Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

(formerly known as) Breakers, in Cypress
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

Bars:
    Ok, I'm sober, so this kind of seems like it would make no sense, but I love music and have lots of friends who drink, so I went to a lot of bars in LA. I think my sobriety actually gave me a better ability to discern quality bar atmosphere, but that's debatable.*

Carbon/Funkmosphere - In Culver City. every Monday night, Dam Funk and friends spin late 70s/early 80s electro funk. Think Zapp and Roger. Some of the best dance music I have ever heard in my life. Never a cover. Totally diverse black/white/cholo/rasta/japaneseBBoy/twenty-somethings get their fucking groove on, packed into a 300 sq ft dance floor. Way worth your time. I have no idea why this shit has never properly blown up.

R Bar - the whole "needing a password" thing is kind of retarded and totally unnecessary, but I have had some really fun nights here. The booths are good.

Mountain Bar in Chinatown - solid go-to bar with a hip, varied crowd, good variety of DJs, and if you like metal, Ovrcast puts on some intense free shows upstairs with progressive dark metal bands like Lions of Tsavo, Lantvrn, The Fucking Wrath, MOAB, Circle, etc.

HMS Bounty - mentioned briefly above. A bar with character to spare below the Gaylord building on Wilshire.

The Smog Cutter - I can't believe no one has mentioned the Smog Cutter. Karaoke, insane thai bartenders, and ridiculousness all day. Read their yelp page. Just read it.

La Cita - as good as downtown LA hipster dance bars get, I suppose
    Eastsideluv, Wine Bar y Queso - wine and cheese bar in East LA with an upwardly-mobile young Latino crowd, a dress code, and a serious burlesque show some nights. Highly recommended.

Restaurants:
    Jack and Jill's - Total yuppie breakfast place in Santa Monica with amazing food that won't kill your wallet. Beware intense yoga-mat-carrying moms wielding deadly strollers out front. Free iced green tea while you wait!

Snug Harbor - on Wilshire in west Los Angeles. They have a three page breakfast menu. And you can get baked grapefruit.

Golden State - if you don't wanna deal with parking at one of the Umami burger locations or want to do some shopping at Turntable Lab or Family bookstore after, Golden State has the best burgers on Fairfax.

The Veggie Grill - a place to get vegan food on the sunset strip that isn't a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Validated parking garage, fast-food prices, and sweet potato fries for LYFE.

LA Mill - iPad wielding hipsters and art snobs notwithstanding this is the place to go if you wanna splurge on some bomb gourmet breakfast or coffee drinks in Silverlake. Their coffee menu is 14 pages or something like that, while their breakfast menu is ike, 5 lines. But that's kind of the gourmet deal, you know?

Fred 62 - Kind of the 'Urban Outfitters' of restaurants, but it's someplace everyone can always agree on. And let's face it: you love the playlist and the oh-so-hip waitresses. Plus the food is consistently delicious and there is enough variety to eat here all the time without getting sick of it.

The Alcove - counter service sandwich/coffee/food place in Los Feliz. Some of the best food in the $$ range you can get within miles. A good alternative to Fred's if you are awake during normal-people hours.
    Kike's tacos - not anti-Semitic, despite how funny the sign looks (it's kee-kay's). Pop-up outdoor tacos near dowtown. Pretty much directly between Pehrspace and the Smell, so if you're driving from one to the other it always does the trick.

La Estrella tacos, Highland Park - not the best, not the worst, but if you need solid 24hr tacos and are near the northeast side, a quick drive up the 110 to Highland Park will get you easy parking, cheap authentic tacos, and consistent Horchata. I like the Figueroa location the best, but the permanent food truck on York is good for a lark if you can handle the Occidental college crowd.

Manna - I'm gonna pick this place for best Korean BBQ, but it's really up for debate. I come here with my bike club and they don't throw us out despite the fact that we're probably a pain in the ass.*

I miss you hard, Los Angeles.
    Last edited by involvelemons; 01-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Hahahaha The Smog Cutter is one of the most ridiculously shitty places I have ever been. I absolutely love it.

I've been recently visiting the HMS Bounty as it's not too far from my girlfriend's place and it's a total riot. The people that frequent that place are pretty fucking outrageous.

Also, Frank & Hank's is a good small dive bar on Wilshire & 6th if you wanna pre/post drink for Wiltern shows.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I've been recently visiting the HMS Bounty as it's not too far from my girlfriend's place and it's a total riot. The people that frequent that place are pretty fucking outrageous.
    Right?! Character. I'm telling you.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Speaking of Guinness has anyone tried the new Guinness foreign extra stout??
    Not since I was in Ireland a few years back. If I recall correctly it had a bit more of a caramel taste to it.

Thanks for the great list, involvelemons! I keep forgetting to check out HMS Bounty; I live less than half a mile from the place.

hey Rage, have you ever been to Nandarang on Hobart & 5th? that's right by where my girlfriend lives and they have really beer and appatizer-style korean food. it's a cool place to watch basketball games.

Biergarten on Wilshire & 1st is also really cool. They have a mixture of German beer and micro brews, and a strange menu combining German sausages, mexican food, and traditional Korean fare.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

hey Rage, have you ever been to Nandarang on Hobart & 5th? that's right by where my girlfriend lives and they have really beer and appatizer-style korean food. it's a cool place to watch basketball games.

Biergarten on Wilshire & 1st is also really cool. They have a mixture of German beer and micro brews, and a strange menu combining German sausages, mexican food, and traditional Korean fare.

Drinkey, I have not been to Nadarang or Biergarten, but thanks for the tips. Right now, being laid off and trying to watch what I eat means cooking at home almost every night so I'm not going to be doing some K'town culinary explorations for a while.

I mentioned this on here before, but if you haven't tried it yet, you and your gf might enjoy Amalia's Guatemalan restaurant at Virgil and Marathon. Not K'town, but close. Lovely setting (the restaurant itself; the neighborhood is shit), sweet and genuine staff, flavorful Guatemalan cuisine, big portions and very reasonable prices. Also, the wings at Kyochon at 6th and Hobart are wickedly addictive stuff.

Oh, and, while I truly appreciate the recommendations, telling me it's a cool place to watch a basketball game is a bit like me telling you it's a cool place to watch the Tony Awards.

But I like the Tony's... And basketball too! I guess my question is there a cool place to watch the Tony's AND a basketball game?

Ok, so I know this is an LA foodie thread, but I'm heading to Vegas for the next few days and CES. Any recommends from here on good eats in Sin City?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    But I like the Tony's... And basketball too! I guess my question is there a cool place to watch the Tony's AND a basketball game?

Ok, so I know this is an LA foodie thread, but I'm heading to Vegas for the next few days and CES. Any recommends from here on good eats in Sin City?
    What are you looking for? There are a million "Five Star" establishments. There are so many, it's like asking for a great place to eat in New York. Here are my personal favorites.

Capriotti's Sandwich Shop
    Also the Gourmet deli at Panevino has great lunches
    Mesa Grill - Caesars Palace (Lunch or Brunch)
    Rao's at Caesars Palace (Italian) Tasty dishes!
    Battista's Hole In the Wall (Italian)
    Pink Taco (Hard Rock)
    Nobu (Hard Rock) or Tao (Venitian) for pricy sushi
    Yama Sushi for all you can eat for $25 ($30 if you want all you can drink)
    Rum Jungle (Churrasqueria) at Mandalay
    Chinatown (yes there is a chinatown in LV) has lots of great Asian eateries and some of the best pho I've had. Well worth the cab ride or drive.
    And if you like CrÍpes, the CrÍpe place inside Paris near the elevators has the best savory and the best sweet CrÍpes you'll ever find
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 01-05-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Drinkey, I have not been to Nadarang or Biergarten, but thanks for the tips. Right now, being laid off and trying to watch what I eat means cooking at home almost every night so I'm not going to be doing some K'town culinary explorations for a while.

I mentioned this on here before, but if you haven't tried it yet, you and your gf might enjoy Amalia's Guatemalan restaurant at Virgil and Marathon. Not K'town, but close. Lovely setting (the restaurant itself; the neighborhood is shit), sweet and genuine staff, flavorful Guatemalan cuisine, big portions and very reasonable prices. Also, the wings at Kyochon at 6th and Hobart are wickedly addictive stuff.

