Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

thanks for your replies.

i'll check them out on the interwebs...

Duvel you going to the game on the 9th?

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    It's a bit far too walk, imo. But yes it is a cool place. Upstairs from Mas Malo on 7th.

For places within walking distance of Staples, I like Cork Bar fine. Spent plenty of money there that's for sure! They have small but decent beer selection, lots of CA wine and a good burger. My fave hang before a Kings game

http://www.corkbar.com/

After last week's pub crawl with Drinkey, I am down with Villain's Tavern as one of the coolest haunts to drink at in LA. The drinks there are really good and it has a unique and laid back atmosphere (although supposed to get pretty jam packed at night with live bands). Not within walking distance of Staples but whatever. Awesome place

http://www.villainstavern.com/Home/VT.html
    It's like five blocks. I used to live a block away from Seven Grand and walked down to the Staples Center/LA Live on many occasions. It's only too far to walk if you're incredibly lazy!

But yeah... Seven Grand is great... Their whiskey society meetings can be pretty amazing too!

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Duvel you going to the game on the 9th?
    I think it's the 16th but I've got to check tickets.

You going??

Next question.

Anybody been to Boardners on a Monday night. The 80's night, Blue Monday?

Any good?

Worth incorporating a visit (remember we're staying in Santa Monica / Venice Beach area)?

So I ate at Bestia before going to Disney Hall tonight. Holy shit. Incredible, incredible meal. I got there right at 6 and was able to sit at the bar, no problem.

I got the Young Broccoli to start, which was amazing. Roasted to perfection. For the main course I got the Cavatelli alla Norcina, which was heavily recommended to me by ThomThom. It was fucking FANTASTIC.

He had also said to get the "coffee and donuts" for dessert, but I was told they wouldn't be able to make it for a half hour so I opted for the Chocolate Budino Tart. Which was, predictably by this point, absolutely delectable.

One of the all-time great meals I've had.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

El Tapatio - 22806 Victory Blvd, Woodland Hills

This place wins! Others may be as good, but none are better. Today was my first visit and I tried the al pastor taco, carne asada taco, and a bean and cheese burrito. I rate them all a 10. I also rate the salsa verde and the salsa roja a 10.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    If you want the best burrito in LA, go to El Taurino.
    Today I finally took you up on the El Taurino challenge Mr. Mills. It was a worthy recommendation and certainly in that upper echellon of taquerias we all crave. Using El Tapatio #2 as my benchmark, I put the Asada and Al Pastor tacos and Bean and Cheese burrito up for the test. But like any true prize fight, a true contender must lose with 9s and not 10s. In all categories, El Tapatio came out on top.

The tender mushy feel of the al pastor was probably the second best al pastor I've had, but it didn't compare to the tender, yet slightly carmelized pork El Tapitio serves up with a hint of el carbon crunch. The carne asada was a push. The plate to get looked like the on the bone Asada plate with Onions and the works. (Maybe next time). At $3.25, the bean and cheese burrito did not live up to expectations. At twice the price of El Tapitio, it was small, loose, and sloppy with uninteresting beans.

For a Hoover location, I was surprised the meal cost several dollars more than I expected. They also nickel and dime you on everything from salsa to limes to napkins. Half the walls were plastered with 'extras' signs. Free chips, salsa bar, fresh poco de gallo and quicker friendlier service are the icing on El Tapatio's cake. Not so at El Taurino and that's why I'm giving them, an A- instead of an A vs. El Tapatio's A+
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

El Taurino is definitely tasty, but they take SO long, their nachos are made with crappy cheese sauce and they don't give you enough food for what you pay. I lived within walking distance for four years and would regularly drive a little bit extra to go to King Taco instead. I prefer their beans, and they really have a lock on a good lengua burrito.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Has anyone tried tacos at one of these places listed here? Any recommendations when I go back to LA for FYF?

http://firstwefeast.com/eat/10-essential-l-a-tacos/

8/19 Run the Jewels @ Sir Stage 37
    8/21 The Clean @ Rough Trade
    8/21 J Rocc/GE-OLOGY @ Panther Room
    8/23 Bad Brains/Trash Talk @ Afropunk
    8/23 Kevin Saunderson @ TBA
    8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Has anyone tried tacos at one of these places listed here? Any recommendations when I go back to LA for FYF?

Can't say anything about the rest of the list, but Guisado's is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post

That list is particularly useful for FYF because most of the shops are located fairly close to the festival. Guisados makes the best tacos in LA in my book (although, yeah, Ricky's does the best fish taco by far.) El Parian is a classic taco shop with huge, flavorful creations, and it's always a blast to go there and get transported to a sleepy shop in Mexico for an hour. They recommend the birria, but all three tacos they serve are fantastic. I'd also highly recommend Cactus Taco for their slow-cooked Al Pastor. On a good day it's super crispy, flavorful and just a bit sweet. Also, if you go to the one on Vine, you can hit Amoeba beforehand and then eat at the shop, which has one of the best and most incorrect murals depicting LA that you'll ever see.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Wow, I am shocked that I have eaten at none of those places! They all look divine. Cactus is fucking amazing though - I have had many late night post-bar jaunts there.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Jonathan Gold can probably sell you on El Parian at least as well as I can. I've been going there for years. Nothing ever changes, and that's a great thing. There's a parking lot behind the restaurant too, which is fantastic.

Thank you everyone for their input! I guess I'll check out Guisados and Cactus Taco next time I'm in LA Since we're talking about food, I'm assuming these places make pretty damn good burritos as well?

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Guisados doesn't make burritos, and usually you'd go to a different place if you're looking for a burrito instead of a taco. Cactus does have decent burritos though. Despite my comments in here, I am a fan of the burritos at El Taurino. I also think King Taco does some pretty great burritos. El Tepeyac is the legend in LA for burritos though, but that'd put you in a food coma for a few days.

El Tepeyac is my favorite place for Mexican food in LA.

Like you said, the burritos are ridiculous.

Guisados doesn't make burritos, and usually you'd go to a different place if you're looking for a burrito instead of a taco. Cactus does have decent burritos though. Despite my comments in here, I am a fan of the burritos at El Taurino. I also think King Taco does some pretty great burritos. El Tepeyac is the legend in LA for burritos though, but that'd put you in a food coma for a few days.
    Ok just made a note to myself. I'll try the burritos there! Thanks again

8/24 D'Angelo @ Afropunk

There was a good 2-3 years when myself and my roommates would take weekly trips all around LA trying random mexican restaurants and taco trucks. We found so much great food.

Any recommendations for vegetarian, vegan or vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Hollywood? Got friends in town I need to entertain. Trying to stick to Hollywood. They're staying in Hollywood and will be headed straight to the Bowl after our meal for the Willie Nelson concert. Fine dining or upper casual. So, you know, not Veggie Grill.

I don't know if it'd fully classify as upper casual, but Paru South Indian cuisine is excellent vegetarian food in a really cool and unique setting. They're next to a car mechanic and have bars on the windows and doors. You have to buzz in, and you enter a really pretty garden and well-maintained and excellent restaurant. It's a trip and their food is great.

Paru's is delish. not sure if vegan stuff but for sure vegetarian.

ideas: yelp vegan hollywood
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Thanks for the Paru's recommendation, guys. Next time for that one. We went with Vegan Glory instead. Very good Thai veg/vegan. The "chicken" satay was especially good.

Power House if I'm poor and The Parlor Room if I'm not.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    Follow kvn†y on instagram :: "Lorde is my shepherd. I shall not want."

For next time Rage, these are by far the two best in LA... Flore Vegan in Silverlake and Cafe Gratitude in Larchmont Village.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    For next time Rage, these are by far the two best in LA... Flore Vegan in Silverlake and Cafe Gratitude in Larchmont Village.
    Yes, I've heard that those are both good choices. They were just a bit too far away for my friends who were visiting. I actually had some surprisingly good vegan sushi at Shojin in Little Tokyo a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised not only at the wonderful flavor, but by the variety of flavors and textures. Our group ordered 7 or 8 different kinds of sushi and each had its own unique taste. Now, if I were with a group of, you know, normal, well-adjusted people who felt like sushi, we wouldn’t be going vegan, but it really was exceptional.

SHOJIN IS FUCKING AWESOME! I also am not vegan, but I live across the street and we were curious about it and I was shocked at how totally delicious everything there it. Nice little space that makes you forget you're in a mall too, and really good sake selection.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yes, the sushi was surprisingly tasty and varied. Although, I'd avoid the soup. Completely lacking in flavor. Our table had three different kinds of miso soup and we might as well have ordered bath water. But good miso soup? That's not hard to find.

How do you like living in Little Tokyo, Drinkey? I was actually checking out a place there earlier this year before I moved into my new place in Echo Park.

Technically I live in the Arts District, but I'm RIGHT on the LT/AD border. I've been here since February and I love it! The only problem is there are waaay too many amazing restaurants and bars that are way too easy to walk to. i went fucking broke pretending I was on vacation every night for the first 4 months.
    last.fm

Any decent new suggestions near the El Rey?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Any decent new suggestions near the El Rey?
    Rascal is decent but nothing to write home about.

8/20 Fucked Up - The Garage
    8/22 NIN - Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/30 Ty Segall - Echo
    9/11 Swans - Roxy
    9/30 King Crimson - Orpheum Theatre
    10/29 Tycho - Ventura Theater
    10/31 QOTSA - Forum
    11/4 United Nations - Los Globos