Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Default Re: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

if i donate $200, will you make Child Rape an official sponsor?
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

"A band or musical artist of your choosing, including yourself if desired, will be added to the lineup for Woodystock 2012."

If I give you $100 and choose Brian Eno, what happens then?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Duly noted suggestions, wording changes imminent.

Here's the current timetable...

Today: Deadline to reserve venue w/ deposit ($250). Someone else is interested so I have until 5pm.

May 18: (9 days) Last day to launch a 30-day Kickstarter to raise $500.

June 18: Last day to cancel the venue reservation and get my full deposit back. Also the deadline for reaching my funding goals.

I have some doubts that the deposit is really refundable all the way until then, but we'll see if she keeps her word.

uh, get it in writing? if you wanna start doing this you better start doing it right.

I haven't signed anything yet so if I do I'll make sure to confirm that in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    My idea is this: every band that brings 30 people or more will receive a $100.
    I would say do your research on bands and check out their social network fanbase, if they seem like they would get people to come, offer them pay, if they don't then offer them incentive to bring people.

And have you set a date yet?

$100 seems like a very low threshold for a band to perform. I'd say more like $300+.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Dude didn't even answer my question. he's gonna fuck this up big time.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    $100 seems like a very low threshold for a band to perform. I'd say more like $300+.
    Lots of local bands do pay-to-play and sell tickets and get nothing for it, so $100 isn't too shabby for no-name bands that want people to see them
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Lots of local bands do pay-to-play and sell tickets and get nothing for it, so $100 isn't too shabby for no-name bands that want people to see them
    I have to say though, if I knew I had 30 people coming to my show for SURE, I'd probably work out something with a venue. Plus this is a "festival" so people would pay more than 10-15/per head.

I just think the barrier to entry needs to be higher, $100 doesn't seem like a deterrent to keep away any joe band from playing. Unless that's the hope. Shit, for $100 I'll grab my turntables and play a Hall and Oates breakbeat mashup set.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I'll donate $25 and buy a ticket to your festival to see insbordnat throw down.

I hope you look like Mr Oizo IRL

Are you aware that another American music festival called Woodystock already exists and is a registered trademark of the Woody Naifeh Scholarship Fund? I doubt that they'd care, but you are infringing on their trademark.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Whoa thanks for the feedback/discussion guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    I would say do your research on bands and check out their social network fanbase, if they seem like they would get people to come, offer them pay, if they don't then offer them incentive to bring people.
    So offer the "higher tier" bands a flat guarantee? I think they CAN bring people, but the question is whether they will actually promote it on their end. (I don't think the bands really did last time.) Thus the incentive/bonus idea.

Maybe I'll bump the "bonus" to $300, but only offer it to the "higher-tier" bands. Maybe offer a lower-level bonus ($100?) if they bring at least 20 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    2 or 3 of these "higher-tier" bands w/ local blog buzz and music award wins or nods....pretty sure they were playing for free when I saw them a couple weeks ago.

I have to say though, if I knew I had 30 people coming to my show for SURE, I'd probably work out something with a venue. Plus this is a "festival" so people would pay more than 10-15/per head.
    I need some clarification here. So if your band was pulling 30 people+ regularly, you'd just stick to established venues...ok makes sense. What does the last sentence mean? FYI pretty sure I'm charging $10 at the door.

I just think the barrier to entry needs to be higher, $100 doesn't seem like a deterrent to keep away any joe band from playing. Unless that's the hope. Shit, for $100 I'll grab my turntables and play a Hall and Oates breakbeat mashup set.
    There's no barrier to entry. The bonus is for bringing 30 or more people. Also I'm not posting Craigslist ads or anything. I have a shortlist of bands I'm contacting. (I am looking for some kind of EDM/dance act FYI in case you weren't 100% joking.)

And have you set a date yet?
    Sunday August 19. (Saturdays were already booked way back in January.)

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Are you aware that another American music festival called Woodystock already exists and is a registered trademark of the Woody Naifeh Scholarship Fund? I doubt that they'd care, but you are infringing on their trademark.
    Yeah...I looked into this when I did it the first time. Looks like there are or have been several Woodystocks around the country. I don't anticipate any problems seeing as it's billed as an Orange County event and the chances of it conflicting with other Woodystocks are microscopically tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Dude didn't even answer my question. he's gonna fuck this up big time.
    Yes he did:

"A band or musical artist of your choosing, including yourself if desired, will be added to the lineup for Woodystock 2012."

If I give you $100 and choose Brian Eno, what happens then?
    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Duly noted suggestions, wording changes imminent.
    It looks like either you skipped the parenthetical to make a joke or uclarocker has already made the change, adding this:

(Subject to approval, i.e. abrasive deathgrind might not work...send a message if unsure!)
    I mean, it doesn't explicitly say "Brian Eno may ignore me, etc" but, hey.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

The parenthetical did not appear relevant to my point. His focus was clearly on limiting the lineup to appropriate genres.

I stand by my statement.

Fixed: "Your band will be added to the lineup for Woodystock 2012. Alternatively we can reach out to a band of your choosing, preferably local. (Subject to approval, i.e. abrasive deathgrind might not work...send a message first!)"

I still have some unanswered questions above if anyone can take a look!

I NEED to launch this Kickstarter by this weekend.

IMO:

Show a budget where this $500 will go, or $1000 if you were to meet that. Since its just about the end of school for most folks in the area, hit up local colleges and post info at local young hang out areas and post in social groups. I feel if you were to do that you could actually go somewhere with this. Right now the kickstarter page doesn't really tell us anything other than keeping Woodystock alive. Sounds like some sort of Armenian get rich quick scheme.

"Bro, listen, I'll get like any band, just give me some money, bro."
    "Uhh....so if I give you $250, you could get a Thom Yorke set?"
    "Bro, lemme tell you something, I know Thom personally, and he owes me a favor, I totally hooked it up for him at Platinum Motor Sports"
    "Well...."
    "Bro, listen, even if I don't get Thom York, you gonna have fun bro, and the bitches, man. So many, and they are going to want do this instead of Coachella, Orange County is much nicer than the desert..."

So assure us you're not a shady Armenian and show where that money would go.
    Do you need money for:

1) Rental of space
    2) Utilities and alcohol permits
    3) Providing catering for performers (you're not going to charge bands money for water are you?
    4) Promotion - Flyers, posters, paying some people to actually distribute your stuff instead of just throwing it away. Easy waste of money right there. I suggest you do it on your own locally and strategically.
    5) Paying the crowd drawing bands
    6) Rental for parking
    7) Paying for law enforcement, emt and fire department presence.
    8) Fencing
    9) Employees
    10) Turkey Legs *you must have these and churros*

There's probably a lot more that can be added, but you get the idea. The more you make the folks aware of what your budget is for, they will understand why you need X amount of dollars.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

11) Porta potties
    12) Stage rental
    13) LSD fountains
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Great points Mugwog, I'm going to add a budget breakdown to the project description by tomorrow hopefully. My band's making me track drums this weekend but we made good progress yesterday so we might finish today.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-rock-festival

So we just passed our goal threshold this morning. (Small yay.) As mentioned above I'd love to see this thing hit $1000 or more in the week or so remaining, although that isn't likely which is why I'm scrambling like a madman to hit up local businesses for sponsorships. Still, any pledges you can make would be greatly appreciated, rewards blah blah. Per the suggestions I added a basic budget breakdown. The money would go towards the venue first, then talent/bookings...finally anything else would go to sound, flyers, etc.

I have until Saturday night to reach $1,000 in funding. I'm sure I've mentioned this but Coachella is obviously a major inspiration for putting this on so if you can dig that consider pitching in $10 or $20 and getting free admission.

Good for you, I admire anyone that has a goal and makes moves to follow through with it. If I have any money left after Chase is done raping my bank account this week (long story), I will gladly donate.

Cool thanks! Since I don't appear to have posted the Kickstarter video yet...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-rock-festival 4 DAYS

63 hours to go...please consider supporting a local project inspired by Coachella. It would be nice to reach $1,000 in funding. Also if you have or know any local businesses interested in sponsorship let me know.

In other news I think I've arranged for a food truck to be there. Booking-wise there are some bands that I really want to be there...hopefully some of them (friends) will play pro bono like the last event. Probably the two top bands I'm looking at may want to charge as much as $400 apiece...this is why I want/need a few sponsors to cover these costs. And I don't want to book them without feeling confident I can afford it first. As usual it's a complicated scenario.
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I probably won't make it to the fest but I kicked in some cash. Best of luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House