Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1078

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Birdie, the Faultline is actually one of the best bars. Best gay bar, but a bar nonetheless. Fun, great music, cheap drinks. Sorry that you hate gay people.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Sweet jesus, that website makes it so fucking difficult to figure out where the fuck the bar even is! Definitely a decent beer selection though.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

RE: anyone tried this place yet? (downtown, LA)
    http://213nightlife.com/canarumbar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I went there a few years ago and it was excellent. Really cool atmosphere, I was there during the week and it was calm and had a good, friendly group of people there, and the drinks were tasty.
    I've become a complete tiki drink /and rum snob over the last year and thus am super stoked to try anything new rum related or tiki bar related. (though sadly most tiki bars drinks do not measure up to home made). I can't wait to check it out.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

You ever been to Purple Orchid in El Segundo? I had some friends take me there a few years ago. Tiki bar that makes decent cocktails and does those huge bowls to share. It was a fun atmosphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

it's almost pointless to go anywhere else but Tiki Ti, but Tonga Hut in NoHo is pretty awesome as well.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Sweet jesus, that website makes it so fucking difficult to figure out where the fuck the bar even is! Definitely a decent bear selection though.
    fixed. also, it's on the corner of Melrose/Vermont, near LACC, just north of the 101.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Ha, well, i did eventually navigate my way to location page and found it before I posted that.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Birdie, the Faultline is actually one of the best bars. Best gay bar, but a bar nonetheless. Fun, great music, cheap drinks. Sorry that you hate gay people.
    Haha nice try.
    I was upset that there's a BRING A RANDY night.
    No one named Randy can be trusted.

I'm in So Cal for a couple of weeks. Supposed to do dinner with a few folks in or near Venice this week. I think I went to Venice 2 or 3 times when I lived in LA. Any recommendations? Preference for good beer/wine/cocktail selection and sharable foodstuff. I guess Santa Monica would work. TY.

Tried out Johnny's Bar in Highland Park, love the vibe. Everyone seems to know each other, felt really neighborhood-y because no one goes to Highland Park I'm sure. I would say 95% of the people who came in knew the bouncer as they all gave him hugs, talked to him for awhile, and he didn't ask for their IDs. The bar was clean, the drinks were strong, all in all it was a nice place to stop. Now when I take my dog for a walk down York, if Johnny's is open, the bouncer will say hi to me, too. Such a nice touch!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Roosterfish in Venice.

p.s. saw Daniel Craig in there once.
    Last edited by kvnty; 12-31-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    I'm in So Cal for a couple of weeks. Supposed to do dinner with a few folks in or near Venice this week. I think I went to Venice 2 or 3 times when I lived in LA. Any recommendations? Preference for good beer/wine/cocktail selection and sharable foodstuff. I guess Santa Monica would work. TY.
    I almost never go to that part of town, but I just had a great dinner at http://www.primitivowinebistro.com/ and it's exactly what you're looking for. Tapas and a huge wine menu. Also, I went to library Ale House in Santa Monica on Main for the first time the same night, and they have amazing beer, and the food is supposed to be really good too.
    last.fm

it's almost pointless to go anywhere else but Tiki Ti, but Tonga Hut in NoHo is pretty awesome as well.
    tonga hut is horrid. their drinks are horrid. i tried not once, not twice, but 3 times in disbelief that a place that cool looking could have such HORRID drinks. awful. terrible.

Tiki no (in north hollywood) just redid their drink menu recently and have a good amount of really decent options.
    Tiki ti's drinks are tasty but they all tasty pretty similar.

Finally tried cano rum bar last night. WIN WIN WIN.
    Also tried Honeycut a new bar downtown, also WIN WIN WIN.

I almost never go to that part of town, but I just had a great dinner at http://www.primitivowinebistro.com/ and it's exactly what you're looking for. Tapas and a huge wine menu. Also, I went to library Ale House in Santa Monica on Main for the first time the same night, and they have amazing beer, and the food is supposed to be really good too.
    Primitivo was perfect! Thanks, Drinkey.

Last Saturday night ThomThom and I stopped by Superba Snack Bar in Venice in hopes of trying their just-voted-#1-sandwich-in-LA Cubano:

but it was only on the lunch menu I'm guessing so we had their smoked bucatini carbonara and it was *sensational*, some of the most wonderful Al dente pasta I've had:

9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I've got a ton of ham so I'm going to make a batch of cubans up here soon. That looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've got a ton of ham so I'm going to make a batch of cubans up here soon. That looks great.
    Fantastic idea.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    tonga hut is horrid. their drinks are horrid. i tried not once, not twice, but 3 times in disbelief that a place that cool looking could have such HORRID drinks. awful. terrible.
    Apparently, Drinkey's taste in drinks is fucking pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I don't really drink cocktails, but I know a lot of people that really like their drinks. They have a really good reputation. I just drink beer. Tiki Ti is one of the only places I ever have cocktails of any kind. They have an amazing bloody mary.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered that they had new ownership in the last year. I was there for their 50 Anniversary Party several months ago, probably the first time in a year, and the decor was totally different. It used to have very sparse decorations, really only the big tiki and Drooling Bastard. They may hav started skimping on the recipes for the drinks since then.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 01-04-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    last.fm

I've been into watching Bar Rescue lately. They "renovated" a bar down the street from me (Canyon Inn in Orange County). Besides that I also watched the episode at Weber's in Reseda - to my understanding it's closed now. Unrelated: the pirate bar episode is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Avoid Garage Pizza on 7th/Main in downtown. Service is horrible.

I ate at Bestia last week and thought it was the best dining experience I've had in LA recently. Thought I'd share with you guys. A few notes:

Considering the quality, the prices are surprisingly moderate.

Service is good but there is no time they aren't slammed busy, so it feels sluggish at times. Servers were knowledgeable and friendly.

Interior is beautiful and well lit. They have an outdoor area I might try for next time around since inside felt a bit crowded.

Drinks were good but I was slightly irked they don't make martinis with olives. Lemon twist only for garnish. Minor complaint. Drink prices are about what you'd expect- $12 for cocktail, $8 for beer, etc.

Onto the food! I know this is damn rookie of me to take pics (look like you've been there before, blah blah), but I could not resist! The food is as tasty as it is well-presented. I did not get a photo of what I thought was the best dish I had that night... the Smoked Mackerel Crostino, burrata, tomato jam, sea salt! That dish is a must. Here's what I managed to snap

Salumi. chef’s selection of house-cured meats. pickles. mostarda. grilled bread

(quick note on this one- upper left corner, that's grilled chicken hearts spread on to one of the toast pieces. I thought this was second best thing I ate)

Veal Tartare Crostino. shallots. parsley. lemon. capers. tonnato sauce

Salsiccia. housemade lamb sausage. san marzano tomatoes. ricotta. mint.

Grilled Whole Orata. rapini ripassati. anchovy paste. dandelion greens
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 01-05-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    RE: anyone tried this place yet? (downtown, LA)
    http://213nightlife.com/canarumbar

I've become a complete tiki drink /and rum snob over the last year and thus am super stoked to try anything new rum related or tiki bar related. (though sadly most tiki bars drinks do not measure up to home made). I can't wait to check it out.
    Bharban Court 15 year is amazing on the rocks

There is a cigar bar/rum bar a little north on western after Santa Monica.
    If you're into rum, go here. You kind of have to do a lil research as its a bit of a speakeasy vibe.

You go into a normal apartment, thru a closet and then you're in a huge bar.
    Amazing rum and atmosphere, beautiful people everywhere with great open friendly attitudes

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I ate at Bestia last week and thought it was the best dining experience I've had in LA recently.
    Heck yeah, Mike! That place is so incredibly good. We sat outside the last time and it was really comfortable and not stuffy feeling. The Cavatelli alla Norcina (ingredients: ricotta dumplings, housemade pork sausage, black truffles, grana padano) is the dish I've had both times that's just incredible (not my pic):

9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

when did the "best LA bars" thread become the "best dead animals between slices of bread" thread?

I don't really drink cocktails
    Then shut up

II know a lot of people that really like their drinks.
    i feel sorry for anyone who thinks their drinks are good. They must not have had real good ones elsewhere yet. It's like someone saying how awesome mcdonalds is, having never eaten burgers anywhere else that has awesome burgers.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered that they had new ownership in the last year.
    Of the three times I have given that place a chance, once was a couple years ago, once was a year ago, and once was probably 6 months ago.

Tiki ti is way better if you're looking for a good introductory to tiki vibe cocktails.

I'm hopefully going back to CANA tonight. OMG their pumpkin colada is to die for. also recommend the Critical Hit. AND If you check in on foursquare, you get a free year membership. (save $20).

wait, this is the Tiki Ti you're talking about? I love this place. always go there when I see movies at Vista (make a night of it). Movie then Tiki then Akbar then _______________________________ ? rum is the best alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Heck yeah, Mike! That place is so incredibly good. We sat outside the last time and it was really comfortable and not stuffy feeling. The Cavatelli alla Norcina (ingredients: ricotta dumplings, housemade pork sausage, black truffles, grana padano) is the dish I've had both times that's just incredible (not my pic):
    Looks awesome Chris! I already have another res there with friends for early March. Can't wait- I'll give that one a try! Also want to try the bone marrow dish and the suckling pig.

Oh, and their latest "best dead animals between slices of bread" is gonna be a winner! (Best Bars in Los Angeles became Best Food and Drinks in Los Angeles a long time ago)
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

enjoy all the torture and suffering those animals went through to satisfy your selfish fat ass, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    wait, this is the Tiki Ti you're talking about? I love this place.
    yes that one. its one of the better options for rum/tiki cocktails. great for beginners.