Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

I just said I saw Bowie 3 times that very tour, and each show was spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

This thread is overrated. I don't get it. There're some funny bits but it's mostly the same old annoying "I don't like this great album because it isn't how I want it to be" nonsense. That does not make an excellent thread. Average, maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This thread is overrated. I don't get it. There're some funny bits but it's mostly the same old annoying "I don't like this great album because it isn't how I want it to be" nonsense. That does not make an excellent thread. Average, maybe.
    You win at life, and this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

He wasn't bad at all....that was just when he went through his mini wannabe industrial phase....and I thought his set was a poor imitation of what Trent did to open the show
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I find this thread indistinguishable from every other thread

radiohead

anything by interpol

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    anything by interpol
    Same, I understand Turn On the Bright Lights but anything else is just meh
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

old school

All the Beck talk in the Coachella 2011 Headliners thread made me realize that there is one album that always gets praise that I simply don't understand.

I'm a huge Beck fan and this record has a couple amazing songs but overall this album just makes me sleepy. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    radiohead
    Says Radiohead's biggest fanboy?? riiiiiiiiiiiight
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    who the fuck cares about influences. just because someone you like likes something, doesn't mean you have to like it.

to each their own, to ME they just don't stand the test of time, aside from a few songs. and to ME,
    I was just pointing out one of the many reasons people still love Floyd and Bowie.
    Being a heavy influence is a double edged sword. On one hand your imitators can dilute your sound by copying it, making your albums age poorly. In some cases you develop a tastes for certain things by hearing who they influenced. I definitely worked backwards on Floyd, Iggy, Eno, Beatles, Zepplin, and in some ways the Wu.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

old school

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    All the Beck talk in the Coachella 2011 Headliners thread made me realize that there is one album that always gets praise that I simply don't understand.

I'm a huge Beck fan and this record has a couple amazing songs but overall this album just makes me sleepy. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Agreed... I bought it a few years ago without doing research and I was saddened by the fact it was a sleepy album, and depressing haha

Wheels Of Cheese

I'd say Beck as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Most days that's my favorite Beck album. It's full of such beautiful, simplistic melancholy, and he really effectively cops the style of Serge Gainsbourg on Paper Tiger, which is definitely my favorite Beck song and an absolutely great track. It's the opposite of goofy upbeat Beck, but it's great music in its own right.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fucking love Odelay.
    love love love.... I will listen to it tonight just to spite the haters.
    Meanwhile I haven't really managed to get into any of his other albums.
    He shifted his sound to something other than what I wanted and I just never gave his newer stuff a chance really.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

You should definitely check out Mutations. It's a really great album. Also, Midnite Vultures has been one of the best albums for me to go back and revisit. There are some incredible songs on there.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Midnite Vultures is the only thing worthwhile in his discography, and most Beck fans hate it.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have a hard time not loving all of Beck's albums.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    Midnite Vultures is the only thing worthwhile in his discography, and most Beck fans hate it.
    I feel almost the opposite. It just sounds like some retro funk experiment, and I usually hate that sort of thing. I haven't listened to all of Beck's material though and I've only heard that once.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

yeah this probably shouldn't have been the first beck album I listened to.

old school

Phoenix and Vampire Weekend are two of the most bland bands I've heard in a long time yet they get props for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Most days that's my favorite Beck album. It's full of such beautiful, simplistic melancholy, and he really effectively cops the style of Serge Gainsbourg on Paper Tiger, which is definitely my favorite Beck song and an absolutely great track. It's the opposite of goofy upbeat Beck, but it's great music in its own right.
    Agreed.

you are fucking crazy.. THIS ALBUM IS INCREDIBLE. one of hte most honest, sincere, hearaching sounds ive ever heard. this album is like my soulmate
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

I actually haven't really gotten into Sea Change too much. I think part of it is that I'm so familiar with his early, lo-fi stuff that was still kind of goofy but had these extraordinarily melancholy moments that this album doesn't quite compare to. But I think I just need to give it more time is all.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Sea Change really is fucking brilliant. Possibly Beck's best.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    This thread topic has been done many times. Just in case no one already pointed that out.
    Maybe it has been done, but the thread Blackswan linked isn't the same thing. That was for people to just belt out whatever band they don't like that other people love. Someone just throwing out Vampire Weekend and Phoenix in this thread is an example of someone doing that and missing the point.

My intention with this thread was to get more specific than that, to actually highlight individual albums. The feedback I got re: Pet Sounds is exactly what I was looking for. Patrick, James and Bryan all gave their two cents in regards to the album and it makes a good bit more sense to me now. And there were a good amount of others that followed suit and some informative points of view were given.

I really just wanted to get some good, solid musical conversation going. Keep in mind, you don't have to dislike the band that wrote the album you pick. It can just be an album from a good band whose popularity (the album, not the band) was always a head-scratcher for you.

Another:

Exile on Main Street. It's a really good album. And the Rolling Stones are a great band. I just don't understand why this is considered their masterpiece by so many. Sticky Fingers and even Beggars Banquet are superior in my book.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 06-16-2010 at 02:42 AM.
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Lightbulb Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan143 View Post
    anything by interpol
    & reasons being?

interpol hasn't even put anything out in such a long time. what a cheap shot. they still rock (2007's release was full of integrity, can't wait to hear more)

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Sea Change really is fucking brilliant. Possibly Beck's best.
    it's indescribable hooks and key-changing descents are truly a great apex. but, when was the last time you listened to it? it's a bit outdated in 2010, and i think i'm sick of beck's schtick, he's a fucking nut nut.

i think the emerging thesis of this thread is that only the first half of a musical artist's career are deeply influential. hence the radiohead, beck, rolling stones, vampire weekend hype/collapse. it's like everything else that picks up tremendous speed in america, it becomes a bubble, and then it bursts, and can't nobody put the pieces back together again. Michael Jackson, as the best example to date.
    Last edited by hacking my dreams; 06-16-2010 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    You know what's not overhyped? That tiger.
    deformities are overhyped.

gary coleman. who cares wtf

but albinos are severely overhyped. although some are truly special...
    [albino animals @ bored panda]

Last edited by hacking my dreams; 06-16-2010 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

Exile on Main Street. It's a really good album. And the Rolling Stones are a great band. I just don't understand why this is considered their masterpiece by so many. Sticky Fingers and even Beggars Banquet are superior in my book.
    That whole Jimmy Miller period (Beggars Banquet in 1968 through Exile... in 1972) was pretty terrific, though the last album they did together - Goat's Head Soup - wasn't quite on par with the others.

For me, what works best about Exile... is its seamless blend of taut emotion, simple songs and ridiculous excess. It's that rarest of double albums on which nothing feels superfluous. That they managed to put it together at all is nothing short of miraculous, though that shouldn't necessarily impact your appreciation for the album. To put Exile... in contemporary Coachella forum perspective, think of it as a mixtape, with a wide range of styles and emotional arcs that somehow come together to form a singular, wonderfully chaotic (and often lovely and understated) experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by hacking my dreams View Post
    i think the emerging thesis of this thread is that only the first half of a musical artist's career are deeply influential. hence the radiohead, beck, rolling stones, vampire weekend hype/collapse. it's like everything else that picks up tremendous speed in america, it becomes a bubble, and then it bursts, and can't nobody put the pieces back together again. Michael Jackson, as the best example to date.
    The Beatles.

Also trying to use one model to cover the hype/collapse of both the Rolling Stones and Vampire Weekend is wonderfully hilarious.

Also Pablo Honey has been mentioned for this thread and while there's more love for The Bends it's hard to say it gets anywhere near the reverence of OK Computer and Kid A, so you're looking at a middle period sort of thing here.

And Beck, Beck's first releases were nothing and then he hit MTV big and has been bouncing back and forth, stylistically, since. There's no model there, there's no sense at all.

That being said we are a little doomed to, in most instances, be at least slightly disappointed by all new releases by artists we know and love. To fall in love with a band takes something serious and creates expectations. Even if you catch a band on the upswing - while they're figuring things out - in many cases their growth does not run in parallel with your tastes and you slowly drift apart. This probably could be its own much better thread but I can only think of one band that released my favorite album after I already loved them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.