Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910

Thread: The 136th Running for the Roses

Default Re: The 136th Running for the Roses

Didnt have Danza on any of my tickies.

Love the story of the dumbass owners. $10,000 horse, turned down $6 mil for a 51% stake in the horse a few races ago. Couple no names from the state of ca shutting down the Baffert's and other big names in the sport.

Just watched the replay again. Commanding Curve was closing like a mofo.

If this were the Belmont, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post

Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    there is going to be a suicide pace up front...
    Nope.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post

If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Best horse won.
    I have been to concerts. I will go to concerts in the future.

i can't believe how effin slow they were going.. When they pulled a slow 1st Call time i knew the race was already over..
    This was gift wrapped for California Chrome.

Even with no pace and Churchill favoring front speed all day shows how fast Commanding Curve was actually working..

Also if you go back and watch Danza, at some point the #9 horse just slams the fuck into him.. one of the hardest collisions i've ever seen.. i still can't believe he took 3rd..
    amazing

Watch the speed figures of the Preakness contenders to see what kind of pace might be set there..

But 1 thing is for certain, California Chrome is NOT bred for the Belmont distance.. it's not even close..

Some closer from the Derby, who couldn't close against the track's speed bias, will skip the Preakness & then come win the Belmont at a big price.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Guys,

I'm kinda salty. I had a bunch of bombs (longshots) in exactas and trifectas with Cali Chrome, but not Commanding Curve. So I got notta. Including a late pick 3/4 that went down in flames in Churchill's last race, that was still paying lovely even with wins by Wise Dan and California Chrome.

I do kinda disagree with the sentiment that Commanding Curve would beat CC in the Belmont. I mean I get what you guys are saying, that if Commanding Curve has a little more room he could've run Chrome down. But 2 things- and I say thins not cashing a ticket so I have no built in bias for this. I think Victor Espinoza "throttled down" Chrome towards the end of the race. As in he knew he had it won and wasn't working him all the way to the wire.

As for the Belmont, it almost always favors horses that are close to the lead. You'd think with the added distance it wouldn't, but the front-end horses usually plod through the early parts of the race, and it gives them enough energy to sustain their runs all the way to the finish. But credit where credit is due, this happened with Commanding Curve. But I'd like to see a repeat effort before I believe. Really depends on how much pace pressure will be in the next race he goes in-

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post

Commanding Curve
    Post Position #17
    Morning Line: 50-1

Commanding Curve was a very distant 3rd in this race, but had such a horrible start that he probably lost any chance to win right there.
    POSITIVES:
    -3 starts at Churchill downs, 3 top 3 finishes (but against maidens).
    -Only 1 career start at less than a mile, so he should be able to handle the Derby distance
    -Has only run on dirt
    -After that bad start, he still closed to get 3rd. Should be running hard late
    -Comparison could be made to 2nd-place finisher Golden Soul in last year's Kentucky Derby: Golden Soul came into the Derby off a 4th place finish in the Louisiana Derby, where he missed the start. Was really far back, and closed to get 4th place. So everyone thought Golden Soul was a hopeless longshot in the Kentucky Derby. He got 2nd. They even had the same trainer lol. A lot of comparisons between Golden Soul and Commanding Curve?
    -Derby will be his 3rd start of the year, so he should be sitting on his peak effort.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

As for the Preakness, there should be a good amount of pace in there. Because the speedy Social Inclusion, who got 3rd in the Wood Memorial to Samraat and Wicked Strong will be in there. Horse is a balls-to-the-wall speed horse who missed the break pretty bad in the Wood, had to run widest around the first and 2nd turns while getting to the lead, buried the leader on the final turn while setting a pretty decent pace. Wicked Strong blew past him, and Samraat really had to grind to get past him. There was a lot of hype surrounding Social Inclusion going into the Wood, and was the favorite in the race. I was against him, but he won me over with that monster effort (because of all the trouble he had early in the race). If things went more cleanly for him at the start, he would've been in the Derby, probably would've set the pace, and wouldn't have crapped out nearly as quick as say Uncle Sigh would have.

But there are 2 others he'll probably have to earn it from- One is Pablo del Monte, that decided last-minute to not enter in the Derby as horse #21 (after Hoppertunity scratched). If he repeats his Bluegrass effort, he'll be on/close to the lead again.

Another horse, who I absolutely would've played in the Derby before he scratched out with a fever last weekend-
    Ring Weekend. Ring Weekend won the Tampa Bay Derby running them of their feet in the Tama Bay Derby. Trainer Graham Motion experimented with him in a minor stakes race in early April as his final Derby tune-up (because he already qualified for the KY Derby with the Tampa win). They tried seeing if he was capable of stalking and holding him back. All he did in that race was get in a tug-o-war with his jockey because he wanted to run on the front. He got 2nd, but it was really just a paid workout and an experiment to see if he could be held back. But I think he's got some Cali Chrome in him, that he doesn't need the lead necessarily, he just runs. If his run puts him at the front, ok. If it puts him in a stalking or pressing spot right off the lead, ok. He'll be at huge odds and he'll be on all my tickets in either the Preakness or Belmont.

