Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury anyone?

Default Re: Glastonbury anyone?

http://www.nme.com/news/atoms-for-peace/71143

Thom Yorke and Nigel Godrich played a secret DJ set at Glastonbury festival late last night (June 28).

The Atoms For Peace pair had hinted to Zane Lowe earlier this year that they might play in some capacity, and Godrich tweeted a picture of the festival site on June 27.

The two-hour set kicked off at 1am at 'Heaven', a small area in Shangri-La which has waitresses dressed as angels, ceramic toilets and a no-shoe rule. Ed O'Brien of Radiohead and Carl Barāt were also in the area.

Yorke and Godrich played a genre-bending collection of records, mostly in unison but occasionally one would take the reins. Tracks played included 'Sexy MF' by Prince, 'Fuck Tha Police' by NWA, 'Once In A Lifetime' by Talking Heads, '212' by Azealia Banks and Desmond Dekker's '007'. The eclectic mix also featured jungle, rave, dancehall and soul.

Yorke danced energetically throughout the set, wearing a waistcoat and his hair up in a ponytail. Looking relaxed and happy, he doffed his black hat to the applauding crowd.

After the set, Godrich tweeted: "Same time. Same place tomorrow". Yorke has been spotted frequently around the Glastonbury site, and reportedly appeared onstage with Seasick Steve yesterday.
    Jarvis Cocker did another dj set, too:
    http://instagram.com/p/bKz4xLMOAi/
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    Thanks so much for this! Only seen Portishead and the Stones full sets so far, so hopefully they'll keep these up for a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Great reviews of the Stones gig ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

youtube has had a bunch of the full sets up....so, I suggest downloading them from there quickly if youre interested in watching them
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Hmmm let's start guessing who will be there next year...

Rolling Stones were Glastonbury's best ever headliners, says Michael Eavis

After 51 years of the Rolling Stones, 43 years of Glastonbury, and decades of will-they, won't they gossiping, in the end it was worth the wait: Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie et al were the festival's best ever headliners, according to Michael Eavis.

Eavis, who hosts the musical extravaganza on his farm in rural Somerset, said the two-hour performance – complete with fireworks and a flaming phoenix perched high on the Pyramid stage – was "absolutely brilliant".

He had tried to secure the band, still celebrating their 50th anniversary, for years and said he was not sure how next year's headliners, who have already been booked, would live up to the Stones.

"It was 43 years in the making, 50 years for them, and we've finally come together. We're on the same page at last," Eavis said, on the third day of music at the festival.

The 77-year-old, who organises the event with his daughter Emily, said: "It's the whole razzmatazz of the occasion - the two of us finally getting together at long last. I had to prove myself to them. We were a bunch of hippies; it's hardly a Rolling Stones set up, is it?."

The capacity of the Pyramid area was expanded for the first time for the Stones, meaning a festival record of 100,000 saw Sir Mick Jagger strutting his stuff. He led the band through their classics, starting with an energetic Jumpin' Jack Flash and ending with a soulful You Can't Always Get What You Want, before the crowd-pleasing Satisfaction.

Jagger was said to have been concerned about sound quality ahead of the gig, but his fears were unfounded.

"Musically, they were absolutely brilliant," said Eavis, who claimed the band were number one in his top 10 of headliners, above Radiohead, U2 and Oasis.

"Mick Jagger's energy leading that band with such a passion and so much style; he was absolutely amazing. I've never seen anything like it. It's quite remarkable to think he can go like that, at his age.

"I'm a bit older and I couldn't keep going. His legs and his arms and his movement – he was going for it like his life depended on it."

The mechanical phoenix created by Joe Rush, which came to life during Sympathy For The Devil, was a labour of love and had health and safety officials fretting, Eavis said. He laughingly claimed the ornate moving sculpture cost almost the same as the Stones' fee for their set.

Bands have already been booked for next year's key Pyramid stage headline slots. Asked if there were any veteran rockers on a par with the Stones, Eavis smiled and said: "Ever so slightly, yeah."

He joked that there were now very few acts left on his wish list, and pondering how many more festivals he will organise, said: "Another 10, do you think?".

While Eavis said he had been known to say it before, 2013 was the best year yet. "It's actually true," the farmer said. "It really is the best festival I've ever done, without a shadow of a doubt."

He said the ticket holders, of which there were 135,000 this year, were what kept him going.

A BBC Two spokesman said its coverage of The Rolling Stones peaked at 2.5 million viewers, compared with the peak of 2.2 million for Coldplay who headlined in the Saturday slot at the last Glastonbury festival in 2011.

Other highlights of the weekend included Friday night's headline set from the Arctic Monkeys, Portishead on the Other Stage and an early morning performance from Liam Gallagher's band Beady Eye.

