View Poll Results: When it's already congested, is it OK to push through to the front?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a concert. I do it all of the time and feel that people who get angry at me are unjust.

124 25.31%
  • Yes, I think it's OK, but I don't do it.

33 6.73%
  • No, I don't think it's OK, but it doesn't necessarily offend me and I don't get mad at the people who do it.

109 22.24%
  • No, it's not OK. I do express my displeasures with people that try to push their way through the crowd.

224 45.71%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

This is why I like standing near the back. As long as I can still see the stage and hear the music, I'll be content. I've been to many shows in my younger years where the only view I had was the sweaty back of some dude, or the mop on some chic's head. I'm only 5'2" on a good day.

Even if I was against the rail, I'd still be pushed off by some douchebag. I guess that comes with the territory of going to punk shows.

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

I am still going to shamed the shit outta anyone who pushes by and I will see if you can use your words over your fists because I will be rolling 15 deep, and I'm the fucking leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

I think there are good ways to do this and bad ways to do this. The bad ways usually involve entitled-acting drunk girls who have never been told "no" about anything (or similar guys, I suppose). The good ways are very hard to define, and if you don't know which one you're doing, you should probably just stop. Personally I don't see a problem with filling space, but you also have to know when it's time to stop and accept that you're as close as you'll get.
    The same rules, in reverse, apply to reacting to people who are pushing ahead. Don't be a douchebag who intentionally blocks people to mete out whatever weird sense of justice you think you deserve to enforce. In ever crowd, people try to get the best view they can. If nobody is stepping on your toes or elbowing your girl, chill the fuck out.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Lurker

i did it when i was younger and didn't give 2 shits but now all the pushing and shoving is not worth it. much rather chil back and listen to the music

Lurker

Like others have pointed out - it's okay to move up as people shift and pockets of space become available. The poll, which I appreciate, doesn't take into account if the crowd is Pixies packed or Pavement packed. I think the Golden Rule applies here; if you wouldn't be okay with the way you treated someone if the roles were reversed then don't treat anyone that way.

At 6' I always let polite people who can't see around me to pass by as long as they are passing by to get a view of the stage. I let the not so polite peeps to do the same but being honest it does get to me sometimes - plan better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    I think there are good ways to do this and bad ways to do this. The bad ways usually involve entitled-acting drunk girls who have never been told "no" about anything (or similar guys, I suppose). The good ways are very hard to define, and if you don't know which one you're doing, you should probably just stop. Personally I don't see a problem with filling space, but you also have to know when it's time to stop and accept that you're as close as you'll get.
    The same rules, in reverse, apply to reacting to people who are pushing ahead. Don't be a douchebag who intentionally blocks people to mete out whatever weird sense of justice you think you deserve to enforce. In ever crowd, people try to get the best view they can. If nobody is stepping on your toes or elbowing your girl, chill the fuck out.
    Agreed. I had a guy try to box me out before Jay-Z in 2010, when everyone was still seated at Main Stage (making it near impossible to move anywhere). Keep in mind this is not even close to the stage, more near the soundbooth.

I saw my friends about 8 feet up, just trying to reach them, and this late-20s early-30s douche looked over at his friend,smirked, and tried to box us out (as we said excuse me). Pushed him the fuck out of the way, he got all butt-hurt, tried to start some shit, but it was just ridiculous... Show hadn't even started, I'm courteously saying excuse me to reach my group of friends...

I always let people in and out when they need to go. But if you're a bitch about it (ie: physically push without regard for anyone in your path) I will definitely give you a trip or a push as you go by. My girl might elbow you in the rib. That's the just the way it is.

I am fine with weaving through the crowd if there is space to get closer, but once the crowd is so packed that you actually have to brush by people you've gone too far.

If there's a mosh pit going on anywhere in the crowd then its officially anarchy. Survival of the fittest and such.

Just the way it is, if you dont like it go to the back where its calm.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

So it's okay if I start the mosh pit?
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1

Because I'm 6'5" people always think its chill to push to get in front of me. It's not chill. You guys should stop.

i once had a guy push through and say "sorry i see my girlfriend making out with another dude" and push by me all the while i'm feeling sorry for him and then i watch him get to the front and just start dancing. This really pissed me off. I don't usually go to the front because i like room to dance but really?? You knew what you were doing was wrong so you said that to make sure people get out of your way??? The only time it is ok to push to the front is if you had been waiting there and went to the bathroom and were trying to get back to your friends. Thats it.

I used to be super-nice and let people through all the time. After countless times having people stop right in front of me or actually push me back, I've become much more cautious. If I can see enough open space for them *and all thier friends* to occupy comfortably, I'll let them though if they're nice about it. If they just try to push through or there isn't room, my arms become rocks and they WILL NOT PASS. I'm fortunate to be strong enough that very few people would be able to push me out of the way. They usually just try to find an alternate path after complaining or looking sulky.

Now if there is enough room to just go around me, that's fine: I weave around people myself. But if you bash right into me, you're doing it wrong. I don't care how large or small or drunk or how hard you are rolling: you cannot be a human cannonball. I used to think it just came with the scene, but I'm spoiled by events like Burning Man and Priceless where people aren't duchebags. I just don't put up with it anymore. Someone has to tell them that they're acting like duchebags, because thier mothers and fathers clearly didn't.

The above applies to EDM and most rock concerts/festivals/clubs. Moshpits and metal concerts are a different matter entirely, of course.

I shouldn't be telling anybody my secret but here it goes. The easiest way to get by people in a packed crowd is to take off your shirt and point your shoulder straight towards the stage. Face 90 degrees away from the stage. As time goes by you'll see that as people try to push towards the front, you'll slither your way forward to the stage. It takes time and patience but it works so well. I did this perfectly well to get to the front row for Arcade Fire after starting about mid crowd.

remember, as you pass by be nice and courteous to everybody you pass by.

I am a 5'2" female and I find it incredible rude when guys push me out of the way. I say "show some respect, I'm a woman" and then I shove them back like a lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysonBandivas View Post
    I want to know more about this festival.
    Weekend One & Weekend Two ftw

VigoTheCarpathian

How do you suppose this will happen whilst you dance in my arms?

It will not.

Yeah I imagine it would be difficult to shove pushy people with you holding me back :P

i tend to let females and the young get through, bad news if youre a guy over the age of 20... sorry

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadeleine View Post
    Yeah I imagine it would be difficult to shove pushy people with you holding me back :P
    I'm thinking that we just wont give a damn

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

ooooooooh, he's gonna take you back to his throne of blood in his castle of pain. is it the season of evil yet?

Quote Originally Posted by frozen pilgrim View Post
    ooooooooh, he's gonna take you back to his throne of blood in his castle of pain. is it the season of evil yet?
    sounds squishy

There was this group of 3 that "squeezed" in front of me during FlyLo this year. 2 men and 1 woman, all at least 6' tall. I'm only 5'2".
    They stood side-by-side blocking the view of the stage and ALL visual screens for me. I was pretty peeved.

I started out behind the center speaker stacks behind the sound booth of the main stage for Snoop the first weekend, and decided shortly after the set started that maybe I should head towards the sidelines to avoid being caught in the middle of the on-growing crowd. I don't know how many, "excuse me's, sorry's, and pardon me's" I said, but one thing seemed certain...there was never a sideline to be found until after the set!
    Long live the rave tent! Die Hippy Scum.

you shall not pass

Quote Originally Posted by righteousdnk View Post
    I feel if it's just one person I don't usually get too upset. When it's a group of 10 people holding hands making their way through the crowd I express my displeasure and try to intervene.
    i combro break as a hobby

it's called bulldozing your way to the front, bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

as shitty as i think it is, there are 2-3 sets thats i am going to show up early for and still probably will bulldoze to the rail.

I prefer to hang mid-to-the-back of a crowd anyway, as I like a bit of space, and I find it's just so much more enjoyable and relaxed (not to mention better sound) from that part of the crowd. Generally I don't have any issues with people moving forward toward the front. There's always plenty of space where I am so it doesn't affect me.

Sometimes though, it does get crowded where I am and despite not being squashed like a sardine, there is no space for another human being to move into. When we get to that stage I still allow polite people to slither forwards into those random pockets of space.

Bloody hell though, if I let you past me and you then stand directly in front of me, forcing me back in the process, then I'm firmly telling you "no you can't stand there", whilst still remaining pleasant.

I'm 6'3" and a lean 200 with a voice not too dissimilar to Jason Statham. People generally apologise or move straight away, recognising they've just made a douchey move.

I dont really push to the front. I navigate to the front. I'm courteous as a mother fucker while I do it, too.
    Last edited by Godspeed; 04-15-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

If you're pushing to the back of the crowd, it's fine. If you're pushing to the front, get fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    If there are visibly pockets of space in the crowd and I think someone could easily manage to sift through, I will happily let them through. If it is already fucking packed, and you literally have to SQUEEZE through, then I am standing like a fucking wall and you are not getting by.

I have been standing here for 20 minutes...sorry you're late and rude. Stand behind my tall body and shut the fuck up.
    This.