Oh, and, while I truly appreciate the recommendations, telling me it's a cool place to watch a basketball game is a bit like me telling you it's a cool place to watch the Tony Awards.
    AHAHAHA okay, well, different strokes for different folks. They play a lot of K-pop music videos when there are no sports. Also, i messed up on the location, it's in the same parking lot as Kyochan. And yeah, I totally understand the money thing.
    last.fm

AHAHAHA okay, well, different strokes for different folks. They play a lot of K-pop music videos when there are no sports. Also, i messed up on the location, it's in the same parking lot as Kyochan. And yeah, I totally understand the money thing.
    Oh okay. Yeah, an old colleague recommended that place as well.

Gjelina for brunch

I ate Cassell's for lunch. I am happy.

Even though i haven't tried Kyochan yet (my girlfriend is vegetarian and it seems that this place ONLY has chicken), i like that practically every place in K-Town does chicken wings now, and they're mostly all really fucking delicious. Noms.
    last.fm

If you can't make it to the discotheque tonight, check out the K'town Ralph's instead. For a reason I've yet to grasp they were playing disco music really loudly tonight. I mean so loudly that people were commenting on it. Not complaining, mind you. Some little kids were actually getting down in the aisles while their parents were busy studying the nutrition labels on Capri-Sun. It took all my will power to resist shimmying a bit in the produce aisle as Giorgio Moroder's 'From Here to Eternity' was blasting. Well, now you know. Sunday nights. K'town Ralph's.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    What are you looking for? There are a million "Five Star" establishments. There are so many, it's like asking for a great place to eat in New York. Here are my personal favorites.

Capriotti's Sandwich Shop
    Also the Gourmet deli at Panevino has great lunches
    Mesa Grill - Caesars Palace (Lunch or Brunch)
    Rao's at Caesars Palace (Italian) Tasty dishes!
    Battista's Hole In the Wall (Italian)
    Pink Taco (Hard Rock)
    Nobu (Hard Rock) or Tao (Venitian) for pricy sushi
    Yama Sushi for all you can eat for $25 ($30 if you want all you can drink)
    Rum Jungle (Churrasqueria) at Mandalay
    Chinatown (yes there is a chinatown in LV) has lots of great Asian eateries and some of the best pho I've had. Well worth the cab ride or drive.
    And if you like CrÍpes, the CrÍpe place inside Paris near the elevators has the best savory and the best sweet CrÍpes you'll ever find
    Thanks for this Wes. I got side tracked getting ready for CES and didn't see this post till too late. You're right- I needed to be more specific.

Anyway, I ended up at dinner on Thursday at Trevi in Caesar's Palace. I had Chicken Marsala which was just ok. My buddies had the lamb rack special with wasabe mashed 'tatoes, both which I tasted and thought was better than mine. By far the best thing at that place is their tiramisu. Outstanding.

Second night was Lawry's just off the strip. I have mixed feelings about the overall experience whenever I eat at a Lawry's but this one was fine. A giant piece of pink prime rib with asparagus and 'tatoes.

The best thing I ate while in Vegas was a pressed Cuban sandwich with side of slaw at the Hilton's sportbook cafe. I've been there a dozen times and given the close proximity to CES it's a must. Convention attendees have figured it out though. Used to be at past CES's I could make the schlep over there and only a few convention dwellers plus the daytime sport degenerates would be chowing. Now it has a line around the bar outside it at lunchtime during the convention. Still- VERY good sandwiches to be had there.

Oh, CES was good this year but still not loving all the attention being paid to 3D TVs. And if anything I'd dub this CES the year of the tablet. Seems like every manufacture has one out or coming now.

This is totally an abuse of this thread, but hey, I've contributed on here as well. I'm meeting a prospective employer at the Monddrian Hotel in WeHo today (misspelled intentionally). It's the hotel that features Skybar on the roof. Unemployment benefits being a pittance, I'd rather not spend the $32 on the valet parking. I called the hotel to check and this is their standard rate whether you're staying 1 hour or 24 hours. I don't know this part of WeHo. Do you think I'll have any luck finding parking nearby or am I just going to have to suck it up and take the valet? I know I probably sound like some cheap miser to you, but try and survive on unemployment benefits while living in LA. Trust me. Everything adds up. Thanks!

Give yourself a little extra time to find a spot on fountain, sunset, or la cienega. good luck!

All the side streets in that area require permits... however, if you're willing to walk a few blocks, when ever I've needed to park in that area, I always manage to find parking on Crescent Heights, usually between Fountain and Santa Monica. Although that's generally at night, and I'm assuming this is during the day... so in that case I have no idea.

Thanks guys!

The permit requirements are less onerous before nightlife hours. I think you get a couple of hours w/o one before then. Fountain never requires one.

There was plenty of free meter parking for several blocks of Sunset Blvd. Guess 4pm's the right time for parking in WeHo. Lunch crowd is gone, happy hour/dinner crowd hasn't arrived yet. Thanks again, guys!

Ate at Sushi Gen for the first time tonight

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-gen-los-angeles

Initial thought is... HOLY SHIAT!! Within walking distance of my place and hadn't thought to go there till now. Powered through orders of Spanish Mackerel, Kanpachi, Monkfish Liver, Giant Clam, Sweet Shrimp etc. POW! Some of the best sushi I have ever eaten and I've eaten a lot! They have plenty of sake and beer options. Crowded beyond belief from the moment we arrived and a line out the place after we left. An absolute killer place and experience. Just fukin go!

There's this spot on Hollywood Blvd right across from the W called Loaded that my gf and I like to hit up. They have a great drink special called Brother on a Budget which consists of a tall can of Paps, a shot of house whiskey and a cigarette for $8. It's kind of a dive; small quarters and it gets kind of packed but they play some good ol' rock and roll (Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, etc.), the people are chill, and the bouncers are super nice. Nice spot to pre drink before hitting up the town.

Loaded sounds great...

Hey, is there any bars/clubs in LA (pref West Side as we are staying in Santa Monica/Venice) that plays 80's tunes.

When i say 80's, i want Depeche, Smiths, Joy Division, Cure, Duran Duran.....NOT frickin Toni Basil and so forth.....

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
    Loaded sounds great...

Hey, is there any bars/clubs in LA (pref West Side as we are staying in Santa Monica/Venice) that plays 80's tunes.

When i say 80's, i want Depeche, Smiths, Joy Division, Cure, Duran Duran.....NOT frickin Toni Basil and so forth.....

Thanks!
    I used to go to a lot of "80's themed" clubs in Hollywood but be warned that a lot of them invite a pretty lame crowed as most clubs in Hollywood are 18+ Not saying that YOU are lame, but a majority of the crowed at these places are. If anyone knows of any 80's clubs that don't bring in this crowed (you know what I'm talking about. "OMG Madonna!) , please let me know. But here are the ones I knows of. I don't think any of them are on the West Side though:

Moscow
    Bang!
    Blue Mondays
    A Clockwork Orange

All play the music that you're refferencing.

Quote Originally Posted by est1985 View Post
    There's this spot on Hollywood Blvd right across from the W called Loaded that my gf and I like to hit up. They have a great drink special called Brother on a Budget which consists of a tall can of Paps, a shot of house whiskey and a cigarette for $8. It's kind of a dive; small quarters and it gets kind of packed but they play some good ol' rock and roll (Motley Crue, Guns N Roses, etc.), the people are chill, and the bouncers are super nice. Nice spot to pre drink before hitting up the town.
    Yeah, Loaded is pretty sweet. I liked it a bit better when it was Tiny's KO, mostly because they served really good food, but I like the spirit of Loaded a lot.
    last.fm

Pretty awesome new bar owned by the Knitting Factory in North Hollywood! I look forward to trying the food soon. I shot the shit with the bar manager for about an hour last night, super nice guy.

http://www.thefederalbar.com/menu/
    last.fm

i gotta check out federal bar. its only like 2 miles from me

Federal Bar used to be called Bank, no? For like less than a year? Then it burned or something? That building is so cool they need to have something cool inside of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex