Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Default Re: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

nobody smiling due to bad breath and strands of beef in between their teeth. Or celebrate it. A guy I drove to Vegas with once sure did.

Where they do the 'Strawberry Festival' in Garden Grove may be good locale (think it's held on Euclid street). Pretty spacious. Let me know and I'll go.

ive always wanted to do something like this down where i live. As far as concerts and stuff, the music scene is really lame, but theres enough local bands, many of whom I have some type of contact with, that I bet could get to play it. Have no clue for a venue here though.

But good luck.

Again thanks for the venue recommendations but I already have a site. Also the site WILL be providing food & drink so beef jerky will be something extra.

I'm starting to realize I might want to have some fans or shit to combat the heat. Anyone know where I can RENT a bunch of large fans to place around the site? Misters would probably be too expen$ive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Make sure he has a retail license though, because getting fucked by the cops/city for having a dude selling beef jerky at your event would be pretty dumb.
    He's doing it legit so he should have a retail license. I'll ask. Do artists/bands need retail licenses to sell their wares though?!? Crucial question since I'm considering getting some artists to make it more festival-ish.

I'm thinking of handling presale tickets by setting up a PayPal account for the festival. Send five bucks and your name is added to the list. ID'd at the door. Sound alright?

Booking the site this afternoon. Started work on the poster yesterday.

Yesterday I learned that while the site has had music outdoors in the past, they don't actually have an outdoor sound permit. This is turning into a big concern because the last thing I need is the police shutting down the festival. A couple weeks ago when I asked all the important questions, they said the noise shouldn't be a problem and that the cops have come in the past to deliver a warning but apparently that hasn't ground things to a halt.

At the time I asked if I should look into a city noise permit and they said it wouldn't hurt. I talked a bit with the city and while they said I should be fine without a permit, I still feel uneasy since they said they do get calls about noise. Of course I downplayed the nature of the event (i.e. nowhere did I drop the word "festival") and the type of music ("no loud rock" which is only partially true - no metal/punk). She also said that rap would be an issue which concerns me because I do have a hip hop act on the lineup.

I'm curious about pursuing a special events permit but my dad advised me not to alert the city of my plans lest they try to nip it in the bud altogether. Basically I either wing it, or risk going through the city.

WING IT.....!!!

i just read through this, ive been wanting to throw an event in Orange County for quite some time. Ive been thinking about Huntington Beach Park. But honestly w/ out an investor its pointless....

Backyard or warehouse events are the way to go....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

$400 will buy me 2 weeks of ad time in OC Weekly. The first week will run in the "west zone" (coastal cities incl. long beach apparently), the second week (3 days before the event) will run in the north/east zone (inland/north oc cities). the ad will be 5x8 and black and white. it will look like this the image above with the addition of Parker Macy Blues, Caffeine Rush barbershop quartet and possibly the pop/hawaiian Laura Mulderrig with Aloha Radio. Trying to find out what page/section it would be in.

Is this worth my while, or a waste of money? :-$

Probably a waste of money.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

It might be worthwhile. Hav eyou been flyering on your own? You should flyer every day. Go to coffee shops and flyer, put flyers up around college campuses (There are still people there for summer classes probably), find a show every single night and get out there right when the bands are ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Decided against it. It would have to draw 80 people on its own to pay for itself...seems unlikely. Plus seeing as I'm doing this almost entirely DIY without any sound permits or anything, and I'm worried about it being shut down, I was advised not to advertise in a major local publication where it may be more readily noticed by city/government officials. I'm not sure how I feel about that last one anymore...but I definitely don't think the ads would draw 80 people.

Thanks for all the help I've received here. This is 10 days away...we'll see how it goes down.

This Sunday's the big day...thanks again for all the advice & support. Hope a few of you can make it out and support a DIY Coachella-inspired fest.

I hope when Vampire Weekend meets Bob Dylan, Bob knocks the crap out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I hope when Vampire Weekend meets Bob Dylan, Bob knocks the crap out of them.
    hahah ^^^^^too funny...what happened to this? did it actually happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

How did this come back from the dead? I just read the whole thing and am interested in the outcome as well
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

http://www.facebook.com/woodystockrocks

Looks like he is doing a 2012 version.

Here's a review of the 2010 one.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Omg will there be dual woodys?

Edit: The Tet Holiday must headline Woodystock 2012.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Skip to 1:08 for his band

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    kvnty offered me 2 fists for one companion parking pass

^ lol you guys. yeah that band is not really together anymore in that form.

I do plan on reviving Woodystock for 2012. I would like to bill it as "The Last Great Rock Festival". (Even if there are some major festivals later in the year, I don't give a fuck.) I e-mailed the same venue, hoping to book it for a Saturday in August this year, but apparently they're all booked. I'm surprised considering how much earlier I started on this; maybe Saturdays are reserved for Elks Lodge members. I've been slacking and need to call up and try for a Sunday again...it's going to be difficult to pull this off anywhere else.

I'm actually hoping they will let me do it again. It wasn't a disaster but they kinda cut it off a little earlier than I would have liked...the last band did not get the full hour set I planned for. There was some bullshit in the morning due to a big veterans event the night before and some of their leftover equipment...they didn't really take me seriously but some friends helped back me up and things were taken care of. Anyway the day was mostly successful (financially - thats another story) aside from the lead guitar player from my former band having sex with a groupie in the bathroom and the cook walking in on them. That was not appreciated and may hurt my chances with this venue again. Whatevs. We'll see.

I also want to bill this as "Better than the Playground Festival!!" if anyone remembers that from last year, ha. And there's another marketing trick up my sleeve I don't want to reveal quite yet because I'm not sure I can pull it off/arrange it. But if I could it would be hilarious.

Can I make a chart about how many bands will play good songs?

LOL SURE, U ALREADY HAVE IT RIGHT? IT'S JUST A BIG "ZERO" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post

I'm actually hoping they will let me do it again. It wasn't a disaster but they kinda cut it off a little earlier than I would have liked...the last band did not get the full hour set I planned for. There was some bullshit in the morning due to a big veterans event the night before and some of their leftover equipment...they didn't really take me seriously but some friends helped back me up and things were taken care of. Anyway the day was mostly successful (financially - thats another story) aside from the lead guitar player from my former band having sex with a groupie in the bathroom and the cook walking in on them. That was not appreciated and may hurt my chances with this venue again. Whatevs. We'll see.
    Rock and roll, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

I need to find out when the Pacific Festival is going to be. No conflicts.

I really need to get going on this. I started updating the poster last night, or rather creating this year's template.

I need to book the venue before someone else books it, only concern is once I put down the deposit I can only get 50% back with 60 days cancellation.

There's completely new staff there and it feels like a good thing for the most part, but the rates are higher and they're charging me tax & service fee on EVERYTHING, when last time it was just on food, etc.

I may have to just go and book this today. Fuck.

There's three fairly big local bands that I would like on the lineup. One of them played acoustic last time, but I want a full electric set this time. None of the bands got paid last time. I would like to change that, but I also can't afford to lose even more money this time by paying them all a guaranteed amount. My idea is this: every band that brings 30 people or more will receive a $100.

What do you think? Is 30 people too high? Is $100 too much? Should I have a mid-level incentive like $40 for 15 people? Feedback.

I'm heading to the venue in half an hour. I'm somewhat paranoid the date will get booked if I don't claim it soon. However I've only just started talking to bands, and once I put down a deposit I can only get 50% back if I cancel within like 2 months. If I leave that place for the 2nd or 3rd time without actually booking something I'm going to feel like a real doofus.

Didn't book anything just yet. She's sort of holding the date for me which is cool I guess.

The rental is basically $1500, not including food. (I'm hoping to arrange for a food truck or two to be present...any cheap OC recommendations?) The cost of the rental increased more than 2/3 since the first time ($900 incl. food). Seeing as I already lost a few hundred on the last one, I'm definitely raising the door price to at least $10.

A significant reason for the price increase is that the venue now calculates tax & service charge on the entire reservation. This does not appear to be standard practice - last time they were only calculated on food, and I called some "competitors" in the area and they also calculate it on food only. I don't think I'm going to be able to do anything about this.

The good news is the deposit is only $250 and I can cancel with full refund up to 60 days prior. This would give me enough time to run a 30-day Kickstarter to hopefully cover the price increase. If the Kickstarter fails, I'll cancel the festival. After 60 days it's a 50% refund.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Kickstarter but basically it's an online fundraising tool for creative projects. There's a goal to reach, and no one pays anything unless that's met. There are rewards at different pledge levels. I worked on mine a bit last night, here's what I have so far:

Woodystock 2012 - Save the Last Great Rock Festival
    Help Woodystock, Orange County's most ambitiously DIY outdoor music & arts festival, cover increased costs and return for an epic 2012!
    Funding goal: $500 (I would receive like $450 after fees)
    Funding duration: I'll probably run it for 30 days which is their recommendation due to the sense of urgency it creates, though you can do up to 60 days.

Rewards
    PLEDGE $10 OR MORE
    Complimentary admission to the festival. (Included with all higher-level rewards!) If you can't be there, we'll mail you a souvenir wristband or e-mail you a high-quality photo of one.

PLEDGE $20 OR MORE
    Your name will be included in a list of donors to be read live at the festival, plus complimentary admission to the festival.

PLEDGE $35 OR MORE
    Complimentary Woodystock 2012 T-Shirt. Your name will also be included in a list of donors to be read live at the festival, and you will receive complimentary admission to the festival. If you can't be there, we will mail your shirt & souvenir wristband to you.

PLEDGE $50 OR MORE
    Personalized DVD of Woodystock 2012 footage delivered to you by the end of September. Plus complimentary Woodystock 2012 T-Shirt, your name on a list of donors read live at the festival, and of course admission to the festival.

PLEDGE $75 OR MORE
    A picture or photo of your choosing, representing yourself, will be blown up poster size and displayed at the festival as an Esteemed Donor. You may take the poster home with you afterwards. Also: everything else listed above.

I would like to have a $100-level reward but I can't think of anything yet.