Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The XX @ House Of Blues

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: The XX @ House Of Blues

oh nice, okay. I totally don't need to rush to do my pre-drinking then. I'll be at Blue Palms before the show btw if anyone wants to meet up. Probably between 5 and 6
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Blue Palms has Hanger 24 2nd Annv.(which is emily's favorite) and they have AleSmith Speedway Stout on draft if you have never had that before.

If u are ever in my area we'll go to Hanger 24 it's just another 20-25 mins east on the 210
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

So yeah... did not have a good time tonight at the Palladium.

1) That was the most crowed I've ever seen the Palladium and it seemed like the people that were there honestly couldn't have given a shit less about what was going on during the show.

2) The XX sounded like shit in my opinion. While their vocals are on spot and sound pretty close to the album, the lack of a second guitar really hurts their overall sound.

3) That many people and The XX's music don't go well together. It has been stated on here before but their music is truely made for an intimate venue. It all felt too big for them. I had the same complaint about the Coachella set. When you are playing music like that in a venue of that size it's hard to keep people's attention for the full time.

This will be the last time I see The XX unless they add a second guitarist back to the lineup. It's a shame because I really do love their music, but I just don't think it holds up live.

One funny thing did happy though... At one point Oliver was talking about how they were glad to be back in Los Angeles and how last night was the first time they had ever had chicken and waffles. This one guy next to me leans over and said "Are they talkin bout Roscoes?" I replied, "I'm pretty sure." He then screamed, "Goddamn that chickens good!"

mmmm chicken and waffles
    Translation

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Zack, I had the Alesmith Speedway and it was fucking delicious! I also had the Firestone DBA that won silver at GABF which was great, and the hangar 24 Orange Wheat, which was a bit too tart for my taste. i should have had the anniversary instead.

Darkside, i had a totally different experience than you, I thought the band sounded amazing. Perhaps it was because I didn't have the highest expectations for their sound holding up in a room that size, but I was extremely surprised how rich and full they sounded. they are also a testament to how much good lighting can add to a performanc ,e because the incredibly dramatic lighting was really great. I also really liked all the segues and extended intros they played to bring the set up to an even hour.

I also very much enjoyed Zola Jesus (although it was strange to see a 4 piece band that consisted of 3 keyboard players and a drummer), and Warpaint was pretty good, though not great. All in all, I had a very good time last night.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I thought The xx were great!
    It was pretty crowded though, and it didn't help that there were a lot of obnoxious people cutting to the front, but that always happens. Watching The xx in a small intimate venue would be perfect though imo.

Their sound was terrific to me! As Drinkey said, the add-ons to the songs were great. Oliver was pretty awesome during "Fantasy." All the women around me were begging to bear his babies hahaha! I just think that "The Intro" and "Crystalised" were sorta underwhelming, but The Outro and Infinity though.... wow. I couldn't get enough of the lightning either. It totally suited the aesthetics of the band.

Did anyone get one of those hand printed show posters after the show? I thought they were nice so I got one heh.

Yay, 1st post

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Zack, I had the Alesmith Speedway and it was fucking delicious! I also had the Firestone DBA that won silver at GABF which was great, and the hangar 24 Orange Wheat, which was a bit too tart for my taste. i should have had the anniversary instead.
    It could of been the order you had your drinks light to dark is a easy method.Glad you like Speedway I love that beer especially since it's has the same amount of alcohol as Fourloko.

I hope XX plays smaller venues next tour and has way more material.
    Translation

Last.fm