Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury anyone?

Default Re: Glastonbury anyone?

We could actually see more than you would think. We were close enough that the majority of the flags were at a height well above stage level.

Great pictures bemerritt.

It makes me want to convince my fiance to go there for our honeymoon next year.

It was our honeymoon and it could not have been a better way to celebrate. Especially if you splurge on a tipi. Made it hassle free, walking onto the site at noon on Wednesday with any queues to get through the gates but still having a prime spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    It was our honeymoon and it could not have been a better way to celebrate. Especially if you splurge on a tipi. Made it hassle free, walking onto the site at noon on Wednesday with any queues to get through the gates but still having a prime spot.
    I tip my hat to you sir. I feel like Glastonbury is going to the one that got away since I'm becoming an old crotchety man. However, the tee-pee thing sounds intriguing and doable.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

as horrible as the flags might seem in concept or even in pictures, in practice I love them. I never once felt they were getting in the way, and seeing so many flags waving back and forth over the crowds is pretty darn cool.

Agreed. And even if it weren't for the flags, you wouldn't see shit anyway because the stage is so far away.

I got to see Neil Young from about 20 rows back and Blur from close, as well, so there's always the option of just getting within spitting distance, where there are no flags. But sometimes it was nice to just chill in the back and enjoy the view.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

old school

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    as horrible as the flags might seem in concept or even in pictures, in practice I love them. I never once felt they were getting in the way, and seeing so many flags waving back and forth over the crowds is pretty darn cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_iXyDNjU2Q

Notice how the flags were screwing up all the camera angles? Even far away looking at the screen your viewed was messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

Notice how the flags were screwing up all the camera angles? Even far away looking at the screen your viewed was messed up.
    View from a camera hovering over the crowd does not equal view from a person standing in the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

my argument: first hand experience. your argument: someone else's video.

besides, I never made the argument that they are never intrusive. just that I have never found them intrusive.

Bzzzzz
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I love the flags and everything that entails. Not sure about flairs though. I think I might skip the fests here next year (cept C cuz I have tics) and finally go to there. The pics were jaw dropping cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I love the flags and everything that entails. Not sure about flairs though. I think I might skip the fests here next year (cept C cuz I have tics) and finally go to there. The pics were jaw dropping cr****
    Do it, totally worth it. Here's a sampling of my pics from this year. View the rest here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/...7634443731311/

Burning Phoenix by ameeps, on Flickr

The Hives by ameeps, on Flickr

King Krule by ameeps, on Flickr

Portishead by ameeps, on Flickr

Ben Howard by ameeps, on Flickr

God Hates Flags by ameeps, on Flickr

The Rolling Stones by ameeps, on Flickr

Thom Yorke by ameeps, on Flickr

The Smashing Pumpkins by ameeps, on Flickr

Zebra Man by ameeps, on Flickr

The XX by ameeps, on Flickr
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Check out my concert photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/
    August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    4 - Arcade Fire - Santa Barbara Bowl
    8-10 - Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park
    14 - Death From Above 1979 - Troubadour
    20 - The Strokes - Chelsea at Cosmopolitan

I'm not sure who you are dude but all of your pics are totally amazing. I would say to other board members to click on the link for others. BTW I am straight so this is not just a usual goofy statement. cr***
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

huh. so you saw Thom Yorke just walking around?

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I'm not sure who you are dude but all of your pics are totally amazing. I would say to other board members to click on the link for others. BTW I am straight so this is not just a usual goofy statement. cr***
    Thanks man, appreciate it. I'm getting a better camera soon too, just using a little point and shoot right now.

huh. so you saw Thom Yorke just walking around?
    Yup, followed him from a distance with my friend for a few minutes until he entered his uber VIP area.
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-15-2013 at 08:19 AM.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

old school

great pics. looks like they expanded the teepee section.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Bowie rumors

According to yesterday's local newspaper, the Somerset Gazette, (here) Glastonbury Festival boss Michael Eavis has revealed his desire to have David Bowie appear at the Festival again in the future.

Eavis told the paper that he and daughter and Emily are busy signing up acts for next year's festival, saying, "The younger ones sort out most of the music, but I like to book the headline names. I can't tell you at the moment who that will be as we're still talking to people. David's done it a couple of times before but Iím sure he could come back again."

The legendary pop singer first played the festival back in 1971 before returning to the Pyramid stage in 2000. The article also suggests that other acts in the frame to top the bill at Worthy Farm in Pilton, Somerset over next summer from Wednesday 25th until Sunday 29th June 2014 include Fleetwood Mac, Daft Punk, Kasabian, Foo Fighters, with unlikely suggestions including Black Sabbath, and a reformed Oasis.

Last week Armel Campagna festival director for Live Nation's Main Square was asked about the chances of Bowie appearing at the French event in an interview about headlners for 2014, (here) and replied, "If David Bowie is at a festival next summer it will be Glastonbury and probably only that one."

As usual the full line-up won't be revealed until mid-April next year, although the first names are expected be announced sometime before that.

eFestivals believes that Elbow, Fleetwood Mac, and Depeche Mode were the three bands Michael Eavis was referring to many months ago when he said he had the 2014 headliners sorted, and it's likely that at least one of these acts will top the bill next year.

Registration to be able to buy tickets for Glastonbury 2014 is now open. Everyone who plans to the come the Festival must register, and that includes children aged 13, 14 and 15. Registration does not reserve or guarantee you a ticket when they go on sale in October 2013, but if you don't register you will not be able to buy a weekend ticket for Glastonbury Festival 2014. Online registration for 2014 can be carried out by clicking here.

The line-up for Glastonbury Festival 2014 has not yet been announced. Keep your eyes on our Glastonbury Festival 2014 line-up page for our rumours of who might be appearing next year.

If you hear rumour of who will be playing at Glastonbury 2014, please do send us details of what you've heard and where you've heard it - we're always grateful for your contributions. Send what you hear to newsroom@efestivals.co.uk.

Meanwhile, relive your Glastonbury 2013 with our photo galleries.

Glastonbury Festival tickets will go on sale in October and will be securable with a deposit. eFestivals will have links for you to buy them then.

Read more at http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/13/...43aYoOHG8Bo.99
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by ameeps View Post
    Do it, totally worth it. Here's a sampling of my pics from this year. View the rest here http://www.flickr.com/photos/ameeps/...7634443731311/

Burning Phoenix by ameeps, on Flickr

The Hives by ameeps, on Flickr

King Krule by ameeps, on Flickr

Portishead by ameeps, on Flickr

Ben Howard by ameeps, on Flickr

God Hates Flags by ameeps, on Flickr

Thom Yorke by ameeps, on Flickr

The Smashing Pumpkins by ameeps, on Flickr

Zebra Man by ameeps, on Flickr

The XX by ameeps, on Flickr
    Supredouche wishes he could take photos like these. Excellent pics. You've got the eye.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

An oldie, but...oof

David Gilmour: Rick Wright denied Glastonbury dream

The Pink Floyd frontman reveals his late bandmate's last wish was to play this year's Glastonbury festival

Pink Floyd were rejected from this year's Glastonbury festival, it has been confirmed, due to the logistics of major festival programming. And although one of Rick Wright's last wishes was to play the festival, organisers could not fit the band on to the bill at the last minute.

Wright, Pink Floyd's keyboardist, died in September after a battle with cancer.

Guitarist David Gilmour brought up the incident at yesterday's Q Awards ceremony, where his band accepted an Outstanding Contribution award.

"[I] worked [with Rick Wright] for 40 odd years, and that has now come to an end," Gilmour said. "There is all sorts of music that I'll not be able to play again, without him, which is a source of sadness for me."

"One of the last things he wanted to do, in this last year, was to do a big outdoor festival, such as Glastonbury. We weren't able to do that due for all sorts of strange reasons, which, again, is a sadness."

Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis responded with sadness to Gilmour's comments. "We were obviously upset to hear him say that," she told BBC 6 Music. "I think maybe he has been misinformed by someone that it was some sort of thing about them, but it wasn't at all, it was just purely because we couldn't fit them on anywhere."

"We had a call from their agents three weeks before the festival and we'd already booked three headliners, and there was nothing we could do apart from bump someone off and we've never done that before," Eavis said. "We couldn't just say 'Sorry, you've now got to play underneath someone because someone bigger has come along.'"

Apparently, festival organisers considered bumping Kings of Leon to a less important billing, their final call was to let things stand.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008...nied.last.wish

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Oof indeed...now's my first time hearing about that and it breaks my heart a little. I can't decide if i'm mad at Glastonbury or not. It would be wrong and probably go against contracts to bump someone down, but at the same time, it's also wrong to not let a dying man play with one of the greatest bands of all time. Shit. And you can't just put them on a small stage or a riot will break out. It was clearly a very difficult decision that's for sure...

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

having to turn down pink floyd because you had already booked kings of leon. ouch.

What did logistics look like for someone coming from the U.S. (especially the West Coast)? I.E. how were flights, where did you stay, are there a lot of people coming in without tents like me, etc.

My (hellish) work program ends in mid-June and I just accepted a job offer the first week of August so I was kicking around maybe doing a solo trip to Glastonbury.

Flight will be around $1200 from the west coast. Some people come without tents and you can buy them on site, but the selection obviously isn't the best.

Quote Originally Posted by silver06 View Post
    What did logistics look like for someone coming from the U.S. (especially the West Coast)? I.E. how were flights, where did you stay, are there a lot of people coming in without tents like me, etc.

My (hellish) work program ends in mid-June and I just accepted a job offer the first week of August so I was kicking around maybe doing a solo trip to Glastonbury.
    If you are willing to pay for it, you can buy literally everything you need to camp onsite. As Boourns said, the quality will be low and the price will be high. We brought everything we needed to camp except a tent. We ate all of our (delicious) food from the stalls. Book the coaches round trip from wherever you choose to spend the night before the fest (we chose bath).

having to turn down pink floyd because you had already booked kings of leon. ouch.
    Yeah that's terrible

I flew round trip from Los Angeles. Booked my flight fairly list minute (a month before) and it was $1700 for roundtrip direct coach on Virgin.

I stayed in a cheap little hotel in London for a night and then took the National Express coach to Glastonbury. I highly highly recommend doing this. It takes you directly from central London to the festival grounds. And you get meal discounts and stuff for being a "green traveller".

Obviously the highest concentration of people there are from the UK, but we did meet a fair amount of foreigners like us. I stayed in a premade Tipi, which is hassle free but very costly--it's 950 pounds but it holds up to 6 people. Since you're going alone I wouldn't recommend this option because of its price.

You can either purchase a tent in London and lug it to Glastonbury, or purchase a way more expensive tent at Glastonbury. Like others said, the price of everything is extremely inflated at the festival. Depending on where you can/want to camp, you could be walking up to 25-30 minutes from the entrance to where you pitch your tent.

Another option is Worthy View offsite camping. About a 10 minute walk from the main festival grounds you can stay in premade tents (not tipis) that start at 200 pounds.
    Last edited by ameeps; 07-29-2013 at 01:52 PM.

August
    1 - Arcade Fire - Forum
    2 - Arcade Fire - Forum

My flight from Edmonton (central-ish Canada, but it gives you a slight idea) direct to London worked out to about $1700 CAD. Caught a lift with a friend from Brighton the morning the gates opened, however I took a National Express coach back to London post-Glasto and it was quite nice and not too badly priced. We stayed off-site at Tangerine Fields. A 2 person tent was about 250 quid, and I felt that my belongings were quite a bit more secure than staying onsite. The horror stories you hear about people getting their wallet stolen from their pocket while they're sleeping in their tent scares the shit out of me, particularly with my passport floating around. That said, the onsite property lock-ups are supposed to be absolutely fantastic for storing things like wallets and whatnot.

Should have at least asked Kings of Leon if they wouldn't mind playing before Pink Floyd. Of course, since they are as awful at being people as they are at making music, they wouldn't have been down.

Thanks for the insights, guys, and I'll certainly be coming back if and when the plan gets more serious.

I guess if I know I'm the only one of my friends willing to spend this much to make it, I have to weigh the pros and cons of spending that much to do this on my own vs. something else that might be more appealing to my gf/friends we can do together...

I doubt this but hey...

David Bowie tipped for Glastonbury return by Michael Eavis

Published Tuesday, Jul 23 2013, 11:03am EDT | By Lewis Corner | 1 comment

David Bowie has been tipped for next year's Glastonbury music festival.

Founder and organiser Michael Eavis mentioned the iconic star's name when talking about potential headliners for 2014.

"The younger ones sort out most of the music, but I like to book the headline names," Eavis told the Central Somerset Gazette about the booking process.

"I can't tell you at the moment who that will be as we're still talking to people. David's done it a couple of times before but I'm sure he could come back again."

Bowie has headlined Glastonbury twice before - back in 1971 for the festival's second year when the entrance fee was free, and in 2000 alongside Travis and The Chemical Brothers.

The star hasn't performed his latest album The Next Day live for fans yet, despite being heavily rumored to embark on a small tour with the record.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...eavis.html?rss