Page 1 of 27 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I Just Don't Get the Hype

Hybrid View

Default I Just Don't Get the Hype

This is the place to post and discuss albums that you don't "get." Albums that seem to receive nothing but universal praise, but that you don't understand why they're regarded so highly.

And then in turn, hopefully those that enjoy and appreciate the albums can provide some insight/constructive thoughts.

I'll start off:

This album is on every Rolling Stone "Top Albums of All Time" list, but I fail to see why it's put on such a high pedestal.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: I Just Don't Get the Hype

I actually agree about Pet Sounds. I mean great album with some great tracks sure. But in the top 5 albums of all time like on most lists??? nah.

That's one of those many albums cursed by its own greatness. Hearing it after 40-50 years of imitation ins tyle and sound has definitely dulled its edge considerably, but I still find it to be an impressive, if slow moving, pop record.

I don't understand the love for Cannibal Ox much. I know I haven't read it on here, but all of my friends who like good hip hop love that one Cannibal Ox album that got great reviews, and they always seem to get good press. I listen to it and I just can't find a good entry point on the album (The Cold Vein? The Blue Vein? something like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I don't understand the love for Cannibal Ox much. I know I haven't read it on here, but all of my friends who like good hip hop love that one Cannibal Ox album that got great reviews, and they always seem to get good press. I listen to it and I just can't find a good entry point on the album (The Cold Vein? The Blue Vein? something like that).
    I literally finished listening to The Cold Vein for the first time whilst reading this. Eeeeeerie.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

That's one of my favorite albums, Bryan (well the first half, for some reason I never remember the second half). Just give it a lot of time because it's extraordinarily dense, both musically and lyrically.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post

This album is on every Rolling Stone "Top Albums of All Time" list, but I fail to see why it's put on such a high pedestal.
    Wow. Have you ever played an instrument? Take that instrument home and start playing chord progressions from the Beach Boys, then try writing a song with as many key changes that somehow convolutes coherently. Only Bowie and the Beatles did it as often and as fluidly imo.

Like John Lennon himself said, the Beach Boys' interludes and structure transitions were more creative than the Beatles'.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Wow. Have you ever played an instrument? Take that instrument home and start playing chord progressions from the Beach Boys, then try writing a song with as many key changes that somehow convolutes coherently. Only Bowie and the Beatles did it as often and as fluidly imo.

Like John Lennon himself said, the Beach Boys' interludes and structure transitions were more creative than the Beatles'.
    I actually play a few different instruments, and have since I was little. That's interesting, see that's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for with that album. I have never listened it with that mindset.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 06-14-2010 at 08:12 PM.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

And I think The Smiths and Sonic Youth are the most overrated bands of all time amongst crowds with good taste in music. I like both, but I always felt like they put out more filler with garbled lyrics than melodic songs with substantive significance.

Those are the first two that come to my mind.

Queens of the Stone Age follows closely behind. I'll take Isis or Baroness over them any day, thank you.

edit: cool thread, btw

QOTSA isn't really comparable to Isis.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

And I think The Smiths and Sonic Youth are the most overrated bands of all time amongst crowds with good taste in music. I like both, but I always felt like they put out more filler with garbled lyrics than melodic songs with substantive significance.

Those are the first two that come to my mind.

Queens of the Stone Age follows closely behind. I'll take Isis or Baroness over them any day, thank you.

edit: cool thread, btw
    I love Isis and Baroness, but I don't think QOTSA is really THAT comparable to them Kyuss certainly, although moreso than being comparable I'd say Kyuss was directly influential on those two bands (just as Black Sabbath and Hendrix were influential on Kyuss).

QOSTA to me represents the best of a blend of that stoner rock, grunge, and punk, purified into pop music. This is especially in the first 3 albums when it really was a very collaboratively written band by a smorgasbord of artits with different backgrounds.

I wouldn't expect to convert you in this instance because I think you're unfairly trying to compare them to something that you like, but they are not. This is an instance of barking up the wrong tree.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I will take The Smiths, if no one else has. Morrissey spoke up for all the socially awkward and voiceless multitudes backed by Marr's brilliant, powerful guitar compositions in a way that had not been done before. His lyrics made jokes through the pain; blatantly plagiarized -- then made fun of plagiarism (in the same song!); sent his devotees all over the place trying to find his literative allusions while still making a sincerely moving song in itself at the same time. His songs made you feel like someone was on your side when no one else was. Maybe the songs made some wallow in their misery, but sometimes you want to wallow a while before you can lift yourself out of it. That was the genius of Morrissey while he was in The Smiths.

There was no specific album given, so I just took the band. Give me an album, and I can evaluate that on its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

That is one of the most brilliant descriptions of the Smiths i have ever read.

Below is a list of the officially released Rolling Stones tracks on which Richards sings lead vocals or shares lead-vocal duties:

"Something Happened to Me Yesterday" (alternates with Jagger), "Connection" (co-lead with Jagger) - Between the Buttons (1967)
    "Salt of the Earth" (first verse) - Beggars Banquet (1968)
    "You Got the Silver" - Let It Bleed (1969)
    "Happy" - Exile On Main St. (1972)
    "Coming Down Again" - Goats Head Soup (1973)
    "Memory Motel" (alternates with Jagger) - Black and Blue (1976)
    "Happy" (live) - Love You Live (1977)
    "Before They Make Me Run" - Some Girls (1978)
    "All About You" - Emotional Rescue (1980)
    "Little T&A" - Tattoo You (1981)
    "Wanna Hold You" - Undercover (1983)
    "Too Rude", "Sleep Tonight" - Dirty Work (1986)
    "Can't Be Seen", "Slipping Away" - Steel Wheels (1989)
    "Can't Be Seen" (live) - Flashpoint (1991)
    "The Worst", "Thru and Thru" - Voodoo Lounge (1994)
    "Slipping Away" (acoustic studio rehearsal) - Stripped (1995)
    "You Don't Have to Mean It", "Thief in the Night", "How Can I Stop" - Bridges to Babylon (1997)
    "Thief in the Night" (live) - No Security (1999)
    "Losing My Touch" - Forty Licks (2002)
    "Happy" (live), "The Nearness of You" (live), "You Don't Have to Mean It" (live) - Live Licks (2004)
    "This Place Is Empty", "Infamy" - A Bigger Bang (2005)
    "Thru and Thru" (live) - Rarities 1971-2003 (2005)
    "You Got the Silver" (live), "Connection" (live), "Little T&A" (live) - Shine a Light (2008)
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I will take The Smiths, if no one else has. Morrissey spoke up for all the socially awkward and voiceless multitudes backed by Marr's brilliant, powerful guitar compositions in a way that had not been done before. His lyrics made jokes through the pain; blatantly plagiarized -- then made fun of plagiarism (in the same song!); sent his devotees all over the place trying to find his literative allusions while still making a sincerely moving song in itself at the same time. His songs made you feel like someone was on your side when no one else was. Maybe the songs made some wallow in their misery, but sometimes you want to wallow a while before you can lift yourself out of it. That was the genius of Morrissey while he was in The Smiths.

There was no specific album given, so I just took the band. Give me an album, and I can evaluate that on its own.
    You write this as if singing about being socially awkward and alone was original at the time. The Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Devo, and even Joy Division all did it a lot prettier, more coherent, and more creatively before The Smiths imo.

Marrs is a good guitarist, I'll give you that. I'm more impressed with his playing talents than his writing talents though.

You write this as if singing about being socially awkward and alone was original at the time. The Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Devo, and even Joy Division all did it a lot prettier, more coherent, and more creatively before The Smiths imo.

Marrs is a good guitarist, I'll give you that. I'm more impressed with his playing talents than his writing talents though.
    I know I gave that impression -- the way he did it spoke to me personally during my teenage years in a way that the other bands you listed did not.
    I'll definitely agree with the Joy Division one though. But what you've said baffles me -- not sure how the others are "prettier, more coherent, and more creative" than The Smiths. Granted, Morrissey's voice on the first album is a lot rougher than in later albums, but I grew to love that roughness as well because the singing was so immediate and desperate -- like "I need love and attention NOW goddamnit." I will have to think about this more and give you specific examples.

These arguments never work for me. I don't give a fuck about the technical side. I just care about how it sounds. If I was more technically proficient I could find an album with odd time signatures and unusual chord progressions that sucks eggs. Yes and Kansas come to mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    These arguments never work for me. I don't give a fuck about the technical side. I just care about how it sounds. If I was more technically proficient I could find an album with odd time signatures and unusual chord progressions that sucks eggs. Yes and Kansas come to mind.
    Well, that's you. I appreciate creative writing as it doesn't get repetitive as quickly and I find it more interesting and intriguing. It's even more appealing to me when it's done fluidly and almost not even noticeably at times (like I said The Beach Boys, Beatles, and Bowie have done).

If the key changes suck eggs, it's because key changes are supposed to suck eggs in that they're usually unnatural and transgressive from fundamental musical theory. I'm obviously not into these shitty types of "creativity" because anyone can play a bunch of different chords that sound like shit together.

I mean, it's not bad or anything. It's mildly interesting in parts. But mostly it's a snoozefest.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Are you serious, Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post

Are you serious, Tom?
    To some extent, I agree. I mean, I love Dark Side, but it's behind WYWH, Meddle, Piper, and Animals for me.

I mean, it's not bad or anything. It's mildly interesting in parts. But mostly it's a snoozefest.
    High five! I liked it when I was a kid but then I heard krautrock and that made it seem like amateur hour. Mostly I just don't like the classic rock bombast and the key songs being overplayed doesn't help.

I agree 100%. If you want a good instance of this album, listen to the live BBC session recorded around the same time as Live in Pompeii.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Pink Floyd's DSOTMoon is perhaps more influential than anything, I can hear it's concept echoing today in the likes of Radiohead's OK Computer, and if you want I'd be happy to give more examples. Hype is fun to play with. Just look at Die Antwoord's Pink Floyd shorts. perfect symbolism of hype + making fun of it. Plus I like rainbows and that cover art has let its legacy endure ala Sgt Pepper... just my 2 cents.

I AGREE WITH TOM.

Have never been able to get into this album. All through high school I had my friends telling me how fucking great Guns and Roses are and I just found it all kind of be bland... Personally I can't handle Axl's voice on any song. I have to give credit where credit is due though and say that Slash always kills any record he is on.

Quote Originally Posted by darksideofkaos. View Post

Have never been able to get into this album. All through high school I had my friends telling me how fucking great Guns and Roses are and I just found it all kind of be bland... Personally I can't handle Axl's voice on any song. I have to give credit where credit is due though and say that Slash always kills any record he is on.
    It's the time when it came out, most bands were play it safe Glam Rock and then this dirty, true rock album came out. Although GN'R were 'glam' in some ways, they were much grittier and it was a shocking record to the mainstream public.

Also, for best Gn'R, check out Use Your Illusion, namely II. That is a brilliant record that never gets talked about, usually overshadowed by Appetite. Which is good, but UYI has a lot of depth and some very, very well written songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

for pet sounds i think a lot of the praise comes from the influence it has had on music since. for example on sgt. pepper, harmonies, orchestration in rock/pop music, the countless bands who have imitated their sound since, etc. i love the album personally, although i still don't care for sloop john b.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

With a lot of classic albums, as stated somewhat already, there's historical information and context that's required to really place these albums on the pedestals that they are.

That said, Very "Important" albums may just not sound that great to you, and you're more than welcome to have that opinion.

CONFESSION: I have never listened to Pet Sounds before.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    With a lot of classic albums, as stated somewhat already, there's historical information and context that's required to really place these albums on the pedestals that they are.
    I think as time passes the historical context becomes less and less important. Yes I'm sure it impacted how people heard it at the time, but unless I was actually one of those people, I don't really care. The historical context of Don Giovanni or Hellhound on My Trail are interesting but don't make me appreciate the music that much more. The great stuff stands on its own legs and transcends its context.

I think as time passes the historical context becomes less and less important. Yes I'm sure it impacted how people heard it at the time, but unless I was actually one of those people, I don't really care. The historical context of Don Giovanni or Hellhound on My Trail are interesting but don't make me appreciate the music that much more. The great stuff stands on its own legs and transcends its context.
    Do you feel this way about The Velvet Underground? (I'm assuming you at least like them a bit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.