Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Did Wood & Vine last night in Hollywood. Near Hollywood & Vine (naturally). Was absolutely fantastic. Very simple menu. Some lovely cocktails, beers and wines. A fine selection of charcuterie and cheeses and a 8 or 9 small plates perfect for splitting with a group. Highlights...

The Potted Foie Gras - some of the most wonderfully rich and surprisingly complex foie gras I've ever tasted; no lectures, please.
    Heirloom Tomato Salad - farm fresh ingredients, nicely balanced.
    Fried Chicken and Waffles with maple glazed squash and sage butter - as good as it sounds.
    Grilled Scallops - served with truffled grits - wow!

I'm sure their desserts are great too, but we were too stuffed to even attempt it.

I was really disappointed with Wood & Vine. Like they were presented as a bar with a focus on whiskey, and their whiskey list is weak to say the least. To be fair, I had dinner prior to going there, so I can not comment on their food. Their patio is a dope little area though.

what should i be checking out downtown tonight by bloomfest/wurtkuche?

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    I was really disappointed with Wood & Vine. Like they were presented as a bar with a focus on whiskey, and their whiskey list is weak to say the least. To be fair, I had dinner prior to going there, so I can not comment on their food. Their patio is a dope little area though.

Really? This is how they describe themselves on the website. No mention of whiskey:
    A Hollywood bar and restaurant featuring local small batch wines and beers, classic cocktails, and seasonal shared plates

The food was fantastic. As for drinks, we stuck to the Happy Hour (11pm-2am) cocktails which were all excellent. We tried the Watermelon Caipirinha, Gin & Roses and The Accomplice.

I spend most of my time in Santa Barbara, so when I come back to LA I never know where to go. Any suggestions for bars around Pasadena?

I'm a big fan of Verdugo bar in Eagle Rock but I'd love to check out some others. Good beer is a major plus.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Lucky Baldwins is one of the best bars in L.A. and it's right in Pasadena! There's a Barney's Beanery in Pasadena too, and those are always fun with a huge beer selection. Also, the Yardhouse. Or the Old Towne Pub. Fuck, Pasadena's a fun town.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by iammrcandyman View Post
    I spend most of my time in Santa Barbara, so when I come back to LA I never know where to go. Any suggestions for bars around Pasadena?

I'm a big fan of Verdugo bar in Eagle Rock but I'd love to check out some others. Good beer is a major plus.
    i like my bars divey...and the colorado is just my speed

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-colorado-bar-pasadena
    ))<>((

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Lucky Baldwins is one of the best bars in L.A. and it's right in Pasadena! There's a Barney's Beanery in Pasadena too, and those are always fun with a huge beer selection. Also, the Yardhouse. Or the Old Towne Pub. Fuck, Pasadena's a fun town.
    Meh, not really.

Pasadena's a not as boring as it used to be town.
    Fixed.

http://la.eater.com/archives/2011/08...nd_opening.php

Got a soft opening today in Little Tokyo for Xlixe. Eclectic pizza kitchen. Rabbit and persimmon topping? I'm in! And for all you farkers attending FYF Fest, this place is walking distance from the show.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Went and had drinks at Perch last Friday - it's on the roof top of a 15-story building nat Pershing Square in downtown L.A. It has a great open air indoor area and is mostly patio-seating. the view and the ambiance are absolutely gorgeous. It's expensive. i only had drinks, but they fancy themselves a French restaurant. it's a great place to have a drink or two next to a fire pit on top of a beautiful rooftop in L.A.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/perch-los-angeles
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Went and had drinks at Perch last Friday - it's on the roof top of a 15-story building nat Pershing Square in downtown L.A. It has a great open air indoor area and is mostly patio-seating. the view and the ambiance are absolutely gorgeous. It's expensive. i only had drinks, but they fancy themselves a French restaurant. it's a great place to have a drink or two next to a fire pit on top of a beautiful rooftop in L.A.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/perch-los-angeles
    Thanks for the review. I've heard about this place and was thinking to stop by. I don't mind dropping ridiculous prices for a drink or two. So long as the ambience is right and the food is good. Just gotta go somewhere else if I need to get a buzz (like 7 Grand).
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    Meh, not really.
    It's in a good location where you can get a good beer then walk to laemmle playhouse to sober up.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

i heard chilis is a cool bar

OMG. Goats. In the middle of the city! How could you not smile?

http://blogdowntown.com/2011/08/6346...goats-are-back

I'm gonna walk over there in a bit and take some pics. Then I am gonna go find some barbacoa cabrito for lunch...

I instructed my gf who works downtown to go check it out. She said there are like 75 of them and they are adorable.
    last.fm

Anyone know generally how long the goats stay? I didnít have a camera on me when I walked by. Hoping I can stop by again sometime this weekend.

One of you other 3 that suck off each other tag this and make it your own. This is from Wednesday.

Bleating & Eating, Downtown L.A. Goats Return For Round 4

A herd of about 100 four-legged weed whackers descended upon downtown L.A. this morning. Angels Knoll hillside at 4th and Hill welcomes these hungry goats for their fourth annual hillside clearing.

In lieu of gasoline-powered tools and a human crew, the animal workforce provides a cheap and eco-friendly alternative for the yearly maintenance project. First introduced to the weed-stricken hillside in 2008 by the Community Redevelopment Agency, the herd returned in 2009 and 2010.

Apparently, the goats waste zero time during the work day, are highly motivated and focused. They are scheduled to complete their duties in just two days, according to blogdowntown.com.

As one of the most bizarre urban sights of the summer, the grazers entertain and maintain.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Done and sigged. I love a nice bit of incoherent rambling on a Friday. I'm sure you had a point to make in there. But who cares, eh?

Did fb have a stroke?

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Did fb have a stroke?
    Might explain it. Maybe I'm just misreading him. Or could it be just another twunt who thinks that if something has already been posted around here it dare not get posted again? Amazing these guys find their way into every godam thread like they're the godam Coachella forum police. Then people revere them for it. They can all kiss my ass.

Anyway, need to hip you guys to a small, unassuming market that sells grass-fed beef called Figueroa Produce--

http://www.yelp.com/biz/figueroa-pro...ueroa%20market

This place is a quick ride up the 110 north from downtown. Off at 60th street, over to Fig then a right up to York. In a strip mall with the 99c store. Not sure where they are sourcing from but this is the third time I have bought their grass-fed ribeye from them and it is incredible! Not cheap ($18 per lbs) but awesome. In general their butcher case is top notch and welcome relief from Ralph's or Trader Joe's. Worth a look.

For bars, hit up Xlixe tonight but only long enough to grab a menu and look around. Very small beer selection- but they sell growlers... yea! And a pizza called the Furious Pig topped with spicey pork belly! Hitting it up tomorrow barring work related interference and will report back shortly.

I don't think I'll ever convince myself to spend that much on steak, but I should check that place out sometime regardless.
    last.fm

Agreed. It's such a damn shame that high quality organic products are luxury items.

I know what you mean. And it's not like I am swimming in $ or anything. But damn it's hard to find quality steak for a reasonable price in this town. Figueroa Market definitely delivers.

Actually now that I am thinking on it the best place to purchase meat in So CA is the Huntington Beach Beef Palace and Butcher Shop--

http://www.yelp.com/biz/beef-palace-...ntington-beach

Don't think I have mentioned this place here before? Anyway, it's outstanding in terms of quality for both pork and beef/steak but I just don't live near enough to it to make regular visits. But it truly is the best I have found. Great brisket and pork ribs. CASH ONLY!

A terrific place closer to home is the Huntington Meats Market at the Farmer's Market off Fairfax (Confusing name, I know. No relation to the Palace in Huntington Beach)

http://www.huntingtonmeats.com/hmhomepage.html

There's decent parking for the Farmer's Market and this butcher case is worth your time. Top notch T-Bone.

Closer to home, the east LA area does have some grate fish markets I know of. The mighty Fish King in Glendale is one--

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fish-king-glendale

These guys sell whole Branzino! Damn it is the best whole fish ever. Great salmon selection too.

Go!
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 08-07-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Anything going on in downtown LA on a Sunday night??? DanceDance ????

I got no show recommendations this late in the game if you're talking about tonight. But if you're looking for something quick to do in DT and it requires booze, try here

http://la.eater.com/tags/silo-vodka-bar-

Anyone ever been to Bar Sinister...?
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Upcoming Shows: Marques Wyatt - UCLA, Paul Mccartney - Dodger Stadium, Yes - Greek Theater, Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl, NIN/Soundgarden - Hollywood Bowl, Cut Chemist/Dj Shadow - Palladium, Massive Attack SB Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    Anything going on in downtown LA on a Sunday night??? DanceDance ????
    Unfortunately, LA kind of really sucks for dance clubs. Avoid The Mayan and the Belasco in downtown like the plague. They're often advertised as the biggest most "luxe" clubs in downtown. You'd have a better time tuning your hotel clock radio to JackFM and quickly flicking the bathroom lights on and off.

Museum of Contemporary Art (for early evening) in downtown is always worth a visit.

I would echo that recommendation for Silo Vodka Bar. Really great experience.

Library Bar is a fun gastropub downtown.

The Standard Hotel's rooftop bar is definitely worth checking out for the stunning view. You're cocooned by some of the tallest skyscrapers in LA. Be warned: overpriced drinks, so-so dj's. Usually a surprisingly nice and relaxed crowd up there, though. And, again, the setting is stunning.

Dinner: Try the Lazy Ox Canteen. Tons of really delicious small plates; great for a group.

Happy Hour Finder for downtown:
    http://www.downtownla.com/3_10_happyHours.asp

Went to Villains for the first time yesterday. Awesome place to hang out during the afternoon.
    last.fm