Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

The Beauty Bar on cahuenga in Hollywood rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yeah there's a COunter in Sherman Oaks and it is INSANE. my boss took me for my birthday a month ago and my face exploded. It's also where I unexpectedly sat next to KroqKen, so that' an added bonus of the location.
    It's in Studio City, not Sherman Oaks (yo).

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    It's in Studio City, not Sherman Oaks (yo).
    Ah. I work in Sherman Oaks and it was a really quick drive...the transition from Sherm to Studio on Ventura happens quickly
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

S.O./S.C. border is approx. at Coldwater Canyon.

Any good places to drink around The Wiltern?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

It's tough to find a good Chinese place on the Westside. The only one I like, and I happen to like it very much, is Little Hong Kong Cafe on Sawtelle, just north of Olympic. Best Kung Pao Chicken I've ever had. I also like the Hong Kong style pan fried noodles with seafood and vegetables. Would like to find a Dim Sum place somewhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluck View Post
    It's tough to find a good Chinese place on the Westside. The only one I like, and I happen to like it very much, is Little Hong Kong Cafe on Sawtelle, just north of Olympic. Best Kung Pao Chicken I've ever had. I also like the Hong Kong style pan fried noodles with seafood and vegetables. Would like to find a Dim Sum place somewhere close.
    Isn't that the place right next to Hurry Curry?
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

At work we had lunch catered from Bay Cities Deli yesterday. I don't know what you lot were going on about. My pastrami sandwich was worse that the shit they serve at Subway. The pastrami had no flavor, the bread was sopping wet from being doused in a bland italian seasoning and the cheese was a little off. Any good Jewish style/NY style delis in LA? Would love to get a tongue sandwich.

Canter's is a Jew's paradise. OM NOM NOM
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Canter's looks awesome! And close to work. Definitely checking that one out.

the bar at Canter's, The Kibitz Room, can be fun to hang out at too if you like to meet crazy people. You'll often find foreigners staying at the hostel on Melrose there as well.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    At work we had lunch catered from Bay Cities Deli yesterday. I don't know what you lot were going on about. My pastrami sandwich was worse that the shit they serve at Subway. The pastrami had no flavor, the bread was sopping wet from being doused in a bland italian seasoning and the cheese was a little off. Any good Jewish style/NY style delis in LA? Would love to get a tongue sandwich.
    I spent several years in NYC (great town) and haven't found even one that comes remotely close to this in LA

http://www.katzdeli.com/

I LOVE Los Angeles, but we just don't get deli right here imo. And nothing even close to Katz's. Plus ya got Russ and Daughters about a block and a half away from Katz' with the very best lox you could ever put on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. Gebus.

However we do get a lot of other things right here in LA. Sushi is a huge strength here. Japanese noodles in Little Tokyo are the best in the country. We definitely defeat the east coast in ANY type of Mexican cuisine. But deli? Nah. NYC kills us there.

Still, for a decent pastrami sandwich that won't kill you here, Johnnies in Culver City is alright. Good enough and open late after a concert at 2am in the morning. Really good cole slaw. Cash only.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnies-pas...nt-culver-city
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I spent several years in NYC (great town) and haven't found even one that comes remotely close to this in LA

http://www.katzdeli.com/

I LOVE Los Angeles, but we just don't get deli right here imo. And nothing even close to Katz's. Plus ya got Russ and Daughters about a block and a half away from Katz' with the very best lox you could ever put on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. Gebus.

However we do get a lot of other things right here in LA. Sushi is a huge strength here. Japanese noodles in Little Tokyo are the best in the country. We definitely defeat the east coast in ANY type of Mexican cuisine. But deli? Nah. NYC kills us there.

Still, for a decent pastrami sandwich that won't kill you here, Johnnies in Culver City is alright. Good enough and open late after a concert at 2am in the morning. Really good cole slaw. Cash only.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/johnnies-pas...nt-culver-city
    LANGERS BRO

LANGERS BRO
    It's ok. Not Katz's tho.

meat at katz's is a little better, but Langers; a better overall sandwich. langer's is a bit more cozy as well.

You guys are awesome. How do you know all these places? Do you spend all your disposable income on food?

So I'm in K'Town. Obviously, there are dozens of Korean BBQ places on every corner. Sometimes multiple Korean BBQ restaurants in one strip mall. I've been to two (the signs were completely in Korean so I have no idea what the names were) and they were absolutely dreadful. K'Town Korean BBQ restaurant recommendations?

i can't personally recommend any Korean BBQ but if you are in K Town you have to go here

http://www.yelp.com/biz/caffe-brass-...karaoke%20bars

It's one of the karaoke bars I actually like. Great atmosphere and fun crowd that treats the place like a nightclub. Big celebrity hangout apparently as well. manny pacquiao has his pictures all over the walls. apparently he used to hang out there before he got famous and still comes back every time he's in LA. A bouncer told me he always has his birthday party there
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Any good places to drink around The Wiltern?
    Anyone?

The. National. Is. COMING!

There's a korean pizza place a block or two west of the Wiltern on wilshire that has this sweet potato pizza that's worth a try. They have some drinks there as well. Not really a bar but if you haven't been it's one place at least.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Anyone?

The. National. Is. COMING!

I drive by the Wiltern every day. It's mainly a business district, not much nightlife. I think you're looking at HMS Bounty on Wilshire, but that's not exactly nearby (about a mile east on Wilshire) near the Gaylord Apartments.

Wurstkuche is only 15 minutes away (if that) from the Wiltern. Seriously thinking about ending both nights for MA there

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.153637&z=13

LANGERS BRO
    Best pastrami ive had they sell it twenty bux a pound

Paul is dead

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I spend entirely too much time at this place

http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com/

Doesn't help that I just bought a condo within walking distance of it. While it does not have hard liquor, I'd argue its on-tap German and Belgian beers alone make it worth the schlep. And as for the sausages... well, check the menu on the above link yourself. It's as spectacular as it sounds. Plus, I have met quite a few people there in the communal beer garden who I'm starting to think of as friends. Very interesting place.

I can't wait to try this place out. 3 veg. choices?!!! i never get more than one choice, if i'm lucky in a meat place
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The Abbey in WeHo.

GPS do you know if this is the same Abbey that was in San Diego? I checked the website but it didn't mention it. I loved the SD one, amazing food & owners
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Quote Originally Posted by karecares View Post
    I can't wait to try this place out. 3 veg. choices?!!! i never get more than one choice, if i'm lucky in a meat place
    Seriously, me too. I'm so excited to check this place out.

Okay, went by Wurstkuche today. Happened to be near downtown LA round noon today (Sunday) and went for it. The immediate area seems safe enough but wouldn't want to have my car break down three blocks away.

Anyway, at Noon-ish, it was relatively uncrowded and since I didn't want to drink that early, it was all about the food.

I decided to start simple and get the Hot Italian with carmelized onions and spicy peppers.

They grill the bun on the grill which I love. It gives the bun a crispy texture on the outside. The caramelized onions and spicy peppers were hot, but not mushy or liquidity. Definitely tasted like they were freshly made, not cooked hours before and then kept warm. I thought the sausage itself was spicy and not overpowering.

It was excellent although I will hold off on giving this place a rave review. That can only happen after many visits and at different times drinking various brews. I can see how there will be a line out the door with the slowness of ordering which, I guess, keeps a regulated flow of people into the place. I'm curious to see how it is when crowded.

BTW, I'm looking at the menu now. Here are the three vegetarian offerings:

Vegetarian Italian - Fennel, garlic, red peppers, and eggplant
    Vegetarian Smoked Apple Sage - Apples, Yukon Gold Potatoes, and rubbed sage
    Vegetarian Mexican Chipotle - Chipotle, chille di arbol peppers, garlic, and onions

I frequent Wurstkuche on the weekends and after like 7pm it starts filling up and it gets pretty packed after 8:30. Sometimes we have to wait to find an open space at the long tables but I think its worth it. Live dj at night but sometimes they really suck. I think you should go back to try their beer's, the food is pretty good but I definitely wouldn't go there to just eat. Definitely all about the beer menu and the german pub ambiance. Best experienced at night, in my opinion.

Although you made the Hot Italian sound incredible. I must try it now.
    waka waka

There are a few very good sausages at Wurstkuche. The Hot Italian is fantastic, as are the Austin Blues and the Louisiana Hot Link. They have a great hand with more classic sausages. I haven't tried the Chicken Apple, but I bet they do a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Chicken apple sucks. Austin blues is my favorite. I get mine with sweet peppers.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yeah there's a COunter in Sherman Oaks and it is INSANE. my boss took me for my birthday a month ago and my face exploded. It's also where I unexpectedly sat next to KroqKen, so that' an added bonus of the location.
    One opens here in Newport this summer...been keeping an eye out looking for some progress, seems like the sign has been up since last summer.