Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2216

Thread: The Cathode Ray Mission: The Misc. Television Thread

Default Re: The Cathode Ray Mission: The Misc. Television Thread

Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Suits is back on this summer and I really enjoy that show.

Endeavour (Inspector Morse prequel set in 1965) aired on PBS last night and it was fantastic. I was quite pleased to learn afterward it had been commissioned for a four-episode first series.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Newsroom jumped the shark already last night. So filled with cliches I wanted to vomit. And apparently every show revolves around one of the staff members coincidental personal relationship with someone vitally connected to every major news story in the past two years.

Multiple reviewers have already pointed this out, but the soapy dating/personal life stuff absolutely kills The Newsroom's momentum. It all just seems distracting and silly when Sorkin juxtaposes it against his revisionist accounts of these major news stories and his SUBTLE CRITIQUE OF THE MEDIA'S LAZINESS AND HYPOCRISY AND THE REPUBLIC'S MANIFEST ILLS.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

The show would ironically have more of this "integrity" they're chest thumping about if Sorkin fabricated stories to get his editorials across.
    All this armchair quarterbacking his obnoxious.

I really liked the first episode but that last episode wasn't very good at all. I mean it looked and sounded like a crummy cbs show and not HBO. As people pointed out above, once again someone was related to a big news story and brought drama to the situation. Also the intro and it's music is horrible. I guess low budget pbs into's are good enough for Aaron Sorkin.
    Last edited by Phenomena; 07-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.

I'm pretty far into whiny liberal territory and I couldn't even stomach the ham fisted elements of Sports Night.

I started watching the 2005 Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston and goddamn is that trashy. I'm not exactly not enjoying it, but it's really rough. Does it get better as time goes on?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

holy cow the avatar-sounding flute at the end of the newsroom "theme". all the music thus far is almost unbearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I'm pretty far into whiny liberal territory and I couldn't even stomach the ham fisted elements of Sports Night.

I started watching the 2005 Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston and goddamn is that trashy. I'm not exactly not enjoying it, but it's really rough. Does it get better as time goes on?
    YES, it gets better. Especially when David Tennant comes along in season 2.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie

Sorkin has got to be done after this. That second episode was fucking embarrassing.

It sort of ultimately replaces some of that trashiness with melodrama. The production gets a lot more professional-looking, the colors deeper and richer, and the CGI more elaborate, but the romantic tension is pretty unbearable. And not in a kiss-him-you-fool sort of way.

I don't know. I really liked Christopher Eccleston, but I seem to be in the minority.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 07-03-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Fucky quoting.

http://tv.msn.com/fate-of-your-favor...-gallery/?iv=0

Here is a list of shows and if they got renewed or cancelled. I am glad Parenthood will be back for another season, it's always good to have a show you can cry to.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I've been really into Hot In Cleveland and all of the other TV Land original series.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Sorkin has got to be done after this. That second episode was fucking embarrassing.
    The show got renewed for a second season and I don't know why. You're absolutely right about the second episode being terrible and I've heard it only gets worse. It's a shame because I thought the first episode had promise. I'm going to finish out the season if I can make it through but if it's this bad the whole way I doubt I can stick with it that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    The show got renewed for a second season and I don't know why. You're absolutely right about the second episode being terrible and I've heard it only gets worse. It's a shame because I thought the first episode had promise. I'm going to finish out the season if I can make it through but if it's this bad the whole way I doubt I can stick with it that long.
    It's getting painful. The relationship crap is like a caricature of a bad sitcom. I want to knock Mac's head off.

That's exactly my thought as well. I don't want to watch this show for will they or won't they. I want to watch it for the news drama.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    It's getting painful. The relationship crap is like a caricature of a bad sitcom. I want to knock Mac's head off.
    It seems so strange that she's supposed to be this really no-bullshit, awesome EP who has all her shit together and is the best at what she does, yet she can't send a fucking email right & gets weird around her ex. She was supposed to have just come from Afghanistan, that didn't toughen her up at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

we get it. she cheated on you, Will. STFU and just bang your sluts without the drama.

It was also fucking obnoxious how they made Will's first date look just like a younger more attractive version of her. It's like Sorkin thinks we're all geese and he's shoving a steel feeding tube down our throats.

I must be the only person in this thread that still enjoys The Newsroom. I watched all 3 episodes on demand while I was at home sick the last couple days and really enjoyed it. the second episode did seem a little blah, but the 3rd episode made up for it. it would be a really boring show without the character development and relationship drama, so I don't mind it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    It sort of ultimately replaces some of that trashiness with melodrama. The production gets a lot more professional-looking, the colors deeper and richer, and the CGI more elaborate, but the romantic tension is pretty unbearable. And not in a kiss-him-you-fool sort of way.

I don't know. I really liked Christopher Eccleston, but I seem to be in the minority.
    I enjoyed Eccleston too. He was my first Doctor and even though he made me a little hesitant to continue watching the show I credit him for making me a fan. Early on, it was just so campy even though that's what I came to enjoy about his character.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    http://tv.msn.com/fate-of-your-favor...-gallery/?iv=0

Here is a list of shows and if they got renewed or cancelled. I am glad Parenthood will be back for another season, it's always good to have a show you can cry to.
    Good news, I really like parenthood.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    the second episode did seem a little blah, but the 3rd episode made up for it. it would be a really boring show without the character development and relationship drama
    The second episode didn't seem a little blah, it seemed absurdly ham-handed and completely divorced from reality. The rant about illegal immigration was one of the most pathetic pieces of writing I've yet to experience. Sorkin has just lost his touch and the relationship bullshit is a fat stamp of lard on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    YES, it gets better. Especially when David Tennant comes along in season 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post

Quote Originally Posted by scenicworld View Post
    I enjoyed Eccleston too. He was my first Doctor and even though he made me a little hesitant to continue watching the show I credit him for making me a fan. Early on, it was just so campy even though that's what I came to enjoy about his character.
    I will probably be able to chime in soon; we just finished watching all 61 episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender and I think Doctor Who is where we are going next. I have seen very few episodes with any of the Doctors while Tiffany really liked Eccleston, liked Tennant but can no longer stand the show.

Also, damn, Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of the most satisfying TV shows I've watched. It ran for three seasons and they actually did what they were trying to do. It's a cartoon and it's mostly aimed at children but it's written by adults who are perceptive about how people - including kids - feel, about how people - including kids - act. It's also done by people who seem to understand storytelling, how it works and what audiences expect and will accept. They stuck to an underlying premise, an underlying set of rules for their universe and presents problems within that universe then solves then in highly inventive and entertaining ways.

It's very silly but it is also deep. And dark.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 07-15-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Netflix link
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I have seen very few episodes with any of the Doctors while Tiffany really liked Eccleston, liked Tennant but can no longer stand the show.
    I greatly prefer the Matt Smith episodes to the others. Tennant was alright, as was Eccleston though his leather coat was a bother.

Voted on The Glass House’s site for Jeffrey to get “out of limbo” (spoiler: he does!) and noticed the contestants' blurbs of interest. One gal lists ‘Catcher in the Rye’ as her “Favorite Book”. Anyone who claims that hasn’t picked up a book since grade school.

Apparently Olivia Munn is in The Newsroom. Good for her but so fucking weird in my mind that she's a serious actress now.

Quote Originally Posted by lehorne View Post
    Voted on The Glass House’s site for Jeffrey to get “out of limbo” (spoiler: he does!) and noticed the contestants' blurbs of interest. One gal lists ‘Catcher in the Rye’ as her “Favorite Book”. Anyone who claims that hasn’t picked up a book since grade school.
    Who reads Salinger in grade school? Also what is wrong with appreciating the book and what it does? I mean it is not the 50s anymore and there are many other such examples for outsiders but if this is the one that caught you, what is wrong with that?
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I greatly prefer the Matt Smith episodes to the others. Tennant was alright, as was Eccleston though his leather coat was a bother.
    It took me 2 full series of Matt Smith to fully come around, but now I think he plays the doctor perfectly. I think a lot of it has to do with the overall production value and SUPER LONG story arcs that Moffet uses, but Matt Smith also plays into that quite a bit too.

I just rewatched series 3 and 4 as they aired on BBCA and I hated the cop out *spoiler* regeneration at the end of series 4. I wish they replaced DT right then instead of drawing it out in the 3 or 4 specials that were nothing more than a DT farewell tour. */spoiler*

Can't wait for series 7! I know they are breaking up the series this year, but when are the first 6 episodes expected to air? August?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    Apparently Olivia Munn is in The Newsroom. Good for her but so fucking weird in my mind that she's a serious actress now.
    it is kind of weird to see her in that kind of role, especially considering the G4 days, but she actually does a great job and brings a little comedic self deprivation to her character as well. I think the exchanges with her and McKenzie are hilarious.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
    2012 2013 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) 10/3-5 Austin City Limits

For such a supposedly joyous television show, from the theme song to cruising exotic destinations, ‘The Love Boat’ has an underlying difficult aspect of human relations no one ever thought about. Saying goodbye. You make these relationships seeing the same folks daily until one day they are gone forever. No wonder Julie snorted coke engaging in anonymous sex till dawn and Isaac finally stopped smiling. It hurt, it hurt to say goodbye.

Just started Deadwood a few days ago. Possibly the most egregious offender of the "Hey, gang, we're on HBO, so let's make it count by cursing every other word regardless of whether or not it results in coherent, believable dialogue" school of script writing.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.