Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 5-10-15-20

Default Re: 5-10-15-20

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post

I remember cycling (didn't have a car) to the record store the morning this came out. My roommates and I all sat around the stereo quietly listening to this for a while. They weren't sure what to make of it; I loved it.

Oooooooooo.. still a great underrated album !!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Maas View Post

"Rotten Apple" and "Nutshell" were pure oddities for me...I listened to nothing like this in high school, but when a friend played them in his car on the way to basketball practice one day, I fell in love. I didn't care for the band's discography too much at the time, and still don't, but this EP was a treasure for at least a year.
    a couple months i went back and listened to this. It STILL is amazing..
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I like the Pitchfork feature of the same name, and thought it could be interesting here. You go thru your life and try to discuss the music that was really important, influential or just plain memorable for you at each 5 year interval.

Bryan-24

My dad was a big music nut, and he used to listen to lots of college rock/early alternative rock. I know that we took our first family road trip as a full family when I was 5 (my little brother was 2 at time time, and I think we went to Arizona). I remember driving through the desert in the back seat and listening to this album as the desert went by. Whenever I hear Half A World Away I can picture that drive vividly. I don't remember a ton about being 5, but this album can connect me to a part of that.

We lived in Victorville for a long time, and there was an alternative rock station that my dad used to have on constantly. I know they played lots of crap, but they used to have really good stuff mixed in quite frequently. When I was 9, I asked for a clock radio for christmas, and of course I got it. I had my own room, and I used to listen to the radio as I went to sleep every night. At night they had a DJ who would play all sorts of slightly more obscure stuff. I know I heard Portishead, Massive Attack, Mr. Bungle, Helmet, Butthole Surfers, Sonic Youth and a bunch of other bands on there for the first time. I distinctively remember the DJ being very excited about getting the new Beck album. I knew him because of Loser, and the DJ played all of Odelay the night it came out. I wasn't a huge fan on first listen, but I remember my brother and I singing along to Where it's At as we drove down Bear Valley Road heading to get pizza after soccer games, and I know this was around quite a bit.

'01 was a big year for me. I finished my first year of high school, had my first girlfriend, and she broke up with me right in time for summer. My family was going on a trip to the Colorado River for our annual river trip, and I just did not want to be around anyone. I went to K-Mart and bought two CDs to listen to on the drive-Weezer Blue and Weezer Green. I never even put the green album in-the Blue album seemed so comforting to me. It was just geeky, kinda shy guys enjoying having fun with each other. I could get that from the cover. Also, late 2001 Michael Azzerrad put out Our Band Could Be Your Life. I had heard Fugazi because of The Argument, and was really getting into OC Skate Punk stuff, and I decided to pick it up. That book pretty much opened up my world musically.

I was at UCLA, and it was a big year. I had just switched from Biochemistry to History, I started to really build some great friendships, and I had a car, so I could really go to shows. I discovered lots of great music that year, but nothing remains so vivid as Ys. I remember getting the leak and deciding to listen to it based on a few rave reviews on this board. I put it on as I walked to my European Civilizations class. It was a really nice sunny day out, and the album sounded so perfect that I never made it to class. I wandered around, listening to it on repeat and just enjoying the beautiful day. I've since listened to that album hundreds of times, and Joanna's become probably my favorite songwriter.
    5 and 20 I'd still agree with. 10 and 15, not as much. 15 should have gone to Black Flag - Damaged, Beat Happening - Jamboree, The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime, or Minor Threat - Complete Discography, due to the release of Our Band Could Be Your Life that year. And 1996? Sublime's self-titled. Not something I listen to much now, but at the time it was on constant rotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nice, are we doing do-overs? And additions?

Well, I saw your thread that asked about this thread, and I looked at mine, and realized that those were incorrect. I'm thinking about 25 now.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post

5:

one of my earliest memories of listening to music comes from my mom playing elton john's greatest hits , while she got ready for work. it also worked as a signal to get ready for school.

10:

i don't have a real memory of the music playing in my life around this time, but i do remember watching and liking the music videos for U2's Achtung Baby.

15:

a lot of the influence i had during this time came from friends i was hanging around with, so a lot of rap albums from wu solo projects, nas, tha alkaholiks. a year later i would find radiohead, then started to move my way back through older stuff like the beatles, pink floyd, the doors, etc.

20:

by this point i was keeping up with music reviews on the interent, and in musical magazines. but the album that i probably played the most was Murray Street. i don't think the cd left my car for at least 6 months. another was beck's sea change.

25:

still a favorite of mine.

30:

just going off my last.fm plays, this album or their Live From Soho album would be it so far
    turned 30 a few months ago, so i updated mine
    Last edited by buddy; 05-12-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Age 30 and some...

5 Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These)- Eurythmics (Mainly this single is defines the 80's for me, that and the Human League's Don't You Want Me)

10 Pretty Hate Machine (One of the most influential albums in my life. I had this on tape! I introduced a lot of my ex-boyfriends to NIN, in which twice my tape got stolen by said boyfriends.)

15 Hackers Soundtrack (this is where I expanded my horizons into the rave scene)

20 Wolfsheim's Spectator (Such a great album, with a lot of memories attached to this, I went back to the goth scene during the later half of the 90s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

These are my favorite features on P4K. I need to wait a year to hit 25 though.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Mae West View Post
    20 Wolfsheim's Spectator (Such a great album, with a lot of memories attached to this, I went back to the goth scene during the later half of the 90s)
    Ahhhhh I love this album!
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Ahhhhh I love this album!
    YAY! Now I don't feel so bad, by sending you 2 cds of goth/industrial music for the music exchange! I wish I would have seen Wolfsheim live! They went to Colo around 2003 I believe and my friend had an extra ticket and begged me to go, but for some reason, I passed up the offer. Which now I regret, because they are now broken up, and I have no hopes of them reconciling their differences.
    Quote Originally Posted by lolswaglol View Post
    I don't see people on the map. somebody please help. does this mean coachella is canceled?
    Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.
    Coachella lifer since 2007

I decided to give a go to this because i have a lot of free time and energy right now.

This was not by choice granted and a lot of my listening involved radio disney, but all Led Zeppelin was played constantly by my dad and this album and house of holy are the main two that i remember him playing.

This was discovered when i was 12 after my introduction to classic rock. I thought i knew everything about music and then one of my brothers friends who was a senior in high school introduced me to pavement, specifically this album. It opened my eyes folks!.

While working construction for my dad and really discovering "music" i stumbled upon this and boys and girls. This album literally put my life into words. Ive never embraced a band to such a point and i know every single lyric to every single song in my soul. I still get goosebumps thinking about the exact alley i was in when i heard Multitude of Casualties for the first time.

This was a very difficult decision for me but i chose this album because i have listened to this album so many successive times. Really a great and very underrated album imo.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post

This is the first cd I ever owned. My dad bought it for me because I stayed in the car and was good while he went into the liquor store. I can still sing "Blame it on the Rain". I remember watching Milli Vanilli perform on some awards show and shortly after they were outed as a fraud. I had no clue what that was all about so I wasn't crushed at all...then, but now it kind of stings to know my favorite band was fake.

I was in 4th grade, Kurt Cobain had just killed himself, and I remember a couple of girls crying, clutching magazines with Cobain on the cover. I was indifferent about this apparent suicide because I was listening to Bush. I could be totally off on the timeline of these events (i.e. sixteen stone may have come out after his death), but these events took place in close proximity. This album still holds up today. I listened to it maybe a year ago and songs like "Glycerine" and "Machinehead" still make me smile. It may be more nostalgia rather than engaging listening that does this, but tev.

This may be the album I have listened to the most and most consistently throughout my life. It has been a staple on my ipod since ipods came out, and always will be. It's one of the best albums of my generation. I lost my virginity to this album. I smoked weed for the first time to this album. I lived my teen years listening to this album and it has never gotten old. Oh, and Abe Cunningham is the shit.

Perfection. This album got me through college.

