Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Any recommendations for pub trivia/trivia nights in LA?

Gonna hit up Beer Belly before the Boris show tonight. Think I have my meal mapped out but any specific beer recommendations?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

the Surf City pale ale i had there last night was really good! The Stone Sublimely Self Righteous is really good too!
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Bar Sinister with the upstage Fetish area is really fun after all these years
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    the Surf City pale ale i had there last night was really good! The Stone Sublimely Self Righteous is really good too!
    Surf city brewery is great stuff.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Heather and I went to The Misfit in Santa Monica yesterday and totally fell in love! We actually went there for brunch, then walked around for a couple hours and just went back for dinner and drinks because it was so awesome and we were killing time in SM for the GV30 show.

It has a great atmosphere with a totally beautiful building, all the food we had was very good, extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly wait staff, and a very awesome beer and spirits selection. the bar tender made a Heather a number of his own recipes for bourbon cocktails that weren't on the menu that were all really good. Highly recommended! It feels much more like something you'd find downtown rather than the west side.
    http://www.themisfitbar.com/
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Hey, drunkards! Metro buses and trains are free all night -- plus they're running for 24 hours a day through January 2 and AAA has it's Tipsy Tow service available.

http://www.metro.net/media/uploads/new_years.pdf

http://news.aaa-calif.com/pr/aaa/tip...ar-220764.aspx

Indeed!

Also, I'm glad this was bumped because I discovered The fat Dog in WeHo on Fairfax between Willoughby and Santa Monica and it's fantastic! We had brunch there and my fried egg panini was delicious. They have a full bar with good tap slection and very excellent $5 bloody marys! It's also next door to a lesbian-run fancy butcher shop called Lindy & Grundy's and we bought delicious ice cream there.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Hey, drunkards! Metro buses and trains are free all night -- plus they're running for 24 hours a day through January 2 and AAA has it's Tipsy Tow service available.

http://www.metro.net/media/uploads/new_years.pdf

http://news.aaa-calif.com/pr/aaa/tip...ar-220764.aspx
    THIS. be safe out there kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I think the Redwood has this now.

On Wednesday nights there is a trivia night at Casey's Irish Pub in downtown. Thursdays there is one in the Weiland underground brewery at 5th/Flower across the street from the library. I'm sure there are others around DT.

I went to the Weiland one around a year ago... it was ok.

Hm. Thanks, guys. I work downtown. Those might be worth checking out.

I use to go to R Bar in Koreatown frequently for Tuesday night Trivia. Its fun, mainly because there are so little people and its easy to win free drinks!
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

5.24 William Fitzsimmons @ Troubador
    6.3 Preatures @ Echo
    6.5 Jezabels @ El Rey
    8.7 Eminem & Rhianna @ Rose Bowl
    8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest

Franklin and Company is now open... Everyone inside looks like an extra from a Black Keys video

I'm kinda over this neighborhood. Time to move to skid row.

My only knock on 7G is they can intentionally dissuade you from drinking anything other than the high end whiskies (or anything expensive). Last time I was there after work with co-workers, I asked to get a Chimay from the tap and they told me it was "broken" and the beer coming out would not be cold and I really should consider something else. I just wanted a beer, but got a Glenlivet instead. I decided after that I still wanted a beer and told them I'd take my chances. It was frosty cold and fine. Not a huge deal. Just saying.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    I spend entirely too much time at this place

http://www.wurstkucherestaurant.com/

Doesn't help that I just bought a condo within walking distance of it. While it does not have hard liquor, I'd argue its on-tap German and Belgian beers alone make it worth the schlep. And as for the sausages... well, check the menu on the above link yourself. It's as spectacular as it sounds. Plus, I have met quite a few people there in the communal beer garden who I'm starting to think of as friends. Very interesting place.
    This place sounds great. I'll definitely be checking it out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    This place sounds great. I'll definitely be checking it out soon.
    Their fries... definitely get the fries...

^Glad to see an oldy but goody re-post guys. Thanks! Coincidentally, I did hit my beloved Wurstkuche earlier today. I cannot recommend the Filipina Mahralika enough. Pile sweet peppers on that sucker! For the German brews, make sure and get Schneider's and on the Belgian side it is all about the Duchesse. Shame about all those excess pounds you'll jam on! But it's for your own good.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Wirtshaus on La Brea has some delicious grub and a great selection of beers.

Congregation Alehouse in Azusa. I guess they have locations in Pasadena and Long Beach, but haven't been to those.

http://congregationalehouse.com/

Great burgers and sausages.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

The Beer Belly had a pretty good write up on The LA Times recently.

I checked out Wurstkuche last week, a pretty great selection of German and Belgium beers, along with amazing hot dogs (ranging from vegetarian to duck/rattlesnake). It's grouped with a couple other interesting restaurants in a tight little corner, including Nola's, a New Orleans Jazz spot. They have jazz every night and during lunch hours, pretty great to just order a drink and watch rotating band members jam. Friday and Saturday nights there is a cover (i heard $10).

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Franklin and Company is now open... Everyone inside looks like an extra from a Black Keys video

I'm kinda over this neighborhood. Time to move to skid row.
    This place attracts some gorgeous women, it's unfortunate that most of them are aspiring actresses and scientologists but nonetheless GORGEOUS. They also have a great beer selection, allow you to smoke outside, and the food is pretty cheap. Have fun in skid row.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

The Village Idiot in Hollywood is GREAT. it's half bar / half casual (but hip) restaurant, with an open kitchen. i think they're known for their burgers there.

great atmosphere inside at night and they have a solid beer selection (as in more than just macro brews)

http://villageidiotla.com/

mja: "i would make a great effeminate hick-accented puppet"

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Frye View Post
    The Village Idiot in Hollywood is GREAT. it's half bar / half casual (but hip) restaurant, with an open kitchen. i think they're known for their burgers there.

great atmosphere inside at night and they have a solid beer selection (as in more than just macro brews)

http://villageidiotla.com/

The village idiot...I think this is the same place that is opening up a location in Silverlake. taking over the old Le Barcito. It was the first 21+ gay bar i snuck into at 18. I hope they clean up the sticky floors, that place was gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Wirtshaus on La Brea has some delicious grub and a great selection of beers.
    I pass by this every day and I've really been wanting to try it. The only thing that stops me is that I'm always passing by during high traffic times and have my boyfriend's son with me. Maybe I will try it out on a weekend soon. Where did you park?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    ^Glad to see an oldy but goody re-post guys. Thanks! Coincidentally, I did hit my beloved Wurstkuche earlier today. I cannot recommend the Filipina Mahralika enough. Pile sweet peppers on that sucker! For the German brews, make sure and get Schneider's and on the Belgian side it is all about the Duchesse. Shame about all those excess pounds you'll jam on! But it's for your own good.
    Thanks for the advice man! My girlfriend and I are going to go over there today for the first time so I'll be posting tomorrow after my great experience that I know I'm going to have. Any suggestion on what time of day to go so that we don't have to wait very long? I'll probably already be there by the time you see this, but just in case...

check out the pie hole while you are over there

x2 on the Pie Hole. I did up the savory mushroom tart last time I was there. That thing is good! Again, sorry about the excess lbs around your waistline.

Best time to go to Wursty is exactly 4pm every day.

Right on thanks Sonny. 4 p.m. sounds good. Can't fucking wait

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    I pass by this every day and I've really been wanting to try it. The only thing that stops me is that I'm always passing by during high traffic times and have my boyfriend's son with me. Maybe I will try it out on a weekend soon. Where did you park?
    We lucked out and got a spot right in front. It's kid friendly too. We were there with Izzy and my 2 year old neice. Definitly recommend the pretzel with their housemade honey mustard sauce. Best fucking sauce I have ever had in my life.