Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    No way. Where were you parked?
    2nd St & Hewitt St..I have a white blazer.The guy used a shave key and screwdriver.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

^Wow that sucks. What a piece of shit. F'in thieves. Insurance take care of you? I just heard from another boardie today who works with me that a brand new BMW S1000RR was lifted out of our parking garage in Santa Monica. I had a brand new ZX10 lifted outta there back in '06. I still park my Speed Triple there. Damn.

Back on topic (for Dylan's sake) I had one of these this past weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm Wurstkutche

Man, is that a good beer... it is also $11 for a pint! Had the Duck/Bacon and Rattlesnake again. That place is even better if you just go once in a while- hey what is this inner-tube doing around my waist?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Rattlesnack FTW!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

I think I have to go next month. Either that or the sushi nazi. Sonny, I will need consulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I think I have to go next month. Either that or the sushi nazi. Sonny, I will need consulting.
    Oh man, Nozawa or Wurstkuche? This won't be easy.

Nozawa- It is the very best sushi you can eat. Sit at the bar and let the old man serve you. You will start getting served and you do NOT have the option to choose. He's gonna let you know when you're done too. Do NOT take out your cell phone. Do NOT try to read up on shows in LA Weekly! You will literally be tossed out of the place. The rice tends to be a little looser than normal, but with good flavor. See if he will serve you sashimi straight up. You don't need the rice. A busboy will come by for your drinks order. Drink up- Sushi Nazi is fine with that. You will also expect to pay about $60-$70 per person, minimum if you're hungry.

Wurstkuche- They know me a little there now which says something given the volume they serve. Make your life easy- if there is a line, as soon as you get a foot through the door let them know you want a beer. Beer while waiting on line suddenly makes waiting on line no big deal. They should do this at Disneyland. They have paper menus in a metal cup at the register so get one and start reading. Don't delay on your order once you get up front. It's obnoxious. Hate people trying to ask questions about crap they've had plenty of time to think over when there is usually a line a mile long. You'll get a red sign with a number on it. Hit up the tip jar generously and take your sign over to the beer garden. If it's a nice night (it's farkin LA so of course it's a nice night) walk through the first door you see at the end of the hallway. It will say EXIT but takes you outside to a few tables and air. THe girl with sausages will find you when its ready so don't sweat that.

To sum up- depends on what you feel like eating. I have been to Nozawa only twice and Wurstie about 20 times. That said, I'd probably choose Nozawa more for a proper dinner if I had the scratch and it was closer. I'd pick Wurst if I wanted to just chill and be close to LA Live... and if you can tolerate a few trendy hipsters (of which I am an aging one).
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 09-23-2010 at 01:10 AM.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| DFA 1979| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I've been to Nozawa a lot over the years; I've never seen him actually get tough on a customer. A couple of "no california rolls" but that's about it.

Anyway, If you're doing it up there, try to get him to give you Oysters, and get an extra crab roll because it's the best dish of all time. I respectfully disagree with the sashimi suggestion - they do the rice really well and for me it's part of the draw.
    Last edited by shermanoaksyo; 09-23-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Best straight up hamburger I've had in LA is at Cassells on 6th street in K-town. They're only open for lunch, and it's a little pricey, but they grind the patties there and have fresh buns shipped in from a local bakery every day, and they've been there forever using the same charbroiler.

Hmmm. Maybe I have to go for a walk right about now.
    Cassell's is so goddamn awesome. I love that horseradish potato salad. I had no idea what it was the first time I went in - seemed like a pile of cauliflower, or something - but it was love at first bite.

Does anyone know anything about that bar(?) with the Kim Jong-Il mural across the street? Always wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    I've been to Nozawa a lot over the years; I've never seen him actually get tough on a customer. A couple of "no california rolls" but that's about it.
    Probably right but I have had fewer experiences than you. I do know the waitress on duty my second time was on me like white on rice when I pulled out my cell phone to see where my wife was. It's a little overblown but I am pretty sure the old man mostly wants you to there to enjoy and focus on his food. Probably gotten harder to do that over the years with all the portable contraptions.

El Tapatio - 22806 Victory Blvd, Woodland Hills

This place wins! Others may be as good, but none are better. Today was my first visit and I tried the al pastor taco, carne asada taco, and a bean and cheese burrito. I rate them all a 10. I also rate the salsa verde and the salsa roja a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Villains Villains Villains Villains Villains. The best bar in Los Angeles. We're done.
    Thank you for the recommendation because you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post

This place wins! Others may be as good, but none are better. Today was my first visit and I tried the al pastor taco, carne asada taco, and a bean and cheese burrito. I rate them all a 10. I also rate the salsa verde and the salsa roja a 10.
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills
    If you want the best burrito in LA, go to El Taurino.
    Tacos as well, though I haven't been to the place you're talking about. I'll check it out, thanks

Originally Posted by JamesMills
    If you want the best burrito in LA, go to El Taurino
    And I'll try this out before a Lakers game sometime.

There's a pop-up taco stand on 1st and Beaudry just west of the 110 in Downtown called Mexicali Taco that serves AMAZING tacos and other things. Homemade salsa, and great quality meat. The zuperman is redonk~! They are only there Weds-Sat I believe, starting at 8 and ending around 11 because they sell out so fast.

More on topic, the new place at First/Hope has some great drinks.

And another place I've found if you're in DT around Happy Hour is the happy hour cocktails at Drago are only $5 and *excellent*. I know it's more of a fancy place but just go into the bar and get served there.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post

Wow...someone found one of my favorites!!! Good Job! The Nachos are the best.. You know its good because the entire parking lot is filled with Gardner trucks...not to be racist...Mexicans know good Mexican food...
    Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    It's like KoRn and Aidz Needles make a crime to my ears!!

Did M Cafe on Melrose with some coworkers today. The Tuna Tataki Salad was fantastic. I'll let the menu describe it...

citrus-soy marinated tuna seared rare with mixed greens, avocado, daikon sprouts, wasabi mayo, ponzu dressing & shiso

Umami is absolutely AMAZING. I went with a friend after some Amoeba shopping and omg. He loved the ketchup, too. For a bar, my favorite is Barney's Beanery in WeHo. LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    ^Wow that sucks. What a piece of shit. F'in thieves. Insurance take care of you?
    I didn't have Insurance at the time but lucky the cops found the guy in my car before they strip it.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Try the Hotel Shangri-La

They have this amazing rooftop bar that overlooks the ocean. They throw some pretty crazy parties up there. In addition to that, it just has some of the best food ever. Not joking, I like every fucking thing on that menue. The chef is soooo bomb
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I know this thread is mainly about bars in LA but what the hell. Do any of you LA folks have any recommendations for fish restaurants? Where can I get served the best, most fresh swordfish steak? My friend and I were looking at Fisherman's Outlet on yelp since it had a good number of reviews but I want to get some of your opinions!

They sell beer at Fisherman's outlet. The fish is good, but overpriced. Go during lunchtime and watch them verbally take your order. I've tried screwing them up, but they always come through.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Thanks FB! Beer is always a plus. I'm thinking of getting some lunch here tomorrow and then head over to the Hollywood Farmers Market to stroll around.

I would check to see if they are open tomorrow. They close at 1 today and 3 during the week.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Yeah you're right they are closed today. Balls. I'm sure we'll find something to eat at the farmers market.

If, uhhh, money's no object to you, you can't go wrong with The Water Grill in downtown when it comes to seafood. A bit too pricey for me, but I was treated to this place last year and it was marvelous. Some of the freshest seafood I've tasted in ages; the tuna tartar and the salmon were heavenly. They also have really great desserts (red velvet pudding) and apparently they now have a zero corking fee. It's definitely not a casual place. It felt like we were surrounded by downtown execs and investment bankers during lunch, but it's also not overly stuffy. Service was outstanding.

http://www.watergrill.com/

I've always been a big fan of Captain Kidd's down at King Harbor in Redondo and have rocked the swordfish there a few times. They have a nice shellfish tank too with plenty of fresh crustaceans

http://captainkidds.com/

Pick out your fish, get it grilled/fried/broiled etc with two sides additional for $3.99. Decent beer selection in big plastic cups and benches right on the beach looking out at the breakwater.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I have friends that work at San Marino seafood and this place is fucking legit. Delicious, fresh fish with big portions. They are also a market as well a restaurant.

http://www.sanmarinoseafood.com/
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Thanks Drinkey- link is favorited.

In DT LA I live right by an excellent, if slightly smaller, fish monger. This place is jammin busy on the restaurant side but with a respectable fish case. Their Halibut and Chilean Sea Bass selection are not cheap, but out of this world good (and I can walk to it). Check it out if you can

http://fishermansoutlet.net/

Hey all. Looking for two recommendations:

What would you say are the best gastropubs in LA? (Anywhere in LA's fine)

Friday’s my last day at work and some coworker friends are taking me out to lunch. Any recommendations West of Ktown? Trying to stick to Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Mid Wilshire, Fairfax, Larchmont. Open to any suggestions for lunch.

Has anyone been to Mi-6, next to troubadour?

Anyone have a review or comments on it? I was thinking about going in a couple of saturdays..

what's everyone think about Dillons?

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena