Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best bars in Los Angeles

Default Re: Best bars in Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    At work we had lunch catered from Bay Cities Deli yesterday. I don't know what you lot were going on about. My pastrami sandwich was worse that the shit they serve at Subway. The pastrami had no flavor, the bread was sopping wet from being doused in a bland italian seasoning and the cheese was a little off. Any good Jewish style/NY style delis in LA? Would love to get a tongue sandwich.
    Bay Cities is an italian style deli, not a jewish deli.
    Go back and try the Godmother.

Quote Originally Posted by solution View Post
    I've eaten the Godmother several times and loved it. I do ask them to go easy on the dressing but other than that, killer sammich.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Chicken apple sucks. Austin blues is my favorite. I get mine with sweet peppers.
    Got a day off tomorrow to recover from two late nights with Massive Attack and then a big (successful) presentation at work today. My reward? An afternoon at Wurstkuche! I'll give your suggestion of Austin Blues with peppers a try. Also, still recommending the Filipino for those who have not tried it. I like that one a lot.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by solution View Post
    Yeah, I know it's an Italian deli. I've had fantastic pastrami sandwiches at Italian delis before. The one I had from Bay Cities was a complete disaster -- absolutely drenched in a foul dressing, no flavor in the meat, cheese that seemed a bit off. Perhaps it was just an off day? You all do seem to rave about this place.

Or maybe I just have a different palate. I went to Roscoe's with a friend last night. First time for both of us. The staff was super nice, the service was fast. The food was so average. If I'm going to eat something so unhealthy, I would expect so much more flavor there. I've honestly gotten better fried chicken from Alberton's. It wasn’t bad by any stretch, but I was expecting so much more. The chicken hardly had any flavor. The breading/batter was so lightly applied; it was barely there. Zero crunch. The Mac n Cheese was decent, but nothing special. I just don’t get it.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 05-20-2010 at 08:27 PM.

Or maybe I just have a different palate. I went to Roscoe's with a friend last night. First time for both of us. The staff was super nice, the service was fast. The food was so average. If I'm going to eat something so unhealthy, I would expect so much more flavor there. I've honestly gotten better fried chicken from Alberton's. It wasnít bad by any stretch, but I was expecting so much more. The chicken hardly had any flavor. The breading/batter was so lightly applied; it was barely there. Zero crunch. The Mac n Cheese was decent, but nothing special. I just donít get it.
    I'm with you on that. I went to the one in Long Beach last year for the first time and the service was absolutely terrible and the food was just mediocre for all the hype. Probably won't go back. I'm surprised so many people say they love that place.
    waka waka

Went to Wurstkuche last night and had the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno Sausage with Peppers and Onions, It was awesome. Highly recommend it.
    waka waka

Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    Went to Wurstkuche last night and had the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno Sausage with Peppers and Onions, It was awesome. Highly recommend it.
    Good to hear. That sausuage is suprisingly good and not just a novelty. Did you rock sauerkraut or sweet peppers with it? Which beer did you decide on?

I was there for a few hours yesterday in the afternoon. Tried both the Lousiana Hot Link and the Buffalo, Beef, Pork both for the first time. I went with grilled onions on the hot link and sauerkraut on the BB&P (in hindsight I should have switched that up and put the onions on the BB&P). Both were great! 2 liters of Spatan Pils too. It was a lazy day once work was outta the way. Wurstkuche makes me happy.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| NIN/Soundgarden| Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Fleetwood Mac

I had an optimator at Wurstkuche today. It's nice to go during the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I did the sweet peppers with the it. Not a huge fan of sauerkraut, but i'll get around to trying it just to find out if they got something quality. I paired the sausage with a Aventinus Eisbock and then a glass of the La Chouffe golden ale, both were good but opposite type beers. I definitely liked the Aventinus better though, the rich bold flavor it delivers is too good.

Next time I will definitely try the Duck + Bacon sausage. It was a close decision between that and the Rattlesnake + Rabbit + Jalapeno last time.
    waka waka

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

if you're ever in the valley and hankering for a good sausage, Brats Brothers on Ventura Blvd near Woodman is really terrific. It's on the same block i work on, so I eat there a lot. Only bummer is that it's a small take-out style place and they don't have beer. Their sausage selection is great, and don't forget to try the authentic German pretzel, YUM

http://www.bratsbrothers.com/menu
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    if you're ever in the valley and hankering for a good sausage, Brats Brothers on Ventura Blvd near Woodman is really terrific. It's on the same block i work on, so I eat there a lot. Only bummer is that it's a small take-out style place and they don't have beer. Their sausage selection is great, and don't forget to try the authentic German pretzel, YUM

http://www.bratsbrothers.com/menu
    That is a sweet lookin menu. I loves me some Sauerbraten! Shame about the lack of beer tho. I'll check it out next time I am over that direction.

I remember somebody at Wurstkuche telling me that a west side location was going to be opening at some point in time in the near future, this was about 3 months ago, anybody know anything about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I remember somebody at Wurstkuche telling me that a west side location was going to be opening at some point in time in the near future, this was about 3 months ago, anybody know anything about that?
    Yes. I know that if that happens, then I will be even more broke than I am now.
    7/12 - Nick Cave - Ace
    7/13 - New Order - Greek (?)
    7/17 - The Field - Echoplex (?)
    7/19 - Gregg Allman - KCRW
    7/22 - Man or Astro-man? - Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Huarache Azteca in Highland Park.

Sorry man, that place is crap.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Nope. It's not exactly a high-end place, though, you might have showed up during an off day/night. For the record, the one near Dodger Stadium is not as good as the one across the river.

Casita Del Campo in Silverlake has some awesome Mexican food and margaritas. A friend took me on my birthday and afterward we watched a show that was held downstairs called "Chico's Angels". It was basically Charlie's Angels with Latina drag queens. Good times.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dripdripdrop View Post
    Casita Del Campo in Silverlake has some awesome Mexican food and margaritas. A friend took me on my birthday and afterward we watched a show that was held downstairs called "Chico's Angels". It was basically Charlie's Angels with Latina drag queens. Good times.
    This sounds amazing.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ha! If that's the same group, I think I've seen Chico's Angels perform in OC and they were a riot. I usually find drag acts a total snoozefest, but they were really funny.

Went to Chapa Grill with some co-workers for lunch today. Your basic quick casual Mediterranean style grill. Pretty damn good. Not great, but pretty damn good. I had the Jerusalem Mix (Lamb, chicken and beef skewers). The lamb was especially succulent.

old school

I just donít get it.
    there is nothing to get. its LA. the food is garbage.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by dripdripdrop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    This sounds amazing.
    Ha! If that's the same group, I think I've seen Chico's Angels perform in OC and they were a riot. I usually find drag acts a total snoozefest, but they were really funny.
    Chico's Angel's is fuckin hilarious. They have 4 "episodes" and they are worth going back and rewatching cuz they usually revamp the script each time they redo an episode. My favorite is probably the one where they are undercover high school girls by day/hookers by night.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    7/9 Cloud Nothings@Roxy - 7/19&20 VIVA! Pomona - 8/3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy

Oaks Gourmet Breakfast Burrito

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Chico's Angel's is fuckin hilarious. They have 4 "episodes" and they are worth going back and rewatching cuz they usually revamp the script each time they redo an episode. My favorite is probably the one where they are undercover high school girls by day/hookers by night.
    This sounds weird as fuck.

I kinda wanna check this out.
    waka waka

Chico's Angels

didn't even know they started a web-series, i'll have to check it out when I get home. For the Cavern Club theatre, they're all undercover/crime solving plays, complete with original songs. Lots of bad puns and messican accents, but totally hilarious. I remember seeing a "Love Boat" (murder on a cruise) episode, the aformentioned high school/hooker episode, and a beauty pageant episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    7/9 Cloud Nothings@Roxy - 7/19&20 VIVA! Pomona - 8/3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy

Chico's Angels

didn't even know they started a web-series, i'll have to check it out when I get home. For the Cavern Club theatre, they're all undercover/crime solving plays, complete with original songs. Lots of bad puns and messican accents, but totally hilarious. I remember seeing a "Love Boat" (murder on a cruise) episode, the aformentioned high school/hooker episode, and a beauty pageant episode.
    I'm sold. hahaha
    waka waka

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Oaks Gourmet Breakfast Burrito
    Describe

Shit, I didn't realize they had multiple episodes! I've only seen the "Love Boat" one.

Yeah, the show was hilarious, especially after a couple of margaritas.

Did Canters. Nice for the experience but I can't figure out how it's lasted so long. Food was bland as hell. Tongue sandwich was an embarrassment. I was really looking forward to having a tongue sandwich as there aren't many Jewish delis back in SD. Tried a piece of my friend's 7 layer chocolate cake. The primary ingredient was definitely sugar; super sweet and absolutely no depth of flavor.

On a positive note, I got some surprisingly excellent Drunken Noodles (you know, the ubiquitous spicy Thai noodle dish made with lots of chili past and basil leaves) from Thai Original BBQ.

Did Canters. Nice for the experience but I can't figure out how it's lasted so long. Food was bland as hell. Tongue sandwich was an embarrassment. I was really looking forward to having a tongue sandwich as there aren't many Jewish delis back in SD. Tried a piece of my friend's 7 layer chocolate cake. The primary ingredient was definitely sugar; super sweet and absolutely no depth of flavor.
    Dude- what is it with you and deli in LA? Why not just accept it's not as good here and instead go after the type of food we do well?
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 06-02-2010 at 09:41 PM.

I accept it. I do. I just had to try Canters at least once.

I accept it. I do. I just had to try Canters at least once.
    Fair enough. You make it over to Wurstkuche yet? I have the day off tomorrow and will be meeting some friends there around noon to drink beers and eat sausage. Message me if interested.