I have never been able to get into Hip-Hop like I can other music. I have listened to it and been exposed to it my whole life, but never felt like it was anything worth diving into. Then in 2008 I listened to this album. DOOM is the best lyricist I'VE ever heard and he made me appreciate hip-hop for what it is. DOOM is an asshole and he raps about being an asshole and treats his fans accordingly, which sucks hard, but I almost wouldn't want it any other way. He does what he wants and if you don't like it, fuck you. I cannot wait for the next Madvillain album.
    I am changing milli vanilli to Michael Jacksons Bad. Maybe someday when my mom actually cleans her room I will prove it.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

5. Proclaimers - Sunshine on Leith

This was the first album that I bought which was a little after 5 but is significant and hilarious.

10. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

This album was tops during a time when we liked to mosh, some of which, looking back, was pretty ridiculous. Played this album so many damn times and is still a go-to when I need that juice.

15. 2pac - All Eyez On Me

Came out a year before but was still my favorite at 15 and then some. I loved music but this made me a fanatic for the first time and I couldn't get enough. This also was during the time of Napster and sent me on a chase to get his discography and all his unreleased tracks. Music and internet became the same and why I'm on this board.

20. The Cure - The Head on the Door

This one was really hard. During this time frame I was pretty jaded with the music coming out in rap and rock, the primary genres I was listening to at the time. During this time I spent a lot of time digging deeper into 90's hip hop and rock music from the 80's, 70's and 60's. There was good music during this time but I was not looking in the right places...that and being a stoned Berkeley student listening to DMB and Ben Harper and such. This was the dark era in music for me and so I symbolically pick The Cure which I also really enjoyed once I started discovering music beyond their radio hits.

25. Thom Yorke - The Eraser // Radiohead - In Rainbows

Thom Yorke's The Eraser got me to go back and really look into all of Radiohead's music which admittedly I was not a fan of besides 'OK Computer' the first time around. By the time In Rainbows was released I was a fanatic.

30. John Talabot - ƒin

This one is also hard without the help of hindsight. On top of that, 30 was a good year in music and probably my most diverse which is not surprising and is strongly correlated with a few years on this board getting recommendations and Spotify. 30 is also a time where dance music is playing a lead role in my musical discovery and enjoyment. However, this shift was introduced a few years prior to 30 and many of those were in single format. But if I was to choose one around 30, for now, it would be Talabot's album which was an amazing cohesive album for dance music.
    Last edited by lt.roast.a.botch; 05-12-2013 at 06:35 AM.

I will be 30 in a year and I honestly have no idea what album I will choose, which really fucking bothers me.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

For some reason a lot of people put an emphasis on 30, largely because traditionally we should know what we are to become and well on our way which, for a lot of us, is outdated regarding our generation. I just hope music is still good at 35.

I'm so glad this got bumped result as a result of my drunken ramblings. I love this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I just hope music is still good at 35.
    I think so.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

5. John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy

I was ridiculously obsessed with Star Wars as a child. Around the time I was 5, I started taking piano lessons and learning a bunch of John Williams tunes. My instructor gave me this CD and a ticket to see John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl (my first concert). I spent many hours with my CD-man and this CD.

10. Tom Petty - Wildflowers

Spent a lot of time on road trips with family listening to Tom Petty/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers but this was always my favorite of his. It was around this time I started paying more attention to details in music and discerning different parts instead of just listening to the main melody.

15. The Beatles - 1962-1966/1967-1970 (Anthology)

I know, it's an anthology - a 4 CD set - but I didn't listen to many proper albums at this age, and these discs got a lot of wear from my in my early HS years. My best friends on the cross country team were Beatles fanatics so I began to listen as well, and generally had one of these discs in my mom's car for the ride to school each day for at least year. Initially I liked the early stuff but the more evolved music from the later era eventually became my favorite. Haven't really listened to the Beatles in years (or any of their proper albums in full), but I suppose you could say they were at one time important to me and maybe influenced my taste.

20. Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

I had been listening to Andrew Bird for several years now, and when this came out in 2007, it quickly became my favorite of his (since surpassed by Noble Beast, which is my favorite album of all time). I remember ordering it online - then a rare thing for me, to buy music - and being so happy when it came in the mail. At this point in my life I didn't know a single person who listened to or liked this kind of music, so I felt some shame about my taste, but I continued to listen and explore in private. It wasn't until my older brother asked me to share my collection in 2010 - and openly liked a lot of it - that I realized it was ok to be open about what I liked.

