Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Walkmen

Default Re: The Walkmen: Lisbon

This album does not disappoint...I'm already loving it 4 tracks in, and I can't wait to listen to it repeatedly to really get a feel for it.
    10/22 - TV on the Radio - Fonda
    10/24 - Warhol - Royce Hall
    10/28 - Ben Frost/Tim Hecker - Los Globos
    11/05 - Pissed Jeans - Los Globos (?)
    11/08 - Seu Jorge - Luckman (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Just got done with my 2nd listen...holy shit, "Victory" has to be up there with the best songs I've heard all year.

Not quite as lush and dense as You & Me, but it's still excellent. And the 11 tracks are plenty on this one, I always thought You & Me was a bit lengthy.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

i'm so happy Lisbon isn't Y&M part II. i love Y&M, but i'd much prefer to hear the boys take a risk and try to expand their sound, even if it may not always work out for the best.

i think Lisbon is a smashing example of the Walkmen truly honing their craft. i'd characterize the slower songs as a more elegant counterpart to Y&M, and the faster tracks could've sprung from a polished up and superior re-imagining of AHMO. the pacing on Lisbon is superb, the tracks flow into one another effortlessly. probably their most cohesive and consistent album yet.

i'm certain i like Lisbon more than Y&M. while i don't quite think it has the depth or urgency of EWPTLMIG and B+A, i'm OK with this. the Walkmen are all now in their thirties and have settled down w/ wife and kids. i don't expect nor want them to inject forced anger/urgency into their songs. the mellow, reflective route they've followed suits 'em astonishingly well. and maybe because i, a longtime fan, too have grown older, i'm loving the mature sound.

Nicely put. And bleep, buddy, you both have a beer at the Fonda show coming your way. I only met buddy for a fleeting moment at Coachella this year, and have never seen bleep around to my knowledge. I look forward to hanging out with you both come the 15th of next month.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

haha, excellent. first round's on me!

listened to the album over the past couple days, and it does sound like they've reached the sound they were possibly trying to get with you & me. hamilton seems comfortable with his voice, not that he didn't before, but he seems confident with it. and the band seems to be clicking musically. i'd love to hear torch song live, just cause i'm a sucker for harmonies.

tallguy i'd be happy to join you for a beer at the show. can't remember meeting you at coachella, but i could be wrong.
    Last edited by buddy; 08-03-2010 at 04:16 PM.

I think someone just pointed you out in the Sahara briefly, but we definitely didn't have a conversation or anything.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

some new songs live

woohoo.

i've been meaning to post this for a while. "While I Shovel the Snow" @ IFC's showcase during this year's SXSW.

they do write some beautiful songs. that being one of them.

The Walkmen will be performing on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon tomorrow night (Thursday).

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

they'll be playing "Angela Surf City" too.

just watched the east coast feed of Fallon. even though "Angela..." is in my bottom three of songs from Lisbon, the boys really did a smashing job performing that song tonight. damn good.

Well put, smashing job indeed. The performance tonight only makes next month seem farther away!

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I this album more and more each time I listen to it, can't get enough.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wow, good lookin' out bleep. The POV thing is awesome.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Gothamist presents The Walkmen performing stripped-down versions of "Woe is Me" and "Blue As Your Blood" at the New York Public Library. finally, a chance to test out the Vimeo tags.
    http://gothamist.com/2010/08/23/goth...the_walkme.php

Last edited by bleep; 08-23-2010 at 01:16 PM.

FADER did a feature on the Walkmen for its Aug/Sept 2010 issue. mostly pics of the boys modeling J. Crew clothes in Pete's backyard (ha ha!), but there's some substance thrown in too--top of pg 102 has Ham talking 'bout their shift in sound. pics and print, resized smaller and larger respectively, laid out below in the order it appears in the mag.

nice article bleep, thanks. definitely the best one i've read on them in awhile. i think i might have to try the black socks, dress shoes, and my walkmen shirt to the gym.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

They cover REM's "Driver 8"

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rem,38887/
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

BNM and 8.6.
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14605-lisbon/
    The Walkmen are kings of dejection. For about decade now, they've turned their albums into symphonies of disappointment and resentment and regret. Their proudest moments, then, are also their most down-and-out. Their best song, "The Rat", is a world-weary, old-before-its-time rager, a song from a young guy seeing that he's already falling out of step with the universe and feeling pissed about it. Their second-best song, "In the New Year", sounds triumphant and optimistic at first, but on further listens it reveals itself to be as much a plea as anything else, a secular prayer that shit just please start working out right. The specific brand of desperation that the band conjures is miles away from, say, the throbbing, dread-laced depression of fellow dapper New Yorkers the National. The Walkmen are more theatrical and unwound than that-- they're the guys out in the middle of the street, screaming up at the sky, begging to know why everything always falls apart.

In that elegantly disheveled mutter-wail thing of his, frontman Hamilton Leithauser starts new album Lisbon off by singing: "You're with someone else tomorrow night/ Doesn't matter to me/ 'Cause as the sun dies into the hill/ You got all I need." He's sad and pathetic and needy and yet somehow still smooth, which is sort of the central animating paradox at the heart of the Walkmen. They make these wounded, anxious songs, but they make them so confidently, with such unearthly rich-guy assurance. The band's specific style of indie rock is very rooted in a scrappy, scratchy New York tradition that dates back to the Velvet Underground or Bob Dylan, but their take on it is theirs and theirs alone. You know one of their songs right away when those winding, circular guitars and surging drums and gargling vocals kick in. They're so performative in their sadness, but that stuff never rankles or comes off tantrumy, since the band is just so good at this stuff. There's a song on Lisbon called "Woe Is Me", and it's not even remotely a joke. Great song, too.

