Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Default Seeking assistance in throwing micro-festival

EDIT: This is happening. See poster below.

---------------

Hey guys,

I'm trying to throw a very small music festival in north/central Orange County. Maybe some of you here could help me with some of the logistics, given the subject matter of this board....

I'm planning on 10-15 acts max, probably less. None of these acts are well-known so I can't imagine they'd draw more than 10-20 people each. I can't imagine more than 200 people showing up. I'm aiming for a Saturday in July. This is not a money-making venture at all; I'd even take a small loss. I'm not sure if I want to sell tickets or anything like that.

My two biggest headaches right now are location and staging. Where the hell can I hold such an event? I want it to be outdoors so I'm thinking a park or something. There's gonna be a lot of hurdles though - getting approval from the park ranger, permit, and anyone/anything else; power/generator issues; adequate parking/circumventing regular park admission fees; enclosing the festival area if i plan to sell tickets; setting up and tearing down all in one day, or else adequately securing the area overnight; adequate lighting if i plan to run after dark; and probably other things I haven't thought of.

Plus I'm going to need at least one if not two stages...I've been looking into mobile/trailer stages a little (and having a difficult time finding vendors) but the cost of two is almost definitely prohibitive. Just one stage, however, would greatly reduce the number of acts I could feature. I'd want a DJ spinning (preferably on some sort of platform/stage as well) while the next act sets up but I think that's going to be too many short DJ sets. With two stages I could give my DJs one decent set each. I could have one act setting up while the other performs.

Any counsel on the above, as well as any leads on local companies that rent small stages for cheap, would be much appreciated.

----------------------------------

Last edited by xuclarockerx; 04-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Default Re: Seeking assistance in throwing my own music festival.

Don't do it.

Here is a great doumentary that can help you out with most of these questions.

Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

I laughed.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

hahahah I agree it's being done partly tongue-in-cheek (I refuse to divulge the name of the festival at this point)

I tried to do this years ago when I was 17/18 but didn't get very far at all. I think I've already made more progress now.

1. Sponsors
    2. Overselling
    3. Beer Sales
    4. Tweenies
    5. YourFestivalNameHere.com/forum
    6. VIP
    7. An LLP or SCorp and some Insurance for when you get sued

lowfront

sounds like you should just do this in your backyard.

Have your porch as the stage

dj's can spin with a fold out table on the other side of the yard.

For food you can cook hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill.

People could volunteer 20min time for free entry...maybe rake some leaves?

Have you ever done a big event before? 3-4 local bands in one night is hard enough. If you haven't done at least this or been on a committee putting on a convention your chances of pulling this off and avoiding arrest, a fine, a lawsuit, or at the very least looking like a complete douche who gets blamed for any inconvience by everyone you hope to entertain, are very slim. Build your experience and have a track record of progressive planning and promotion to be taken seriously and have enough confidence in yourself that others think you can get it done.

I've done three mini-festivals in El Paso that had about 5 acts each on a market patio. They were called Music Under the Slab. It cost nothing, about 100 people passed through, and acts were given free ice cream from Marble Slab. They were big successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

xuclarockerxchella will be a mismanaged clusterfuck.

Good luck. I plan on one day throwing a bootleg festival....details will come some day...been planning it for like 6 years now. It's gonna happen one day.

re: backyard fest - lol noise complaintz

at least the music is going to be mostly pleasant (i.e. not abrasive/screamy)

seriously considering sponsorships for funding n shit. my dad would probably throw in some money. can't wait to say "remember, today's event is brought to you by (dad's company name), for all your healthcare reimbursement needs."

alcohol and insurance are two serious issues as well. pretty much gonna be a dry event if i throw it in a park.

::sigh:: my best bet is looking like the local American Legion Hall. $500 bux to rent, stage included, can serve alchy...but its indoors. boo.

...and loyal help. Don't spread yourself too thin. You'll need reliable people who you can leverage, especially the day of. There will be problems and you won't be able to handle them all. You'll need to empower your helpers to resolve things as they come up. If you try to do everything yourself, you are destined to fail.

You need to constantly ask yourself what's in it for everyone else (business relationships, local authorities, talent, volunteers, and patrons).

Oh, and 200 people sounds like you are underestimating.

I'm not familiar with locations in the areas you are mentioning, but may I suggest hosting it in a park within walking distance of a local business district or small retail street. That way you’ll get more foot traffic, can rely less on parking, and can more easily partner with the local businesses.

lowfront

Last edited by lowfront; 05-14-2010 at 08:29 AM.

Colt 45 is trying hard to become the new hipster PBR. Contact their promo department and see if they want to sponsor your event. You'll get a lot of free Colt 45 to give away.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I could see the crossover.

DO IT. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I guess "bootleg festival" would be a good way to describe it.

Uh no, "bootleg festival" is my idea/name, gotta get your own!

UCLArocker, you should look up Sean Carlson from FYF Fest. He started Fuck Yeah Fest in exactly this sort of way: he saw bands he liked and he decided to throw a festival without any idea about what he was doing. He lost tons of money starting it, but kept with it and this year they moved to a new venue and sold out in advance. He's also a super nice guy and would offer advice, and he'd know the specifics of logistical planning, and even companies in the OC that rent out stage gear and backline.

Edit: and by look up, I mean you should find an email for FYF Fest and try to contact Sean. He's always down to help people because he's a super nice guy.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Sean Carlson. Awesome. Thanks dawg. I've heard of FYF Fest.

There's been some quality posters in this thread.

If you get this off the ground and are looking for sound and light guys to bring it up a level, pm me and I'll put you in touch with friends that can help. Poor sound will kill the experience. Great lighting, well you know what it does for a show. Their resumes include The Faint, Bright Eyes, BRMC, REM, etc. Cool guys too.

Cool. That sounds out of my range but I'll keep it in mind. I plan on keeping the sound VERY basic. Lights...I may need some help with that esp. if I go past sundown. Which is not my realistic expectation at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by lowfront View Post
    sounds like you should just do this in your backyard.

Have your porch as the stage

dj's can spin with a fold out table on the other side of the yard.

For food you can cook hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill.

People could volunteer 20min time for free entry...maybe rake some leaves?
    I would go to this
    Hello my name is Johnny Polite and they are going to kill me...
    Concert Calendar:
    Burning Hotels 1.14 | The Kills 1.23 | Adam Ant 2.7 | Girls 3.9 | Dr. Dog 3.11 | Neon Indian 3.13 | Andrew Bird 3.15| Band of Skulls 3.17

twitter.com/thechris104
    youtube.com/thechris104
    granadatheater.com

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I plan on keeping the sound VERY basic.
    What does this mean?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

It wont sound as good as Roger Waters did in 2008, because thats complex.

My recommendation would be to find a park with facilities like a stage, restrooms, etc. something like Duke Island Park in Somerset County that already throws concerts in the park. I'm not familiar with Essex County enough to be more specific, but I'd look for local "Concerts in the Park" and check out their set up. Once you have a facility, encourage the bands to push the marketing themselves, and sell tickets for a percentage of what they sell. The only issue with this is you would likely need some sort of fencing to keep people out, and that could be an issue. Ask the promoters of other events held at the facility what it involved. Perhaps offer a nominal amount as a consulting fee. The key is to get some expertise from someone with experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

So I totally found a location for this that charges pretty reasonably. It's an Elks Lodge with a huge outdoor "park". Fenced, big parking lot, they can handle all the food & drink, etc. Now my biggest issue is a stage. I think I'm onto something here as well.

I was reading this thread about to give a detailed suggestion about why you should do it at someone's private home in the backyard, but looks like you have that covered already... and things looks way better now.

But dude. Fuck stages. Just worry about getting quality sound. If you're only going to have 20 people watching each band, they should play on the floor. I mean, in my humble opinion, bands should always play on the floor even when they have 200 people watching. But especially if they only have 20.

If playing on the floor is not preferrable, which I understand, I'd think it was pretty easy to come up with a 15x15' riser of some sort that just rises 12 inches off the ground? I say "I'd think" because I've never had to come up with one myself... but that wouldn't be hard to build, if you can't buy one (which you can.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Found an affordable staging company. Not sure whether to go for 16x12 or 24x12. 16 might be enough. The largest band is likely a 7 piece. It's going to be a very simple stage, no more than 3 feet high.

When I say "basic" sound I mean I will not mic amps or drums. The PA will be used for vocals, acoustic instruments, maybe keyboards.