Quote Originally Posted by shmamber View Post

TEN
    AWESOME!!!

Default Re: 5-10-15-20

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    AWESOME!!!
    ^__^ So glad someone agrees!

The 5 year intervals, just by chance, made it hard to resist naming both Kid A and In Rainbows. Also deserving of mention: Talib Kweli's "Quality," the first Franz Ferdinand & Futureheads records, Stankonia, !!!, Sound of Silver, random Stereolab mp3s from IRC channels pre-Napster... I better stop before I start writing a facebook page

Lilia - will be 30 in about a month

5:
    Madonna. all the way. 1985/86 was really the year for Madonna and Michael Jackson. They were everywhere and my mom would just let me watch MTV after school along with Jem and the Holograms

10:
    Still sucked into pop culture and Batman was THE movie. We were all wearing our Batman shirts and doing the Batdance.

15:
    This album was huge and I don't even know how many times I've listened to it over the years.

20:
    My late teens and early 20's were spent listening to a lot of hip and drum n bass. I was usually listening to The Roots, BIG, Dead Prez, J5, Hieroglyphics, Outkast, etc. I was just starting to get into dnb and other genres within electronic music after spending the summer after high school in the UK.

25:
    Still heavily into hip hop and just beat music in general. Other genres were grabbing my attention but not enough for me to reflect and see a great impact during 2005.

I'm close enough to 30 to add Fever Ray. I've seen Fever Ray twice and both times were just amazing. I'll be 30 when I catch them two more times and I'm confident that after those performances the album will sound even better to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    They were everywhere and my mom would just let me watch MTV after school along with Jem and the Holograms
    She's truly outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Pancakes. 19. I'm going to guess what I'll be like in 6 months. This thread is a blast.

The Allman Brothers Band - A Decade of Hits
    This was my "earliest recollection of great music" album. It was a favorite of both my mom and dad's, dad would play it all summer when we'd drive down to 29th street beach in Del Mar and I came to associate those mellow long, rolling southern jams with lazy days at the beach playing with my toy trucks in the sand and learning to swim, coming home all sandy and sun fried listening to "Jessica" as we drove down the coast. The prime of my childhood. I came to love the Allman Brothers more seriously by my teen years -- and more than my dad ever did -- and of course grew beyond their greatest hits collection, but it's amazing how much I'm still so in love with each and every song on this disc. I could listen to it all the way through right now for the 1,000th time perfectly content (and I might just do that).

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle of Los Angeles
    Napster came about for a lot of us youngsters just at the right time, acting as a gateway to a new hobby. Listening to free music is really fun even when you're 10. At first it brought a mainstream pop interest, and then around age 10, when I started to get into skateboarding, that's what music became all about for me. Something to shred out on the sidewalk to. I came across Rage sometime on the radio or TV, thought they were perfect, but soon decided they were perhaps more interesting than skateboarding itself. I ended up downloading about 12 or 15 songs of there's on Napster and played those over and over. The Battle of Los Angeles was their newest album at that time so I'll use it to represent my initial Rage interest. And yet they were another band I just never let go of, carrying well beyond this time.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    5 years skips over a hell of a lot. After graduating from mainstream alternative rock sometime in middle school, by way of The Strokes and The Vines, I found my life revolving around the rock music of the 1960s and 1970s. Led Zeppelin was my initial favorite, swallowing up my 9th grade, and my taste slowly began gravitating towards the weirder progressive, psych, fusiony and experimental sounds of that era from there. By the end of 9th grade my dad had played me Genesis for the first time, another of his favorite bands, and for a long time from then on progressive rock, and Genesis especially, defined my life. It was then that listening to music became my primary activity, most of my days revolved around it. I could sit in a chair and be entertained by nothing but Genesis and Yes's albums all afternoon. Soon I discovered Can's Tago Mago, which really turned things around for me, as well as Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation, both of which logical extensions of my interest in the proggy and extended.

Naturally at age 16 I discovered indie rock, and then attended my first Coachella to see Sonic Youth, Arcade Fire, and a reunited Rage Against the Machine, and we all know how that goes…

Deerhunter - Cryptograms
    Skipping over my long Broken Social Scene phase that started around age 16, to this thing, which I first heard at 17 but am finding to be more influential on my current taste than much anything else right now. My interest in music became more and more contemporary around this time, I started reading Pitchfork and the blogs and keeping up with the new and fresh, and though Cryptograms took some time to click with (Microcastle was to be the album that really catapulted my love for Deerhunter into the stratosphere,) I came to adore it, and it was my gateway to Kranky Records, contemporary ambient, noise, and psych, and most other styles I listen to right now. It covers basically everything -- psych, shoegaze, drone, ambient, noise, garage, post-punk, krautrock, minimal, disco, avant-garde, fantastic pop -- that I'm interested in right now, compiling it in a simple and accessible way that's easy on the ears for someone unfamiliar with those styles. It was still anything but love at first listen, but after 2 years I'm still listening to it about once a week, still sounding fresh… I doubt this changes by the time my 20th year comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Lilia - will be 30 in about a month
    15:
    This album was huge and I don't even know how many times I've listened to it over the years.
    Errrm... Can I change my pick for age 15?... this reps it just as much, if not more than "Mellon Collie" from Smashing Pumpkins or "Tragic Kingdom" from No Doubt. What a great choice! "Too many MCs, not enough mics. Exit the stage like I exit the turnpike..." Love this album!
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I can't imagine what it would have been like to have grown up with parents who listened to rock music. The only cool music my parents listened to was The Mamas and the Papas and Johnny Cash.
    There are many things I wish my parents had done differently, but I know how lucky I am when it came to music. It could have gone awry because they were holyrollers who wanted to believe most everything popular was "Satanic." Fortunately, my dad's love for music made him really non-committal on that front -- he kept listening and buying and told us not to tell anyone at church what he listened to.

He had thousands of records (and later hundreds of CDs too), spanning most everything you can think of in rock from the 50's-80's, and even when I was very young I was allowed to play them. He taught us how to use a turn table and trusted us to be careful. I had my own turntable and records before I was even old enough to read. My parents set aside a night each week where my whole family listened to music together, singing along and dancing. We listened to music constantly. My father was also a rock musician, so learning to read music was something that was done early.

My dad died when I was 21. I found my own CDs that he's nabbed from me in his car -- he'd started respecting my tastes enough to try things I listened to. We didn't always see eye to eye but he'd surprise me sometimes. (Imagine your dad picking you up at school listening to White Zombie). My siblings and I had one huge fight during that time, over his music collection. Sadly, while we were still trying to decide who would get what, our house was robbed and the entire lot of it was stolen. I am still devastated. It was the only thing of his I wanted and the only thing that would make it feel like my father was still "around" in a way. I don't even have a list of what he had to re-create it.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    It seems that this is a common motif in this thread. Was high school "good" for any of us? Seriously, I'm curious as to who would claim high school as the golden years. My husband does. Is he the only one?
    I was very happy in high school. School felt easy, I felt popular, and always had a lot of fun. It is only in retrospect that I realized how awful that time was and wonder why I wasn't unhappy. But it's also reassuring that I am happier than times call for me to be and am overly resilient...

I had a really decent high school experience overall. A small town breeds close knit communities, so I kind of had a bedrock of friends, and while I'm not in huge contact with them anymore, I had some great friends in High School who by and large had decent taste in music. I even got some people to listen to Can and Talk Talk, so what can ya say.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Jose, age 20

5:

Well, this is usually what my dad would be playing. Los Bukis were another big favorite in the house. God forbid I remember any of the lyrics. When I go back home I have no problems with the selections the parents make. In my youth I can vaguely remember the Smiths my brother played amidst the 90s hip hop.

10:

I knew after listening to this that the late 90s pop punk stuff wasn't for me. Eventually, once dsl made its way home, I was able to seriously get into Pink Floyd, Cream, and other classic rock that was new to me.

15:

This changed everything. The White Stripes binge I went through sophomore year of high school marked my transition into music that sounded "different." I had loved White Blood Cells and Elephant, but as soon as I heard "You're Pretty Good Looking", I knew that radio was hiding a lot from me. Slowly but surely I started to seek music that my friends weren't listening to. And after my first Coachella in 06, I knew where my taste in music was going to settle.

20:

Growin' up 'n' shit. With less drugs, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

ok.

this was an obsession of mine every christmas as a child, including year 5. and I honestly don't know what else I listened to at that age.

this is the least embarassing thing I could think of from this age. I hate this part.

fuck yeah. now we're talking. this was the first thing that ever really caught my attention.

oh hello. things were chaning.

what can I say. once this recording came out I couldn't stop listening. it was god damn perfect.

blue plate special

We were all wearing our Batman shirts and doing the Batdance.
    wtf were?

i have at least two batman shirts.

