Page 664 of 765 FirstFirst ... 659660661662663664665666667668669 ... LastLast
Results 19,891 to 19,920 of 22939

Thread: The Default Thread

Default Re: The Default Thread

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    When my husband's parents got divorced, he just impregnated and married me. He didn't blow up a bunch of runners.
    ... I think if given the choice, I'd have an easier time living with myself known as a bomber.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Hey people.. im gonna spam a few threads asking if you'll take our (goldenvoice) short concert related survey. Thanks so much!
    IT'S ONLY 7 QUESTIONS CLICK HERE
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Done. #1 was a problem due to living in a fly over state.
    Also, reported as spam.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Really? Come on, man. They focused on his radicalization because he was very close to what we consider a "typical American teenager." School, sports, girls, social media, cars, smoking dope. Obviously his brother's adoption of radical Islamic beliefs was the catalyst, but Jahar seems to have been much more immersed and tuned into American culture than his brother ever was or could be. Watching & understanding how that transition occurred is of far more value than is examining a line of what-ifs about his brother or his parents. We know how he became radicalized (his brother), this is an examination of how it actually transpired.

And they used that specific photo for the reasons Drinkey mentioned above.
    But what's so interesting about his radicalization if it doesn't happen independently of his brother's, and in fact, was likely a product of it?

The article doesn't even talk that much about Jahar's radicalization.

It talks about an older brothers status in their culture, about Jahar missing his father and his mother leaving the country, and some personal problems like failing grades and debt...and how many of his school friends (other than I think, a Muslim one) didn't go to his house or know much about his family (other than stories of Tamerlan).

The "jihadification" part of the article is mainly about his brother...and in that part, it seems pretty lacking...it doesn't talk that much about Tamerlan's 2012 trip, which others have pointed to as a significant part of his radicalization:

"Tamerlan's journey the past two years is far easier to trace. Though no more Chechen than his brother, Tamerlan was also – as his resident green card reminded him – not really an American. Islam, or Tamerlan's interpretation of it, had become his identity. He devoured books on Chechnya's separatist struggle, a war that had taken on a notably fundamentalist tone since the late 1990s, thanks to a surge of Muslim fighters from outside of the Caucusus who flocked to Chechnya to wage "holy war" against the Russians. It is not uncommon for young Chechen men to romanticize jihad, and for those who are interested in that kind of thing, there are abundant Chechen jihadist videos online that reinforce this view. They tend to feature Caucasian fighters who, far from the lecturing sheikhs often found in Al Qaeda recruitment videos, look like grizzled Navy SEALs, humping through the woods in camouflage and bandannas. Tamerlan would later post several of these videos on his YouTube page, as well as "The Emergence of Prophecy: The Black Flags from Khorasan," a central part of Al Qaeda and other jihadist mythology, which depicts fierce, supposedly end-times battles against the infidels across a region that includes parts of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iran.

But Brian Glyn Williams, a professor of Islamic studies at UMass Dartmouth and an expert on terrorism and the politics of Chechnya, believes that Tamerlan's journey – which he calls "jihadification" – was less a young man's quest to join Al Qaeda than to discover his own identity. "To me, this is classic diasporic reconstruction of identity: 'I'm a Chechen, and we're fighting for jihad, and what am I doing? Nothing.' It's not unlike the way some Irish-Americans used to link Ireland and the IRA – they'd never been to Northern Ireland in their lives, but you'd go to certain parts of Southie in Boston, and all you see are donation cans for the IRA."

For Jahar, identity likely played into the mix as well, says Williams, who, though he never met Jahar at UMass Dartmouth, coincidentally corresponded with him during his senior year of high school. One of Williams' friends taught English at Rindge, and "he told me he had this Chechen kid in his class who wanted to do his research paper on Chechnya, a country he'd never lived in." Williams agreed to help Jahar. "The thing that struck me was how little he actually knew," he says. "He didn't know anything about Chechnya, and he wanted to know everything."

Whether Jahar gained much from his studies – or even did much of it – is unknown. Tamerlan, having devoured all the books he could find, was preparing to take the next step. In January 2012, he traveled to Dagestan, where he spent six months. Dagestan has been embroiled in a years-long civil war between Muslim guerrillas and the (also Muslim) police, as well as Russian forces. Bombs go off in the streets regularly, and young men, lured by the romance of the fight, often disappear to "go to the forest," a euphemism for joining the insurgency. Tamerlan, too, seemed to have wanted to join the rebellion, but he was dissuaded from this pursuit by, among others, a distant cousin named Magomed Kartashov, who also happened to be a Dagestani Islamist. Kartashov's Western cousin, who came to Dagestan dressed in fancy American clothes and bragging of being a champion boxer, had no place in their country's civil war, he told Tamerlan. It was an internal struggle – in an interview with TIME magazine, associates of Kartashov's referred to it as "banditry" – and had only resulted in Muslims killing other Muslims. Kartashov urged Tamerlan to embrace nonviolence and forget about Dagestan's troubles. By early summer, Tamerlan was talking about holy war "in a global context," one Dagestani Islamist recalls.

In July 2012, Tamerlan returned to Cambridge. He grew a five-inch beard and began to get in vocal debates about the virtues of Islam. He vociferously criticized U.S. policy in the Middle East. Twice over the next six or eight months, he upset services at a local mosque with a denunciation of Thanksgiving, and also, in January 2013, of Martin Luther King Jr."
    Last edited by Listening; 07-18-2013 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    When my husband's parents got divorced, he just impregnated and married me. He didn't blow up a bunch of runners.
    But haven't we established that he was pretty much a pussy?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

And Listening, there's some fairly decent study into what leads someone who's already considered a loner, odd, violent, prone to outbursts and extremism to commit acts of violence/terrorism/other stuff. Jahar is the dark horse in this story and that's why it's more interesting to focus on him. Focusing on him also shows how family can be as destructive as it can be redemptive, and how the loss of a central family figure can cause issues with a child needing identity and guidance, and how that can lead to crime and bad decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And Listening, there's some fairly decent study into what leads someone who's already considered a loner, odd, violent, prone to outbursts and extremism to commit acts of violence/terrorism/other stuff. Jahar is the dark horse in this story and that's why it's more interesting to focus on him. Focusing on him also shows how family can be as destructive as it can be redemptive, and how the loss of a central family figure can cause issues with a child needing identity and guidance, and how that can lead to crime and bad decision making.
    Was he a dark horse, or was he just an impressionable young person who feared and "idolized his older brother, Tamerlan" who just happened to be radicalized jihadist?

-"All I know is Jahar was really wary of coming home high because of how his brother would react. He'd get really angry," says Will. "He was a really intense dude."

"And if you weren't Muslim, he was even more intense," says Sam, who notes that he never met Tamerlan in person, though he heard stories about him all the time from Jahar. "I was fascinated – this dude's, like, six-three, he's a boxer – I wanted to meet him," says Sam. "But Jahar was like, 'No, you don't want to meet him.'"

And the loss of the central family figure, it's suggested, was because of Tamerlan's "religiosity" (influenced by Mikhail Allakhverdov, a person he met at a mosuqe, and perhaps pushed by his mother, who could/would not deal directly with other problems that he had).

You know, you're quoting the article an awful lot. Seems like it was effective in educating you about a person who you didn't know as much about beforehand.

And yes, he was still a dark horse, because an outsider who had none of this knowledge before the article just thought, "Hey, this young good looking, well adjusted dude would do this? All I've heard is he's into getting high and wrestling, what's up bro?"

For a listener, you do a LOT of talking.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    Hey people.. im gonna spam a few threads asking if you'll take our (goldenvoice) short concert related survey. Thanks so much!
    IT'S ONLY 7 QUESTIONS CLICK HERE
    I tried to answer this, but given that I do not attend Goldenvoice concerts, there were several questions I could not answer (#1, 2, 6, 7)!

coachella is a goldenvoice concert
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    You know, you're quoting the article an awful lot. Seems like it was effective in educating you about a person who you didn't know as much about beforehand.

And yes, he was still a dark horse, because an outsider who had none of this knowledge before the article just thought, "Hey, this young good looking, well adjusted dude would do this? All I've heard is he's into getting high and wrestling, what's up bro?"
    I'm quoting it because it's being discussed and I like to be specific when I make references.

Much of what's in it isn't new, some of these interviews have already been done by other publications.

But there was some new information, especially an "outsider" who hasn't read much about these two prior...although I don't know that much of that new information goes to answering the "why?"

The why is answered by Tamerlan, and there's more written about him elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    For a listener, you do a LOT of talking.
    Well played.

You can sit back and relax after that one.

I'm good at that.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I'm good at that.
    At trying to make obvious jokes?

Noted.

You're terrible at shutting the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    You're terrible at shutting the fuck up.
    And yet I haven't opened my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Listening View Post
    At trying to make obvious jokes?

Noted.
    YES! I'M THE BEST.

And yet I haven't opened my mouth.
    Lies. I bet you're breathing through your mouth right now.
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

Lies. I bet you're breathing through your mouth right now.
    Is "right now" when you wrote it or when I read it?

I answered but not much help. If it were an AEG quiz, I would have been more helpful. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

VigoTheCarpathian

The reason this guy did this fucked up thing isn't because of jihadification or his abuse aunt or dead pooch. this is all bullshit. As you can observe, this video here is only the expression of a mad person and proflific pussy lickers. This is what was dancing around his mind all day long. If we allow this kind of barbaric style of Lezginka to be danced any further, the Chechens are going to be motherfucking Russians and the rest of us for another 20 years.

Except for the back flip, this is how I'm dancing through the whole DP set next year.

DP.
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

Now we can discuss if the cop should have released the pics that are the hot debate today. It never ends eh ...cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    coachella is a goldenvoice concert
    Under "how many GV concerts do you attend each month", 1/12th was not an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Is "right now" when you wrote it or when I read it?
    Probably all of the time.
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

Probably all of the time.
    Haven't mastered that breathing through the nose technique yet?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me