Mods, you should make Arizona ****.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Default Re: The Illegal Immigration Thread

Looking for a tutor?
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I'm gonna ask my girlfriend to call her dad and see if he's okay. Arizona just doesn't exist anymore to me, that's how much I'm ignoring it.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Oh look at you completely changing your post.

You're learning quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

This thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    apparently bands (don't remember the list, it include Stars) have declared that they are boycotting Arizona by skipping the state on all of their upcoming tours.
    ok, now I am mad.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Learn to swim.

Quote Originally Posted by hacking my dreams View Post
    Well, a list would have been nice.
    1. Stars
    2. others
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Also, San Francisco is voting to kill off all political business contracts with businesses based in Arizona.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

This is like that MLK day nonsense all over again. Ugh. I hate the majority party in this state.

Eta Carinae, for one, has already made a public statement.

Haha, a fight between Stars and Fucked Up

Home | Financial Post | News | Opinion | Arts | Life | Sports | Homes | Cars | Blogs | Multimedia | Classifieds

Main | About | Contact Editor | Subscribe RSS

Montreal band Stars to boycott Arizona over immigration bill
    Posted: April 28, 2010, 12:37 PM by Brad Frenette
    Music, Stars, F**ked Up

[Don't expect to see this anytime soon, Arizona. Credit: Andersju]

The Arizona fanbase of melancholic-rockers Stars will have to wait to see the Montreal band.

In a Twitter message posted yesterday (@montrealstars), the band stated: "We love AZ. but until its racist new immigration law is repealed, stars (and many others) will boycott this state."

The law, Senate Bill 1070, was passed last week, and is considered the toughest of its kind in the US. It states that immigrants in Arizona are required to have legal status documentation on their person at all times.

After Stars put their message out, Damian Abraham, the lead singer of Canada's current Polaris Prize winner, the Toronto-based punk band F**ked Up retorted with this message, via his own Twitter account (@leftfordamian): "Don't get me wrong, I think the AZ immigration bill is horrible and must be repealed but I also think that indie bands boycotting the state is inane. Do Stars honestly think that by denying the state their brand of dreamy pop that they're going to force the governor's hand? All this does is not give the people that like your band enough credit and assumes that they are in someway supportive of the bill. Mind you, if you are Nickleback and a fan base of those types of douche bags then boycotting is a good strategy."

The conversation has extended over Twitter over the past day. It would be a stretch to call it a feud, more like a polite disagreement:

Stars:
    just heard F**ked Up don't support a boycott of AZ. um...one of them has a job on fox news...so..yeah....we all have a voice! lets use it!
    boycotts work for many reasons . one of which is they incite discussion and debate and thought....its not about our shitty pop band.......
    Props to F**ked Up for taking up the argument but of course stars wont change anything....but TOGETHER people can change the world...

Abraham:
    @montrealstars 1st: No I don't work for Fox, nice try 2nd: I kinda like your band. 3rd: No dis, I just think your analysis lacks nuance.

Stars:
    @leftfordamian nuance ain't a twitter characteristic, thats fer sure. well, sir: what is to be done? lemme hear it.

Abraham:
    @montrealstars shows as an opportunity to engage the people there to get involved (they are the ones after all capable to affecting change in the state), use press ops before the show to talk about what is going on in the local media, donate some of the guarantee to nomoredeaths.org or other such groups that work on the front lines fighting draconian immigration laws.... hell even get them to table at the show.

Stars:
    @leftfordamian 1. it goes without saying that fucked up are pretty fucking awesome. 2. of course many folks there are appalled. but...
    @leftfordamian 3. publicity rules in this culture. and until AZ feels the economic effects of this, their politicians are going to keep...selling fear....cause it's wirkig for them. tell you what all 35 stars fans in AZ, organize a protest concert! we'll be there...

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/b...#ixzz0mXAHUkjA
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

I actually think boycotting businesses and such makes a lot of sense. It sucks for the businesses (and fans of Canadian indie bands), but eventually the message will get to the right place.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    I actually think boycotting businesses and such makes a lot of sense. It sucks for the businesses (and fans of Canadian indie bands), but eventually the message will get to the right place.
    Oh fuck you.

I heard people are trying to collect signatures to put this on the November ballot so we can vote this fucking thing out of existence. Which would be nice.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 04-29-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Do Stars honestly think that by denying the state their brand of dreamy pop that they're going to force the governor's hand? All this does is not give the people that like your band enough credit and assumes that they are in someway supportive of the bill.
    Hard to argue with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Oh fuck you.

I heard people are trying to collect signatures to put this on the November ballott so we can vote this fucking thing out of existence. Which would be nice.
    Boycotting's faster.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Boycotting's faster.
    No it's honestly just showier.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hard to argue with this.
    Pretty much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I believe in spitting on legal mexicans because eventually the illegal ones will understand we don't like any brown people.

Where's Tommy, he's first. Marooko you're next.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Oh fuck you.
    Fuck yea, get em'!

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I believe in spitting on legal mexicans because eventually the illegal ones will understand we don't like any brown people.

Where's Tommy, he's first. Marooko you're next.
    What are you babbling about?
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Your nonsensical rationale of how boycotting works.

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

"tell you what all 35 stars fans in AZ, organize a protest concert! we'll be there..."

stars are either very modest or very ignorant.
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying

It's just another law that isn't gonna be enforced.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

April 29, 2010
    Op-Ed Contributor
    Why Arizona Drew a Line
    By KRIS W. KOBACH
    Kansas City, Kan.

ON Friday, Gov. Jan Brewer of Arizona signed a law — SB 1070 — that prohibits the harboring of illegal aliens and makes it a state crime for an alien to commit certain federal immigration crimes. It also requires police officers who, in the course of a traffic stop or other law-enforcement action, come to a “reasonable suspicion” that a person is an illegal alien verify the person’s immigration status with the federal government.

Predictably, groups that favor relaxed enforcement of immigration laws, including the American Civil Liberties Union and the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund, insist the law is unconstitutional. Less predictably, President Obama declared it “misguided” and said the Justice Department would take a look.

Presumably, the government lawyers who do so will actually read the law, something its critics don’t seem to have done. The arguments we’ve heard against it either misrepresent its text or are otherwise inaccurate. As someone who helped draft the statute, I will rebut the major criticisms individually:

It is unfair to demand that aliens carry their documents with them. It is true that the Arizona law makes it a misdemeanor for an alien to fail to carry certain documents. “Now, suddenly, if you don’t have your papers ... you’re going to be harassed,” the president said. “That’s not the right way to go.” But since 1940, it has been a federal crime for aliens to fail to keep such registration documents with them. The Arizona law simply adds a state penalty to what was already a federal crime. Moreover, as anyone who has traveled abroad knows, other nations have similar documentation requirements.

“Reasonable suspicion” is a meaningless term that will permit police misconduct. Over the past four decades, federal courts have issued hundreds of opinions defining those two words. The Arizona law didn’t invent the concept: Precedents list the factors that can contribute to reasonable suspicion; when several are combined, the “totality of circumstances” that results may create reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed.

For example, the Arizona law is most likely to come into play after a traffic stop. A police officer pulls a minivan over for speeding. A dozen passengers are crammed in. None has identification. The highway is a known alien-smuggling corridor. The driver is acting evasively. Those factors combine to create reasonable suspicion that the occupants are not in the country legally.

The law will allow police to engage in racial profiling. Actually, Section 2 provides that a law enforcement official “may not solely consider race, color or national origin” in making any stops or determining immigration status. In addition, all normal Fourth Amendment protections against profiling will continue to apply. In fact, the Arizona law actually reduces the likelihood of race-based harassment by compelling police officers to contact the federal government as soon as is practicable when they suspect a person is an illegal alien, as opposed to letting them make arrests on their own assessment.

It is unfair to demand that people carry a driver’s license. Arizona’s law does not require anyone, alien or otherwise, to carry a driver’s license. Rather, it gives any alien with a license a free pass if his immigration status is in doubt. Because Arizona allows only lawful residents to obtain licenses, an officer must presume that someone who produces one is legally in the country.

State governments aren’t allowed to get involved in immigration, which is a federal matter. While it is true that Washington holds primary authority in immigration, the Supreme Court since 1976 has recognized that states may enact laws to discourage illegal immigration without being pre-empted by federal law. As long as Congress hasn’t expressly forbidden the state law in question, the statute doesn’t conflict with federal law and Congress has not displaced all state laws from the field, it is permitted. That’s why Arizona’s 2007 law making it illegal to knowingly employ unauthorized aliens was sustained by the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

In sum, the Arizona law hardly creates a police state. It takes a measured, reasonable step to give Arizona police officers another tool when they come into contact with illegal aliens during their normal law enforcement duties.

And it’s very necessary: Arizona is the ground zero of illegal immigration. Phoenix is the hub of human smuggling and the kidnapping capital of America, with more than 240 incidents reported in 2008. It’s no surprise that Arizona’s police associations favored the bill, along with 70 percent of Arizonans.

President Obama and the Beltway crowd feel these problems can be taken care of with “comprehensive immigration reform” — meaning amnesty and a few other new laws. But we already have plenty of federal immigration laws on the books, and the typical illegal alien is guilty of breaking many of them. What we need is for the executive branch to enforce the laws that we already have.

Unfortunately, the Obama administration has scaled back work-site enforcement and otherwise shown it does not consider immigration laws to be a high priority. Is it any wonder the Arizona Legislature, at the front line of the immigration issue, sees things differently?

Kris W. Kobach, a law professor at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, was Attorney General John Ashcroft’s chief adviser on immigration law and border security from 2001 to 2003.

Home
    World U.S. N.Y. / Region Business Technology Science Health Sports Opinion Arts Style Travel Jobs Real Estate Automobiles Back to Top
    Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company
    Privacy Policy Terms of Service
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by lickety_spit View Post
    "tell you what all 35 stars fans in AZ, organize a protest concert! we'll be there..."

stars are either very modest or very ignorant.
    Probably was a joke cause they were said to not have a big fanbased, compared to nickleback

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Kris W. Kobach, a law professor at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, was Attorney General John Ashcroft’s chief adviser on immigration law and border security from 2001 to 2003.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

What the fuck is there to boycott from Arizona anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    What the fuck is there to boycott from Arizona anyway?
    Golfers are not exactly the boycotting type, are they.