Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You know, this is one thread that you don't have be a giant dick in. The rest of us are enjoying talking about having a good time.
    Lol. This is probably my favorite thread on the board and I don't even live in LA. I'm hoping the Monday night between Amon and Portishead I'll be able to hit one of these spots.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

If we like it, and I'm sure we will, we'll be going back plenty. it's seriously like 4 blocks from her apartment. I can't wait to eat duck fat.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

K-TOWN— On August 28 Beer Belly is holding an event titled Craft for Crap and here's how it works. Pick a friend of yours that doesn't necessarily like craft beer, raid said friend's fridge and bring to Beer Belly whatever crap beer you can find. Give the crap beer to a Beer Belly bartender and he/she will trade you one of the following brews from Cismontane: Citizen (Steam Lager), Black's Dawn (Imperial Stout), or Coulter IPA. [EaterWire]

Pretty sure I have a can of Miller in my fridge somewhere...
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

That's an awesome event. I went to Beer Belly last night and it's pretty neat. it's very small. The catfish and chips and the grilled cheese were both great. I had the Black Market Brown from the tap, and a bottle of the Stone collaboration Cheery Chocolate Stout. Wow, that beer has a lot of fucking flavor.

As long as they change the tap list often, because they have a pretty small amount of taps and carry some pretty wild beers, this place is going to rule.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Ooh. Good to know, Drinkey. Did you try the duck fat fries?

I did not...I wasn't really hungry enough and my girlfriend is a vegetarian so she wouldn't be able to help. While there though, i saw for $2 more you can add "Death By Duck" which is duck confit right on top of the fries. Yum. Will try leater.

Going to happy hour for a b-day party for my gf's coworker today at Public School 612. Pretty nice gastropub attached to the Daily Grill.
    http://www.publicschool612.com/
    last.fm

You know, this is one thread that you don't have be a giant dick in. The rest of us are enjoying talking about having a good time.
    Then stop giving shitty information to tourists. Timmy Nolan's? You'd really tell someone with 0 LA know-how to go to a bar in Toluca Lake frequented by old men who drink too much? The fact that it's a Bears bar makes it worse, the worst people in LA are movie industry transplants.

On the flip side, Beer Belly is off the hook. The duck fat fries made me feel like the fattest piece of shit but so worth it, and their beer selection is very good (albeit small). Plus, it's in Koreatown, real LA, and it's run by 2 K-Town locals. It's also next to Frank N Hanks which is a great local dive to hit when you're done with BB.

It was an answer to someone specifically looking for a Bears bar.
    last.fm

And to add, the best sports bar to be social at in Hollywood is Hollywood Billiards. It's spaced out so the fans of different teams spread into their own mini-sections. There's a pretty big contingent for every team, the biggest being the Raiders and Cowboys. Plus it's a lot easier to get a drink there than Wangs or Dillons.

And I don't mean to be a dick, but most people who hate going to LA do so because of bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    And to add, the best sports bar to be social at in Hollywood is Hollywood Billiards. It's spaced out so the fans of different teams spread into their own mini-sections. There's a pretty big contingent for every team, the biggest being the Raiders and Cowboys. Plus it's a lot easier to get a drink there than Wangs or Dillons.

And I don't mean to be a dick, but most people who hate going to LA do so because of bad advice.
    hollywood billiards was fun...either for a few rounds of pool before heading to jumbo's or catching a game...but it's now closed.

in its stead is http://spot5750.com/ not on my list of places to check out...
    ))<>((

Quote Originally Posted by reverb View Post
    hollywood billiards was fun...but it's now closed.
    crushed
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

I finally made it to Mohawk bend last night and absolutely loved it. Got there around 6:30pm and was sat immediately. The wait staff was awesome and super attentive. the space is amazing. We had flat bread with tapinade which was good, and I had a pound of the mussels and they were fucking delicious! The tap list was not blowing my mind despite having 70+ beers on it, but all 3 I had were good. The two cocktails my girlfriend had were out of this world good though! I'll be returning as often as I can, especially with the daily-changing menu (both food and beer).
    last.fm

That sounds awesome Drinkey. I'll check it out. I'm always amazed how fast a full pound of mussels goes when done right.

Btw, haven't checked in much on the FYF thread but was thinking to maybe hit Wurstkuche either before or after (first band I want to see is OTC, lsat is EitS). If anyone's down make a suggestion for timing. Wurstkuche only a few blocks from FYF.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

hmm i'm getting there probably right at noon and will probably be ready to crash at the end of the day. A bunch of us are going to pre-party at Blue Palms on Friday night around 7pm if you want to join though!
    last.fm

Thanks for that! That's the place with the truffle burger, right? Will keep it in mind.

Yea, figured most boardies would get there at the start of the fest but OTC just seemed a good point to kick things off for me. I can walk to the whole deal though so probably will end up there earlier. Really looking forward to the whole day!

Just look at them...
    last.fm

Oh lord...

Quote Originally Posted by reverb View Post
    hollywood billiards was fun...either for a few rounds of pool before heading to jumbo's or catching a game...but it's now closed.

in its stead is http://spot5750.com/ not on my list of places to check out...
    I leave LA for a year, come back to find this and my favorite taco truck closed.

Fucked up!

PS if you guys go to Beer Belly, don't pay cash if you start a tab. I made this mistake and the hold is still on my account 5 days after.

not in l.a., but went to my old watering hole, the little knight, which is down the street from my house last night for the first time in probably nearly a decade. still the best jukebox ever. and even better? hot early to mid 20 year old chicks busting out black flag, dk, and other old school shiz and singing along. i fell in love multiple times last night.

I finally made it to Mohawk bend last night and absolutely loved it. Got there around 6:30pm and was sat immediately. The wait staff was awesome and super attentive. the space is amazing. We had flat bread with tapinade which was good, and I had a pound of the mussels and they were fucking delicious! The tap list was not blowing my mind despite having 70+ beers on it, but all 3 I had were good. The two cocktails my girlfriend had were out of this world good though! I'll be returning as often as I can, especially with the daily-changing menu (both food and beer).
    I don't know. I was really excited to go there but I ended up not loving it. The food was good, the beer was better, but the atmosphere reminded me too much of that episode of The Simpsons where Moe changes the bar into M, this post-modern hipster shit palace. But still the vegan pizza was tasty.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman
    Lingo, shut the fuck up. You look like a goddamn cancer patient and your analogy is idiotic. Also, The Black Keys are unlistenable garbage, you unbelievable fucking dork.

1/18 Volcano Choir - The Fonda
    1/22 Vampire Weekend - USC
    2/14 Spiritualized - Ace Hotel
    3/8 Mark Kozelek - First Unitarian Church
    3/18 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall
    3/19 Kraftwerk - Walt Disney Concert Hall

www.facebook.com/mlingo

http://www.last.fm/group/Coachella+Forum

If you ever went inside Stinker's Truck Stop, you will know that Mohawk Bend doesn't come close to being a hipster shit palace.
    last.fm

Mohawk Bend was ALOT better the second and third time around.
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole.Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    not in l.a., but went to my old watering hole, the little knight, which is down the street from my house last night for the first time in probably nearly a decade. still the best jukebox ever. and even better? hot early to mid 20 year old chicks busting out black flag, dk, and other old school shiz and singing along. i fell in love multiple times last night.
    The Knight is my go to spot for a quick drink after work.

A-Frame = small portions of oversauced/overseasoned food for beaucoup dollars

Just look at them...
    Those look like Umami burgers on steroids. Nice!

I leave LA for a year, come back to find this and my favorite taco truck closed.

Fucked up!
    Try El Flamin Taco. Really great carne asada. The lengua tacos are really nice too. They're open all night Tuesday-Sunday.

I went to El Flamin' Taco after FYF, its ok, doesn't compare to El Chato on Olympic/LaBrea, nothing does
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 - 1, 2013 - 1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

5.4 El Ten Eleven
    5.11 Jim James
    6.1 Make Music Pasadena
    8.25-26 FYF Fest
    10.15-20 CMJ

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Timmy Nolans is great, but it's not anywhere near walking distance to the Bowl. You could very quickly drive to the Universal Metro Station in about 3 minutes though. I don't know if Mark is going to have a car.

EDIT: i mention the Metro because driving directly to the Bowl is not something I WOULD EVER DO.
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I think i'm going with Dillon's. Is there a place to park there and leave the car until after the concert? I'm not driving but my roommate is and we both want to drink and watch football. You're obviously welcome to join us.

Funny you say that Drinkey, I parked in the Hollywood Bowl parking lot all three times i've gone. I was amazed at how fast I got out of that lot the first two times. About 15 minutes. The last time I sat for a good hour though.

Dillon's has valet you should be able to use all night for pretty cheap. It's not too hard to find street parking around there either.

EDIT: if I end up deciding to go to the show, i'll def meet you guys at Dillon's!
    last.fm

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Sounds good.