Page 42 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1781

Thread: The Office Space Thread

Default Re: The Office Space Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    when i am king, the throat-clearers and whistlers will be first against the wall.
    I don't whistle at my desk but I do when I'm walking around. Not always but sometimes.

Would you execute me?

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I just gave two weeks notice and was told no, like it was an option. He then asked me to let them have more than two weeks. I even agreed to it at first but then realized that I would then have to wait another month for insurance. Fuck that.
    Glad the other job came through - good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Thanks, I was actually pretty shocked by the offer that came through, it was much more than I expected. It's pretty exciting, and a fifteen minute commute, it's like a dream come true. And I don't have to fake a pee test, whoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    Thanks, I was actually pretty shocked by the offer that came through, it was much more than I expected. It's pretty exciting, and a fifteen minute commute, it's like a dream come true. And I don't have to fake a pee test, whoot.
    That's great!
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

I missed a call earlier today because I was in a meeting. A voice message was left, it ended with....

....thanks love you bye.

Thank you Microsoft speech technology, it was a great laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    I missed a call earlier today because I was in a meeting. A voice message was left, it ended with....

....thanks love you bye.

I accidentally said "love you" to someone at the end of a business call, just purely out of habit, and managed to stammer "ummm sorry" before he hung up. * Face palm.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I used to work at a hobby store called Victory Station. i answered the phone so constantly 6 days a week for several years that i would find myself answering the phone at my house as "Hello, Victory Station!" every once in a while on pure reflex.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I used to work at a hobby store called Victory Station. i answered the phone so constantly 6 days a week for several years that i would find myself answering the phone at my house as "Hello, Victory Station!" every once in a while on pure reflex.
    When I worked in an office every day, I would sometimes dial 9 first to make an outgoing call on my home phone.

I interviewed for another team yesterday. It would be a lateral move, but more room for growth and i'd be switching from salary to hourly (haven't been hourly in years) so though there's no base salary change, i would be making more money in OT since it's a much busier dept.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Good luck! I hope you get it.

I have the worst case of short timers ever. Every hour that I sit here at my current job I am thinking I could be sitting at the other and making more money. It's going to be a long two weeks. I was planning on giving 10 full working days of notice, but I am thinking that leaving next Friday might have to be good enough.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I don't whistle at my desk but I do when I'm walking around. Not always but sometimes.

Would you execute me?
    why yes i would

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post

....thanks love you bye.

i've not used this technology, but i find that businesses that do never understand any of my voicemails and ask me to repeat everything when they could have just listened to the voicemail and started resolving my issue without talking to me. i'm pretty good about speaking slowly and clearly and including all important information, such as reference numbers or stating what my specific issue is. i hate this technology. it doesn't work and just creates a whole new level of confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I don't rely on the text at all. Her voice message was easy to understand and I listened to it immediately after reading the message text. I just found it funny as hell how it was so off. Apparently my name translates to "love you". Haha!

I work at a video game company, and Mastodon came to our studio for a tour yesterday. They gave us free CDs and signed posters and I was able to meet them and hero worship them like a giddy little girl. I was then reprimanded for leaving confidential content up on my screen when they were walking through my area -_____-.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

Quote Originally Posted by roboticwaltz View Post
    I work at a video game company, and Mastodon came to our studio for a tour yesterday. They gave us free CDs and signed posters and I was able to meet them and hero worship them like a giddy little girl. I was then reprimanded for leaving confidential content up on my screen when they were walking through my area -_____-.
    Im curious as to what type of information (other than "confidential") you left up
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Basically, I didn't turn my TV off so it was essentially a still-frame of the game I'm working on. I guess it's a good thing Mastodon doesn't write for IGN.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

is it better to place verbs at the beginning or end of sentences/phrases? i constantly get into discussions with my manager because i start project tasks with verbs. "compile documentation, create business plan, determine cutover strategy". my boss prefers the verbs at the end of the sentence. i think it's awkward, wordy, and reads funny. but i'm no expert in grammar and can't find any evidence to support my claim. any advice?

is it better to place verbs at the beginning or end of sentences/phrases? i constantly get into discussions with my manager because i start project tasks with verbs. "compile documentation, create business plan, determine cutover strategy". my boss prefers the verbs at the end of the sentence. i think it's awkward, wordy, and reads funny. but i'm no expert in grammar and can't find any evidence to support my claim. any advice?
    ...seriously?
    I don't even know where to start. The simple answer to your question: Typically, proper verb placement in a full complete sentence comes after the subject. I'll leave it at that because your question is...baffling.

EDIT: I think your question is more centered on format/style for project tasks and presentation, not verb placements in sentences. So in that case, make your boss happy. Work/life is better that way.
    Last edited by Dogvolta; 01-23-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

So, he wants you to say things like, "documentation to be compiled"?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    So, he wants you to say things like, "documentation to be compiled"?
    actually, she wants everything in the past tense, even if we haven't completed the task yet. so it would be "documentation compiled".

i know it's a silly question, but when you're reading project plans that go on for dozens of pages, it's really annoying for the first word of every sentence to be "documentation compiled, documentation reviewed, documentation edited, documentation approved". seems easier to me to put the verb first, but that's just me. yes, i make my boss happy, but every single person i interact with that provides me with tasks formats them the same way i do, so i have to change them around.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

I suggest you go for more of a yoda aesthetic. "documentation compile. business plan create. cutover strategy determine."

Verbiage dispute settled.

My CEO just sent out an email saying they have a "contigency plan" if we decide to participate in a "work stoppage." Also if we don't have a "competitive cost structure," we may lose customers, revenue, and jobs. Shit just got real. My union and employer have been negotiating since August; our contract expired in October. When will this end? It sounds like he is daring us to go on strike and then he will fire us all.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 01-24-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

that's what it sounds like to me

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

actually, she wants everything in the past tense, even if we haven't completed the task yet. so it would be "documentation compiled".

i know it's a silly question, but when you're reading project plans that go on for dozens of pages, it's really annoying for the first word of every sentence to be "documentation compiled, documentation reviewed, documentation edited, documentation approved". seems easier to me to put the verb first, but that's just me. yes, i make my boss happy, but every single person i interact with that provides me with tasks formats them the same way i do, so i have to change them around.
    yes, it seems extremely counterproductive to have a huge lists of tasks wherein the same subject is repeated for a huge list of tasks.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

moved my desk today and not unpacking. i'm hoping to hear some good news on a move to a new team by early next week. Fingers crossed everybody, woohoo.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

i'm all for team lunches that let us get out of the office, even if we have to pay for lunch, and take a longer lunch than normal. but i hate when they become shopping excursions. i don't want to go to the $9.99 shoe store. i hate crappy shoes and just want to get out of the office!!!

also, it's been super slow this week and i already took my final for my last week of my current class and even filed my taxes. ugh, i'm so bored and won't get any work until the end of the day when i have meetings. i probably shouldn't complain about that, but i like being busy.

we just had stuff catered in today for all the hard work we've been doing this week. I think it was a trick to get people to work thru their lunch. I left to go to the post office.

That's what I would do.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    My CEO just sent out an email saying they have a "contigency plan" if we decide to participate in a "work stoppage." Also if we don't have a "competitive cost structure," we may lose customers, revenue, and jobs. Shit just got real. My union and employer have been negotiating since August; our contract expired in October. When will this end? It sounds like he is daring us to go on strike and then he will fire us all.
    Three strikes and you're out, zzzizzzla.

I took a job making less than I had been making with the promise of a review in thirty days... Two months later and no review, I got offered another job making more somewhere else and have two days left at the last place and never want to go back to work for the last company again. I am tempted to just give the last company a big fuck you in the face and take two days off. Bad idea?