View Poll Results: When it's already congested, is it OK to push through to the front?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a concert. I do it all of the time and feel that people who get angry at me are unjust.

124 25.31%
  • Yes, I think it's OK, but I don't do it.

33 6.73%
  • No, I don't think it's OK, but it doesn't necessarily offend me and I don't get mad at the people who do it.

109 22.24%
  • No, it's not OK. I do express my displeasures with people that try to push their way through the crowd.

224 45.71%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

I hate people that muscle there way through a crowd. Your standing there enjoying the show, then wham!! Some dickhead slams into you. I mean don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with cracking some skulls at a metal show. But during LCD Sound System? common, some dude pushing his way through elbowed my wife in the head. It didn't end well for him.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Crowd surfers always annoy me. I can't count how many times I've been kicked in the head because some douche was crowd surfing.
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - The Zombies / Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I'dDoItAllAgain

Want to be on the front? Get your fat ass there early.

Otherwise, GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    I let short guys through, sometimes. Just sometimes. They almost always have their girlfriends or frat boy friends with them....so you let one through & it's like letting a rugby team through. If I have been standing and waiting a long time for my spot, I don't like letting people through. That's why I like the rail, no one's getting in front of me.
    lol

you guys have rugby in the States?

no way

i pushed through to see Lost Prophets I think at V fest in 2007??

a bunch of squares were complaining, there was plenty of room to get through and stand closer plus I got the mosh started and it was all good everyone had a great time

hate it when people stand there and won't let you through

also

hate "piss bombs" or chucking beer around

to be honest it depends what band it is, if people are getting to the front it's cos they want to circle or mosh eh

if you want to stand and listen to the music, stand at the back

best gig i ever went to was Editors at Ally Pally in 2007 and people were surfing, going nuts, little chicks getting thrown around, beer and water everywhere

that's how a gig should be

just IMO like

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

At Modest Mouse last year, some drunken idiot tried to push through to the front. I had him boxed out, but he eventually got through. One more shot of Jameson and he woulda got punched in the adams apple
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie

Has anyone ever had something like this happen to them?:

Saw Gary Numan back in October. My friend and I got a spot in maybe the 3rd row back when it wasn't too crowded and there was still space. A few minutes later and people are starting to fill in, this dude in a scooter-like wheelchair slowly strolls through the side of the crowd and into the dead center front row with a look on his face that read "well i wont be able to see anywhere else". My friend and I just shrugged it off, it wasn't bothering us. A few minutes go by and the place is packed, pretty shoulder to shoulder. The guy leaves his spot - drives his way through the crowd again to go somewhere. Maybe the bathroom or something. He then does the exact same thing - slowly drives through the crowd to regain his spot at the foot of the stage dead center. Kept that look on his face that said "well I won't be able to see anywhere else!" Everyone looked pissed off as hell but let him back to his spot.

Thoughts?

I give some of the blame on the venue for (to my knowledge) not having a handicapped viewing section. However, if you're in a wheelchair and want to be near the front for a better view, that's cool too and you can totally do that. I'll let you in front of me. But the same concert etiquette rules apply: if you give up that spot, you give it up. Don't try to play the handicapped card into allowing you to just drive your way back an forth from the stage in a packed house.

Quote Originally Posted by I'dDoItAllAgain View Post

Otherwise, GTFO.
    Ditto! People wait all day to be in the front then some STUPID little girls try to ooze in front of you? No flippin way and I will get way too agro when that happens. Nothing worse than a really mad 54 year old large woman with a silver white mohawk!! Don't try to push in front of me if you know what is good for you or my 6ft2 daughter that gets even more angry than me! Exceptions for really short people and kids..that's it!

Last year while waiting for The Gorillaz to start playing, I swear a train of 50 people plowed through me, my best friend and the people we were conversing with. I think it's rude to shove your way up front, especially with those who sacrificed time from other artists to get a good spot for another.
    '10, '11, '12(W1), '13(W1), '14(W1)*

2013:
    Nine Inch Nails 11/09 | RJD2 11/15
    2014:
    Coachella #1 04/11-13

IMO, this has nothing to do with height. If you're short, and there's a tall person in front of you, well that sucks for you. We're all born with a different set of gifts in life. You don't get a pass just because you're 5'2".

As far as pushing people goes, obviously that is not cool. I like to be close to the front, and if there are people sitting down, or generally just room available, I will usually tap someone on the shoulder, and say "Excuse me" and I make my way past them. If it's totally packed and impossible to move forward, I will usually try to move to the side and find another pocket of open space to move up in. If that doesn't exist, then I'm probably already pretty close to the stage and I'll just stay there.

To a certain degree, it depends on what band is playing. If it's 2007 and Rage Against the Machine is on the Main Stage, and you're in front of the sound board, you can probably expect to be pushed. Use your best judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Is it cool if I just squeeze past people who are standing in a circle chit chatting? God i hate those people

I hate those fuckers that actually run-barge their way through a sardine mashed crowd, and then when you pull them up on it they act all blank faced as if it's OK to smash through the front of the crowd of people that have been waiting for 40 minutes to see FlyLo. Fuck You.

AndLeoObre - If the people in front of you are just talking shit constantly through a set then yeah, they forfeit their position.

Just get buff and most people don't fuck with you. It makes it harder for people behind you to push through you. I can say it's probably the greatest asset being in large compact crowds for concerts, and especially when the crowd gets the "sways" being athletic makes it easier to hold your ground.

If your girl, then the advice probably just goes out the widow for you. But hey, don't be afraid to use your elbows when you got people passing you up. Elbows hurt regardless of strength, weight, or height.

Quote Originally Posted by rjadams90 View Post
    Just get buff
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Lolzz, I hate that being buff is now, at least on the message board, is synonymous with being a bro.

You guys do know the working out it good for you? Helps you keep in shape and promotes good health.

Anyways Cool Story Bro.

Last years Chella was the first year that I ever experienced the "self of entitlement" crowd at Chella. Finally lost it during Flo and the Machine...got into a massive yelling argument with some girl because we wouldn't let her friends in front of us...there was no room to get in front of us roughly 25 minutes before Florence even came on stage.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

GTL
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

SENSE of entitlement.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

It is especially not okay when multiple kids push through (at Coachella) see one song and then push out! if you are only sampling-hang in the back-I don't want to be disturbed!

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    IMO, this has nothing to do with height. If you're short, and there's a tall person in front of you, well that sucks for you. We're all born with a different set of gifts in life. You don't get a pass just because you're 5'2".
    ^THIS^
    Im a big guy 6'5", sure im totally cool with moving so others can see and a lot of time I will let the little person standing behind me move to the front. However if I let everyone that is shorter then me stand in front of me well then Im kickin it by the frozen lemonade stand. You want a good spot you got to earn it by getting there FIRST.
    00 - Phish - Big Cypress NYE
    02, 03, 04, 05, 06 - Bonnaroo
    08 - Coachella
    09 - Ultra Music Festival
    10 - Coachella

I haven't read through the entire thread so I'm not sure if this has been brought up... but the worst is when there is a chain of people holding hands with some big guys up front and they all push past you. I've seen this with up to 10-12 people. One person pushing their way past you is bad enough, but C'mon Man.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Break the chain!!

"Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

i'm a tall guy (6'2") and my girlfriend is about 5' and i want her to be able to enjoy the show just like i. so when there is room i encourage her to go forward and i follow. i always get these shitty looks and almost got in a fight one time at a bush show because i got in front of a guy that seriously had like 2 feet ahead of him. is that wrong?? noting the guy was pretty tall himself, but i always try to keep my head down (around my girls level) that way anyone behind me can see for the most part.

best plan to move through a crowd = offer constant apologies using an english accent and wear proper attire showcasing that you are a respectable person from a respectable family and carry a small white porcelain espresso cup high in the air using your pinky finger giving off a wave of sophistication

100% Caffeinated

The coffee schtick could be slightly more humorous.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by I'dDoItAllAgain View Post

Otherwise, GTFO.
    Órale!

I think my least favorite of these shenanigans is when my friends and I have waited in line early, got up in the front when the doors opened, have been waiting some more before the band comes on, and them some fool comes along talking about how their friend is up front and they are just trying to get back up there. Bitch, please. We don't know you and we are not letting you up here. Step off already.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

What's so much better about being 20-30 feet closer to the stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanbean View Post
    What's so much better about being 20-30 feet closer to the stage?
    A lot, admittedly.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyRagdoll View Post
    ^^^^^ this!

Dude, guys... Seriously? I'm 5'3, don't be an ass. Pushing your way to squeeze between me the rail makes you an ass.
    At 5' 3" hardly anyone would see you... And think of all the views you would have..... just sayin...
    Helping you make 2014 the best festival ever...

As close to being your dedicated driver without the price.

Just when you think you are getting ahead of the rat race, along comes faster rats.