Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Thanks! I'll be there manana. I am farkin coocoo for Brussels sprouts so that will happen. Toron has my eye but so does the Salty Jowl Coca. I'll report back!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I've been so busy, but it was amazing!

We had a table of 4 people and we split the brussels sprouts, hamachi, cream of mushroom flatbread, and the butternut squash noodles among the table. i split the toron baco with another person, and for dessert we split the chocolate peanut butter molten cake and the pecan panna cotta. Everything was fucking outstanding. Our waiter recommended two great bottles of wine that we had, one was $46 and one was $57. He was pretty spectacular overall - extremely attentive, funny, and extremely helpful in talking about the food and making suggestions. it was a great experience and i would go again. After all that it ended up being $70/person after tip. And Gordon Ramsay showed up toward the end of the night and really fired up the energy in there.
    Reading this makes me want to go back.

The brussels sprouts were so fucking good.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It was nice to see brussels sprouts prepared in a very unique way too. i've never had them chopped up like that before. Very good!
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Has anyone been to Parish yet? I'm going for happy hour (and probably later) tomorrow, it looks awesome.

http://www.theparishla.com/
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Has anyone been to Parish yet? I'm going for happy hour (and probably later) tomorrow, it looks awesome.

http://www.theparishla.com/
    My roommate went last week... said it was a dope spot, but drinks were ridiculously priced.

Posted about it on the previous page!

Aha, yes you did!
    last.fm

I did Parish a few weeks ago. Yes, pricy drinks. Well, pricy everything. Pretty good. The usual gastropub set up. Nothing phenomenal, though the Russian Tulip cocktail (ha) was really refreshing.

Finally did Baco Mercat yesterday with a friend. We had the sauteed peaches, caesar brussels sprouts and the "el cordero" Boca along with a couple of glasses of rose.

I was not blown away by the food but it was very good. Much like Lazy Ox Canteen in concept and presentation. The brussels sprouts dish looked nothing like I imagined it would, but it was delicious and the best of the three items we ordered. The "el cordero" was like a flat bread pizza with tons of spicey sausage on it... and I mean spicey! Good thing I like it that way- my friend was a bit nonplussed after a couple of bites and unable to get past the heat.

The drink menu there is pretty damned impressive. Pricey, yes. But they've got an excellent selection of scotch and ryes and tons of cool mixed drinks. And the beer menu, though small, has some good stuff on it. I had a Paulaner Oktoberfest on draft while waiting for my friend- love that beer!

Bill came out to about $70, drinks, tip and all. I'll definitely go back.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Yeah, they have an excellent drink selection. We had some beers and cocktails while waiting for our table, and their wine eslection is fucking awesome and surprisingly affordable.
    last.fm

Yeah, they have an excellent drink selection. We had some beers and cocktails while waiting for our table, and their wine eslection is fucking awesome and surprisingly affordable.
    Agreed. And I to amend slightly what I said earlier about the drinks being pricey, it really is not any different than most other establishments in DT, especially the beer and wine. Pint of beer was $6-$8 and glass of wine was $7-$10 on average.

I liked the atmosphere too. And, although we didn't get a particularly memorable server, he was knowledgeable and attentive. Plus they let my friend and I stay and chat, even though they were already closed from lunch service. We weren't rushed at all. Very cool of them.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Agreed. And I to amend slightly what I said earlier about the drinks being pricey, it really is not any different than most other establishments in DT, especially the beer and wine. Pint of beer was $6-$8 and glass of wine was $7-$10 on average.

I liked the atmosphere too. And, although we didn't get a particularly memorable server, he was knowledgeable and attentive. Plus they let my friend and I stay and chat, even though they were already closed from lunch service. We weren't rushed at all. Very cool of them.
    Glad to hear you liked it. I was really happy when I saw that they had Alesmith Speedway Stout on the menu.

I need to get my ass back to that place, been thinking about those brussels sprouts ever since.

I plan on checking out Baco Mercat before heading to the Bootleg tonight!
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)
    8/08 - Spoon - Hollywood Forever
    8/10 - Paul McCartney - Dodger Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

There is a new spot in Burbank that is quite awesome. it's up in downtown Burbank not far from the AMC, and it's called Story taven. itg has a very old Europe feel in the decoration and feels very welcoming. It's mostly communal setting in the middle with a big bar. They have 22 beer taps and a large selection of bottles, many of which are available to purchase to go. About 1/3 of the taps are US craft brew, and the rest are Belgian, German, and English. They also have 4 ciders on tap, and 8 taps of win, as well a bunch of bottles. The food is quite good too! I had the steak wrap with mashed potatoes...the wrap wasn't particularly special, but the potatoes were amazing. My mom had the short rib last night. Also, last night they had an Eagle Rock Brewery tap-takeover with 8 or their beers and were pouring 20-oz cups for $6. looks like they're going to be doing a lot of these kinds of events.

http://www.storytavernburbank.com/
    last.fm

There is a new spot in Burbank that is quite awesome. it's up in downtown Burbank not far from the AMC, and it's called Story taven. itg has a very old Europe feel in the decoration and feels very welcoming. It's mostly communal setting in the middle with a big bar. They have 22 beer taps and a large selection of bottles, many of which are available to purchase to go. About 1/3 of the taps are US craft brew, and the rest are Belgian, German, and English. They also have 4 ciders on tap, and 8 taps of win, as well a bunch of bottles. The food is quite good too! I had the steak wrap with mashed potatoes...the wrap wasn't particularly special, but the potatoes were amazing. My mom had the short rib last night. Also, last night they had an Eagle Rock Brewery tap-takeover with 8 or their beers and were pouring 20-oz cups for $6. looks like they're going to be doing a lot of these kinds of events.

http://www.storytavernburbank.com/

This place looks awesome. I'm definitely trying this next time I'm in that area.

Anyone been to Hopscotch in Fullerton? I saw a pic of their Chorizo Chillaquilez on IG that I wanted to go and try this weekend coming up.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

Quote Originally Posted by EastLos01 View Post
    Anyone been to Hopscotch in Fullerton? I saw a pic of their Chorizo Chillaquilez on IG that I wanted to go and try this weekend coming up.
    Yes hopscotch is amazing! One of the most extensive whiskey and scotch menus i have ever seen. Not to mention their selection of craft beer is amazing. Get the knuckle sandwich IPA..hands down best IPA i have had..Best part is that its brewed in Fullerton

Paul is dead

Angel City re-opened yesterday. Looks like limited hours coming soon

http://blogdowntown.com/2013/01/7102...en-house-today

Just checked out The Phoenix bar on La Cienega and Wilshire-ish which is walking distance from my house. I believe it's the same owner as The Surly Goat on Santa Monica. Cool spot...dark wood low lighting spot and a bunch of games-Jenga, dominos, connect 4, a pool table and 2 shuffleboards. Their eating menu is pretty limited so I wouldn't show up hungry.

Going on a metro crawl tonight. Can anyone recommend any good bars on the metro route... mainly the gold and red lines.
    You know, but that's valid because if we are all gonna die anyway shouldn't we be enjoying ourselves now? You know, I'd like to quit thinking of the present, like right now, as some minor insignificant preamble to something else.

---------------------------------------------------
    It's that tad bit of Crazy that keeps me Sane...

There is nothing on the gold line really into you get to colorado blvd and that area.

Red line it's either hollywood or downtown. I would stick with downtown. There are at least 30 bars all within walking distance of the center of DT.

The best bar is the local bar where I get 50~65% or sometimes just free drinks for helping clean once in a blue moon and having family that works there. IF you're going out to drink, you can't beat that. I'd rather pay $2 for a beer than $3~4 or $8 at a concert. In fact it's why I don't drink at concerts a lot. Why would I pay for a drink that costs $12 when I can get it for $3~4 after? I'm cheap I know.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    There is nothing on the gold line really into you get to colorado blvd and that area.

Red line it's either hollywood or downtown. I would stick with downtown. There are at least 30 bars all within walking distance of the center of DT.
    I think he might have been coming from the east side though. you can hope off the gold line in Little Tokyo for a lot of good stuff - Far Bar and Wustkuche are right there.
    last.fm

The Beerathon looks like it's gonna give it another go this year in LA

http://blogdowntown.com/2013/02/7139...lans-to-return

Hi folks,

We're doing the basketball pre Coachella and wondering what drinking establishments are worthy of a pre Staples Centre booze up?

Cheers

Isnt this place within walking distance to Staples? I remember it as being a pretty cool whiskey spot.

Quote Originally Posted by gmoneyak View Post
    [IMG]7Grand.jpg[/IMG]

Isnt this place within walking distance to Staples? I remember it as being a pretty cool whiskey spot.
    It's a bit far too walk, imo. But yes it is a cool place. Upstairs from Mas Malo on 7th.

For places within walking distance of Staples, I like Cork Bar fine. Spent plenty of money there that's for sure! They have small but decent beer selection, lots of CA wine and a good burger. My fave hang before a Kings game

http://www.corkbar.com/

After last week's pub crawl with Drinkey, I am down with Villain's Tavern as one of the coolest haunts to drink at in LA. The drinks there are really good and it has a unique and laid back atmosphere (although supposed to get pretty jam packed at night with live bands). Not within walking distance of Staples but whatever. Awesome place

http://www.villainstavern.com/Home/VT.html

Seven Grand is only about a 10-15 minute walk. If you guys are going to have a couple hours to kill, there are several places in the financial district near 7 grand worth checking out: Casey's Pub, Public School 612, Dublin's, The Counter, Library Bar. Riordin's is a cool Irish pub basically across the street from L.A. Live. I'd recommend The Yardhouse, which has good food and an incredible taplist and is in the L.A. Live complex with Staples, but it gets paaaaaacked on game days. Good if you want to show up several hours early and hang (which i have done)
    last.fm

Yardhouse has a great beer selection- but you ain't kiddin about the crowd! Last time I was in there the bar was 4 deep. But, it's definitely the closest before an event.

Speaking of beer, there's also the more recently opened Los Angeles Brewing Company. That's about the same distance from Staples as 7 Grand but over on Broadway and 8th.

Oh man it's been a few years since I lived in LA, but Seven Grand, The Library, and Casey's were my favorite bars in that area. Maybe not walking to Staples, but a cheap cab away. All great spots, the first two with a little more style, and Casey's was just a good time.