Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Thanks for the invite, sonnyboy11 but I work in Beverly Hills; bit of a trek to downtown for lunch. I am DYING to try it, but I promised my friend Maya that Id have my first Wurstkuche experience with her when shes in town later this month.

Hey, has anyone been to Street? Thoughts?

Im sure many of the foodies on here know about this, but I just read about Black Board Eats in the LA Times. They give you a new discount offer every day which you can redeem at restaurants across LA. It looks like you have 30 days to redeem each offer. Todays offer is for a free bottle of wine at Bashan but other offers have been for as much as 40% off your meal at what their editors call the best restaurants in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Thanks for the invite, sonnyboy11 but I work in Beverly Hills; bit of a trek to downtown for lunch. I am DYING to try it, but I promised my friend Maya that I’d have my first Wurstkuche experience with her when she’s in town later this month.

No worries brutha.

Interesting day today. The entire area around 4th and Hewitt was sectioned off by police when me and my friends arrived to try and get into Wurstkuche. We were standing there and outside the yellow tape and we asked a cop if we could even get to Wurstkuche. He said "No way. All this area is closed". Suddenly SWAT rolled in and things got a little crazy. People running and people with vid cameras shooting everything going down. Turns out it was this

http://blogdowntown.com/2010/06/5392...ourne-arrested

We split in the confusion and ate French Dips at Philippes. Delicious! I got a side of potato salad and a kosher pickle to go with. Not NYC deli good but my first time there and I enjoyed it.

My friends dropped me off at home and my normally quiet side street was suddenly a parking lot due to police re-directing traffic off of the now closed 4th Street. I worked for a bit and then once I realized the traffic on my street had cleared (meaning 4th St was now open again) I made my way back up to Wurstkuche. There were still news vans there and reporters on the street. No line for Wurstkuche. So I headed inside and liberated a duck/bacon/jalapeno sausage with the aid of spicy brown mustard a liter of Spaten Pils! I gave channel 2 news the interview afterwards...
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I can't believe that guy was so stupid to still be in the country. Even worse that he wasn't even more than a mile from his condo. The original story was very interesting. He seems like an idiot now.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    I can't believe that guy was so stupid to still be in the country. Even worse that he wasn't even more than a mile from his condo. The original story was very interesting. He seems like an idiot now.
    Yea, true. But you're missing the important point of the story- there was a girl involved. Guys always ditch logic and sensible action whenever there's a girl in the mix.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Holy shit. I had to pull over because there were like 20 or 30 unmarked cop cars blazing past me on Temple yesterday morning, I was wondering what that was all about.
    waka waka

Any suggestions as to where I can get beer w/ breakfast on a weekday? The earlier they open, the better. I assure you I have a very reasonable explanation for why I need this tip.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Any suggestions as to where I can get beer w/ breakfast on a weekday? The earlier they open, the better. I assure you I have a very reasonable explanation for why I need this tip.
    Barney's Beanery is open fairly early and they serve beer all day. I particularly recommend the one in Westwood, service is way better at that location.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

You and Barneys... :: sigh ::

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Tally Rand in Burbank.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Can we talk about clubs for a minute or do I need to start another thread? I'm not exactly a regular clubber, but I do like to go out dancing once in a while. I have a big housewarming/birthday party coming up in July. I'm having about 12 people over for dinner and then the plan is to head out to a couple of clubs to dance the night away. I live in Koreatown so obviously we're not staying in my neighborhood for the clubbing part of the evening. It's going to be a mixed crowd (80% straight, 20% gay) so any West Hollywood suggestions need to be fairly omnisexual. Here's what I'm looking for:

LOC: Hollywood, West Hollywood or near downtown.
    DAY: Saturday night
    VIBE: Clubs where people actually, you know, get down as opposed to sitting in private booths shipping champagne, a fun party atmosphere.
    MUSIC: I'm not too picky for this evening. Is it enough to say good dance music?

NOT LOOKING FOR: Dive bars/quiet corners/bars without DJs/music/dancing

Thanks!!

I normally get the traditional with a side order of pancakes before getting my hair cut down the street.

http://www.luckybaldwins.com/backup/
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Every time I see this thread it makes me think of the worst bar I've been to in LA.

The Redwood Bar and Grill (which, coincidentally, is also the bar they do karaoke in in 500 Days of Summer - I recognized it when I saw the movie and thought them undeserving of the advertising). I was so excited to go there because, hello, pirate bar! So I went with one of my friends a few years ago when I was out there on a trip. We got in and no one even acknowledged our presence (it was totally dead in there as well, so no excuse). We waited, and waited, and finally we got sat where we waited some more. It took about 15 minutes for a waiter to come, another 10 minutes to even get the water that I asked for (we had been walking all damn day and I was effing thirsty, so this did not help their cause), and then probably another 20 minutes for our food. Which, when it arrived, was so burnt that I literally could not eat it. I clocked it and we spent nearly an hour in there before disgustedly walking out. I was so pissed. It was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    It is Joycian (if James Joyce were a Super Bitch).

Blah blah blah, let it go. Know here's the question, what did you think of their burger?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Blah blah blah, let it go. Know here's the question, what did you think of their burger?
    I can't - OBVIOUSLY it was a traumatic situation which is going to take years and years of therapy for me to get over.

The burger I was served was practically a briquette, so. Not great.

In fact, I am now a vegetarian. I'm not saying it's related, but I'm not saying it isn't either...

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Can we talk about clubs for a minute or do I need to start another thread? I'm not exactly a regular clubber, but I do like to go out dancing once in a while. I have a big housewarming/birthday party coming up in July. I'm having about 12 people over for dinner and then the plan is to head out to a couple of clubs to dance the night away. I live in Koreatown so obviously we're not staying in my neighborhood for the clubbing part of the evening. It's going to be a mixed crowd (80% straight, 20% gay) so any West Hollywood suggestions need to be fairly omnisexual. Here's what I'm looking for:

LOC: Hollywood, West Hollywood or near downtown.
    DAY: Saturday night
    VIBE: Clubs where people actually, you know, get down as opposed to sitting in private booths shipping champagne, a fun party atmosphere.
    MUSIC: I'm not too picky for this evening. Is it enough to say good dance music?

NOT LOOKING FOR: Dive bars/quiet corners/bars without DJs/music/dancing

Thanks!!
    The Avalon is usually your best bet.
    http://avalonhollywood.net/?p=2937

Also the Vanguard and Cinespace. Not sure what's going on at either of those places this weekend though, if anything.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by I.F.A. View Post
    I can't - OBVIOUSLY it was a traumatic situation which is going to take years and years of therapy for me to get over.

The burger I was served was practically a briquette, so. Not great.

In fact, I am now a vegetarian. I'm not saying it's related, but I'm not saying it isn't either...
    Burger group therapy sounds like your best bet. Lacto or pure veg?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Every time I see this thread it makes me think of the worst bar I've been to in LA.

The Redwood Bar and Grill (which, coincidentally, is also the bar they do karaoke in in 500 Days of Summer - I recognized it when I saw the movie and thought them undeserving of the advertising). I was so excited to go there because, hello, pirate bar! So I went with one of my friends a few years ago when I was out there on a trip. We got in and no one even acknowledged our presence (it was totally dead in there as well, so no excuse). We waited, and waited, and finally we got sat where we waited some more. It took about 15 minutes for a waiter to come, another 10 minutes to even get the water that I asked for (we had been walking all damn day and I was effing thirsty, so this did not help their cause), and then probably another 20 minutes for our food. Which, when it arrived, was so burnt that I literally could not eat it. I clocked it and we spent nearly an hour in there before disgustedly walking out. I was so pissed. It was one of the worst service experiences I have ever had.
    That is very strange because I have been to the Redwood many times and my experience is always great. Beyond good beer prices and a cool atmosphere, their food is also usually excellent. You must have gone on an extremely strange off-night.
    last.fm

Tell me your opinion on that damm burger Drinkey.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

I've not had the burger although it's been recommended to me. they have great chicken wings and sandwiches though.
    last.fm

Burger group therapy sounds like your best bet. Lacto or pure veg?
    Ha, I wonder if there's a burger 12 step?

Ovo-lacto. I'm reconsidering the ovo part though - my vegetarianism is philosophically based mostly on environmental and health concerns (I'm not, like, a member of PETA, and don't oppose non-cruel meat-eating for others, but I'm ardently against CAFOs). I'm probably going to cut out any eggs that I can't get locally sourced, since even "free range" eggs from large scale producers are environmentally unsound and the chickens still aren't in great conditions. So, I guess I'm sort of moving towards eating as much locally, small-scale, produced food as possible.

I'd don't eat much dairy outside of yogurt, and love to be able to find a local dairy and make my own, but sadly there's not much available in AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post

Also the Vanguard and Cinespace. Not sure what's going on at either of those places this weekend though, if anything.
    The new partner at the Music Box is one of the Avalon owners and i think he's trying to get a Saturday night thing going on over there too. I think Sander Kleinenberg (sic?) spun a few weeks ago.

As far as West Hollywood goes, the Abbey gets a lot of str8s on Saturday nights unfortunately the "dancefloor" is not very big. What about some of the monthly clubs like Bootie LA? You can also check out the LA Weekly, but i think most of the ads I see in there would attract an 18-21 crowd since a lot of it is 18+.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

For an 18+ club the World is okay. I'd avoid West Hollywood unless you're really looking for the gay scene. Traffic on a Saturday night is fucking horrific, parking is a nightmare, and a lot of the clubs in that area have minimal dance space. The east end of hollywood is easier to traverse and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants walking distance from the clubs in that area.

The Avalon is a terrific space with phenomenal sound and lighting. The Fonda is great for dancing as well the few times I've been for dance nights.

Too bad the Hollywood Athletic Club doesn't operate as it used to. That place was crazy, and dancing in the pool was a lot of fun.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    The new partner at the Music Box is one of the Avalon owners and i think he's trying to get a Saturday night thing going on over there too. I think Sander Kleinenberg (sic?) spun a few weeks ago.

As far as West Hollywood goes, the Abbey gets a lot of str8s on Saturday nights unfortunately the "dancefloor" is not very big. What about some of the monthly clubs like Bootie LA? You can also check out the LA Weekly, but i think most of the ads I see in there would attract an 18-21 crowd since a lot of it is 18+.
    For an 18+ club the World is okay. I'd avoid West Hollywood unless you're really looking for the gay scene. Traffic on a Saturday night is fucking horrific, parking is a nightmare, and a lot of the clubs in that area have minimal dance space. The east end of hollywood is easier to traverse and there are plenty of good bars and restaurants walking distance from the clubs in that area.

The Avalon is a terrific space with phenomenal sound and lighting. The Fonda is great for dancing as well the few times I've been for dance nights.

Thanks for the club suggestions guys. I asked around at work and Avalon is the first place everyone mentioned. It does look like it attracts a relatively douchey crowd, but it's Hollywood on a Saturday night so I'm prepared to accept that we might be surrounded by bros n hos. My party actually isn't until July 17. Vanguard's calendar doesn't go beyond July 4th. Avalon has Persian American DJ Sharam playing on July 17. I checked out some of his stuff on youtube and it's duller than dishwater so hopefully there are some more interesting DJs playing that night.

Bootie LA looks like a lot of fun. From what I've read it seems to have a very welcoming 'anything goes' vibe.

Any thoughts on Boulevard3 or Circus Disco?

hahaha well, the Circus Disco website isn't very promising. Wow!
    http://www.circusdisco.com/
    Well, Jorge might be into it.
    last.fm

Ha ha ha. Yeah on most nights it appears to be a gay club for "papi" lovers. Nothing wrong with that in my book, but as I said I'm bringing a mixed crowd so I'd prefer something a bit more omnisexual. Apparently, Circus Disco has "straight" nights on Saturdays so that's why I was asking.

Ha, I wonder if there's a burger 12 step?

Ovo-lacto. I'm reconsidering the ovo part though - my vegetarianism is philosophically based mostly on environmental and health concerns (I'm not, like, a member of PETA, and don't oppose non-cruel meat-eating for others, but I'm ardently against CAFOs). I'm probably going to cut out any eggs that I can't get locally sourced, since even "free range" eggs from large scale producers are environmentally unsound and the chickens still aren't in great conditions. So, I guess I'm sort of moving towards eating as much locally, small-scale, produced food as possible.

I'd don't eat much dairy outside of yogurt, and love to be able to find a local dairy and make my own, but sadly there's not much available in AZ.
    I finished reading Michael Pollan's eaters manifesto a couple of weeks ago. It covered eggs and organic meat. Scared me enough to have dinner at Mani's bakery for a couple of nights.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

I finished reading Michael Pollan's eaters manifesto a couple of weeks ago. It covered eggs and organic meat. Scared me enough to have dinner at Mani's bakery for a couple of nights.
    I adore Michael Pollan. I would also highly suggest The Botany of Desire (which is a really entertaining read- it goes into the way that we have co-evolved with domesticated plant species and he does a chapter each on the history of apples, tulips, mary j, and potatoes - there is also a PBS doc based on the book), and The Omnivore's Dilemma (the narrative, with Pollan's typical informed tangents about everything, follows him as he sets out to make an entirely local meal, for which he hunts/gathers all of the ingredients himself).

Also, Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which is her chronicle of a year in which her family eats only locally produced food. It's a bit of a privileged perspective (she has a large farm in rural Virginia, a huge garden, and the time and money to sustain that lifestyle) which irked me a bit - and she has a tendency to wax a little too poetic - but I warmed up to it and did enjoy the read.

hahaha well, the Circus Disco website isn't very promising. Wow!
    http://www.circusdisco.com/
    Well, Jorge might be into it.
    shut your whore mouth!

got me tho, i actually i used to go there on Friday nights. it was basically the Cheers of the gay latino 20-30 crowd (still might be, haven't been there in a while). Everyone knew you're name (and dated your last boyfriend...man, i could totally write a Logo show right now). Fridays at Circus...Saturdays at Arena...that was basically the agenda for like 2 years straight.

On Saturday, Circus used to have Giant, but I don't think they do anymore. Been a while since I heard that club name thrown around. Must have moved when Vanguard first opened a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

You could look into Cinespace in Hollywood

http://www.cinespace.info/Welcome.html
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Wow. I've really had my head buried in my work. Until one of my coworkers mentioned it, I didn't even realize LA Pride was this weekend. Kelis of "Milkshake" fame, En Vogue who, apparently, still exist and the 2nd most popular member of Destiny's Child are playing along with dozens of DJs. My first LA Pride. Should be fun!