Page 1 of 30 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Default I Just Don't Get the Hype

This is the place to post and discuss albums that you don't "get." Albums that seem to receive nothing but universal praise, but that you don't understand why they're regarded so highly.

And then in turn, hopefully those that enjoy and appreciate the albums can provide some insight/constructive thoughts.

I'll start off:

This album is on every Rolling Stone "Top Albums of All Time" list, but I fail to see why it's put on such a high pedestal.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

I actually agree about Pet Sounds. I mean great album with some great tracks sure. But in the top 5 albums of all time like on most lists??? nah.

That's one of those many albums cursed by its own greatness. Hearing it after 40-50 years of imitation ins tyle and sound has definitely dulled its edge considerably, but I still find it to be an impressive, if slow moving, pop record.

I don't understand the love for Cannibal Ox much. I know I haven't read it on here, but all of my friends who like good hip hop love that one Cannibal Ox album that got great reviews, and they always seem to get good press. I listen to it and I just can't find a good entry point on the album (The Cold Vein? The Blue Vein? something like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

That's one of my favorite albums, Bryan (well the first half, for some reason I never remember the second half). Just give it a lot of time because it's extraordinarily dense, both musically and lyrically.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

This album is on every Rolling Stone "Top Albums of All Time" list, but I fail to see why it's put on such a high pedestal.
    Wow. Have you ever played an instrument? Take that instrument home and start playing chord progressions from the Beach Boys, then try writing a song with as many key changes that somehow convolutes coherently. Only Bowie and the Beatles did it as often and as fluidly imo.

Like John Lennon himself said, the Beach Boys' interludes and structure transitions were more creative than the Beatles'.

I mean, it's not bad or anything. It's mildly interesting in parts. But mostly it's a snoozefest.

Are you serious, Tom?

for pet sounds i think a lot of the praise comes from the influence it has had on music since. for example on sgt. pepper, harmonies, orchestration in rock/pop music, the countless bands who have imitated their sound since, etc. i love the album personally, although i still don't care for sloop john b.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Wow. Have you ever played an instrument? Take that instrument home and start playing chord progressions from the Beach Boys, then try writing a song with as many key changes that somehow convolutes coherently. Only Bowie and the Beatles did it as often and as fluidly imo.

Like John Lennon himself said, the Beach Boys' interludes and structure transitions were more creative than the Beatles'.
    I actually play a few different instruments, and have since I was little. That's interesting, see that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for with that album. I have never listened it with that mindset.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 06-14-2010 at 09:12 PM.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And I think The Smiths and Sonic Youth are the most overrated bands of all time amongst crowds with good taste in music. I like both, but I always felt like they put out more filler with garbled lyrics than melodic songs with substantive significance.

Those are the first two that come to my mind.

Queens of the Stone Age follows closely behind. I'll take Isis or Baroness over them any day, thank you.

edit: cool thread, btw

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post

Are you serious, Tom?
    To some extent, I agree. I mean, I love Dark Side, but it's behind WYWH, Meddle, Piper, and Animals for me.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

With a lot of classic albums, as stated somewhat already, there's historical information and context that's required to really place these albums on the pedestals that they are.

That said, Very "Important" albums may just not sound that great to you, and you're more than welcome to have that opinion.

CONFESSION: I have never listened to Pet Sounds before.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

I actually like this album a lot. It's really good. but in my book.. it's like the Beatles' 4th or 5th best album. all the "greatest album of all time" hype confuses me. Yes, it's orchestrated, but, so what; oh, it's a rock album, so it's not supposed to be orchestrated, but it is, and that's what makes it great. huh? Give me Revolver or the White Album or Abbey Road over this.

QOTSA isn't really comparable to Isis.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Give me Revolver or the White Album or Abbey Road over this.
    Absolutely. There are a few tracks on Sgt. Pepper's that I flat out don't care for. The above 3 you mentioned are nearly flawless.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    And I think The Smiths and Sonic Youth are the most overrated bands of all time amongst crowds with good taste in music. I like both, but I always felt like they put out more filler with garbled lyrics than melodic songs with substantive significance.

Those are the first two that come to my mind.

Queens of the Stone Age follows closely behind. I'll take Isis or Baroness over them any day, thank you.

edit: cool thread, btw
    I love Isis and Baroness, but I don't think QOTSA is really THAT comparable to them Kyuss certainly, although moreso than being comparable I'd say Kyuss was directly influential on those two bands (just as Black Sabbath and Hendrix were influential on Kyuss).

QOSTA to me represents the best of a blend of that stoner rock, grunge, and punk, purified into pop music. This is especially in the first 3 albums when it really was a very collaboratively written band by a smorgasbord of artits with different backgrounds.

I wouldn't expect to convert you in this instance because I think you're unfairly trying to compare them to something that you like, but they are not. This is an instance of barking up the wrong tree.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    With a lot of classic albums, as stated somewhat already, there's historical information and context that's required to really place these albums on the pedestals that they are.
    I think as time passes the historical context becomes less and less important. Yes I'm sure it impacted how people heard it at the time, but unless I was actually one of those people, I don't really care. The historical context of Don Giovanni or Hellhound on My Trail are interesting but don't make me appreciate the music that much more. The great stuff stands on its own legs and transcends its context.

