Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I dig the XX. But yeah, their Coachella set was boring. Like, so boring it made me not want to listen to their music for a long while. I skipped them at Sasquatch that year too.
    I felt this way about Yeah Yeah Yeahs first mainstage appearance, they were so off it definitely reduced my enthusiasm for them. Their 2nd appearance a few years back was much better. Im sure I may be a fan of sigurd ros if it hadn't have been for my first viewing of them at coachella. From how much I love The XXs album, seeing that performed in the day with off sound would definitely turn me off for a minute.

Another band I'm not crazy for is Radiohead. They are not my style, simply that. I enjoy Kid A Ok Computer and Amnesiac, but everything else is "ok" in my book as far as their catalog goes. I hope their set this year changes my mind on them a little bit more, but I doubt it. now I'm not saying they are a bad band, they are great, but I've never fallen into that "OMG radiohead!!!!" group like most of my friends. Then again I'm known as the "techno" guy of the group.

I'm sure if the lineup had better electronic acts I'd be going nuts for this lineup, but alas, it is an "indie rock" year

And the black keys are as impressive as the raconotuers (however it's spelt): I walked away from both sets after 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    2Pac
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Flame away, but:

I Will Dare is such an amazing way to start a record, but upon listening to it front to back for the first time yesterday, at the end it left me feeling a bit flat. What am I missing here?
    Man this is my favorite album of all time.

Let It Be isn't an instant classic, but it's so goddamn good. The first 5 tracks are so good, particularly "Androgynous." It can use a few listens, but it's so good. But it helped that I was already madly in love with 'Tim' before first getting into this album.
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Chris, Fuck you and fuck you hard.

No but really, I plan on listening to it again a few times this coming week. With all the heaps of praises it continually gets, I was just surprised that it didn't click much on the first listen. And that Kiss cover wasn't much to my liking either.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

As far as I'm concerned, the Mats could have done a whole fucking album of Kiss covers and "Gary's Got a Boner" goof-offs, and as long as they put "Unsatisfied" on it, it would still be a 5 star, 10.0 album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I just went to the store and picked up a large box of Band Aids in preparation for when Tom gets to work in the morning and sees what I've done.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

No but really, I plan on listening to it again a few times this coming week. With all the heaps of praises it continually gets, I was just surprised that it didn't click much on the first listen. And that Kiss cover wasn't much to my liking either.
    I used to skip "Black Diamond" and "Gary's Got a Boner" when I listened to it, still loved the album. Make sure you play it LOUD.
    Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

You still have time to diss London Calling, too!
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

I just went to the store and picked up a large box of Band Aids in preparation for when Tom gets to work in the morning and sees what I've done.
    Bryan has left you in a bloody pulp, so no need for me to add to it.

But really listen to Androgynous-Black Diamond-Unsatisfied-Seen Your Video a few times in a row and tell me if you still feel the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Ok, see there's the specific advice a man needs. Cheers.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Also you may be hearing the album with the hardened ears of someone who first heard all the inferior imitation stuff that came after.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Also you may be hearing the album with the hardened ears of someone who first heard all the inferior imitation stuff that came after.
    That is a very definite problem with being very late to the game of highly influential records.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

and

OutKast-TheKnife-Replacements-theGlitchMob-JagwarMa-Shlohmo-MSMR-AntiFlag-CaravanPalace-GabbaGabbaHeys-EllieGoulding-NekoC-AFI-Bonobo-theCult-Bastille

QOTSA-Lorde-PetShopBoys-MGMT-EmpireOfTheSun-CageTheElephant-Chvrches-CapitalCities-Temples-Naked&Famous-Mogwai-HolyGhost-WhiteLies-theInternet-LauraMvula-

ArcadeFire-Beck-NMH-Disclosure-LanaDelRey-Motörhead-LittleDragon-ToyDolls-1975-Krewella-Fishbone-TromboneShorty-ArtDept-Bombino-BadManners-SurferBlood-BoNingen-JRoddy-FactoyFloor

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Another band I'm not crazy for is Radiohead. They are not my style, simply that. I enjoy Kid A Ok Computer and Amnesiac, but everything else is "ok" in my book as far as their catalog goes. I hope their set this year changes my mind on them a little bit more, but I doubt it. now I'm not saying they are a bad band, they are great, but I've never fallen into that "OMG radiohead!!!!" group like most of my friends. Then again I'm known as the "techno" guy of the group.

I'm sure if the lineup had better electronic acts I'd be going nuts for this lineup, but alas, it is an "indie rock" year

And the black keys are as impressive as the raconotuers (however it's spelt): I walked away from both sets after 15 minutes.
    Feel you on this. I just dont understand Radiohead. I mean I always here people complaining about how they hate emo sounding music, but damn Radiohead defines emo imo. Off course there are songs of theirs I dig, but they themselves are nothing special. I hope to get wowed by them come the fest, but thats assuming they arent conflicting with someone else.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

"emo"

"emo imo" could be a great but awful band name.

Seriously, "I just don't get the hype."
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Spoon Aug 8 Hollywood
    Kasabian Oct 8 Wiltern
    The Horrors Oct 14 Santa Ana

They are not my style, simply that.
    I've found that this is a bad way to go about things. There are so many wonderful genres of music out there, that it's possible that a band or album that's "not your style" right now might be something that you're really into a few years from now. There is a ton of music that I wasn't into say 5 years ago that I can't imagine living without at this point in time.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I've found that this is a bad way to go about things. There are so many wonderful genres of music out there, that it's possible that a band or album that's "not your style" right now might be something that you're really into a few years from now. There is a ton of music that I wasn't into say 5 years ago that I can't imagine living without at this point in time.
    100%.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

And at the same time there could be bands you couldn't get into 5 years ago that you hate even more now.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 04-01-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I guess if you have to play devil's advocate, then yes, that could be true.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm pretty sure if you have any remote interest in Radiohead and can see them live, you will enjoy it. Some of the songs are brought to a totally different place live. Even if there is a conflict at the festival I think you should watch 30-45 minutes minimum given the opportunity, since I doubt you'd ever spend the money on them if you haven't already. They are far less somber ("emo") live as well.

I didn't like Radiohead the first several times I heard them.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

But really listen to Androgynous-Black Diamond-Unsatisfied-Seen Your Video a few times in a row and tell me if you still feel the same way.
    Yeah, that run of songs is so spectacularly developed. The reason Let It Be works so much more for me compared to the other albums is that there is a great combination of the deadly serious emotion and the ragged levity. Black Diamond was COMPLETELY unexpected from a former hadrcore band, and especially in between two of their most fully-developed emotional tour-de-forces.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I gotta say, if this thread did anything it rejuvenated my love for the Replacements. Going through their discography for the first time in forever. So great.

Grimes is sooooooooooo boring. 2012's Odd Future

Also he likes the Moody Blues and Steely Dan.

But I actually sort of get what he's talking about. I've come to love Let it Be, but it definitely didn't click with me at first. I'm not sure if it's because I'd already fallen in love with their later stuff (Don't Tell a Soul came out when I was in high school and I was working backward from there), but – apart from "I Will Dare," "Unsatisfied," and "Answering Machine" – it took me a while to appreciate the rawness of it.

This is some serious wisdom right here folks. Well done Chris.

I enjoy Kid A Ok Computer and Amnesiac, but everything else is "ok" in my book as far as their catalog goes.
    Pretty sure if you take any beloved band, remove their three best albums from consideration, what's left will not live up to expectations.