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

Ryan, 24 & some change

5:
    i'm not even going to front.

10:

15:
    a lot changes in 5 years.

20:
    ...and then not much changes in 5 years.
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying

For some reason the five years between CrazySexyCool and Kid A feel longer than the now almost ten years since Kid A.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Paul. I'm 42, so...

5 - Influenced mostly by my father. I'd love to say The Beatles here, and they were played a lot in my house, but not as much as Neil Diamond. Still know most of the words to more of his songs than I care to admit, and will happily sing along when I'm alone in the car.

10 - I was a disco kid. Even though my 13 year old brother was influencing me with Hard Rock, I still listened to AM77 WABC in NY on my Olive green portable AM radio in my bedroom when no one was watching. The Disco Sucks event at Comiskey was 2 years away, but it was a common term in my world. I do remember the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash and it impacting me, so my conversion had begun.

15 - By this time, I was fully into Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, etc, with Rush being my favorite band thanks to my brother playing them OVER AND OVER. Still probably my favorite band. Lots of AC/DC, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin to go around, but synthesizers were now becoming commonplace in music, and after Exit... Stage Left in 1981, Rush joined the crowd with this, one of my first selections from The Columbia House Record and Tape Club.

20 - I could RickRoll this list, since "Never Gonna Give You Up" came out in 1987, but I won't. Musically I was all over the place. This was my coming of age, where I appreciated music of all sorts, from Classical to Hip Hop. While I was getting into cool bands like REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, INXS and more, I was really grooving on my discovery of The Cure.

25 - Although Nirvana would be the popular choice here, I was digging more on The Lemonheads, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and The Spin Doctors, I played Pocket Full of Kryptonite more than I care to admit. But this really blew me away the most.

30 - Although I'd like to claim that I was heavily influenced by certain music or groups at this age, like Daft Punk, Radiohead and The Chemical Brothers, all of which I enjoyed, this was really the beginning of an age where I just wasn't "into" music or went to a lot of concerts. I am going to pick something a bit off the wall, but I really enjoyed discovering musically. Buena Vista Social Club.

35 - I can't even pick anything, because sadly I was just not into music at this point of my life, falling into listening to older music and not seeking out anything new. I heard it all, but just stopped going to concerts or buying new music at this point.

40 - A couple years earlier, watching Live 8 got me out of my musical slump, and I started to more actively seek out new music and artists, and going to more concerts, even if most of them were old acts i was just afraid I'd never see again (Bowie, etc).

Honestly though, Coachella 2010 has done more to fully reinvigirate that passion, and my wife and I are kicking ourselves for having only discovered it this year. We look at the old posters and want to cry at all the good music that has passed through the Polo fields since we moved to Arizona 8 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClares View Post
    20 - I could RickRoll this list, since "Never Gonna Give You Up" came out in 1987, but I won't. Musically I was all over the place. This was my coming of age, where I appreciated music of all sorts, from Classical to Hip Hop. While I was getting into cool bands like REM, Echo and the Bunnymen, INXS and more, I was really grooving on my discovery of The Cure.
    HAHAHA I totally could have Rickrolled. I actually bought a Rick Astley tape around this time (damnit I liked his voice). This would've been my 15.
    Bands I liked then were Erasure (see my post), U2, Breathe, Crowded House, Debbie Gibson, and Rick Astley to name an embarrassing few.

Anyone remember Breathe? Damn, was that singer fine. And such a lovely voice.

The first cassette tape that I bought was Paula Abdul. I am not hiding this, it just didn't fit into the 5-10-15 etc timeline.

And yes I liked Breathe a lot, Amy

This is the first cd I ever owned. My dad bought it for me because I stayed in the car and was good while he went into the liquor store. I can still sing "Blame it on the Rain". I remember watching Milli Vanilli perform on some awards show and shortly after they were outed as a fraud. I had no clue what that was all about so I wasn't crushed at all...then, but now it kind of stings to know my favorite band was fake.

I was in 4th grade, Kurt Cobain had just killed himself, and I remember a couple of girls crying, clutching magazines with Cobain on the cover. I was indifferent about this apparent suicide because I was listening to Bush. I could be totally off on the timeline of these events (i.e. sixteen stone may have come out after his death), but these events took place in close proximity. This album still holds up today. I listened to it maybe a year ago and songs like "Glycerine" and "Machinehead" still make me smile. It may be more nostalgia rather than engaging listening that does this, but tev.

