Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    The Weeknd.

I dig the XX. But yeah, their Coachella set was boring. Like, so boring it made me not want to listen to their music for a long while. I skipped them at Sasquatch that year too.
    Man, the only chance I gave the XX was their Coachella set. I should've stayed at Dirty Projectors, the XX might have been the most uninteresting set I've ever seen at Coachella. Well, besides Fleet Foxes, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Dirty Projectors kinda bore me too.
    It's theoretically interesting music that sounds far too precious and self-aware and kinda lifeless to me.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Quote Originally Posted by ialvarado2 View Post

and

Nobody takes these assholes seriously, except for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    It's theoretically interesting music that sounds far too precious and self-aware and kinda lifeless to me.
    So much of indie from 2009 until the present day.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

So bands should sound good, but it shouldn't be clear that they did it on purpose?

No it shouldnt come across as calculated as much as it should feel inspired.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.

Wheels Of Cheese

Is Bitte Orca all you've heard?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Still-ill View Post
    Is Bitte Orca all you've heard?
    I actually rather liked Getty Address, but Bitte Orca seemed too sterile and souless.
    Something people like to love to talk about loving more than they actually enjoy listening to.

No it shouldnt come across as calculated as much as it should feel inspired.
    That's cute.

Isnt there a field recording of an abandoned pool you should be off condescending to people about somewhere?

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

i got one:

i was a fan of their early stuff such as Rubber Factory and Thickfreakness, but Brothers did absolutely nothing for me. i only recently sat through it again and just confirmed what i felt when it was first released. I'm only curious as to why this was the album that was their commercial breakthrough when it really brings nothing new to their sound. Also, i know there are plenty of people familiar with their earlier stuff that still think Brothers is their best album. so if you feel that way, why?
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

I don't know, Nathan. I sometimes wonder, too. My theory is that since everybody has exactly the same taste and there's no way that could be the variable, people must be filling out the My Favorite Things forms wrong before filing them with the Department of Taste Regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    So much of indie from 2009 until the present day.
    I disagree re Dirty Projectors; they make pretty interesting stuff imo.

But yeah there does seem to be an abundance of mediocre indie folkish pop floating around these days. It's like it's becoming an update of Adult Alternative or something. I blame Feist.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So, yeah, Feist, I don't get that hype at all. She's not awful or anything like that, she's pleasant enough. She just doesn't seem very interesting to me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    So, yeah, Feist, I don't get that hype at all. She's not awful or anything like that, she's pleasant enough. She just doesn't seem very interesting to me at all.
    This is where I am. Same with Cat Power.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Isnt there a field recording of an abandoned pool you should be off condescending to people about somewhere?
    I'm a fairly competent at multitasking. It doesn't take much to chuckle in passing at cliched generalizations.

Those who don't love Cat Power need to give a listen to YOU ARE FREE and especially MOON PIX. She's definitely been in this kind of semi-boring MOR slump in the years since her last studio album, but there was a time when her albums were melancholy and haunting and interestingly produced and pretty great. Try this song on for size:

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

The Weeknd.
    I felt the same way when I first listened to his stuff. But it grew on me so so much. All I can say is listen to House of Balloons LOUD, preferably in darkness. I now love all the songs on all three mixtapes and I used to think it was so meh.

This is where I am. Same with Cat Power.

She only became boring indie Adult Contemporary recently. Chan used to kick so much ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Joanna Newsom. Some people absolutely adore her, I don't get it at all. Can't get through her shrill voice and her harp playing is pleasant, but I don't get anything from it. I've listened to Ys and part of her last album. The only song I can take from her is 'Peach, Pear, Plum'.

Bon Iver. I find him boring and uninteresting. Only made it through 3 songs on his most recent album before giving up.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I'm constantly surprised at people saying that Bon Iver album is somehow boring. it's so lush and grandiose.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Coachella Junkie

And boring.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

For Emma, Ever Ago is the better album.

It's upsetting that Brothers is the their most fabled album. I'm excited to see them but I know I'll be disappointed when I realize that their set is almost over and 10AM Automatic or hardly any of Thickfreakness or Rubber Factory wasn't played.

It seems pretty obvious that Brothers is their real big pop album full of catchy singles (WITH WHISTLING!) that still has some good songs that don't sound like polished, watered down, blues. As much I hate to hear Tighten Up or Howlin For You now, Everlasting Light and The Only One are still great tracks which aren't played into oblivion and still makes it a good album for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

whiney pain in butt

Andrew Bird... Zzzzzzz

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    It's upsetting that Brothers is the their most fabled album. I'm excited to see them but I know I'll be disappointed when I realize that their set is almost over and 10AM Automatic or hardly any of Thickfreakness or Rubber Factory wasn't played.

It seems pretty obvious that Brothers is their real big pop album full of catchy singles (WITH WHISTLING!) that still has some good songs that don't sound like polished, watered down, blues. As much I hate to hear Tighten Up or Howlin For You now, Everlasting Light and The Only One are still great tracks which aren't played into oblivion and still makes it a good album for me.
    I would guess that a large part of the broadened appeal involves people who predominantly like music they can dance to. I cannot personally confirm this, as my signature dance move - called "the obelisk" by those who attend my Fred Astaire Studios sub-session - is fairly universal in its application, but it seems likely that people for whom music is primarily a soundtrack to a social situation would respond to the rhythmic change.

It took me a while to warm up to Dirty Projectors. I was just much too into other albums that year Bitte Orca came out and tossed it aside after a single listen. Big mistake. Their Coachella set confirmed they worked for me in the live setting, which was then followed a month or so later with a blistering set at the Fillmore with a final taste of a very weird (in a great way) set in Big Sur that same year. I'm hooked now. The vocal arrangements, which inititally I found off-putting, are now the biggest appeal to me. I am concerned about the new LP sans Angel D, but the first track that released today has left me giddy with excitement. Can't wait to hear the entire LP!

I was a bit dubious about Dirty Projectors when people started going crazy about them, but i went back and listened to older albums, and The Getty Address in particular was insanely impressive to me, and after that Bitte Orca really clicked as well. it was them taking their much more art-rock oriented musings and using them to make a pop record, and i think it worked really well.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    Andrew Bird... Zzzzzzz
    I felt a similar way until someone showed me live video. Gave me a lot more appreciation for what he does.

I can not recommend Andrew Bird's live shows enough. He's just such a great performer.
    last.fm