Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Lurker

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The Abbey in WeHo.

Love, love, LOVE the Abbey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Why follow me around if you don't appreciate them?

I'm just kind of stoked that I finally found a forum with people whose opinions on music are of great value to me. There's a lot of questions I've always wanted to ask these kinds of people but never really had the chance to since most of my friends listen to vastly different music than myself. I think someone's taste in music can be a significantly determining factor in how they'll gel with others, so I'm curious to how those others feel about some things.

I won't be making anymore threads for awhile since I got most of those questions out of me, though I'm interested in what people think about this one.

who give a fuck if that whiney cunt gets mad that you made 9 threads in one week (i cant believe someone actually counts them). THey can get over it really.

I really like Red Lion in Silverlake, and Good Luck Bar can be fun, and so can the Ye Olde Rustic Inn (shit its been a minute since i have been there so the actual name escapes me now). Short Stop is fun too when it isnt overly packed with people with no sense of humor. Greg Dulli used to tend the bar there but didnt see him the last few times i went in there.

I would love to find more good bars but sadly I dont spend as much time in LA.
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

it's all about the powerhouse on hollywood and highland

they dont card

and you can see drunk asians perform karaoke
    Quote Originally Posted by MassonaBlackEyes View Post
    who the fuck quotes themselves in their sigs?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i have been VERY shitfaced at the Powerhouse. $3 pints of PBR.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Ever been to the (i think it is called) Sinaloa...or it could jsut be proud of where they are from..but it is behind the SMell. speaking of shitfaced druink for cheap...well they dont have ultra cool PBR but they had 1.75 coronas which is a pretty sweet deal...and it is a nice mexican tranny/whore bar
    "It's in the K" - Martha Stewart

Since the show list is very minimal...
    August 29 // Chemical Brothers w/ Chromeo & Yacht @ Hollywood Bowl
    September 26 // Vampire Weekend w/ Beach House & the Very Best @ Hollywood Bowl
    October 5 // ARCADE FIRE @ Henry Miller Library
    October 13 // Corin Tucker Band @ The El Rey
    (someone should give me Sufjan Stevens tickets, aint got none of those)

Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Co-workers were talking about this place today, they went on saturday and said it was excellent. They said they particularly liked the pig ears and rice pudding. I really want to try this place.
    I rocked it tonight and had both the pig ears and the rice pudding. Also tried a yellowtail dish, an asparagus dish, and a few other things. All the dishes were good and it's all what I would consider "community" food. The place is kinda pricey to be honest but our bill was a bit jacked up by the wine my wife and her friend ordered. I'd definitely go back. Very eclectic place. I still could not help but think about Daikokuya right around the corner though.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-05-2010 at 08:22 PM.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    the 7G guys are also suuuuper knowledgeable and love talking about whisky. I learn a lot when i go in there.
    what are some good whiskey mixed drinks?
    <schedule_2013>
    St Vincent 3/19, Cut Copy 3/31, The Knife 4/9, Mogwai 4/15, Pixies 4/17
    </schedule>

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    I am sure they have good mixed drinks, but i try to find a really good whiskey to drink neat or with some water. If I'm going to drink whiskey, I'd rather pay $15 for a glass of something REALLY good and drink it straight.

I totally could not name any names though. i just hang out at bars and go by the bartender's judgment, Most of the time it's not something I could just go to a store and buy anyway.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    Whiskey Sour or a Whiskey and water, like mentioned, is all i would recommend. Good whiskey is great just straight up.

The best whiskey mixed drinks are the Old Fashioned, the Sazerac, and the High Ball. They make a fantastic Highball at 7 Grand, and they use a killer ginger beer to really give it a kick. Old Fashioned is a good whiskey with a bitters-soaked sugar cube dropped in it. Delicious, although Cole's in Downtown makes it better than 7G
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

new place in downtown called Spring St, they have 26 domestic beers on tap. All range between 5 - 7 bux. Cant beat that.

I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled. Which brings me to my question. Best burger joints in LA? I'm in Koreatown, but let's not limit this to just one neighborhood. I've read some raves for Cassell's, but it looks like it's strictly a lunch establishment.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled.
    Doesn't she like gays?

I used to love the Hamburger Hamlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I used to work at Hamburger Mary's up in SF for several years in my "early" days in CA. Love that place.

For burgers, I am a fan of The Counter in Santa Monica. Their meat is quality. I do have to say though I am not the biggest fan of their atmosphere. Still recommended.

I guess like Aoki above I need a good burger recommendation in downtown. I got a lot of other food bases covered here but a good burger is one I am lacking.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

I was supposed to meet a friend at Hamburger Mary's tomorrow and she just canceled. Which brings me to my question. Best burger joints in LA? I'm in Koreatown, but let's not limit this to just one neighborhood. I've read some raves for Cassell's, but it looks like it's strictly a lunch establishment.
    Cassells is one of the best straightforward burgers I've had. They grind the meat there, and they get the buns fresh from a bakery every day. All they do is grill the burger and give you whatever cheese you want, and then you load up the condiments and veggies as you see fit (they're in a bar right by the register.) The burger itself is delicious, and the fries weren't bad either.

I'm a big fan of the Father's Office burger, but it's not really a hamburger in the way I think of a burger: more of a ground beef sandwich. They have a grilled onion/bacon compote on it that's insanely good.

The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular. Build your own burger joint.

Apple Pan has a good one as well, but they're a little small for the price.

Thanks, Bmack! You guys are better than Yelp!

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Doesn't she like gays?
    Ha ha ha! I didn't mention that my friend was Anita Bryant?

Any thoughts on Irv's Burgers? The Yelp reviews are almost universally positive (nay, ecstatic!) but they're more about the service than the burger itself. I just happen to be in that neighborhood tomorrow, but these recommendations from all over LA are most welcome.

The big advantage of Cassell's for you (and me, since I live right on the other side of Vermont from K-town) is that you can probably walk to it, since parking there is a bitch.

I remember the onion rings more than the burgers at Irv's. They were really good.

The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular

Ocean Park is the street actually. It's right across the street from where I work.

I'm not really a big Apple Pan fan. A bit overrated if you ask me. I still need to check out Father's Office for various reasons.

I should mention that I remembered The Cork over on Hope Street (bottom floor of Evo South) has a really good burger. They also have a killer cheese/charcuterie platter.

Ha ha ha! I didn't mention that my friend was Anita Bryant?
    Zing!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Cassell's is so great

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

The Counter's becoming a chain I guess, but I know that the original one on Ocean Walk is pretty spectacular. Build your own burger joint.
    Yeah there's a COunter in Sherman Oaks and it is INSANE. my boss took me for my birthday a month ago and my face exploded. It's also where I unexpectedly sat next to KroqKen, so that' an added bonus of the location.
    last.fm

Sorry, have I derailed this thread? We definitely have veered into all kinds of culinary areas outside of the "bars" description. Ah well. I'd also like to solicit LA recommendations for Chinese, Thai, Pan-Asian and Indian restaurants. Good Indian food was hard to come by in San Diego. I'm hoping it's better in LA. What you got?
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 05-09-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Annapurna on Venice in Culver City serves solid South Indian veg food. it's reasonably priced and does the trick when i'm craving curry but am too lazy to cook. that area on Venice has a small cluster of South Asian grocery stores and restaurants actually.

the "Little India of SoCal" is on Pioneer Blvd in Artesia. a bit of a drive, but there are a whole lot of Indian and Pakistani restaurants there.
    Last edited by bleep; 05-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Sorry, have I derailed this thread? We definitely have veered into all kinds of culinary areas outside of the "bars" description. Ah well. I'd also like to solicit LA recommendations for Chinese, Thai, Pan-Asian and Indian restaurants. Good Indian food was hard to come by in San Diego. I'm hoping it's better in LA. What you got?
    there's an LA food thread somewhere around here.

There are a million little Thai places in LA. I've been to so many. I really like Saladang and Saladang Song, sister restaurants right next to each other. Different menus and atmosphere, both are excellent. Saladang Song in particular is really nice and romantic at night. These are in Pasadena

Also of note is Toi on Sunset, sort of a hipster rock and roll Thai place. I know that probably made you roll your eyes, but when you are craving good Thai food at 2:30am, it's the place to go. I think it's open till 4am, sunset blvd past La Brea. GOod service, surprisingly great Thai food with good vegetarian options. It's all rock and Roll theme, Bowie and punk rock constantly blast from the speakers, old rock posters all over the wall. ANd you are encouraged to graffitti all over the bathroom so don't forget your sharpie.

There's a great Thai desert place right in Thai town, which is East Hollywod. Hit up Jumbos and walk down a block for some great thai sweets

For Indian I would recommend this place in Glendale:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/indias-flavo...r%20of%20India

it can hold maybe 20 people, just a little family owned place in a strip mall. Excellent authentic indian-pakistani food, big menu and great prices/portions. I live like a mile away and go there quite frequently

There's also a little Thai place down the street from that Indian place that I love. Just a sweet old Thai lady whipping up awesome plates of noodles and curry for 5 bucks.

Getting back to bars, I just went to the Cha Cha room last night for the first time. Really dug it! Good crowd and music, and actually more ladies then men. Rare in LA bars it seems
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 05-09-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Back to alcohol- you really owe it to yourselves to get over to the Tiki Ti at least once in your life. The place has big, fruity drinks that will knock you on your ass (ask me how I know). It's not very big inside, they're "cash only", and the crowds and wait can be a bit of a pain. It is still quite the experience

http://www.tiki-ti.com/

Thanks for the Asian tips, people. Tiki Ti looks like fun, sonnyboy. Any recommended drinks?

Zombie and Ray's Mistake. Just... don't get fooled by the luverly fruity taste.

I'd like to try that Space Pilot. Big fan of dark rum. Get that one too if you go and let me know what you think.

The best Chinese food is apparently in San Gabriel valley, but I really like JR Bistro in Chinatown. They have really awesome prices, some fantastic more americanized dishes and a good selection of traditional Chinese plates as well.

Also, Yang Chow is worth trying just for the slippery shrimp. That dish is phenomenally amazing. Likewise in Chinatown. We always get the Peking duck as well, and it never disappoints.

Jaipur in Westwood is some pretty excellent Indian food. It's a tad bit pricey, but the quality is very high. My Indian roommate would always take me there when his parents came to town, and they are very particular about their food, so that speaks well for it.

Another Indian restaurant that they took me to, and probably the best Indian food I've found in LA, is Paru's in Hollywood. It's on Sunset, and from the outside it looks super sketchy (there are bars on the windows and you have to buzz to get in). On the inside it's a really nice homestyle kitchen and they only serve vegetarian south indian dishes. Their dosa is incredible. Definitely worth trying.

There's an indian place in Silverlake where you have to like sit down cross-legged. They have no air conditioning so the heat+curry is like sweat extreme. Kind of uncomfortable but the food is amazing. I'm not even sure it's there anymore.

There's also a bar on Hyperion in Silverlake.. Hyperion Tavern? It's not even a building it's like a bar built into a house almost. It's got Rock Band Wednesday nights. It's not for everyone, but if you play it's pretty fun to go to.

yeah, Hyperion Tavern. It's a cool place.