25. Colin Stetson - New History Warfare Vol. 2: Judges

This is the album that completely revolutionized the way I think about music. It opened my mind a lot - I had started to explore ambient and jazz a little bit before this album came out, but Stetson really solidifed my interest in exploring more. After spending a lot of time with this album I became more interested in noise, ambient, even free jazz (although I wouldn't call what Stetson does jazz at all, he was influenced by Peter Brotzman which got me listening to Machine Gun and that was a very good thing). I've overplayed this album probably, and don't listen often anymore, but it still holds a special place for me.

5 - Graceland
    10 - The Chronic
    15 - Sgt. Pepper's
    20 - From A Basement On A Hill
    25 - In Rainbows
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

41 now

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Alessandra -38

My dad used to play this album whenever he would come home a little tipsy. I heard that album a lot around 5 and loved it. My dad was a fun drunk.

This was the first album I bought. I still have it on vinyl, cassette, AND 8 track. I waited in front of the tv when they were playing the video on the hour every hour. That was the same summer I discovered Duran Duran, so this was a bit of a battle.

High School was tough. I discovered A LOT of music and many bands could define these times, but this album for some reason really connected with me. I actually wrote a paper on it my freshman year, but my teacher didn't appreciate my genius as much as I did. She gave me a B+, bitch.

91 was a crazy and wondrous year. This album defines my world at the time in soooo many ways.

These later years I had to go by albums that came out around the time and I can easily say this was one of my favorites of the time. Beck will always be my superstar, but he was a close tie with Bjork (Homogenic). Beck won out, because I listened to this album more.

I discovered The Flips back with Soft Bulletin, but this was and always will be my go to bar song.

I can't wait to see them in a few weeks.

This is one of those albums that I can listen to from beginning to end and every track resonates with me in so many ways and on so many levels.
    Last edited by algunz; 05-12-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Without an image, I have no clue what you're talking about Gunz.

I know that sucks. I'm working on it, but it's The Suburbs.

There. Got it.
    Last edited by algunz; 05-12-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Hm I should think about what mine is for 30.

I just realized In Rainbows was 08, not 09. Now I have no fucking clue what I was listening to in 09. Brothers? Probably Brothers.

5 - Seal - Seal ('94)

I remember hearing this album all the time growing up; my mom would play it in the car nonstop. Still some of my favorite songs.

10 - Outkast - Stankonia

Once again, another album that was completely played out by my family members. This time, my older cousin introduced me to the great sounds of Outkast and this album which has just come up the year prior. He would play it in the car everytime I saw him; that and Jay-Z's the Blueprint.

15 - Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

First time I ever smoked weed, I put on Hot Rats by Frank Zappa. One of my favorite albums that completely changed and evolved for me once I started doing drugs.

20 - Little Dragon - Little Dragon

I know this album came out in 2007, but I discovered them on the Chella lineup for 2010. These guys are honestly one of my favorite bands out right now and it all started because of this glorious, perfect debut. I have played this album probably 200+ times through and it never gets old. Fucking amazing.

Just turned 22, so that's all we get for now.

Oh you're 22, okay now I understand.

Right. And you still want to put Brothers as your album. You have the music taste of a 13 year old girl.

So some people let their significant other dictate their tastes. What business is it of yours?

I get it dude. They got popular, you were too young to have heard them before they hit KROQ. So you feel they're shitty because people you don't like like them. Here's the thing:

That's something children do.

5 - Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica

10 - LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem. Runner ups Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs, Arcade Fire - The Funeral (even though it came out in 2004 I listened to it mostly in 2005)

15 - Local Natives - Gorilla Manor. Runner Ups Arcade Fire - The Suburbs, The National - High Violet, Jónsi - Go
    Arcade Fire 10/29 @ The Capital Building
    Arcade Fire 10/31 @ The Palladium
    Two Door Cinema Club 11/1 @ The Fox
    Father John Misty 11/2 @ The Wiltern
    Day of the Dead 11/2&3 @ LA Historic Park
    The Head and the Heart 12/7 @ The Wiltern
    Volcano Choir 1/18 @ The Fonda