Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 66676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2264

Thread: The Cathode Ray Mission: The Misc. Television Thread

Default Re: The Cathode Ray Mission: The Misc. Television Thread

My friend is a producer of one of the best play nominees and another friend is in the ensemble of one of the best musical nominees. A friend in the UK has recommended checking out UStream - apparently someone streamed the awards there last year. Guess it all depends upon how tough CBS is about cracking down on these things in real time. And, yeah, that production of Cabaret is fantastic.

Nurse Jackie - thanks for the reminder. I only saw one or two eps of the first season before I cut the cord. Gonna have to catch up on that one. Loved what little I saw.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Tonight I caught up on season 6 of Nurse Jackie. Do any of you watch it? I love it.
    I watch it. This season has had me so annoyed with her though. I hate to see her regressing back to her old ways. I also wish she'd smack her daughter in the face next time she talks back.
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

God damn. The Normal Heart on HBO. TKO. I was so disappointed when it was announced that Ryan Murphy, the genius behind the wretched Glee and dreadful American Horror Story was going to direct, but I'll be damned if he didn't suppress his awfulness. He actually directed the film with a surprising amount of restraint and even elegance. I cannot remember the last film or tv show that genuinely made me cry - perhaps Gremlins when I was 6? This one literally had me sobbing at moments. I thought Larry Kramer did a surprisingly effective job of adapting his original play to the screen. The original play, written in 1985, is like an opera without music - a raging, devastating polemic. While there's still plenty of a fiery Larry Kramer lecture left in the screenplay, I thought he and Murphy very smartly softened the approach of the film. It's no longer a polemic, but now a beautifully realized elegy for the men who fought this plague while the rest of the world ignored them. The whole cast was superb, too.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 05-31-2014 at 01:39 AM.

Orange Is The New Black season 2 released today.
    Time to reopen my netflix account!

First episode was good. Tank Girl has aged horribly.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I'm saving OITNB for next week so I can binge when I'm out of town and bored in my hotel room.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    God damn. The Normal Heart on HBO. TKO. I was so disappointed when it was announced that Ryan Murphy, the genius behind the wretched Glee and dreadful American Horror Story was going to direct, but I'll be damned if he didn't suppress his awfulness. He actually directed the film with a surprising amount of restraint and even elegance. I cannot remember the last film or tv show that genuinely made me cry - perhaps Gremlins when I was 6? This one literally had me sobbing at moments. I thought Larry Kramer did a surprisingly effective job of adapting his original play to the screen. The original play, written in 1985, is like an opera without music - a raging, devastating polemic. While there's still plenty of a fiery Larry Kramer lecture left in the screenplay, I thought he and Murphy very smartly softened the approach of the film. It's no longer a polemic, but now a beautifully realized elegy for the men who fought this plague while the rest of the world ignored them. The whole cast was superb, too.
    You know, I honestly couldn't get all the way through it, mostly because it kept making me think of how And The Band Played On felt like a way more moving, important story about the explosion of the epidemic. Halfway through I cut out and went back and watched that instead. Fucking heartbreaking, and scientifically fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You know, I honestly couldn't get all the way through it, mostly because it kept making me think of how And The Band Played On felt like a way more moving, important story about the explosion of the epidemic. Halfway through I cut out and went back and watched that instead. Fucking heartbreaking, and scientifically fascinating.
    I feel exactly the same way. I just kept thinking ATBPO was heads and tails above regarding telling the story of the early outbreak and about halfway through it, I began playing Candy Crush and almost tuned out. ATBPO and How to Survive a Plague are the two best movies about the crisis in the early 80's. As someone who is old enough to remember when it happened, those are the two that evoke the most memories and emotions.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I feel exactly the same way. I just kept thinking ATBPO was heads and tails above regarding telling the story of the early outbreak and about halfway through it, I began playing Candy Crush and almost tuned out. ATBPO and How to Survive a Plague are the two best movies about the crisis in the early 80's. As someone who is old enough to remember when it happened, those are the two that evoke the most memories and emotions.

It's funny, I completely agree about And the Band Played On being a fantastic book and very good movie. It's also a work that attempts to tell a much broader story about the government's response to the crisis and is largely a piece of investigative journalism. It's a more ambitious work than Kramer's. And, yes, How to Survive a Plague was a really great documentary - those men and women were smart enough to realize they were living history and capture so much of their work from the early days on video.

Although I know one should be able to enjoy a dramatic work without having to know the background or context, I think with The Normal Heart it is actually important to appreciate the context. For all his faults (and, God, does he have many) I think it's important to remember that Kramer wrote and produced The Normal Heart in 1985; in the midst of the early days of the crisis during which so much fear, confusion, anger and grief totally engulfed the community he was a part of. His play was not an attempt to cover every aspect of the crisis, but really to tell the very specific story of what he and his closest friends and associates were going through in the very moment that audiences were watching the play. It's largely just about him and his friends - mostly upper middle class white gay men in New York. And, of course, it's a raging polemic against the cold indifference of the larger society and the government agencies which were supposed to protect all Americans -- not to mention a desperate plea for all gay people to come out of the closet and live openly so that they could gain acceptance and empathy. It's also not terribly subtle, but how could he possibly have written a broad-based, quiet subtle work of history as he stood in the very epicenter of the crisis? I think that makes a 2014 film version slightly problematic because we're no longer in the midst of that crisis. I thought Kramer and Murphy really smartly updated the play to give it some additional historical context and to slightly soften its tone. It's no longer a wake-up call, but a painful remembrance. I'm not usually a big fan of work so capital "D" dramatic, but this really worked for me.

Hey, quick TV buying question. I'm totally clueless about this because I have the same tv I've owned since I was 19. I might buy a new tv tomorrow. I'm a cord-cutter and I only use my old tv to watch live events on broadcast stations (NBC, PBS, etc.) and watch movies on DVD. With a newer HD tv will it automatically be able to pick up digital broadcast stations or do I have to buy a separate digital antenna?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Hey, quick TV buying question. I'm totally clueless about this because I have the same tv I've owned since I was 19. I might buy a new tv tomorrow. I'm a cord-cutter and I only use my old tv to watch live events on broadcast stations (NBC, PBS, etc.) and watch movies on DVD. With a newer HD tv will it automatically be able to pick up digital broadcast stations or do I have to buy a separate digital antenna?
    You need to buy an antenna. Don't get talked into anything fancy or expensive. You can get something that will work just fine for like $8. It's really simple too - you just screw the cable form the antenna to the back of your tv, choose "scan for channels" on the tv, and it will set it all up for you in like 2 minutes.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Thanks, Drinkey.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Silicon Valley is hilarious. Loving it three episodes in!
    I just finished the pilot. I liked it.

Any opinions on Miami Vice? I have considering revisiting the show on Netflix...
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

It's funny, I completely agree about And the Band Played On being a fantastic book and very good movie. It's also a work that attempts to tell a much broader story about the government's response to the crisis and is largely a piece of investigative journalism. It's a more ambitious work than Kramer's. And, yes, How to Survive a Plague was a really great documentary - those men and women were smart enough to realize they were living history and capture so much of their work from the early days on video.

Although I know one should be able to enjoy a dramatic work without having to know the background or context, I think with The Normal Heart it is actually important to appreciate the context. For all his faults (and, God, does he have many) I think it's important to remember that Kramer wrote and produced The Normal Heart in 1985; in the midst of the early days of the crisis during which so much fear, confusion, anger and grief totally engulfed the community he was a part of. His play was not an attempt to cover every aspect of the crisis, but really to tell the very specific story of what he and his closest friends and associates were going through in the very moment that audiences were watching the play. It's largely just about him and his friends - mostly upper middle class white gay men in New York. And, of course, it's a raging polemic against the cold indifference of the larger society and the government agencies which were supposed to protect all Americans -- not to mention a desperate plea for all gay people to come out of the closet and live openly so that they could gain acceptance and empathy. It's also not terribly subtle, but how could he possibly have written a broad-based, quiet subtle work of history as he stood in the very epicenter of the crisis? I think that makes a 2014 film version slightly problematic because we're no longer in the midst of that crisis. I thought Kramer and Murphy really smartly updated the play to give it some additional historical context and to slightly soften its tone. It's no longer a wake-up call, but a painful remembrance. I'm not usually a big fan of work so capital "D" dramatic, but this really worked for me.

