View Poll Results: When it's already congested, is it OK to push through to the front?

Voters
490. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it's a concert. I do it all of the time and feel that people who get angry at me are unjust.

124 25.31%
  • Yes, I think it's OK, but I don't do it.

33 6.73%
  • No, I don't think it's OK, but it doesn't necessarily offend me and I don't get mad at the people who do it.

109 22.24%
  • No, it's not OK. I do express my displeasures with people that try to push their way through the crowd.

224 45.71%
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Default Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Please vote honestly, as this has been bugging me recently.

I always hear the whole "it's a concert, what do you expect?" argument, but I feel bad pushing through people to get to the front when they've waited there before me and there's already basically no room. I mean, yeah, it's a concert, but I think that they paid money to enjoy the concert as well, and us barging to the front when everyone's already back to back just makes the whole experience less enjoyable for everyone.

I'm very interested in what some of the concert veterans around these parts have to say on this matter.
    Last edited by JamesMills; 05-01-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

No, it's not, especially if you're taller than me or a douchebag.

Default Re: Do you think it's alright to push through the crowd to get good seats?

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    No, it's not, especially if you're taller than me or a douchebag.
    ^^^^^ this!

Dude, guys... Seriously? I'm 5'3, don't be an ass. Pushing your way to squeeze between me the rail makes you an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about those who egregiously push and shove their way to the front; obviously that isn't OK.

I'm talking about even the notion of politely asking people "excuse me" when there's no room to excuse. Hot pairs of girls are infamous of this.

I let short guys through, sometimes. Just sometimes. They almost always have their girlfriends or frat boy friends with them....so you let one through & it's like letting a rugby team through. If I have been standing and waiting a long time for my spot, I don't like letting people through. That's why I like the rail, no one's getting in front of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

If an act is in progress, no. But if it is between sets, yes.
    "Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

Banned

you can push when their is room you have to really catch the moments when people are dancing then moved through them with super lightning speed; but when your the one with the spot just hold your ground people eventually find another way.

the worst was during fever ray, people were pushing through up until halfway into the fucking set! jesus, of all the acts, that was the one where you just want to find a spot and let the hypnotic show work its magic.....if you didn't get there soon enough, tough shit. at a certain point i stopped allowing people past me....GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE.

I feel if it's just one person I don't usually get too upset. When it's a group of 10 people holding hands making their way through the crowd I express my displeasure and try to intervene.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

If there are visibly pockets of space in the crowd and I think someone could easily manage to sift through, I will happily let them through. If it is already fucking packed, and you literally have to SQUEEZE through, then I am standing like a fucking wall and you are not getting by.

I have been standing here for 20 minutes...sorry you're late and rude. Stand behind my tall body and shut the fuck up.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    If there are visibly pockets of space in the crowd and I think someone could easily manage to sift through, I will happily let them through. If it is already fucking packed, and you literally have to SQUEEZE through, then I am standing like a fucking wall and you are not getting by.

I have been standing here for 20 minutes...sorry you're late and rude. Stand behind my tall body and shut the fuck up.
    Exactly.

Seats?

I have surprisingly pointy elbows. Sometimes I use them.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    the key in the poll here is "when it's already congested". in which case, no.
    Bingo.

Pushing forward when there's clearly no room is poor form. Want to be close? Plan accordingly and get there earlier. Being tallish I'm cautious about moving around even in a lighter crowd to avoid totally blocking someone's view who was there before me. It's endlessly irritating when someone comes and blocks your view halfway into a set.

If the size of the crowd is preventing me from even hearing the band, I will move in front of the tallest person I see, space permitting. I didn't feel bad getting through the Sahara because I just looked for a group of strung out finger-light watchers and stood in front of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant View Post
    I walked straight in with a mixed drink in a 20oz Dixie cup in one hand, and an unopened beer in the other. I fully intended to toss them in the box, but CSC was waving and hurrying me through.

i think its fine. i do this a lot. but i also let people through a lot. it just depends on the situation.
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

I was with a douchebag who wanted to get to the front for every set, and the two sets I watched with him over the weekend I reluctantly followed him as he pushed his way forward. The second time me and another friend just gave up and said fuck him, he can watch by himself. I don't know how he enjoyed any of the music.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Short people suck, they think that they are entitled to be in front of you even though they showed up late and can clearly see there's no room for them in front of you.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

I think most people know when it's okay to surge forward through the crowd and when it's not. That doesn't mean that people don't do it when they know it's wrong, it just means that they know what they're doing.

I'm pretty tall and generally don't have much use for being super close to the stage. As long as I can see and hear what's happening, I've no qualms if someone wants to move past me to get closer. If they're not being an aggressive asshole about it, we've got no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I weave through the crowd if there is clearly excessive space in front of people...but I enjoy my personal space and figure others do as well, so I would never try to squeeze into a spot that there wasn't obviously adequate room. If I happen to move in front of someone, I am cognizant of their positioning and do all I can not to obstruct their view. Pushing is for assholes.
    '99-'11...

I'm tall and will check behind me to try not to block other people's views, when I happen to move forward (lots of people sitting, etc.) I've been on the rail when people try to squeeze in front of me, and I do not let them, even if they're short. I'm there, in part to avoid people getting in front of me, being annoying, etc. Other times when it's been just too congested, I stand my ground and force them to go some other way. I hate, and it happens, when people get in front and just stop, right in front of me. My girlfriend's a lot shorter and it just makes things difficult for her.
    Upcoming: 04/11/14-04/13/14 - Coachella Weekend One; 04/18/14-04/20/14 - Coachella Weekend Two; 08/19/14 - NIN/Soundgarden (Isleta Amphitheater - Albuquerque, NM)

i think it's ok to move up closer, IF THERE IS ROOM. if you slipping in front of me means that i have to move back to make room, that is not cool.

there is also a difference between slipping past someone to get closer and outright shoulder-checking every person as you push your way past.

if there is room to move forward and you tap me on the shoulder to slip past or whatnot, i have no issue with that. there is no reason the front can't fill in just because other people have decided to post up a little ways from the stage for a better view/sound or cause they know it'll get crazy up front (ie. Rage/Tool).
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

I always suck in and do some snake like moves as to not bump anyone, or say excuse me if I need someone to step to the side for a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I love it when people are literally trying to push me to the side with both arms while saying "excuse me."

i had multiple times during coachella where there was not more than 2 inches of air 360 degrees around my body and people were trying to squeeze through the crowd, with a chain of 4 or 5 more people behind them. i refused to move, and they said "BUT OUR FRIENDS ARE OVER THERE!!!!!"
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

yeah, i had a bunch of annoying chicks trying that. they would do the whole "excuse me" thing and i would swing around and nail them with my backpack while offering a polite "yes?".

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post

This.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Ryksopp, FC Kahuna, Tlpopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

I think it's wrong, but I susually don't say anything unless I'm up really close fighting for my position. I let a ton of people by me during Florence and the Machine, but I was near the back to the right.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    Short people suck, they think that they are entitled to be in front of you even though they showed up late and can clearly see there's no room for them in front of you.
    Short people are entitled to be in front of you because YOU CAN STILL SEE, tall asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

First come, first served.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre