Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with buying a record player

Default Re: Help with buying a record player

shit. they've changed their line. used to be Xpression (http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/p...xpression3.htm)... but that looks to be the right one. one other drawback with the debut is the undersized platter which can present some problems depending on how picky you are.

at most you'll have to swap the cartridge every few years... but you will probably change the stylus every six months if you use it heavily and want to avoid any damage to your record.

whatever you get make sure it has usb support to dump the stuff you like onto your hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by elChurro View Post
    whatever you get make sure it has usb support to dump the stuff you like onto your hard drive.
    i vehemently disagree. most USB enabled tables are awful at best. so if you care at all about sound quality it will be worthless. you'll be better off paying a small price for an audio interface that you can go out to straight from your phono amp.

Very pricey. Would you say it's totally worth it to wait and just buy that if I plan to make a hobby out of this? Setup looks like it would cost almost $900 with cartridge.

I can dig the cartridge maintenance.
    waka waka

That would be my recommendation. If you get serious, you'll lose money on selling your first table and upgrading anyhow... But it wouldn't be a substantial loss either way...

hmm definitely going to give it some thought. appreciate the advice. i was looking for this kind of insight.
    waka waka

Another option is to go with Rega, who many people swear by (including my brother who essentially bought the Rega equivalent to my table. I would recommend it wholeheartedly)... Not to complicate your decision any further... But this kind of decision might also be resolved via convenience... If you have a local dealer with a particular preference who can provide better support etc...

There's a record store a block down from my work in pasadena, I planned on stopping in after i get off to chat with them as well and see what they have to offer.

Difficult choices ahead.
    waka waka

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post
    Get a used technics 1200. It will last you 20 years with minimal upkeep.
    BAM. Not to mention pitch control.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

not to devolve into a debate that exists in many forms all over the place... but direct drives tend to generate rumble and noise associated with the motor... the tonearms are also severely limited beyond a certain points on that model. The technics are absolute beasts though... and work well in most circumstances.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I think it depends on what kind of listening you are doing. I listen casually and it is a casual hobby, as far as the collecting goes. I don't need to drop a G on a table and cartridge for a bedroom setup because I wouldn't hear the difference in there anyway. I think you should take into account where you will be listening and how intently you will be listening before you spend the money.

And I have never heard any motor noise from direct drive decks, but I wasn't listening through a $10k sound system either.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    And I have never heard any motor noise from direct drive decks, but I wasn't listening through a $10k sound system either.
    I can hear rumble from Technics rips on my sony studio headphones fwiw. It's not invasive, but it is there.

Shit, I just remembered another drawback to the Debut... The platter is metal and so you can't use moving magnet cartridges with it... Not sure if you can find replacement platters or not. I imagine you can.

what he said

seriously

even if you arent a dj

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

One of mine actually belonged to my uncle in the 80s. It was built in 1982, so try at least 30 years. Other than the start/stop button not being "feather touch" it's identical to the ones from today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

i too am in the market for a record player and im willing to spend maybe up to $200 on a nice one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    i'm still rockin' this tecnics sl-5 that the parents had when i was a kid, gotta be at least 25 years old and still holds up!

p.s. - can anyone recommend a decent/decent priced cartridge/stylus for this one? would the old school cartridge still be okay, maybe just replace the stylus?

also, are all p-mount cartridges compatible/interchangeable? or should i be looking for a specific brand?

been using this site to try and narrow it down:
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...unt-Cartridges
    Last edited by JustSteve; 05-30-2010 at 09:31 PM.

Aight guys, I'm looking for some help here:

I've got a Pioneer PL-510S that I want to get into full working order. Right now, that is all I have. The record player itself is in fine condition, but I'm going to replace the needle and, based on y'all's talk in here, the cartridge as well. There might be speakers that my dad'll give me, but I'm not certain. I'm looking for recommendations on an amp to get (and whether I should get something with a built in pre-amp or not), as well as recs for places to get cartridges and needles, since I'm sure I need both. I'm completely green when it comes to doing this stuff, so I'd love any and all input. Also, is replacing a needle/cartridge something I could do on my own?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I know Jared will have input to offer as well, but as far as amps, a lot of newer ones that I have seen dont have the ground post on the back which is necessary for your deck. You can find stuff on ebay, but I bet you could easily find something on Craigslist that has a phono input on the back to avoid shipping anything. Sony, Technics, Pioneer and Denon are all good bets when looking at older gear. As far as the cart/needle, I got mine from lpgear.com. Ordering was simple, shipping was fine and it works great. And yeah, you could easily replace it by yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Sounds good. Any particular amps you'd recommend? How much of a difference would a good v. a middling amp make in terms of audio quality? I'm not going to be looking for absolute pristine-ness at this point because whatever speaker set up I have will not be top of the line. I think I've found the cartridge I should get, so now it's just an amp choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So our decades-old record player just crapped out and I've been entrusted with getting a new one. I'm looking for something real basic, just something to play records on. Pretty sure I don't need USB and we already have speakers. I'd prefer not to spend a lot (of course) and hopefully it's something relatively easy to find. I skimmed this thread but since it's a few years old now...any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

ebay ebay ebay.....

about a year and a half ago i picked up a Vintage MCS 6601 Direct Drive Turntable for only $60. I believe it was made in 1979. Absolutely love it, but as others have mentioned its not just about the table. Save some money and get yourself a good cartridge and needle.

not sure how long this photo will last, its from ebay.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Craigslist generally has good stuff depending on your location. Sounds like your needs are pretty minimal, scour the classifieds for something that looks good, e-mail & set up a play-test before you buy. Money saved can then be put towards a good cartridge/stylus rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Alright, thanks.

I'm eyeing these two right now, both under $100 and solid reviews. Thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX300U...ywords=pslx300

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP.../ref=pd_cp_e_0

I bought the LP-60 as an entry level rig a couple years ago and I'm quite happy with it. Like most people will tell you, you can do some searching for an older, better turntable for the same price, but outside of that, I think this might be the best turntable under $100. I can't speak for the Sony though.

Pemberton (7/18-20) ~ FYF (8/22-23)

Save a bit longer and get something a bit better. Of those two I'd go with the AT, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.