View Poll Results: Would you pay more money for a ticket if GV reduced capacity?

Voters
216. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was too crowded this year and I am willing to pay a little more to make my Coachella experience better

128 59.26%
  • No, the over-crowded festival is GV's mistake and they need to address that without dipping into my pockets even more

88 40.74%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you pay more $$ for a ticket if it meant reducing capacity?

Default Re: Would you pay more $$ for a ticket if it meant reducing capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean you make more money; just that you are better at saving. I already have a couple hundred saved up for 2011.
    This. Put $5 dollars away in a coat pocket everyday for a year and you'll have over $1800. My girlfriend and I have already saved almost enough for 1 ticket and the festival is still 10.5 months away.

To answer the question, I would gladly pay more to ensure smaller crowds, but we all know that won't happen. That being said, I'll still have a great time at Coachella whether they cap attendance at 60 or 75K
    Last edited by greghead; 05-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

My answer is 550 bucks for 3 days. I hate people.
    $350*85,000=$29,750,000.00
    $400*74,375=$29,750,000.00
    $450*66,111=$29,750,000.00
    $500*59,500=$29,750,000.00
    $550*54,090=$29,750,000.00
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I would absolutely pay another $75-100 for 15,000 less heads. I still will have fun no matter what, but the more intimate the festival the better.

Though I know that since the capacity was stepped up and they probably made more money than ever that there is no chance that they will go back to a lower capacity. Unfortunately money takes priority over anything else
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Though now that they have the land for 10 more years they are going to start developing on it. That might mean that they will somehow find ways to un-cluster fuck it via development.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Though now that they have the land for 10 more years they are going to start developing on it. That might mean that they will somehow find ways to un-cluster fuck it via development.
    I just wonder how they can do it. The way the Polo Fields are laid out, it's hard to imagine just how they would be able to "un-clusterfuck it". They could move the Do Lab to the locker area but that could clog the enterance even more.

They COULD put a stage where the one in the campground was this year but that would make it easy for people to sneak in to the festival altogether if they end up incorporating that area.

What are some ways where they really could expand the area?
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Nobody has ever given a single fuck about anything you've ever had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Erik or Dani: Can we change Spooks' member title to "Stupid Pigfucker"? thanks.

i voted yes, but not due to overcrowding. i had no problem getting up close for the sets i wanted, restrooms/water was fast, etc...

but i wouldn't mind the increase in price to put tickets out of reach for some of the douchebags and teenie-raver etards...
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Would we have noticed the over-crowding as much if they would've done a better job booking groups/artists to the appropriate stage/tent?

There were so many artists at the outdoor that should've been in the main. There were a a few in the Gobi that should've been in a much bigger tent. I almost wonder if next year the Gobi will just be a 2nd Mojave... I mean there won't be a tent that small anymore if there's the same attendance.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2014 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

if they raise the price and sell less tickets then it will make it that much easier for the scalpers to buy them all up and charge a lot more than this year. its all about supply and demand. did anyone pay attention during economics?
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs January 11 - Muse January 21 - Cannabis Cup February 17 - UFC 157 February 23 - Coachella W1 - Rolling Stones May 15 - Tame Impala May 30 - Flying Lotus June 1- Infected Mushroom June 20 - EDC June 21-22 - Americanarama Aug. 3 - Queens of the Stone Age Aug. 17 - Black Sabbath Aug 28 & Sept. 3 - Dave Chappelle Sept. 15 - Nocturnal Wonderland Sept. 21 - the Dead Sept. 28 - NIN Nov. 8

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

$100 a day is just fine. I love the crowds. People watching is part of the fun of Coachella!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

No, you fucking moron. Clearly you didn’t pay attention in Economics class.

If Goldenvoice has X thousand of tickets to sell, that means their supply line is vertical, right? At some point, that supply line would cross the downward sloping demand line, right? That intersection would be the market price for tickets, yes? BUT, tickets sold out in a matter of 5 days, which would indicate that they priced tickets BELOW that intersection (market price) for tickets. In return, they received revenue of X thousand of tickets times the price they set (the area within that box).

The area above that box (between the demand line and the price set) is the market opportunity of scalpers. That area is currently a trapezoid, which has more area than a triangle. That area is freaking big right now. You will never eliminate that area completely, but what you can do is make it as close to a triangle as possible.

How do you make it a triangle? Simply raise prices up to the intersection of the demand line and the vertical supply line. The sum of revenues paid by attendees doesn’t change. Instead, GV ends up with more revenue and the scalpers end up with less.

Yes, lowering capacity(moving supply line to the left) would create a larger trapezoid above the price line (for scalpers), but the solution would be the same. GV would have to raise prices up to the demand line. That would create a smaller triangle, even further reducing the opportunity for scalpers.

/econ 100a
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

What Playa said.

I would pay a little more, but not scalper level.

Well after this year, it's obvious that raising prices to lower capacity is not needed. I also made this thread without realizing 30,000 extra people got in last year without paying.

What economic term would describe that?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Theft.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

You guys are all pussies
    Kaaaaast

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Would we have noticed the over-crowding as much if they would've done a better job booking groups/artists to the appropriate stage/tent?

There were so many artists at the outdoor that should've been in the main. There were a a few in the Gobi that should've been in a much bigger tent. I almost wonder if next year the Gobi will just be a 2nd Mojave... I mean there won't be a tent that small anymore if there's the same attendance.
    I love how this actually happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    You guys are all pussies
    Says the guy who thinks Aerosmith deserves to headline Coachella.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Says the guy who thinks Aerosmith deserves to headline Coachella.
    Don't you dare fix your lips to speak ill of Steven Tyler.
    Kaaaaast

Didn't find it too overcrowded this year. If you rush in at the same time as everyone else does and see the big must see acts, well its going to be crowded. Same thing if you were to see the same big must see act in any venue. Fortunately for '12 they've got two weekends. I don't think capacity will be such a big issue anymore. I've also found as I've grown older, I have no desire to be up in the front of Sahara. Behind the soundboard over to the right has more room to dance, sound is good, and less random creepers who end up standing next to your friends and ogling the girls like they've never seen boobs in a bathing suit before.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Don't you dare fix your lips to speak ill of Steven Tyler.

He should really just admit that he's a lesbian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Didn't find it too overcrowded this year. If you rush in at the same time as everyone else does and see the big must see acts, well its going to be crowded. Same thing if you were to see the same big must see act in any venue. Fortunately for '12 they've got two weekends. I don't think capacity will be such a big issue anymore. I've also found as I've grown older, I have no desire to be up in the front of Sahara. Behind the soundboard over to the right has more room to dance, sound is good, and less random creepers who end up standing next to your friends and ogling the girls like they've never seen boobs in a bathing suit before.
    thats my spot...like on the gate right front of the sound booth....same here, I dont try cramming into the crowd....gorillas was the last attempt and I almospt freaked out. Too many twerps.
    You wanna fook on me?!

So...how much would I have to pay to be the only attendee? But for both weekends obviously, cause of conflicts.

just throwing this out there, but if they made it 21+ or 18+ that overall attendance would be down, wouldn't you say?

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i would probably cap out at $400
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Who the fuck cares, they ain't doing it. I wonder how high they'd have to hike the price point just to not sell out in the presale again.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
    just throwing this out there, but if they made it 21+ or 18+ that overall attendance would be down, wouldn't you say?
    i'm wising up to this idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    the best songs are the ones that dont remind you of anyone in particular yet still give you that utter euphoric contentedness of perfection in your mind, body and soul. keep them close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    A bag of doritos > RHCP > getting kicked in the balls > Mumford & Sons > skinned alive > Macklemore
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottb View Post
    Ohh god, you guys are so fucking sensitive. Yes there is potential to get laid at Coachella if you camp or are willing to have sex against the fences by the Sahara.

It's funny seeing this poll now, they can hike it up to 500 and the fest would still sell out, just not by presale most likely
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.