sidekick. Luckily that seems to be over.

I like Too Beautiful To Live . I'm not sure why, for one thing it's somewhat regional (from Seattle). Apparently, it's a canceled nighttime radio talkshow that they turned into an afternoon daily podcast. It's kind of poorly produced, but the hosts are pretty charming and they just ramble about what's going on in the news for 45 minutes or so. It's my backup podcast if my favorites didn't release anything that day.

This exists. Apparently.

ALSO, new You Look Nice Today after more than a year of dormancy? Holy fucking shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    This exists. Apparently.
    His interviews with Lorne Michaels and Chris Rock were pretty good.

'm a drone at a typical office job that allows headphones. The fact that his podcasts are close to 3 hours long and his guests have gotten progressively better, The Joe Rogan Experience is my favorite podcast. If you don't like a good 2 1/2 hour talk with Joey Diaz, you can go fuck yourself.

Also, Deathsquad's The Naughty show. Comedy podcast interviewing porn stars.

Other than that, I strongly recommend Psychedelic Salon. They showcase archived lectures from the great Terence McKenna, Timothy Leary and other great writers/scientists. Brilliant.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

my favorite podcast has to be the boiler room. seriously great mixes.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/b...om/id416373570

December 31 - Matthew Dear/The Sword/Pallbearer
    January 30 - Behemoth
    February 3 - Zola Jesus
    February 10 - 1349
    February 28 - A Place To Bury Strangers
    April 6 - Swans
    April 10-12 - Coachella
    April 17 - Clark/Nosaj Thing
    May 8-10 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 15-17 - Psycho California
    June 24-28 - Glastonbury

been scarfing down episodes of Serial
    http://serialpodcast.org/
    WHAT IS SERIAL?

Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial will follow one story - a true story - over the course of a whole season.

SEASON ONE

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnanís friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Haeís death. Some people believe heís telling the truth. Many others donít.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a personís character? How can you tell what theyíre capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.