Eavis said he had particularly enjoyed Elvis Costello's Saturday afternoon gig, and taking part in a karaoke session on Saturday afternoon. "It fills me with so much confidence because people love it so much," he said. "The people are so thrilled to be here. So that's my energy, really."

Bookmakers Ladbrokes have given odds of 4/5 that next year's festival tickets, which go on sale in October, will sell out in record time.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013...ver-headliners

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I am going with Fleetwood Mac, Arcade Fire and The Cure
    Also I registered for tickets for next year

Kasabian and Foo Fighters are early favourites to headline Glastonbury 2014, with Oasis an outside bet according to bookmakers.

A spokesperson for bookmakers William Hill announced that both Kasabian, who last played the festival in 2009, and Foo Fighters, last seen at Glastonbury in 1998, have odds of 6/1 to top the bill in 2014. Both acts are believed to be releasing new albums next year and bookmakers are confident of seeing them appear on The Pyramid Stage. Other bands and artists tipped to follow this year's headliners include Noel Gallagher, The Stone Roses, Prince, Daft Punk and David Bowie.

With odds of 25/1, Oasis are also in the running. Liam Gallagher recently said that he'd be interested in reforming the band in 2014 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their debut album, 'Definitely Maybe'.

"Kasabian and the Foo Fighters are festival royalty and with some new material potentially in the offing, they are always going to be in the forefront of the Glasto thinking next year," said William Hill spokesman Joe Crilly . "Although with Sabbath (25/1) reforming and scaling the charts with their new release and a potential Oasis (25/1) anniversary in the offing, there is a little bit of outside value to be found in the market."

At this weekend's festival, bands and artists including Johnny Marr, Haim and Foals spoke to NME about who they want to see headline Glastonbury in 2014. Click here to see who they selected.
    William Hill's Glastonbury headliners 2014 odds are as follows:

Kasabian (6/1)
    Foo Fighters (6/1)
    Noel Gallagher and High Flying Birds (8/1)
    The Stone Roses (10/1)
    Kings of Leon (12/1)
    Bob Dylan (16/1)
    Prince (16/1)
    Daft Punk (20/1)
    Bloc Party (20/1)
    Oasis (25/1)
    Led Zeppelin (25/1)
    Pink Floyd (25/1)
    David Bowie (25/1)
    Black Sabbath (25/1)
    Kanye West (25/1)
    Jay-Z (25/1)
    Fleetwood Mac (33/1)
    Happy Mondays (33/1)
    Justin Timberlake (33/1)
    Lionel Richie (33/1)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (33/1)
    New Order (33/1)
    Jake Bugg (40/1)
    Florence + The Machine (50/1)
    Bruce Springsteen (50/1)
    Elvis Costello (66/1)
    Justin Bieber (100/1)

http://www.nme.com/news/various-arti...lL1sllxPMcU.99

7/22 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Prospect Park
    7/23 Witch @ MHOW
    7/24 Teenage Fanclub @ Pier 84
    7/24 Lauren Ritter @ TBA
    7/25 Nick Cave @ Prospect Park
    7/26 Cell Injection/Black Asteroid @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Is Noel Gallagher really big enough to headline the Pyramid stage?
    Anyway I am going with
    Arcade Fire
    Foo Fighters
    David Bowie

hopefully Pulp with a new album but more likely Florence & the Machine
    Arcade Fire
    Kanye West
    Last edited by Boourns; 07-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Is Noel Gallagher really big enough to headline the Pyramid stage?
    Anyway I am going with
    Arcade Fire
    Foo Fighters
    David Bowie
    Na I don't think so. Beady Eye were so mediocre, neither of the Gallagher brothers impress me very much. I never realized how much popular Oasis is there....people lost their shit when Beady Eye played Oasis songs.

Regardless Glastonbury 13 was the best weekend of my life. Gosh that place is massive. I ended up staying at the Pyramid stage from 2PM forward on Saturday and got center rail for The Stones. They were fantastic, though I did hear there were sound problems further back in the crowd of 100,000 people. Got a setlist too!

Here's who I saw (not including the little cabaret acts I can't remember)

Thursday:
    Fatboy Slim - fun but quite derivative, like his original stuff much more

Friday:
    TBA (Beady Eye) - mediocre at best
    The Hives - good fun - got a pick
    King Krule - moody and relaxing - on the rail - got a setlist
    Tame Impala - good but not my favorite band
    Alt-J - better than expected
    Foals - impeccable awesomeness - on the rail
    Portishead - perfection - on the rail - got a setlist

Saturday:
    Billy Bragg - enjoyable political rock
    Laura Mvula - spent most of the set laughing over her name
    Ben Howard - surprisingly good indiefolk - on the rail
    Elvis Costello - talented, but not my cup of tea - on the rail
    Primal Scream - bleh, don't see why they're so popular in the UK - on the rail
    The Rolling Stones - amazing - on the rail - got a setlist

Sunday: - partied too hard the night before.....late start
    Of Monsters and Men - blah
    Editors - decent - on the rail
    Smashing Pumpkins - absolute madness, 41 crowd surfers went over the rail - on the rail - got a pick
    The XX - good, but seen em so many times that I was a little bored

Overall what an amazing 5 days. Spent a lot of time wandering, sneaking into shangri-la without waiting in the queue, almost made it into Thom's DJ set. Saw Thom walking around too. So much better than Coachella, it's not even a competition.

My guess for next year:
    Arcade Fire (Friday)
    David Bowie (Saturday)
    Foo Fighters (Sunday)
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-01-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    13 - War On Drugs - 50 Kent
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    17 - 19 - The National - Prospect
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    21 - Bill Maher - Capitol
    22 - Dave Chapelle - Radio City
    24 - Dave Chapelle & The Roots - Radio City
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

old school

great to hear you had the time of your life, ameeps. miss that place so much.

*tears*
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

is this a competition to pick the most boring possible headliners for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    is this a competition to pick the most boring possible headliners for next year?
    Black Keys
    Fun.
    Kings of Leon

is Jake Bugg really that big over there to be on that list? WoW

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Is Glastonbury about the headliners?
    I would have only watched the stones this year and been at portishead and cat power then bobby womack had I gone this year. They have better headliner counter-programming than most anyone, really. But it sure can be gratifying to see a smashing good headline set like Blur or Neil or Stevie.

Unless primavera is extra brilliant, I am going back next year. Watching these videos and reading the reports has reallymade me miss it.

In Heathrow right now about to take off for Croatia for a week of some proper electronic music on the beach, but man was Glasto everything it is hyped up to be. I'll post some pics when I get home in attempt to portray some of the magic. Dwarfs any other festival experience to date.

So you stayed at one stage each day, thats very exciting.
    Saturday yes, Friday and Sunday only for the last few bands of the day. Otherwise I was out and about exploring, watching little acts in Avalon Cafe, looking at art installations, etc.

Coachella tries to empansize they're a music and arts festival, but this is the first festival I've been to that truly seems like its about art and more than just the music.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I agree with Supre, I don't care much about the headliners, hell I only saw 1 of them and I had the time of my life.
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-02-2013 at 04:08 AM.

June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

I made no comment on how important headliners are to the festival, I simply made a comment on how boring all of your guesses at headliners were.

Let's hear yours

See above post.
    Can someone clue me in......did you get banned Supre and then create a new account, or is this not you?

June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

So you stayed at one stage each day, thats very exciting.
    Living with your parents well into your 30's. That's very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Can someone clue me in......did you get banned Supre and then create a new account, or is this not you?
    Explain yourself! Whoever you are.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Depeche Mode, Fleetwood Mac, Elbow?
    http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/13/130705e.shtml

Wow I really underestimated Elbow's popularity in The UK. I figured they would be a Pyramid Sub or Other Stage closer. I guess if Arcade Fire plays they are headlining The Other Stage?

Who the hell is Elbow? Efestivals is pretty credible, but people on the board say they've heard from reliable sources that Arcade Fire has been offered a headlining spot. So maybe that happened after one of these 3 didn't end up signing a contract? Either way I just want arcade fire to be there.

Can't wait for next year, already got my passes secured!

June
    5 - tUnE-yArDs - Fonda
    10 - Jack White - Fonda
    11 - Jack White - Mayan
    14 - Beirut - 50 Kent
    15 - CHVRCHES - McCarren
    16 - Phantogram - T5
    20 - Little Dragon - T5
    26 - Warpaint - Prospect
    30 - Beck - Hammerstein

old school

What happens if the Stone Roses album gets done?

Finally back to the normal routine and got the pictures uploaded. Here's a couple of my favorites.

View from the top

Getting ready for the Stones

The Rolling Fucking Stones

Just enough mud to get a "real" Glasto experience

Arcadia

Lords of Lightning

The wife and I enjoying the view

Loving the tipi

Edit: fixed
    Last edited by bemerritt; 07-11-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Nice pics. Lords of lightning!

Gotta love the views from the top of the hills.

I love the view from the top of the hills too. ah.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    Finally back to the normal routine and got the pictures uploaded. Here's a couple of my favorites.
    The Rolling Fucking Stones
    Cool picture, but Jesus Christ. What a fucking shit show. Were you able to even see anything past those flags?? How incredibly stupid.
    For your health