Thread: Polo club neighbors plead for tighter reins

Talking Polo club neighbors plead for tighter reins

Polo club neighbors plead for tighter reins

Residents don't want repeat of traffic, trespassing problems next Coachella

Xochitl Peña • The Desert Sun • April 30, 2010

Indio residents who live near the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival venue have asked city officials for tighter controls so traffic congestion, trespassing and other issues that plagued this years festival at Empire Polo Club aren't repeated next year.

“The last three years these festivals were dialed in, police were in control,” said resident Dana Brown.

Not so much this time around, she said.

Brown was among a handful of residents who complained to the Indio Planning Commission on Wednesday.

Because of the record number of people attending the concert, she sat watch on her deck and stopped trespassers.

“This (year) was very poorly planned,” Brown said.

The city's police department has addressed the complaints from residents and is working with the concert promoter and venue owner to ensure a smoother concert next year, said Ben Guitron, Indio Police Department spokesman.

“Obviously this is an event that has grown,” Guitron said. “We are working with the property owner, working with the surrounding properties to readjust and make it better for next year.”

The police department received 48 complaints over the Coachella festival weekend, April 16 to April 18, for everything from noise and trespassing to people bothering animals and using their property as bathrooms.

David Lasman said some people tried to break into his home one of the weekends, and some people got onto his property and rode his horses.

Other residents like Janis Dawson complained of being “landlocked” because of the difficulty in leaving her home.

“This year was beyond unbearable for us,” she said.

Part of the problem, some believe, is that the Coachella festival, in its 11th year with record crowds of 75,000 per day, experienced growing pains.

The grounds were also expanded to accommodate more parking in places never used before, said Guitron.

The logistics for the Stagecoach country music concert held the following weekend were typical of previous years and not as problematic, Guitron said.

Nearby resident Patricia Aiken said she's not bothered “too much” by the event but suggested an increase in police presence.

Guitron said that to make the event run smoother next year it's not just about adding more police power.

He said security, fencing and directional signage also play a part in the event's organization and flow.

“Police will have to re-evaluate its deployment, work with the property owner and Goldenvoice to provide all levels of services,” he said.

Goldenvoice this year paid a deposit to the city for $900,000 to cover city costs including public safety for both festivals.

Each year the amount of police coverage is evaluated and will be discussed again before the next festival and adjusted if need be, Guitron said.

David Yrigoyen, a neighbor of the polo grounds on the La Quinta side, recommends that a study be done to address issues such as traffic, dust control and lighting.

“This thing is growing and the traffic is horrendous,” he said. “It seems to me the venue isn't ready to take on that number (of attendees).”

Chris Escobedo, senior management analyst with the city, said those properties have been analyzed and they can support that type of use.

“An environmental analysis was completed in 1995, and it analyzed the various land uses for that site, which included festivals and special events,” he said via e-mail.
    Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 04-30-2010 at 06:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Default Re: Polo club neighbors plead for tighter reins

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Mornin' Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Hmmm...well, the only time I trespassed on someone's property this year was on our walk home down Monroe when someone's TINY puppy was running in the road. There was no one in sight, so I picked the little wriggly thing up with some effort and started into the yard to either put it back inside or find someone to give it to. This guy charged my husband, who was still standing in the street, and yelled, "Tell that girl to get out of my yard!!" He then stalked down to me and started yelling at me but I protested that I was only trying to save his dog from certain death. He said, "Well, okay, but you're lucky my other dog didn't attack you. See it right there?" I then saw a huge dog was looming on the porch in the dark. I hightailed it out of there, cursing that asshole and hoping both of those dogs, especially the puppy, find new homes.

While I'm sure people do get their fair share of messed up "visitors" onto their property, I think they need to have a bit less of an "attack, then ask questions" attitude. Just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by yeahfontaine View Post
    I think they need to have a bit less of an "attack, then ask questions" attitude.
    I'm guessing you weren't the first visitor he'd had in his yard that night.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Awesome ...

Chris Escobedo, senior management analyst with the city, said those properties have been analyzed and they can support that type of use.

“An environmental analysis was completed in 1995, and it analyzed the various land uses for that site, which included festivals and special events,” he said via e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Traffic may suck, but at least no endangered species are put at risk.

unless you count the level headed Coachella veterans that are there to enjoy the music and not ride other people's horses.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

less people =
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie

I feel like if they've had this evaluation of the land since 1995, it hasn't really done much for them parking wise. Are they just now interpreting it??

People's lawns getting trespassed over and stuff along that line are the faults of the disrespectful attendees and jerks that were this year. Has this really been a severe problem in the past?

the articles again proves alot of points from the veterans on this board that there were alot more assholes that went to this festival this year....

............ and that the City of Indio work off data that precedes the festival by 4yrs.

No wonder that town is a shithole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Well this is good news. I think this should confirm that attendance will be capped next year. I don't see GV ignoring the community that has previously embraced this festival.

David Lasman said some people tried to break into his home one of the weekends, and some people got onto his property and rode his horses
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

A lawn is a serious thing in a desert.

No more free tickets for indio residents, they're just gonna duplicate them and sell them on craigslist. Instead give them to civilized palm springs residents, like myself. =)

Traffic may suck, but at least no endangered species are put at risk.

The Coachella Valley Fringe-toed Lizard, Uma inornata, is a Californian species of lizard. It is listed as an endangered species in California, a threatened species in the United States

I swear, I thought the title said "tighter penis" for a minute.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by slurpee View Post
    David Lasman said some people tried to break into his home one of the weekends, and some people got onto his property and rode his horses
    I can't blame the locals for getting upset. As an Indio (local), shit like this not only pisses me off but it compromises the festival in general. Some of the polo horses around here are worth a small fortune. Should a horse become injured or even worse, if some rider was to become injured or killed while joy riding a polo horse, think of the law suits and bad publicity that would result. Coachella doesn't need this kind of dark cloud hovering above the polo fields. What it needs is better and more efficient planning, security and crowd control. I really doubt that we'll ever see a fewer number of tickets being sold. There's money to be made and limiting the amount of revenue that Coachella brings in is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I swear, I thought the title said "tighter penis" for a minute.
    at least we know what's on your mind.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Suffacated View Post
    I can't blame the locals for getting upset. As an Indio (local), shit like this not only pisses me off but it compromises the festival in general. Some of the polo horses around here are worth a small fortune. Should a horse become injured or even worse, if some rider was to become injured or killed while joy riding a polo horse, think of the law suits and bad publicity that would result. Coachella doesn't need this kind of dark cloud hovering above the polo fields. What it needs is better and more efficient planning, security and crowd control. I really doubt that we'll ever see a fewer number of tickets being sold. There's money to be made and limiting the amount of revenue that Coachella brings in is nothing more than wishful thinking.
    Buzzkill. I hope I never get old, man.

A mini midnight drunken polo tourney would have been fantastic.
    Last edited by J~$$$$; 04-30-2010 at 10:27 AM.