This may be the album I have listened to the most and most consistently throughout my life. It has been a staple on my ipod since ipods came out, and always will be. It's one of the best albums of my generation. I lost my virginity to this album. I smoked weed for the first time to this album. I lived my teen years listening to this album and it has never gotten old. Oh, and Abe Cunningham is the shit.

Perfection. This album got me through college.

I have never been able to get into Hip-Hop like I can other music. I have listened to it and been exposed to it my whole life, but never felt like it was anything worth diving into. Then in 2008 I listened to this album. DOOM is the best lyricist I'VE ever heard and he made me appreciate hip-hop for what it is. DOOM is an asshole and he raps about being an asshole and treats his fans accordingly, which sucks hard, but I almost wouldn't want it any other way. He does what he wants and if you don't like it, fuck you. I cannot wait for the next Madvillain album.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    The first cassette tape that I bought was Paula Abdul. I am not hiding this, it just didn't fit into the 5-10-15 etc timeline.

And yes I liked Breathe a lot, Amy
    Heidi, I got to meet the singer (David Glasper I think?) at some radio station promotion in which the station gave away free gas (I know, WTF), but Breathe never scheduled any live shows here, so sadly, I was never able to see them live. Like I said, I was 15. Couldn't really travel anywhere to see them.

blue plate special

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Bands I liked then were Erasure (see my post), U2, Breathe, Crowded House, Debbie Gibson, and Rick Astley to name an embarrassing few.
    Wait why are you embarrassed about Erasure, U2 and Crowded House?

Not embarrassed about those.

Love this thread.
    I did this already, all written out, and my phone closed and restarted the browser. So here's the re-write.

It's hard to remember the music that I liked at this age. But I remember this album sitting around the house all the time. My dad was into music way more than my mom but she was a MJ lover and played his music all the time. She told me later in life that back then I would dance to this album every time she played it. She also told me that I would dance and sing all the words to b52s love shack. It had to have been the most adorable thing ever :P

For their entire childhood, my half siblings would move back n forth between living in Texas with their mom and California with our dad. Their lives were, to say the least, rough. My youngest sister (15 at this point) listened to a lot rap. One day she left a copied tape out and remember looking at it, wondering what the fuck "ambitionz az a rida" meant. she left it out one day and I snatched it up and played it for myself. I really really liked it. To be honest though, I'm not really sure why. I obviously couldn't relate to what he was saying. Hell, I probably didn't understand him more than half the time. Maybe it was because I could hear the passion and the genuinely emotional sound it his voice, and I was drawn to it. Probably, since, even to this day, I'll listen to this album and feel the same way.

This was definitely the hardest one to choose because not only was I starting to discover my own tastes, but it was just before I had turned 15 that I moved from California to Kansas (not my choice). The people my age either listened to shitty ass rap, or country. I was into neither. Then, this girl came along, and made things so much better. She introduced me to morning view and I loved it. To this day, Aqueous Transmission is one of my favorite songs. She also introduced me to Gorillaz with their self titled and Daft Punk's Discovery (honorable mentions for this year). And while I consider both to be better artists than Incubus, MV sticks out because it triggers the memories that I had with this girl and reminds me of how much fun we had together. Sadly, a year after meeting her, she moved far away, and I have yet to talk to her since, nor do I know where she is. Teenager-ly speaking, she was the one that got away. If only Facebook was around then!

Without a doubt, this is in my top 3 albums ever. It came out in 05, but I didn't discover it until the end of 06. It was sort of a rough time for me; my best friend had passed away a few months before, and my first serious girlfriend had broken up with me not long after. But I found peace within this album, it was comforting to me. Some of the songs just got me in a better mood. The noises he used just tickled my ears and the style was just fun. Other songs made me realize the good things that were surrounding me and in order to better myself, I needed to embrace them, pushed them away for awhile because I was bitter. But I specifically remember listening to Bassnectar when I made this realization. Then there's a couple songs on there that make me giggle because it reminds me of the altered states of consciousness I had with my friends, and those were ridiculously fun times. Whatever song played, it always made feel the same way: happy. Even when I listen to it today, it puts a smile on my face.

The Goon Show - My folks don't really listen to music. Aside from Sesame Street records I wasn't exposed to much music at an early age. What I distinctly remember listening to a lot was an old Goon Show 45 with the "Ying Tong Song" on it.

For those unfamiliar with the Goons, they were a group of comics that produced a British radio program back in the 50's. Very silly stuff, and just the kind of weirdness that would appeal to a 5-year-old 20 years after its release.