This is a band that cares deeply about things like microphone placement, and so everything sounds just unbelievably crisp and warm-- except when it's not supposed to, as on the purposefully weird, strangulated two-minute panic attack "Follow the Leader". And even though they sound very much like themselves throughout, there are some great variations in here. "Stranded" uses beaten-down mariachi horns to massively graceful effect. "Victory" (which, naturally, is about never achieving victory) has the same sort of blood-pounding chorus that "The Rat" does. "Torch Song" is a song about a song, about not knowing the right song to "calm down all the madness," but the amber Twin Peaks Angelo Badalamenti fuzz on the track is just heart-stopping gorgeous. The Walkmen know what they're doing here.

In early interviews, Leithauser claimed that Lisbon got its sonic inspiration from ancestral Sun Records rockabilly. That influence never makes itself overtly known, but there are a few slick little old-school nods here and there, like the relentless Tennessee Three train-chug rhythm on "Blue as Your Blood", or the ahh-ahh backing vocals on "All My Great Designs". More than that, there's an economic speed and simplicity at work here; the songs might be reflective self-lacerating wallows, but they're fast wallows. Drummer Matt Barrick tends to play just off the beat, but he hits his drums just incredibly hard, with the sort of crisp wallop you feel in your teeth fillings. On the album's big, transcendent, loud moments, his crash cymbals sound like fists raining down on you from heaven, and he's still very much a force even on the quieter songs.

And that brings us to "Angela Surf City", the song on this album that deserves a place alongside "The Rat" and "In the New Year". It starts off tense and withdrawn, Leithauser singing about some relationship without ever letting us in on what, exactly, is going on. Underneath, there's a tense, withdrawn surf-rock beat. And when the chorus starts to well up, the music underneath keeps surging upward, becoming huger than anything the song should be able to handle, then getting even huger from there, as Barrick lets off relentless Bonham-level thundercracks. Leithauser sings guarded, terse stuff that I don't necessarily understand, but he wails it so hard that it comes out anthemic: "You took the high road! I couldn't find you!" The Walkmen play with restraint, and they don't usually allow themselves earth-shaking moments like that. But when those moments come, they're enough to send you spinning.

— Tom Breihan, September 13, 2010

Lisbon is my favorite Walkmen album thus far. Seriously.

Probably will make my top 10 for the year.

that P4K review is three-quarters fluff. also, strongly disagree w/ "Angela Surf City" and "In the New Year" ranking among the Walkmen's best--i'd expect that kind of rambling from a casual fan or one just getting acquainted w/ their catalog. moving on...

La Blogotheque finally went live w/ the Walkmen's Soiree de Poche session. Soiree de Poche is essentially a series documenting intimate performances taking place at someone's apartment in Paris. you can tell from this setlist that the video has been more than a year overdue (damn Frenchies!): New Country, Donde Esta La Playa, Look Out the Window (!!!), Blue As Your Blood, Red Moon
    http://www.blogotheque.net/The-Walkmen,5613

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    that P4K review is three-quarters fluff. also, strongly disagree w/ "Angela Surf City" and "In the New Year" ranking among the Walkmen's best--i'd expect that kind of rambling from a casual fan or one just getting acquainted w/ their catalog. moving on...
    I didn't understand that either. And I wouldn't expect a casual fan to like either of those anyways considering they aren't really poppy.

you'd be surprised how much of a gateway song "In the New Year" turned out to be after the release of You & Me. i'd expect "Angela..." to have the same effect. people like the big rock songs.

bonus tracks are slowly trickling in. here are three:
    "Orange Sunday": http://www.mediafire.com/?v92f9js6ay56fah
    "Grateful": http://www.mediafire.com/?dvq9s9o74n6hz95
    "All Black and White": http://www.mediafire.com/?1364kkra7drsttj

another three more bonus tracks should be making the rounds soon.

thanks bleep

Lisbon is already one of the top five albums I've heard this year. I caught them last night, and the new songs sound great. Call me old fashion, but I still dug the shit out of the Rat and New Year.
    Skrillex 2013 tour dates:

1/24/13 Montreal, Canada
    4/12/13-4/21/13 POLO FIELD-SIZED GAP
    7/12/13 - Montreal, Canada
    7/13/13 - Toronto, Canada
    7/17/13 - Winnipeg, Canada
    7/19/13 - Calgary, Canada
    7/21/13 - Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by know ID ya View Post
    I caught them last night, and the new songs sound great.
    is it true that they opened their Portland set w/ "Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone"? i read that bit in a review but don't quite believe it because, per an interview, Matt has apparently forgotten to play the beat to that song. that's the one oldie i'm dying to hear and i don't wanna get my hopes up if it ain't true.

I agree that Lisbon is probably one of the best albums of the year. I wasn't a huge fan of them before, but this record is damn near flawless.

I actually caught them playing an in-store at Music Millennium here in Portland on Sunday. It was a short set. maybe 7 songs or so. I was pretty impressed with the sound seeing as it was just this tiny space upstairs at a record store. I have video of 3 full songs that I'll post here soon.

I also picked up Lisbon on vinyl (along with the Black Keys 'Big Come Up') because I got this really old record player for free. The Black Keys sounds pretty great on it, but Lisbon.. not so much. I think I need to stick with bluesier, dirtier records. (I'm thinkin' The Kills 'Keep on Your Mean Side', The White Stripes' first album, and maybe T. Rex 'Electric Warrior')