Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Default Re: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

if you want free promotions contact KXLU and see if you can do an on air spot or have a band do a live radio gig. they're usually pretty fine with such things.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

If you're only planning on 10-20 people per act, why are you honestly doing this? (Better yet, why are you spending money?)

Find someone with a house that can accommodate people in the backyard. You'll be OK. Stages will cost you thousands of dollars, dude, not to mention sound techs, security, etc.

Now, if you were planning something where you were expecting 300+ people to stay throughout the day, I could be of more help. This isn't a festival --- this is a house party. Build yourself a riser stage and you'll be OK.

RE: FYF Fest/Sean Carlson --- the first FYF fest had like, 700 people. He may have lost money, but he had people INTERESTED in the music. This bro sounds like he's having shit bands no one knows/cares about in a city no one is going to drive to. This is baby stuff.

Sorry to be harsh, but...

Kitt Kat you're missing the point of the thread. The guy is doing it because he wants to. Because it's fun and rewarding, not because he wants people to come. Great for him. I wish there were more people like him in the promotion business. But he's still asking for help and suggestions on going about making it happen.

And with that said I think paying for a staging company is a bit much. But maybe that's just my opinion. Three foot stage is way fuckin too high. Just get a 12 inch riser. 7-piece band is pretty big, for sure, but they won't need too much space I'd think (ask them?) Then again if you say both this and the Elk Lodge are "affordable" then nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Forget the stages and invest that money into kegs. That'll get people in the door.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Going with my playing on the floor suggestion, though, you could have one stage be an actual "stage" and the other stage simply be an area where bands play on the ground. Then the bands more suited to playing a stage could play the actual stage, and the bands more suited to playing floors would play the second stage, and alternate between the two.

But really, you have to think, with 10-20 people watching, would you really want to put your band couple feet up off the ground? The hell does that do?

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Forget the stages and invest that money into kegs. That'll get people in the door.
    And this...

I have been to many shows in people's backyards where there were well over 100 people. Since you're not even expecting to go past dusk, i don't understand why you don't just do this. Save a lot of money and have more money to invest into things that will entice people to come.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I've been taking a lot of these suggestions into consideration. Originally I planned it to be mostly friends' acts - I have a penchant for doing ridiculous, over-the-top shit - but yeah it would be a waste to do all this for just a handful of people likely. So I'm going to try and book some legit local bands for the latter part of the lineup. I don't think a backyard is an option. I need to book this place soon but I also want to make sure I have enough acts to warrant it. It's a double-edged sword.

I figure 10 acts is realistic if I have two performance areas switching off.
    1:00-1:30 Act 1
    1:35-2:05 Act 2
    2:10-2:40 Act 3
    2:45-3:15 Act 4
    3:20-3:50 Act 5
    3:55-4:25 Act 6
    4:30-5:00 Act 7
    5:05-5:35 Act 8
    5:40-6:10 Act 9
    6:15-7:00 Act 10
    This gives me an hour of leeway before sundown because I KNOW shit will go wrong and there will be delays.

nvrmnd didn't notice you had 2 areas switching off. i just saw the 5 minutes change over and my heart skipped a beat.
    Last edited by reverb; 05-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    ))<>((

considering an alternate site. a city park that has a bandstand. the rental would be $175 if my friend does it. that's significantly less, and it has a stage.

downsides:
    - no booze
    - sounds pretty rigid 12pm-5pm rental
    - no tickets/donations/money exchange (no fence to contain patrons anyway..its a park)

however it seems like it could be a lot *simpler* (and cheaper), and if it goes well i could do the elks lodge next year...

thoughts??

so i'm almost definitely going with the elks lodge park. i've been in contact with a few local bands in addition to my friends' acts. so it has a little more legitimacy now.

i really need to nail down a date though. either 6/27, 7/18 or 7/25 (all sundays). i really want my band to play but that can only happen on the 1st date. there don't seem to be any other conflicts thus far on that date. 6/27 is 5 weeks away. is this doable? feedback plz.

There were some interesting pieces of advice in here...i'm working on something for SD next summer, with a smaller preview of it coming this year...Earlier this year i didn't think it'd be possible but after the two shows i did and the connections i've been making, i'm gonna make this work...

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

I may be postponing this until September, maybe the first weekend in October...

My biggest concern right now would be weather. I'd hope it wouldn't rain.

I know there are certain "electronic music festival" promoters that got their start by throwing small parties and selling drugs at them.... give it a shot.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

there will be no selling of drugs...besides alcohol...at my event.

HORSE the Band as a headliner...thoughts? lol

That'd be fun, I'm not sure how great it'd be, but HORSE the Band is always fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I love Horse The Band.
    last.fm

My only concern, aside from talking them down in price a bit LOL, is they'd be the only "hard" band on the bill. They'd put on a great show but I'm a little worried about moshing and attracting the wrong crowd. Hmmm...

Horse are big enough that you would find yourself drawing a decent crowd just for their set too. Double-edged sword.
    last.fm

So HORSE will not be heading this. That's fine though. Halfway through talks with them I realized they would bring far more people than I'd want, most who probably wouldn't appreciate the mostly mellow music on the bill.

I'm having the site hold a date in August for me as I get availability confirmations from the "headliner" and the other acts.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Don't do it.
    LOL... Way to kill a dream! I admit he doesn't have a concrete plan, but you gotta give him a chance! Afterall, most festivals start like this...

If you still don't have a location and are looking to do it in a park, you need 6 months advance notice so you can file the paperwork. I work for Parks and Rec with special events out in the Inland Empire and there are so many things you have to do for any city to allow it. Special Events permit, paperwork filing, security, porta potties, city staff approval, city staff workers (to ensure there's no damage to facilities), payment of fees, $1,000,000 liability insurance, and the list just goes on. Good luck!
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

old school

Yup what eskamo said. You better get a move on it if your going to do it in a park. I threw a saturday afternoon fest in a park. It was nice that the park had a bandshell which had great acoustics. Your probably not going to find a bandshell ina park so instead look for a gazebo or something that can be utilized for a stage. You will have to secure the park through dept. of recreation. Charging to come in to a park is a tricky endeavor. Your going to have to file more paperwork with the city & they may not allow you to charge. Insurance could be a possible legality to look into also. You will probably not be allowed to have alcohol in park. Also look for Mason or Shriners halls. You can get those on the cheap sometime & you may be allowed to have alcohol in them. To anyody trying to throw a serious production who doesn't know how you better have alot of cash. Serious stage, audio, & lighting is costly. Any nationally known band is not going to play your park gazebo or elks lodge. Sound, lighting, & stage companies are out there but again it is very costly. You also have to take other cost factors into consideration like promotion,generators& labor to set it all up & tear it down. It is incredibly involved. I use to bitch about ticket prices but now that I see everything that goes into making a show (et alone a fest) appen I totally understand & sometime wonder how they make any money.

thanks guys. i actually already have a site. it's pretty sweet. i'm getting availability confirmations so i might just be booking it within a week or so. if this comes together you know im gonna promo the shit out of it here.

A guy I know is getting into the beef jerky market (lol) and offered to set up shop at this. Is it appropriate to ask him to contribute some money, like a hundred bucks, or should I just let him set up? I not businessman. YET

if he is going to be making money you have every right to request a little something...even if you get paid in beef jerky.

There's not really any point in letting him set up shop unless you're getting somehting out of it. You're putting money out of pocket for this event, and this guy is a sponsor, basically. Make sure he has a retail license though, because getting fucked by the cops/city for having a dude selling beef jerky at your event would be pretty dumb.
    last.fm

Let him set up shop but get like a 20 percent share of profits...

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    Let him set up shop but get like a 20 percent share of profits...
    Not a bad idea. If he's a friend and you feel bad about taking money up front, make a deal where you don't get anything unless he gets something.
    last.fm

Keep in mind what kind of mood your festival will set if the only vendor you have is selling beef jerky.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival