Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

ahh, pride fests.
    Home of lesbians with baby stroller gridlock, the world's most asinine dance music, and all of the best has-been bands no one has heard from or cared about in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    I adore Michael Pollan. I would also highly suggest The Botany of Desire (which is a really entertaining read- it goes into the way that we have co-evolved with domesticated plant species and he does a chapter each on the history of apples, tulips, mary j, and potatoes - there is also a PBS doc based on the book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma (the narrative, with Pollan's typical informed tangents about everything, follows him as he sets out to make an entirely local meal, for which he hunts/gathers all of the ingredients himself).

Also, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which is her chronicle of a year in which her family eats only locally produced food. It's a bit of a privileged perspective (she has a large farm in rural Virginia, a huge garden, and the time and money to sustain that lifestyle) which irked me a bit - and she has a tendency to wax a little too poetic - but I warmed up to it and did enjoy the read.

Hmmm. Not as juicy as a hamburger, but this looks good. Thank you.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

i FINALLY tried Chego (the restaurant in Palms set up by the Kogi BBQ ppl). the pork belly was delish, especially the charred bits. Chego may just become a weekly habit of mine.

Yo Drinkey! I was looking at the menu for Dillon's and i'm drooling! Have you tried the Mac n Cheese Burger? I'm going to eat there before watching In The Heights at the Pantages in a few weeks. Going on Wednesday 6/30, hopefully some cheap mid-week drink specials. When are the $3 beers? Couldn't find the info online.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Yo Drinkey! I was looking at the menu for Dillon's and i'm drooling! Have you tried the Mac n Cheese Burger? I'm going to eat there before watching In The Heights at the Pantages in a few weeks. Going on Wednesday 6/30, hopefully some cheap mid-week drink specials. When are the $3 beers? Couldn't find the info online.
    They don't have specials...the beers are ALWAYS $3 for pints and $5 for 220zers, and they have like over 20 beers on tap, good stuff. i love that place!

The Mac & Cheeseburger is also very good.

Really the only downside of that place is that it gets really crowded, and for good reason.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

sweet! $3/$5 beers make it seem like permanet happy hour, love it. I'll try to get there by 6 so that if we have to wait a while for a table we'll still have time to make the 8pm show.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by bleep View Post
    i FINALLY tried Chego (the restaurant in Palms set up by the Kogi BBQ ppl). the pork belly was delish, especially the charred bits. Chego may just become a weekly habit of mine.
    the lemon rhubarb pie at this joint is also fantastic. oh man, so good.

You guys have a fun 4th? My friend and I had such a fun day. Started with a picnic at Griffith Park and my first visit ever to the observatory. It was an unusually clear day and we got such great views of the greater LA area. Then fireworks at the LA Coliseum which seemed to go on forever. We left after an 1 1/2 hrs and the fireworks were still going! Nuts. We ended the night at the rooftop poolside bar at the The Standard in downtown LA. Getting in without cover was easy, though the drinks were (of course) ridiculously expensive, but it was more about the atmosphere tonight. I was totally prepared to be in the company of a snooty, douchey 'bro' crowd, but everyone there was so relaxed and happy and friendly. Maybe it was the long holiday weekend that put everyone in such a good mood; it was such a fun crowd. Dancing the night away under all those LA skyscrapers was just the right way to end the night.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    You guys have a fun 4th? My friend and I had such a fun day. Started with a picnic at Griffith Park and my first visit ever to the observatory. It was an unusually clear day and we got such great views of the greater LA area. Then fireworks at the LA Coliseum which seemed to go on forever. We left after an 1 1/2 hrs and the fireworks were still going! Nuts. We ended the night at the rooftop poolside bar at the The Standard in downtown LA. Getting in without cover was easy, though the drinks were (of course) ridiculously expensive, but it was more about the atmosphere tonight. I was totally prepared to be in the company of a snooty, douchey 'bro' crowd, but everyone there was so relaxed and happy and friendly. Maybe it was the long holiday weekend that put everyone in such a good mood; it was such a fun crowd. Dancing the night away under all those LA skyscrapers was just the right way to end the night.
    Been good (safe) so far! For lunch on the 4th the wife and I went to... guess where... WURSTKUCHE! I had the rabbit/veal and wife tried the Austin Blues both with sauerkraut and a side order of Belgian fries. Naturally I washed mine down with a liter of Spaten Pils. The bar area at Wurstkuche is starting to feel a little too much like home. I know the beer selection by heart.

Later we shopped around Little Tokyo and bought some fresh fish and prime steaks for home. A few glasses of Penley Estate Hyland Shiraz later we hit the roof for some fireworks along with about half the building (we can see all of downtown and surrounding areas). We'll do the same again tonight since we have a clear view of Dodger Stadium.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Going to The Magic Castle for the first time this Saturday Night. Oh, oh. Mysterio.

Gold Room in Echo park can't be beat.

I believe a pint of PBR + shot of tequila is 4 bucks usually, but there's a nice world cup special going on. only 2 bucks

and gold room gives you free tacos.

Free tacos, all you can eat peanuts, pint of PBR, shot of tequila for 2 bucks

can't beat that.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    Going to The Magic Castle for the first time this Saturday Night. Oh, oh. Mysterio.
    $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    $$$$$
    makes me nervous. More than the magic.

I've got a friend visiting from out of town on Saturday. We're going to do dinner at Wurstkuche (excited about FINALLY trying this place) and then we're seeing The Lieutenant of Inishmore at the Mark Taper Forum in dowtown. I was thinking of ending the night at a bar/club or two in downtown. I'm taking her to the rooftop bar at The Standard so that she can check out that beautiful view of the downtown skyscrapers, but it would be fun to hit up one more bar or club on Saturday. Downtown recommendations for a Saturday night?

This place.

http://casadowntown.com/

Dumb 60's mexican movies on the flat screens, cheap food, and strong drinks.

The &ouche factor can be an 8, but don't let that stop you.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Thanks, uh, fatbastard. Casa looks really nice and reasonably priced. Looking more for bars or clubs, though. We'll figure it out.

I took a friend to Amalia's today. A really charming Guatemalan restaurant in Silverlake. I think it was Silverlake; it's near LA City College. It's located in a converted house and has a really homey, rustic inviting atmosphere. Our server was one of the nicest waitresses I've encountered in ages and made some great recommendations despite the language barrier we had.

If you get an appetizer go with the plantains. They're perfectly caramelized and served with this flavorful, buttery cream sauce and the most delicious frijoles negros volteados I've ever tasted. I don't understand how they made those beans taste so densely rich and yet light and airy at the same time. Sooo good. My friend and I split their sampler plate as the entree. Not sure what it was called, but it gives you a taste of all the most popular Guatemalan meat dishes (perfectly seasoned so that the flavor of the meat still shines through) on the menu along with rice, fresh flaky tortillas and more of those fantastic frijoles negros volteados. Wonderful experience. Two of us dined for under $30. Only down side: no liquor license.

I like 7Grand in downtown. It's a cool, slightly nicer whiskey bar. They make really good whiskey cocktails and have pool tables and a cigar lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Thanks, BMack! Any thoughts on... The Varnish, The Far Bar, Library Bar, La Cita, Corkbar?

Library Bar is great.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

7 Grand is always a go-to place for me. La CIta is fun too. They have a big outdoor area and a big indoor dance floor. The clientele is often split down the middle between old Mexican guys and total hipsters.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Anyone been to Bordello lately? Is it still open?

edit: looks like it is.

I'll have to try those bar recommendations out later. My friend had to hit the road back to SD after the play so we ended our night at Kendall's Brasserie - the restaurant/bar adjacent to the Music Center in downtown for some dessert and drinks. The croissant bread pudding with wild turkey sauce was delish.

Finally got to try Wurstkuche for the first time. Got to say, unlike a lot of places mentioned in this thread, it lived up to the hype. My friend and I split the Buffalo, Beef and Pork with Chipotle Peppers and the Mango Jalapeno. The buffalo was just an instant rush or rich, juicy buffalo flavor -- just perfect. The Mango Jalapeno was disappointing -- at first. After a couple of bites the flavor REALLY starts to kick in. It was a fantastic balance of sweet and spice. Really good stuff. The fries were great with the curry ketchup, though the ketchup is not half as flavorful as the "Desi ketchup" you can get in any Indian grocery store. Houblan Chouffe (Belgian ale) went down nicely too. We got there at 7:20 and somehow missed a crush of people who all decided to show up at 7:25. We were in and out of there in 20 mins.

Also, if you're in LA, go see The Lieutenant of Inishmore at the Mark Taper Forum. It's a dark, dark black comedy about Irish terrorism written by Martin McDonagh whom you may know as the screenwriter of In Bruges. Even if you're a philistine who never goes to the theatre, see this play. I haven't laughed that much at a play since I saw Nathan Lane in the Producers. It is is also the single most gruesome and bloody experience I've ever had the theatre. I had no idea legitimate theatre could be so hyper violent and bloody.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Thanks, BMack! Any thoughts on... The Varnish, The Far Bar, Library Bar, La Cita, Corkbar?
    Cork Bar is excellent. I know the chef there personally (it's his birthday tomorrow I think!). And my wife's food supply company supplies most of their cheese and charcuterie. Very good stuff. Also recommend the standard burger on the menu and the pork bruschetta with slaw on top -yum.

The wine is an all CA affair but occasionally they will get flights, like a NZ Sauv Blanc for example. And the beer on tap selection, while small, is suprisingly good. I have spent many nights before Kings games here (season ticket holder) and have missed more than one 1st period having a bit too much of a good time. I'm a Cork fan!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool. I wasn't a fan of Library bar the one time I went. The burger was good, but the atmosphere was very douchey and pretentious, and the bartenders were all assholes. La Cita was really fun the one time I went, very laid back and lots of people up dancing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Enjoyed The Magic Castle in Hollywood last night. Had never seen live, professional magic shows before. It’s an artistic medium of illusion, sleight of hand movements, and mental manipulation. Noticed the magicians constantly speak to the crowd, because using their mouths is the ultimate deterrent from the audience focusing solely on figuring out the tricks.

My friend’s friend, my new friend, and a friend of a magician there got us in. It was fairly glamorous inside with a mix of old Hollywood décor (dark wood, sleek bars, brass rails) and atmosphere (women in their sexy formal wear and men dressed to the Ts). All with the air of magic hovering everywhere.

Fave magician was Jeff Martin and we were seated right in front of his table in a small, intimate room. Jeff is funny, engaging, and had my favorite tricks featuring coin, card, and levitation. He even pulled out a magic wand and did some shit with it (how cool is that?). Also saw Arthur Trace/Handsome Jack, David Yee, and pool hustler Chef Anton.

So, yeah, check her out. If you get the invite. Just make you know the password to give to the owl at the door.

Finally went to Wurstkuche, and it's everything it's hyped up to be.

For those of you who make the trip, be sure to check out the graff down the block that surrounds the sushi joint "R23"; easily the best pieces I've seen in LA.

edit: here's a picture I got in front of one:

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool. I wasn't a fan of Library bar the one time I went. The burger was good, but the atmosphere was very douchey and pretentious, and the bartenders were all assholes. La Cita was really fun the one time I went, very laid back and lots of people up dancing.
    yep, LA CITA is a cool bar. i was there this friday and it was a nice atmosphere, lots of good looking women and good music.

BAR 107 was great too and it's right around the corner. THE DOWN AND OUT is sometimes happenin too, it's around the corner from la cita, and bar 107

Quote Originally Posted by donkey sex View Post
    So, yeah, check her out. If you get the invite. Just make you know the password to give to the owl at the door.
    WHAT IS THE PASSWORD?

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    WHAT IS THE PASSWORD?
    The little copper owl was five or six inches tall on a bookshelf near the entrance door. You said the magice words and the owl’s eyes lit red and the doorway would open. The passwords were either “Abbra Cadabra (I wanna reach out and grab ya)”, “Open Sesmee”, or something typical magic-y like that. The leader of our group issued the correct phrase...I forgot what they were. Or did I?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'll have to hit up Corkbar soon, that sounds cool.
    Cool. I just was there Sunday. I really like their waitress/barkeep that works that day. She usually wears a beret/cap and she's a real sweetheart. Food was good. Took the wife and had, of all things, a burger and the pork bruschetta! Predictable but I was thinking about this thread when I ordered. It was really good. We sat outside and it got a bit breezy, but we held it together fine- an amazing day. I had whatever strong IPA they were rocking on tap (2... maybe 3?). Very good. Like I said not known for their beer but what they have is decent.

I got 7 Grand bookmarked btw. Thanks for the recommend. I'll check it out shortly.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 07-13-2010 at 10:32 PM.