I think as time passes the historical context becomes less and less important. Yes I'm sure it impacted how people heard it at the time, but unless I was actually one of those people, I don't really care. The historical context of Don Giovanni or Hellhound on My Trail are interesting but don't make me appreciate the music that much more. The great stuff stands on its own legs and transcends its context.
    Do you feel this way about The Velvet Underground? (I'm assuming you at least like them a bit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

I actually like this album a lot. It's really good. but in my book.. it's like the Beatles' 4th or 5th best album. all the "greatest album of all time" hype confuses me. Yes, it's orchestrated, but, so what; oh, it's a rock album, so it's not supposed to be orchestrated, but it is, and that's what makes it great. huh? Give me Revolver or the White Album or Abbey Road over this.
    Again, with the case of SGT. Peppers, The Beatles took studio production and recording to levels and lenghts that had never been attmpted before. they wrote the album in the studio and the amount of experimentation and overdubbing was, and to this day, remains staggering. That is why it will remain at thaty high point in history. There's a fantastic documentary about the making of the record.

That said, I prefer White Album myself, even though it's formally not even a Beatles album.
    last.fm

Give me Revolver or the White Album or Abbey Road over this.
    Agreed on these two, especially the White Album. Not so much Abbey Road, personally.

Sure, as a basis for forming your own opinions on albums and saying what is your own favorite, that's a given.

When you have all these top ten lists and history classes and music buffsa that go on and on about certain records, that's where all this historical context comes from.

BUT you can dismiss a record on you want and try to say the context is outdated and all that, and people will STILL argue why it was relevent and a breakthrough, and why it should still be regarded in a high fashion.

It's a neverending circle of an argument.
    last.fm

I mean, it's not bad or anything. It's mildly interesting in parts. But mostly it's a snoozefest.
    High five! I liked it when I was a kid but then I heard krautrock and that made it seem like amateur hour. Mostly I just don't like the classic rock bombast and the key songs being overplayed doesn't help.

I ask about The Velvet Underground because they seem like the finest example of a band whose greatness is originality and impact over content. I really enjoy listening to them, and I think they've got a gigantic collection of good songs and great songs, but I have never been able to listen to them without their massive place in music history and popular music evolution in the front of my mind. I struggle to just hear the songs and take them at face value.

Not sure if this relates to the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

i think you're right about historical context being less influential over time, and i think critics polls are reflecting that. i believe many have revolver over sgt. pepper now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I wouldn't expect to convert you in this instance because I think you're unfairly trying to compare them to something that you like, but they are not. This is an instance of barking up the wrong tree.
    I can definitely see this. I mean, I listened to the X-Rated album over and over again and... nothing. But perhaps you're right in that I was listening to them with the mindset of "oh, finally a new creative metal band!" when they're not all that metal.

In some circumstances, I definitely agree. Like, I wouldn't like some song just because it was the first to use a fucking keyboard or something, or the first song to ever sample something per se. While it would certainly be innovative, that doesn't mean I have to actually enjoy it.

I think I use historical significance strictly as a plus for a group that I already like. The Beach Boys made music that I still find incredibly engaging and creative, and I would absolutely still love it if Pet Sounds came out yesterday. The fact that it was so influential in pushing the boundaries of standard rock progressions while incorporating cacophonies of instruments and ambient sounds just makes it that much more awesome to me. Same with David Bowie from a fashion perspective; I mean, he's already my favorite musician of all time, but his importance and innovations to fashion (that I believe helped influence punk altogether) just put him over the top in terms of awesomeness.

Fuck, I'm not sure any of that made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    I ask about The Velvet Underground because they seem like the finest example of a band whose greatness is originality and impact over content. I really enjoy listening to them, and I think they've got a gigantic collection of good songs and great songs, but I have never been able to listen to them without their massive place in music history and popular music evolution in the front of my mind. I struggle to just hear the songs and take them at face value.
    I think that's definitely the case with The Velvet Underground and Nico. But with their self-titled record, which is my favorite of theirs, aside from "Murder Mystery" I don't think they were really doing anything that hadn't been done before. I just like the songs on that album for what they are.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post

Not sure if this relates to the thread.
    I have similar feelings about VU. I think each of their albums has fillers but the sheer greatness and sentimentality of their brighter moments makes it easier consumed.

I would also opine that they are not nearly as musically influential as others think they are, but I know most would behead me over the mere thought.

I agree that Revolver, Abbey Road and (especially) the White Album are all better than Sgt. Peppers. I'll never hear Dark Side without it sounding like childhood, so there's that. Rey, Sloop John B is my favorite track on that album, but there's a reason behind that.

The Acapella version of Pet Sounds blows me away with how much great vocal work they did. Sloop John B is so self-contained vocally that the backing track is unimportant now in my mind. The A Capella record is actually what made me love Pet Sounds for what it's worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think appreciating the first Velvet Underground record on a pure impact level as opposed to a historical context level just comes from experience. One of these days, "Sunday Morning" will hit you like a ton of bricks.

Pet Sounds is great because it is simultaneously one of the sunniest and one of the saddest pop albums in existence.