Thread: Hip-Hop Venues

Default Hip-Hop Venues

I was looking into hip-hop venues in the area and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions...i'm looking into booking a west coast tour for my artist Goldsmith and a Chicago artist G.o.D. Jewels. If there's hip-hop nights, anything, that info would be awesome. I've got a show in Fresno with Fashawns people and i'm gonna be presenting the SD show...

Thanks!

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Default Re: Hip-Hop Venues

hip hop venues in the bay area? I most often check out hip hop shows at Club 6, 330 Rich St, the Independent, Slims, Shattuck Downlow (Berkeley), Oakland Metro, Ive gone to hip hop shows at mighty and Mezzanine too. Just about all venues I know hold hip hop shows.

Im really not familiar with your artists (no disrespect) so are you looking for a smaller club? Ive seen hip hop at cafe Du Nord, Bottom of the Hill, El Ricon, and SF state

Quote Originally Posted by BigBryan View Post
    hip hop venues in the bay area? I most often check out hip hop shows at Club 6, 330 Rich St, the Independent, Slims, Shattuck Downlow (Berkeley), Oakland Metro, Ive gone to hip hop shows at mighty and Mezzanine too. Just about all venues I know hold hip hop shows.

Im really not familiar with your artists (no disrespect) so are you looking for a smaller club? Ive seen hip hop at cafe Du Nord, Bottom of the Hill, El Ricon, and SF state
    yeah one is my artist from SD, Goldsmith, who has opened my shows with Wiz Khalifa, Fashawn, Dom Kennedy, and TiRon...the other is an artist from Chicago, G.o.D. Jewels, who i flew out from Chicago for the Dom Kennedy show and will be bringing on the tour...it will definitely be a smaller venue, so i'll check out the ones you posted! Thanks! BTW, here's the single from Jewels' mixtape...

Get in contact with The Catalyst here in Santa Cruz. They host tons of hip hop acts.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Get in contact with The Catalyst here in Santa Cruz. They host tons of hip hop acts.
    How is the Catalyst though? i've heard good things from people about it but not very good things from the board...i will get in touch with them though, thanks

and what is the Atrium...depending on capacity i think i could fill out a lineup around the tour that could pack a 200 something capacity venue...

The CATALYST is the big concert room/hall. Theres a small balcony I believe. The Atrium at the Catalyst, is what they do with the mexican food resturant after dinner hours. Bands play and stuff, like small bands on their first gigs kinda thing I think.

also the Rock-it Room in SF is starting to book more hip hop stuff. check out http://vivalahiphop.com and http://www.trueskool.com for hip hop resources in the bay area.
    Last edited by BigBryan; 05-25-2010 at 10:06 PM.

The CATALYST is the big concert room/hall. Theres a small balcony I believe. The Atrium at the Catalyst, is what they do with the mexican food resturant after dinner hours. Bands play and stuff, like small bands on their first gigs kinda thing I think.

also the Rock-it Room in SF is starting to book more hip hop stuff. check out http://vivalahiphop.com and http://www.trueskool.com for hip hop resources in the bay area.
    THANK YOU! that definitely helps

I don't know why but, as a DJ, I absolutely detest it when a promoter refers to me as "their artist". I actually went off on a promoter when he was telling someone that I was "his artist". I told him that no one owns me. Promoters are a funny breed to me.
    No one cares what shows you've seen, are currently seeing or are going to see!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Changoloco View Post
    I don't know why but, as a DJ, I absolutely detest it when a promoter refers to me as "their artist". I actually went off on a promoter when he was telling someone that I was "his artist". I told him that no one owns me. Promoters are a funny breed to me.
    fuck off. i manage this guy. he is my artist.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Haha seriously way to be touchy about minor bullshit Chango. If you were my artist I'd drop you.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Haha seriously way to be touchy about minor bullshit Chango. If you were my artist I'd drop you.
    In the new era of independent music, artists don't need a promoter. I would never, ever sign an exclusive contract with a promoter. Most promoters are douchebags that had dreams of performing but couldn't bring those dreams to life. So they settle for vicariously living through another artist.
    No one cares what shows you've seen, are currently seeing or are going to see!!!!!

In the new era of independent music, artists don't need a promoter. I would never, ever sign an exclusive contract with a promoter. Most promoters are douchebags that had dreams of performing but couldn't bring those dreams to life. So they settle for vicariously living through another artist.
    like i said before. I MANAGE this guy. I MANAGE a band. I MANAGE a DJ. I managed artists before i started promoting, and it just so happens that promoting has been successful so i'm now doing both.

It's funny though that a DJ is saying all this though, without promoters how would you make money? You of all people should know promoters are necessary.

Lightbulb Re: Hip-Hop Venues

space 120 in palms springs
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    like i said before. I MANAGE this guy. I MANAGE a band. I MANAGE a DJ. I managed artists before i started promoting, and it just so happens that promoting has been successful so i'm now doing both.

It's funny though that a DJ is saying all this though, without promoters how would you make money? You of all people should know promoters are necessary.
    I make money because I promote myself. I get my gigs, flyer them and then I perform. Is that hard to understand? I'm not in this business to make a ton of money. I do it because of my live of the music. That is definitively what seperates performers from promoters. We do it for love, you do it for money.

We do it for love, you do it for money.
    sooooo then you have a $0 booking fee?

I make money because I promote myself. I get my gigs, flyer them and then I perform. Is that hard to understand? I'm not in this business to make a ton of money. I do it because of my live of the music. That is definitively what seperates performers from promoters. We do it for love, you do it for money.
    once again. you don't know my situation so shut the fuck up. i booked a show last month that had NO CHANCE at breaking even simply because the venue x ticket price didn't allow to it. i kept the show at $5 for the fans, when in reality it was a $15 show. i lost A LOT of money that night. and so let me get this straight, you rent out every venue you play in? because you make it seem as if you have never played for a promoter.

I do not make a lot of money off of DJ'ing as it is not my primary means of making money. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to put into it anymore.