Okay, it having been written in 1985 originally makes a lot more sense. It did feel a bit brutally dated. I dunno though, I mean in 1985 that shit would have been groundbreaking and therefore also heartbreaking, but somehow now it just doesn't play as well. Maybe it's just because every single scene reminds me of something from And The Band and I think how much better I liked the way they did it. I dunno. It was fine and all, but it didn't really grab me. Weird how 30 years puts that much distance between one's self and a goddamn epidemic that nobody cared about. Crazy.

In another twenty years, all these tear-jerking movies about cancer are going to seem so stupid to our kids. They're going to be like, "WTF is everyone whining about? Why don't they just go get the cancer cocktail and shut up?"

Dammit. Your post made me check HBOGo. I haven't seen And the Band Played On since I was 19 or 20. They have And The Band Played On and Angels in America available. I might do an AIDS double-bill later this week.

Finished OITNB last night. Such a good season!
    I only wish I had the willpower to have spaced out my viewing of it.
    I almost wish they would test the model (of a different original show) to releasing one episode a week.

I remember And The Band as being one of the first things HBO's original content division produced that made me go, "... holy shit." And that was pretty far back in the day, they didn't have much of a reputation at that point, and I couldn't have been much older than 10 at the latest when it came out but I remember watching it over and over and over. It was such a brilliantly balanced way of trying to encompass the entire AIDS outbreak into one piece--focusing on the science, on the flaws of the politics that governed/funded the science, of the personal impact it had on those infected and those close to them (that scene with the guy on the brink of death all covered in lesions obsessing about numbers in the hospital room is still one of the best written "death monologues" I can recall, it's just heart-wrenching), of the divides within the gay community itself about how to handle things between those preaching that they needed to stop fucking so much and the outcry from the other side that they refuse to have their newfound comfort with being out and free shoved back into hiding... just really brilliantly done.

As a young kid in a suburban area where gayness certainly wasn't something that got flaunted around (although I did watch an awful lot of Rocky Horror from the age of 4 onward), I remember that movie being one of the moments where I was like, "... hmm... maybe gay dudes aren't that weird?" It was quite effective.

Lucas Bros Moving Company is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Did anybody else watch Fargo? just finished it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Did anybody else watch Fargo? just finished it last night.
    Yes! Fantastic. Up there with the best work that Thornton has done, he deserves all the awards he gets.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Been waiting on Fargo as I want to show my girlfriend the Coen's film first, but I'm very excited about the show after hearing so many great things!

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Been waiting on Fargo as I want to show my girlfriend the Coen's film first, but I'm very excited about the show after hearing so many great things!
    I'm in the exact same boat. GF has never seen the film, so I have just let all the episodes record to the DVR in the meantime. Hopefully we can get started on all of this soon.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Martin Freeman is so good on the show that it almost makes me want to give those Hobbit films a chance. Almost.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh! I had no idea he was in it! I am looking forward to it being on netflix/dvd/whatever
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I enjoyed the Fargo miniseries. There's no real reason to watch the movie before watching the TV show. If you watched the TV show before watching the movie, there'd only be one minor spoiler.

Quote Originally Posted by footixy View Post
    Halt and Catch Fire premiers on Tumblr? 2 weeks before airing on AMC...weird, can't wait to give it a shot
    i stumbled across this, streamed the pilot yesterday...what do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Trentemoller on the opening credits and Bonobo closing the show pretty much sealed it for me from the pilot...then 4 episodes in I'm extremely annoyed, it's over dramatic, the tech side of it is baffling or doesn't make sense, though I may add the music selection is great

...it's trying too hard to be Mad Men for tech geeks
    Papi Piratón!

Brew Dogs are back tonight for season 2, kickin' it off in Durham

"James and Martin join forces with Sean Lilly Wilson of the Fullsteam Brewery in Raleigh, N.C. to create the most caloric beer ever."

The first season was a fun watch with some of the craziest brew ideas, I'm excited its back ....on Esquire Network
    Papi Piratón!

Dammit. Your post made me check HBOGo. I haven't seen And the Band Played On since I was 19 or 20. They have And The Band Played On and Angels in America available. I might do an AIDS double-bill later this week.
    I remember And The Band as being one of the first things HBO's original content division produced that made me go, "... holy shit." And that was pretty far back in the day, they didn't have much of a reputation at that point, and I couldn't have been much older than 10 at the latest when it came out but I remember watching it over and over and over. It was such a brilliantly balanced way of trying to encompass the entire AIDS outbreak into one piece--focusing on the science, on the flaws of the politics that governed/funded the science, of the personal impact it had on those infected and those close to them (that scene with the guy on the brink of death all covered in lesions obsessing about numbers in the hospital room is still one of the best written "death monologues" I can recall, it's just heart-wrenching), of the divides within the gay community itself about how to handle things between those preaching that they needed to stop fucking so much and the outcry from the other side that they refuse to have their newfound comfort with being out and free shoved back into hiding... just really brilliantly done.

As a young kid in a suburban area where gayness certainly wasn't something that got flaunted around (although I did watch an awful lot of Rocky Horror from the age of 4 onward), I remember that movie being one of the moments where I was like, "... hmm... maybe gay dudes aren't that weird?" It was quite effective.

So, I don't mean to discount anyone's experience with a piece of art - we all experience things differently - but I'm calling bullshit here. To be clear, I was mistaken. I hadn't seen And the Band Played On when I was 19 or 20; I saw it when I was in middle school. I'd read Randy Shilts' book, upon which the film's based, when I was 19 or 20 - that's what I was thinking of. The book was published in 1987, the film aired in 1993. Today, the book is problematic, to say the least, for the way in which it deals with the falsely described "patient zero" Gaetan Dugas, the French-Canadian flight attendant, basically blaming him for the early spread of AIDS in the gay population. We now know Dugas was far from the first known patient with AIDS in the US. In fact, the first positively identified case is that of a St. Louis teenager who died in 1969. Then there's the perhaps somewhat less problematic shaming of Dr. Robert Gallo (the Alan Alda character) for holding up AIDS research to satisfy his ego, which some medical professionals say is a gross oversimplification of what happened. And I won't even get into Shilts' bald attempts at sex shaming the community and advocating more hetero-normative behavior.

Given the time in which Shilts worked, these factual inaccuracies and questionable politics could probably be overlooked in the film adaptation as well - if the film was any good. But, I'm sorry, I re-watched it yesterday and it is an absolute piece of shit. I remember having a very positive reaction when I saw it as a young kid, too. Well, clearly I had terrible taste as a child. It's nothing but a self-important, well-intentioned, poorly executed film. I challenge you to go back and watch this film again - if you can even make it all the way through - and tell me that it's not a total failure. It's marred by a cliched, didactic screenplay, ugly production design, and sloppy and misguided directing and editing. Which is shocking considering it's directed by the same guy who brought us Turner & Hooch. The central character/AIDS researcher, played with the subtlety of a tractor trailer by Matthew Modine, is virtually granted sainthood. And the celebrity cameos are ridiculously distracting from the narrative - I mean, Anjelica Houston plays a random pediatrician for a scene that lasts maybe 45 seconds, Steve Martin plays the brother of a closeted AIDS victim for a good 90 seconds and on and on... Even if there wasn't a new celebrity cameo in every other scene, the narrative structure would still be a mess. The filmmakers attempt to get the entire known medical and political history (at least as Randy Shilts saw it in 1987) of AIDS into a 2 1/2 hour film. We're left with a disjointed, incomplete narrative, with practically no emotional weight and an incomplete and unsophisticated overview of the history of AIDS in the US. This is pure TV movie of the week territory. So, sorry to be all f*ggy about this, but you actually think this is a better film than The Normal Heart?
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 06-27-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Man, Rectify is absolutely fantastic so far this season. Must-see TV.
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare