Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I have a bunch of friends that have been going on and on about Don Cuco's taco truck in Sylmar. i really need to check that out soon.

Also, Cactus Taqueria on Vine between Santa Monica and Melrose and Casita's in Burbank are two of my favorite small shops. Om nom noms
    this sounds like a good post-Amoeba trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

Cactus on Vine has been one of my go-to taco shops for almost ten years. They make incredible al pastor when it's fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Where is the King Eddy or Bar 107

If any of you are looking at a place to hang before shows at the Ech/Echoplex, I recommend El Prado

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-prado-los-angeles

Ended up there last night before This Will Destroy You/APTBS show. It's all wine/beer (no hard liquor) and a small food menu. Booze selection is not huge but what they had was excellent and priced about $7 a glass. Dark atmosphere and not the widest room around, but it was buzzing. And what I really liked is the tunes- they are spinning a lot of cool vinyl. It made for a really mellow time and I'll definitely go back.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Where is the King Eddy or Bar 107
    I went to King Eddie's Saloon for the first time during the Beerathon. it was full of local day-drinkers who were quite confused about what's going on. It's a proper grimy dive, but not in a neighborhood I frequent. Bar 107 is also fun, but same. i wouldn't go out of my way to drive to either, but if I was walking distance I'd go to both.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    If any of you are looking at a place to hang before shows at the Ech/Echoplex, I recommend El Prado

Ended up there last night before This Will Destroy You/APTBS show. It's all wine/beer (no hard liquor) and a small food menu. Booze selection is not huge but what they had was excellent and priced about $7 a glass. Dark atmosphere and not the widest room around, but it was buzzing. And what I really liked is the tunes- they are spinning a lot of cool vinyl. It made for a really mellow time and I'll definitely go back.
    That place is owned by the people who run the Echo apparently. They also own the building that houses Origami records, and every Tuesday night Origami has a record club there where people can bring albums, listen to everyone's choices and drink. It always sounds awesome, and I"m always busy on Tuesday nights. Maybe this next one, though.

Yes! I've been there pre-Echo/Echoplex shows many a time. Great tunes, and they have a seriously good beer selection. A nice strong Alligash White is always a great way to start the night.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Anyone done Lazy Ox recently? Their new exec chef's been in place for several mos now, right? Wondering how the place is doing. Do they still have those glorious pig ears?

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Anyone done Lazy Ox recently? Their new exec chef's been in place for several mos now, right? Wondering how the place is doing. Do they still have those glorious pig ears?
    Just did it 3 weeks ago. Much of the menu is the same as before. Yes, pig ears are still there although for some reason we did not get them this time around. We were also too late to score one of the coveted fish collars. That aside, I really loved the farro dish. We inhaled a beef carpaccio w/pecarino plate. And the niman ribeye with bone marrow was incredible as always. The only dish that fell a little flat was the okra. Still a favorite spot of mine after all this time.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Can someone explain to me exactly what the appeal of the fish collar is? I like fish, but the collar seems far too bony to me to be fully appealing

Mas Malo was pretty good. Nothing earth shattering, but very well made "gourmet" Mexican -- was enjoyed by all. Never tried the violet macarons at Bottega Louie before. OH LORD. Heaven. Easily surpassing my old favorite, the Earl Grey Milk Chocolate flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Can someone explain to me exactly what the appeal of the fish collar is? I like fish, but the collar seems far too bony to me to be fully appealing
    fat + a suprising amount of meat. tres delicious.

yeah. super meaty, not bony at all. Tuna collar is one of the best things I have ever eaten in my life. That and halibut cheek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Hoping to check out one or all 4 of these places whil doing Make Music Pasadena on Saturday. Should be fun!

http://congregationalehouse.com/cong...ale-house.html
    http://www.kingsrowpub.com/
    http://www.havengastropub.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/barneys-limited-pasadena
    last.fm

Don't forget to try and dip into LB for some amazing Belgiums and IPA's while catching some Euro Cup before the music http://www.luckybaldwins.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Hoping to check out one or all 4 of these places whil doing Make Music Pasadena on Saturday. Should be fun!

http://congregationalehouse.com/cong...ale-house.html
    http://www.kingsrowpub.com/
    http://www.havengastropub.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/barneys-limited-pasadena
    Concert Schedule
    Dips All Day Everyday.
    http://instagram.com/moviebruin

Yeah, Lucky Baldwin's was a regulare pub for me years ago when i used to spend a lot of time in Pasadena. They're doing IPA fest right now, so I definitely want to stop by there too.
    last.fm

Brief, interesting article about Angel City brewing

http://blogdowntown.com/2012/06/6817...-loves-brewing

I walked by it on the way to the train yesterday and there was some serious work going on inside in terms of construction. I'm still holding out hope that this place will eventually be the local brewery I can reliably get growlers filled up on with fresh beer. And it really is a nice space inside.

Brief, interesting article about Angel City brewing

http://blogdowntown.com/2012/06/6817...-loves-brewing

I walked by it on the way to the train yesterday and there was some serious work going on inside in terms of construction. I'm still holding out hope that this place will eventually be the local brewery I can reliably get growlers filled up on with fresh beer. And it really is a nice space inside.
    I drive by this and always wonder what it is. I hope it all works out for them.

Kings Row in Pasadena is a nice place.

Spring St. Bar dudes bought the King Edward. Fucking bullshit. Although as a non-crack addicted white person who lives east of Los Angeles St., I should probably blame myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Mas Malo was pretty good. Nothing earth shattering, but very well made "gourmet" Mexican -- was enjoyed by all. Never tried the violet macarons at Bottega Louie before. OH LORD. Heaven. Easily surpassing my old favorite, the Earl Grey Milk Chocolate flavor.
    If you like macarons you need to go to Lette in LA, Beverly Hills, or Pasadena. Their macarons destroy Bottega Louie's.

http://www.lettemacarons.com/

I think Paulette's macarons are the best I've tried. There is one in the Little Tokyo mall. The coconut one.. omg.

Edit: Looks like Paulette is now lette. Woops.
    Last edited by mmsk123; 06-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.

I had the best burger of my life tonight with ThomThom at Rustic Canyon in Santa Monica.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Looks delish. Better than Umami?

Without a doubt.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Without a doubt.
    Niice I gotta try it then. However $18 for a burger is a bit much. But that's coming from a 24 year old college student that works part-time lol.

I just had the most divine sandwich at my first visit to Mendocino Farms in Marina Del Rey. Got the prosciutto and roasted chicken sandwich, absolutely incredible. Got the Steak BLT to go, gonna have it for dinner.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh yeah I really like Mendocino Farms. Isn't there one in Manhattan Beach, too? Probably a lot closer for you Chris. And their steak banh mi... drool.

Edit: Hmm guess not, thought there was though.

I go to Manhattan Beach all the time, so I enjoyed the drive. Any excuse to go up toward MDR/Venice/Santa Monica is a good one.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The Summer Cubano that they're doing right now is delightful.

I'm gonna have to go back this weekend. The Shrimp Po Boy that is apparently for a limited time sounds amazing too.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare