Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    The Standard Hotel's rooftop bar is definitely worth checking out for the stunning view. You're cocooned by some of the tallest skyscrapers in LA. Be warned: overpriced drinks, so-so dj's. Usually a surprisingly nice and relaxed crowd up there, though. And, again, the setting is stunning.
    Seriously? So-So DJS? On a sunday? the Culprit sessions party generally gets some solid acts. Three was just there last month. Matt Tolfrey, Jamie Jones, Lee Curtis, Martin Buttrich & Lee Foss are all coming in a month or two.

My only complaint is that my work schedule doesn't allow me to make it to these events except on a very rare occasion.

Good to know, Spiggums. I've only taken people there on a Friday or Saturday and every time we've gone it's been the same experience. Amazing views, great atmosphere, nice people, over-priced drinks and abysmal dj's; "so so" would be generous. I guess Sunday is the night to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Good to know, Spiggums. I've only taken people there on a Friday or Saturday and every time we've gone it's been the same experience. Amazing views, great atmosphere, nice people, over-priced drinks and abysmal dj's; "so so" would be generous. I guess Sunday is the night to go.
    oh that makes sense then... I just assumed that you meant sundays cause they were asking about sundays.

On a tangential note. Anyone check out Hemingway's at Hollywood & Ivar? I can imagine it's obnoxious on the weekend, but Wednesday nights are really dope there. Free entry w/ RSVP (http://www.giantclub.com/soulpurpose/), decent mix of people, Drinks aren't crazy expensive, but not cheap (beer is $6 or $7 depending on what you get, I've bought some pretty decent level scotch for $12). DJs playing a pretty good mix of tunes ranging from soul to house to some old school hip hop... all of it chill and funky. Unannounced guests in the decks week to week (last two weeks had Cosmic Kids and Josh One behind the decks, first two weeks were just the residents)

Been going to this pretty much each Wednesday since they started running it. Great chill mid-week spot. And I love the decor in the place.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    It's in a good location where you can get a good beer then walk to laemmle playhouse to sober up.
    It's in Pasadena. 2 strikes right there.

So when's Martin Buttrich going to be at the Culprit sessions?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Went to the new spot in Echo Park owned by the Tony's Darts Away folks called Mohawk Bend (on Sunset & Mohawk) and it was what I expected it to be, a cluster fuck with a shit load of good beer on tap and pretty decent upscale bar food that is modestly priced. The main attraction here is the women, there were ALOT of women. This place also should be a good alternative to the typically douchebag filled Barney's chains for game watching.

I probably won't be back unless I feel like leaving my place to watch a game, am invited to some random birthday party, or a meet up of some sorts before heading elsewhere, the place is too much of a headache, almost felt like I was at a Cheesecake Factory on graduation day for local high schools. Also, they text message you when your table is ready.

I will stick with the more subtle beer bars in the area. On that note, has anybody tried Beer Belly in K-Town???
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have been waiting for Mohawk Bend to open for so long, but i just can't go hang with those crowds. i'm hoping they expand to daytime hours soon.

And that Beer Belly, WTF. Is that new? It's like 4 blocks from my girlfriend' place. That looks AWESOME!
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post

I will stick with the more subtle beer bars in the area. On that note, has anybody tried Beer Belly in K-Town???
    Check back in thread a bit or search it. I think someone here hit it up and liked. Need to get there myself.

Finally had some Xlixe pizza the other day. Margherita was excellent. Nice chewy crust. Place has small but good beer selection and their own growlers (something the place across the street, Angel City- an actual brewery- just can't seem to muster up months after opening)
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Went to the new spot in Echo Park owned by the Tony's Darts Away folks called Mohawk Bend (on Sunset & Mohawk) and it was what I expected it to be, a cluster fuck with a shit load of good beer on tap and pretty decent upscale bar food that is modestly priced. The main attraction here is the women, there were ALOT of women. This place also should be a good alternative to the typically douchebag filled Barney's chains for game watching.

I probably won't be back unless I feel like leaving my place to watch a game, am invited to some random birthday party, or a meet up of some sorts before heading elsewhere, the place is too much of a headache, almost felt like I was at a Cheesecake Factory on graduation day for local high schools. Also, they text message you when your table is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I have been waiting for Mohawk Bend to open for so long, but i just can't go hang with those crowds. i'm hoping they expand to daytime hours soon.

And that Beer Belly, WTF. Is that new? It's like 4 blocks from my girlfriend' place. That looks AWESOME!
    it just opened not long ago so i'm sure it's just getting the "new restaurant" crowd too. It's walking distance to the echo (3 blocks or so?). i'll probably hit it up before the Austra show in November, but i'll try to get there before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/23 IAMX@Glass House - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/26 IAMX@Complex - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

Yeah, it's been open for less than 2 weeks and the anticipation was EXTREMELY high. i'm a regular of Tony's, Blue palms, and the ColLAboration Beer Gardens and have been following the whole process. There's been reports of regular 2-hours wait times for tables and ridiculous lines for beers thus far.

oh well, I can wait longer. And yes, it being right next to the Echo is very exciting. That area needed a really nice pre/after show hang out spot.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

If I were going to the echo I would stick with the more intimate and laid back vibe at El Prado and just grab a slice at Two Boots as opposed to hitting up Mohawk Bend to be honest, but that's just me.

If I were going to the echo I would stick with the more intimate and laid back vibe at El Prado and just grab a slice at Two Boots as opposed to hitting up Mohawk Bend to be honest, but that's just me.
    agreed, but it's good to have options. last few times i've been to the echo, Two Boots has been hella crowded and there's nowhere to sit or stand. It's too bad Pescado Mojado closes early, i love the sopa there.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/23 IAMX@Glass House - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/26 IAMX@Complex - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So when's Martin Buttrich going to be at the Culprit sessions?
    October 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Yup. Opened a few weeks ago. Looking forward to checking it out in the coming weeks. Let us know what you think if you end up going.

El Carmen-Mexican food and Tequila bar
    I dig this place. Happy Hour 5-7 on weekdays will get you a $4 margarita, $4 nacho plate, or quesadillas. Their tequila list huge...I've been into spicy drinks lately and their jalapeno margarita did the trick.
    The ambiance is one of the main reasons to go. It's small, (really) dark, intimate, and covered with lucha libre masks and art all over.
    If you're going with a group, best make a reservation just in case.
    FYF 08/23-08/24
    Chvrches 09/19
    Banks 10/16
    Digitalism 11/08

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Closest bar to the Hollywood Bowl that will be showing NFL games? I am looking to watch the Bears game prior to The National concert on 9/11. A mile or less distance would be great.

The highlands up on the top floor of hollywood/highland complex *might*. Not sure if they show NFL games.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Closest bar to the Hollywood Bowl that will be showing NFL games? I am looking to watch the Bears game prior to The National concert on 9/11. A mile or less distance would be great.
    Maybe the Powerhouse on Hollywood and Highland? Dillon's on Hollywood and Vine certainly will. You can take a 1 minute metro ride from there to hollywood/highland then walk up top the bowl.
    last.fm

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Right on! Thanks guys.

Everybody should go to Beer Belly, the food concoctions are out of this world especially the grilled cheese which comes drizzled with maple syrup on french toast bread and thick cut maple cured bacon and their duck confit duck fat fries with raspberry sauce, centralized location, good crowd, you can play your own music via their downloadable iphone app jukebox, beer selection is fantastic had Blue House IPA, some great Eagle Rock Brewery selections, a stellar Stone 15th anniversary Black IPA, and the staff is unbelievably accommodating.

GO NOW!

FYI- They have something there called a "Beer Flight" which allows you to sample 4 taps of your choice for $9.00 which is a great fucking deal. Also, this place is a MUST if you like Asian women... Just sayin'.

You got me convinced! May try to get there tomorrow.

There's a free block party at Toy/Biscuit lofts over on Mateo if anyone's looking for something to do. DJs, food trucks, beer gardens etc. I just came home for a bit and may go back. Not the best set I've seen but, hey, it's free entry so there ya go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=34...7&vpsrc=0&z=17
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Fantastic review Sasha! i'm planning on going to Beer belly sometime this week.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Timmy Nolans isn't that far and I believe it's crawling with a pretty good Bears contingency.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Timmy Nolans is great, but it's not anywhere near walking distance to the Bowl. You could very quickly drive to the Universal Metro Station in about 3 minutes though. I don't know if Mark is going to have a car.

EDIT: i mention the Metro because driving directly to the Bowl is not something I WOULD EVER DO.
    last.fm

Sports bar near Hollywood Bowl - go to Dillon's. Big Wangs has become a ginormous douche-fest, and Dillons has cheap beer and good food. Powerhouse doesn't have the NFL package and isn't really a sports spot anyway. No need for Metro, it's a 10 minute walk from Hollywood/Highland to Hollywood/Vine.

Timmy Nolan's is for valley townies and old men with drinking problems. Avoid the 818 altogether, it's hot and full of shitty people and bad LA cliches.

You know, this is one thread that you don't have be a giant dick in. The rest of us are enjoying talking about having a good time.
    last.fm

The only reason I mentioned Timmy Nolan's is my Bears friend goes there to watch games and says there is a decent amount of other Bears fans as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Totally. Tin Horn Flats in Burbank is another Chicago sports bar. Actually, it's just a good place to hang out with people from Chicago in general, it's a known hang out spot for transplant Chicagoans.
    last.fm

My girlfriend and I are for sure going to Beer Belly tomorrow night if anybody wants to meet up.
    last.fm

I may be interested. I may be getting money tomorrow, so it'll depend on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****