Speaking off Hoppertunity, he won't race until later in the year due to surgery
    Last edited by fiopadp7791; 05-05-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. Best horse won.
    Hahaha. Love this.

Check out Marvel's "What if..." series.

Preakness Past Performances (free) if you want them...
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1933440

I think I'm gonna go California Chrome with Ring Weekend in various tri boxes, pick 3s and pick 4s. Was gonna play Ring Weekend in the Derby before he scratched. So gonna stick with him here.

Als in the field is the freakishly fast Social Inclusion. Just missed making the Derby field, but I question how far he can carry his speed. There's a lot of front-running types in the Preakness, but he's the speed of the speed.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

track is favoring the class speed..

i am predicting this finish:

California Chrome > Social Inclusion > Bayern > Dynamic Impact
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Hey Ron, did you kill them if they didn't perform? They don't trip too much about that down there, happens all the time....right?

So today is the day that California Chrome goes for the Triple Crown in the Belmont. He's the best horse, but history is against him. Smarty Jones was the best, I'l have Another was the best, and plenty of others since Affirmed were at least debatably the best horse, but yet they lost.

So I'm cheering for him to do it. But... it'll be pretty much meaningless for the sport (or getting any good long-term publicity from his achievement) if he's retired right after the race. The owners of the horse claim that they will keep running him, even into his 4 year-old season (after Jan 1). But I think that's only the case because they haven't received a good breeding offer yet. If he wins, the offers will start pouring in. And they'll be lucrative. So I hope they're being truthful and keep him in training after the Belmont. But it doesn't mean much if he's retired soon after.

With that being said, I have to work this afternoon, so I'm sitting on the side lines today. I hope he wins, but it's kinda a "believe it when I see it" thing for me. And I won't be able to watch it live, so I guess I'll catch the replay.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

This country needs to get its priorities straight and start paying attention to F1 over this stupid shit. I'd rather watch competitive shitting than getting dick teased for 2 hours just to watch some puerto rican dwarves race in a single circle for a minute and a half. Either make it an endurance race where the last horse to escape fatal exhaustion is the winner or fuck right off.

If they watch F1, then all its going to be is the racers wives on the screen for the last hour of the race.

So I finally watched the replay of the Belmont (I was at work, so I didn't see the race live). California Chrome hung. I think that's really all there was to it. He ran 3 races in 5 weeks (usually in that amount of time a top graded-stakes horse will run once, maybe twice in that time). Combo that with asking him to go a mile and a half, where he's outrun his pedigree in every race thus far... he was just tired. He hung for that reason. You can maybe put a little blame on Victor Espinoza for deciding to take him wide instead of waiting for something to open up down on the rail, but I don't think staying inside wins that race for him either.

What I saw today still makes me believe that at 1 1/4 miles- the distance of the Travers (the last huge 3 year old only stakes race on Labor Day weekend), the Pacific Classic at Del Mar and the Breeders Cup Classic, that he's as good as anyone age 3 or older. He'll rebound from this, and hopefully if his connections don't retire him, that we got a great 2nd half of the year to come. Valiant effort California Chrome. You'll rebound from this.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    This country needs to get its priorities straight and start paying attention to F1 over this stupid shit. I'd rather watch competitive shitting than getting dick teased for 2 hours just to watch some puerto rican dwarves race in a single circle for a minute and a half. Either make it an endurance race where the last horse to escape fatal exhaustion is the winner or fuck right off.
    well hold on-

First, horse racing is so dead in this country, that even with a lack of exposure for Formula 1, there's way more coverage of that than there is for horse racing lol. You can still see every race at odd hours on NBC Sports network. Also, casual race fan knows who Michael Schumacher is. Before the Kentucky Derby, casual horse racing fan would probably ask if Smarty Jones is running in the race again this year. Or so the ladies can see who's wearing what fancy hat.

Also, the reason most people watch horse racing, is due to the wagering aspect that goes with it. As a hardcore fan, I can watch these major graded stakes races without a betting interest in it. But most of the time, like everyone else, I'm betting on the races I'm watching.

I can't watch auto racing, because I get bored watching cars drive around in circles. It would probably be the same for most people regarding horse racing if they weren't betting on the races.

For football, bball, baseball, I can watch those sports without betting on them. Auto racing I can't.

Frankly, unless you took the stand that California Chrome wouldn't finish in the top 3 today, the Belmont was actually a horrible betting race (because if CC finished in the top 3, all the payouts get really diluted). But the biggest achievement in the sport is winning all three races of the triple crown. So that's what all the "cock teasing" was about today.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    First, horse racing is so dead in this country.
    I happened to goto Santa Anita recently(haven't been in years) and was shocked to see how many young people were there all decked out in big hats,white suits, funny mustaches etc. I've seen that at Del Mar but never Santa Anita. This must mean that going to the track is a new hipster thing.