Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying Lotus??? Really?

Lurker

Default Flying Lotus??? Really?

Am i the only one that hasnt jumped on this "shoes-in-a-dryer" bandwagon....his live performances are so lame and un-groovy. i give him his credit for his album/studio work. but live? just sucks ass, bass is cool....but in some kind of pattern/beat. Am i wrong? am i missing something?

Default Re: Flying Lotus??? Really?

Yes, you are wrong, you are not just missing something, you are missing everything.

Try again.

Check him out on his tour for Cosmogramma. Give it another chance.
    Years in attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10

2010 > 2007 >> 2008 >>> 2009

Last.fm

Lurker

word.
    maybe the third times a charm

Quote Originally Posted by Flammenwerfer View Post
    Yes, you are wrong, you are not just missing something, you are missing everything.

Try again.

Check him out on his tour for Cosmogramma. Give it another chance.
    QFT

The entire Gobi erupted when he finished his set because he is THAT awesome live.

he was suupposed to be at the clubhouse in the campgrounds on saturday right ? supposedly he didnt show

yup

Quote Originally Posted by Purefilthdubstep? View Post
    Due to his set time in the Gobi his management decided it wouldn't work doing the campgrounds aswell so Seven from Tempa U.K played Flylo's slot in the Campgrounds.

that makes sense. it didnt make sense to me why he would be billed on the official line up , then come back to play the clubhouse. woulda been cool though

Lurker

too bad he sucks was better off where ever he was

Quote Originally Posted by mikeycarbajal View Post
    Am i the only one that hasnt jumped on this "shoes-in-a-dryer" bandwagon....his live performances are so lame and un-groovy. i give him his credit for his album/studio work. but live? just sucks ass, bass is cool....but in some kind of pattern/beat. Am i wrong? am i missing something?
    It's ok man you don't need to like him cause everyone else says he's good? You gave it a fair shot, just not your thing. NEXT right?

For those of us who do...

RoughSteez is right, the Gobi went ape shit at the end of his set! He got a lot of love there, I was even like wow! The energy in the gobi was 1000 times better than the crowds in some of the other big name groups I saw for the whole weekend.
    Stay Classy!

Every one of the three times I've seen Flying Lotus he has one-upped his previous performance, musically and stylistically. His glitchy, non-tempo take on electronic is extremely different and sometimes he comes off as improvised or indirect. Well, that's exactly what he is. Flying Lotus isn't quite a DJ or a producer, he isn't quite a musician. He is something in Limbo, an artist and a music-maker, and certainly nothing typical.

Fucking. Love. Him.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Dev you going to any of the echoplex shows?
    Last edited by RoughSteez; 05-04-2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: echoplex not echo; forgot

I'll be there on the 15th, attempting to see beyond infinity once again.
    Years in attendance: '07, '08, '09, '10

2010 > 2007 >> 2008 >>> 2009

Last.fm

Worthless thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

You arent alone OP, i couldnt stand any of the times ive seen him. At least 4, everytime i was immensely annoyed and promised myself it would be the last.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by dahboom View Post
    It's ok man you don't need to like him cause everyone else says he's good? You gave it a fair shot, just not your thing. NEXT right?

For those of us who do...

RoughSteez is right, the Gobi went ape shit at the end of his set! He got a lot of love there, I was even like wow! The energy in the gobi was 1000 times better than the crowds in some of the other big name groups I saw for the whole weekend.
    word.....i can dig

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post
    You arent alone OP, i couldnt stand any of the times ive seen him. At least 4, everytime i was immensely annoyed and promised myself it would be the last.
    not enough untz...

did not catch him this year, and do not really listen to his studio stuff, but him in the dome in 09 was amazing, considering there really was not that many people until the very end when everything else finished and he was still going on. but year he was awesome in the dome
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Are you fucking serious??? I've been to over 80 shows in my lifetime and his Gobi performance this year might of been the best one I've ever been to. He gave everything he had in that act, and the people at the Gobi gave him what could be deemed as a 10 minute standing ovation if it was a more formal setting. He himself was taken aback by the response he got from the crowd once he finished. He is THAT amazing. I wouldn't miss his show for the world....and as a matter of fact I'm considering driving all the way from the Bay Area (8 hour drive) just to see his echo show. As DTD was saying, there is NO ONE like him in the music industry, his sound, the way he performs, the way his video background mixed with his music, etc. are just so unique. I feel some bands get too much hype/are overrated, but this DEFINITELY isn't the case with Flying Lotus. His performance at Coachella this year was one for the ages, and i for one think it rivals portishead 08/daft punk 06/rage against the machine 07, etc.

mikeycarbajal dude you are dumb. If you don't get Flying Lotus live then go listen to Kenny G or John Bieber, music lovers appreciate the work of art from this guy.

This set is way up there on my regrets list....definitely trying to catch one of those echo shows....and, judging by the studio albums and the live footage i've seen, this guy is amazing.

I do love the "shoes in a dryer" expression though.

Don't feed the trolls.
    05-12.2

u can listen to the new record here

Thom Yorke is on one song http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125767061

Quote Originally Posted by mikeycarbajal View Post
    Yeah, it is complete crap.

Apparently if you do alot of drugs, it somehow becomes listenable and has some worth....which is obviously a weak way for something to become "good".

There is an entire generation brought up on hip hop/electronic garbage that simply have no clue about music. Its sad really. I just feel like all the people who are so passionately supportive of such simplistic and rudamentary and fake "music" are being duped and are foolish. As far as the performance, wtf was that?....dude stands in front of a laptop pretending to do something and that is somehow a "performance"? Its all so weak.

And yeah....there are are a ton of people who are going to flame me for my opinion, but let me remind you that half this country is filled with morons who simply do not get anything, need an example? I will refer you to the Bush elections....so many retards.

Not that it matters, but I didn't do any drugs during his set (or at all the entire weekend) and immensely enjoyed it.
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

old school

http://www.thisisbrandx.com/2010/05/...ants-more.html
    In October 2008, while Steven Ellison's mother lay dying in a hospital bed, he was at her side recording her.

The L.A.-based musician, who records abstract electronic music as Flying Lotus, brought in a mobile recording rig and gathered audio samples: the hypnotic wheeze of a respirator, the ambient pings of vital-sign monitors.

In the stillness and sadness of his mother's last days, he found comfort in the rhythms of the machines.

“I know it was a weird thing to do,” Ellison said. “I'm not the type to go out recording things like that. But I didn't want to forget that space.”

For Ellison, music exists in those kinds of transcendent spaces. The 26-year-old wants his jazz-infused and beat-centric electronic compositions to evoke daydreams, hazy memories, drug trips and even the dim hours between life and death.

It's a difficult, immersive style in the spirit of his great-aunt, jazz composer Alice Coltrane. But it's also made him a superstar in the thriving Los Angeles electronic music underground, particularly at the Low End Theory club series in Lincoln Heights. With his new album, “Cosmogramma,” which came out Tuesday, Ellison may well become famous outside of that scene as well.

Erykah Badu and Radiohead's Thom Yorke sing on the album. Lotus' earlier remix of Kanye West's “Love Lockdown” turned mainstream hip-hop ears, and a generation of twentysomethings know his music for Cartoon Network's gonzo “Adult Swim” series.

“Hendrix obliterated the boundaries with guitars as Lotus does with electronic machines,” said Mary Anne Hobbs, the influential BBC Radio 1 DJ. “His live performance is totally incendiary, melting devastating primal sound and visual art into a hyper-sensory experience.”

Ellison is a prodigious marijuana smoker — on opening his door to a reporter, he mock-grumbled, “It smells like weed in here.” A steep stairway to his basement studio — piled with synthesizers, vinyl albums and Ellison's artwork — is treacherous enough while sober.

Many artists explore space travel and altered states. And like them, Lotus balances that sensibility with a maniacal devotion to his craft. “Cosmogramma” might be the most difficult work to come out of Los Angeles this year. Given the mind-bending new releases from rising Low End peers Shlohmo, Ras G and the Glitch Mob, that's a real feat.

“My time working with Steve was one of the most treasured, rewarding things I've done,” said Kevin Moo, a.k.a. Daddy Kev, the founder of Low End Theory who mastered the “Cosmogramma” LP. “But a mastering job that normally takes a few hours wound up lasting four months.”

Paradoxically, as Ellison's work grew more esoteric, his audience grew. He recently toured with Yorke's new band Atoms for Peace, and last month he performed at Coachella. Alone before a jubilant tent of thousands, he brought forth a hail of broken beats and blissed-out synthesizers. “You just look out and see girls losing it,” he said in disbelief. “You feel like you could just play air horn all night and they'd still love you.”

--August Brown
    Haha, maybe the OP has a point...

In all seriousness though, this guy is truly on some next level shit when it comes to electronic music. As a fan of guys like J Dilla and Madlib, this guy takes what they do and pretty much sends it into hyperspace. If you listened to it and don't like it, then it's just not for you. Maybe you're just not a fan of beat music...? but to say this guy has no talent is completely retarded. He is so incredibly unique and his style is constantly evolving. 1983, Los Angeles and Cosmogramma are proof of this. This is what the future sounds like people. One day you'll appreciate it. Until then, more room for us!
    Last edited by FoxeyLady; 05-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I didn't do enough drugs and didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. More drugs please!

old school

I was sober and loved every second of it. If you can't enjoy the music without drugs then why listen?
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alterboy View Post
    Apparently if you do alot of drugs, it somehow becomes listenable and has some worth....which is obviously a weak way for something to become "good".
    Tiesto has based an entire career around this theory.

I don't get all the hating. If you don't like it, don't listen. That leaves more space at the show for those of us who like it.