Newcleus - For a white kid transplanted from Santa Monica to Poway (inland north county San Diego AKA conservative white bread country) getting your hands on "rap" or "breakdance" music was kind of difficult. I'd tune in the Mighty 690 on my battery powered turntable/AM radio and put a tape recorder next to it in a drawer. If I was lucky I'd end up with one the songs I liked on the tape... if I was really lucky I'd get the full version of "Jam On It" without the DJ talking too much.

Sir Mix-a-Lot & Faith No More - It would probably be safer around here to say I've listened to The Real Thing more times than SWASS but that would be a lie. The 808 on "Posse on Broadway" kicking the shit out of my homemade 15" subwoofer wired all haphazardly to my 70's tube amp was a slice of heaven.

Aphex Twin - Read into this whatever you like. You're probably correct.

Beck - Midnite Vultures is far and away my favorite Beck album. "Nicotine and Gravy" fucking rules.

M.I.A. & Diplo - Banging shit.

Still too fresh in my mind to determine what meant most to me in '09. I listened to the Bang Gang DJs a lot. And heaps of fidget house. We'll see what shakes out.

Wheels Of Cheese

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    The was a really big one for me, as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

+1 on Madvillain! good vibes heading into FlyLo tonight

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Brandon - (almost) 28

5 (1987)

I dont distinctly remember liking anything specific at this age, but I grew up listening to 80s and oldies, and being that my mother is a huge fan of the Beatles, I will go with this. I dont remember this album in particular being played a lot, but it is my favorite of theirs so that is why I chose it. It took me a long time to appreciate and then enjoy the Beatles, I think mainly because my parents liked it and I wanted to do my own thing, but I am a fan now and got to see Paul McCartney back in March with my mom which was a lot of fun. It's amazing how timeless some of their music is.

10 (1992)

There was a lot of 80s in our house like I mentioned, and I remember my Dad playing this all of the time. I always thought the lyric from the title track was "leave your body, asshole, at the door," as opposed to body and soul. We hear what we want to I suppose. Oingo Boingo has pretty much been at the top of my "Please get this band to reunite, Coachella. Please!" list for years now. They are one of those bands where you could hear 5 seconds of any song any immediately know who it is. Hall and Oates were another group that got a lot of rotation, in addition to Michael Jackson, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Robert Palmer and Billy Ocean. Billy Ocean is the shit. It was also around this time that I started to become interested in music of my own, which included Hammer, V. Ice and C&C Music Factory. Maybe I wanted to be on MTV's The Grind. Who knows.

15 (1997)

'97 wasn't entirely special in terms of music from the 90s, but the few years before were amazing. All of the grunge and alt-rock groups in addition to some of the pop-rock stuff made for a music collection that expanded very quickly. This album stuck out the most for me, though. I have argued that this was their best and I still feel that way now, and I am pretty comfortable saying that this may just be my favorite album of all time. I'm not sure what it is that does it for me, but it may have been that there was so much more scope and sound and depth to the music than things like Nirvana, Bush, Soundgarden, STP, etc. I loved all of those bands as well, but they didn't do it for me like the Pumpkins did.

20 (2002)

So I was the music director at our college radio station at this time and was constantly going through new music to figure out what our station should be playing. I had heard older Death Cab and it didn't really resonate with me, partly because at the end of the decade on was on a hard rock/Dave Matthews Band kick, and I should really mention how much I listened to Dave considering that they were my favorite band for a really long time, but they get almost no rotations from me now. They just make me upset at this point. Anyway, the Photo Album blew me away. I hadn't heard much independent rock music, and this was a huge gateway into a lot of bands that formed my music tastes over the next few years. This was also the year of my first Coachella.

25 (2007)

I went through a lot of rough personal shit pretty much all year which ended up leading me to connecting with certain groups on a more lyrical level, and Will Shef from Okkervil River always seems to be able to put it into perspective for me. I think him and I may have lived the same life for a few years judging by some songs' lyrical content. Black Sheep Boy up through their current one, The Stand Ins, hits me really hard and the music is really amazing as well. They are a band I know I will be listening to probably as long as I am alive. On a completely different note, this was also the year I picked up some turntables and taught myself how to DJ, so I became really interested in electronic music again, with most of my focus leaning towards house. I've given up the DJ side of it, but I still enjoy the music.

Notable artists who I gush over all of the time that I didn't mention here because they were between years would include Bjork, Radiohead, Neko Case, M83, Massive Attack and others.
    Last edited by hawkingvsreeve; 05-14-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I'm 22.

5:

What. It's catchy. He was my first crush.

10:

I don't want to talk about it.

15:

I fully stick by this one.

20:

Yup.

i am 42.

5 (1973)

Music was not a big thing in my early years due to deaf parents. my mother is severely hard of hearing though and had a small record collection. The thing they all had in common were singers that were clear and pronounced. Her favorite that got played the most was Johnny Mathis. This is the record jacket i have in my brain from that time. Johnny is still one of my all time favorite singers.

10 (1978)

At this age my older brother had established himself as the musical influence in our house. The record player would always have a stack of records from Zepplin, Queen, Black Sabbath, Kiss, Styx and the like, but Grease is the record the sticks out the most. we saw the movie a few times, my younger brother bought the double discs and we couldn't get enough of Greased Lightning (young boys love any excuse to sing "shit" and "pussy wagon".

15 (1983)

It was tough to not pick Oingo Boingo's Good For Your Soul because some of their best live songs come from that record and i was all about seeing them anytime, anywhere; but Mommy's Little Monster obsessed me. my older brother once again gave me the down lo on music by introducing me to Black Flag and punk rock. Social Distortion was all my own. i had (stiil have) this memorized back and forth and even thought i sounded like Mr. Ness when singing. i consider seeing them at UC Irvine as being my first official punk show (also first concert injury and riot squad).

20 (1988)

Great year for me music wise. i started going to Cypress College (because real werk sucked) and found out you could learn to be a dj while there. i remember playing the shit out of Substance, Rattle and Hum, Lovesexy and more, but this kicked me in the balls and humbled me. Earlier that year i saw Jane's open for X at Cal State Fullerton and thought they were horrible. Perry got on all my nerves and i just wasn't getting it. Ocean Size, Had a Dad and Standing in the Shower would turn that around big time and turn me into a huge fan.

25 (1993)

A shitload happened musically from 88-93. i interned at KROQ for a couple of years, became a dj a Mars FM and was part of a grassroots radio effort called Renegade Radio. Renegade was a late night thing on a broker station (we had to buy the time) that explored "underground" with our foot fully lodged in the ass of Rave culture. Moby was the undisputed king and this record lived on my cd player at home and in the studio.

Edit: Lost the original image i used. This is my autographed cd cover. Moby is very nice.

30 (1998)

i was coming to the sad conclusion that radio was changing and there was no place for me in it anymore. i was fresh off getting fired from Groove Radio when dickwads took over. Bummed me out because i would have played every song off this masterpiece. This record just vibed with me on all levels. When i heard Sexy Boy for the first time i was in love with the hillarity, sensuality and excellent groove. Kelly Watch the Stars is eternal.

35 (2003)

i was with a girl for 10 years and this is the year it all went to complete shit. This record tore into my guts a lot. No one better to cry with than Beck.

40 (2008)

The best band in the world should get some love here.

I am 36

1979 (5)

This is the earliest record I remember having. It's a double record set, and I'm pretty sure my parents still have it at their house. They were (and still are) really into classic rock--Jimi, Stones, Clapton, Seger. Their hippiesh influence was big when I got into the Doors as a teenager, but at five, I thought Bowser from Sha-Na-Na was the cat's pajamas.

1984 (10)

In 1984, every little girl emulated her. My wall pictures of MJ were joined by pictures of Madonna in black lace gloves.

I mean, you really can't blame me for this one. 'Nuff said.

1989 (15)

I fell in with a bad crowd.

1994 (20)

I discovered this album a few years late and it changed the musical direction of my life permanently. I still think it's one of the greatest pop albums ever produced.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Jared - just shy of 25... so fuck you i'm doing that one too.

Lots of Costello when I was little. I could have probably put five different albums by him in this spot, but this is the one that has endured. My mom hated him, but somehow was able to stomach how much my Dad and I put him on.

I inherited this record along with a slew of others from my dad a few years back. I was absolutely amazed when I dropped the needle because it was still in great shape. I'm not sure how, because I'm fairly certain I listened to this once a day for about 6 months... Dad must have trained me proper to take care of his vinyl...

What can be said about this album that can't already be said? My taste in music would not be the same without it.

I've never heard anything quite so devastating. I doubt I ever will. I completely understand the hostility that some direct at Scott Walker, but I would give both my nuts to see him see one song live.

I've talked at length about this massive album. I'm certain it's from another world.