Page 5 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool touring this summer...

Default Re: Tool touring this summer...

My first reaction was, "Fuck Tool, I won't be duped again after last year!" A couple of days later, I'm now relenting and will probably go to the OKC show. I just want to hear Right in Two again, and for Maynard to show a little enthusiasm this time around...and enough of Schism already.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    So who thinks its gonna be the same ol' same ol'?
    So far we have:
    suprefan
    msklvr
    getbetter
    blinken
    4ransom
    museradio
    brando4n82
    I think it's going to be the same fucking thing as it was last year. Add me.

I got enough last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    That Verizon show was kick ass. Although having Tricky come out during Reflection was terrible.
    Tricky was a cool opener, but I really didn't get that one either. Fuck it.

Tool/Massive Attack in 06 ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post

That said, WTF:
    I love 10K Days. I think what makes it truly remarkable for me is just how far the band was willing to go to expand their vision, even if it meant alienating older fans (which is probably part of the plan anyway). Listening to Wings 1&2 now it's hard to imagine any other band pulling something like that off, much less attempting it. Fascinating piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for me it all comes down to Maynard. When it's evident that he's into a particular performance and giving it everything he has, it takes them to a different level. I can't really put my finger on it exactly other than calling it an added dimension of energy. idk.
    I think you've got it right. Danny and Justin are rocks. Never a bad night between them. Adam can be sloppy but his sound and the atmosphere it creates are consistent.

So that leaves Maynard. He's not the band's "leader". In fact he's gone to great lengths to make sure he is not perceived that way live (in the back on a riser, no spotlight dedicated to him like each of the other members has). But his voice is so unique and his presence such an enigma that when he starts feeling it, the band begins to transcend the sum of its parts.

On the flip-side, when he's off, he can drag the show wayyy down in spite of the professionalism of his cohorts. Nowhere was this better demonstrated than the time I saw NiN and Tool play together. Trent came out first and the band just KILLED! Damn they were on. Visuals, set list, band was super tight. Awesome show! Tool came out after and had some pretty big shoes to fill given the set NiN had just turned in. Maynard had cancelled the previous night's show due to a sore throat so I was a bit worried- and with good reason! It was a terrible performance on his part. And it was made more obvious because Trent had just destroyed the place. Making the on the spot comparison was unavoidable.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Shit. Tool tickets go on sale this Friday. I didn't want the onsale to be so soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Which show are you looking at rage?

Edit- doh! nm, GM Palace since you're in Vancouver.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    I just wanna hear Swamp Song one day....
    I second this. One of my fav's off Undertow. I would love to hear 4 Degrees as well. I doubt we will get either.

Have they added more dates yet? I can't get into the site from work.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    WTF is the matter with you guys? I have no problem with your opinions but you're on my jock because I like Tool as much as I do? Previous asshole accounted for too. Fark both of you.
    Anyway, did not mean to lose it here. But wtf is the point of comparing bands in this manner? I like most of them just like you all do. But I cannot believe how much Tool sets off some people. If they had just done Pushit, Jerk Off, Prison Sex, D/R/T and Third Eye this last tour we would not be having this conversation- would we?
    not trying to bash your opinion, more like trying to get you to open your fuckin eyes man. nothing wrong with loving a band, but blindly following them even when its obvious that they are mailing it in to collect a paycheck is pathetic. the fact that you can't see how lame they are now compared to what they used to be is why i was giving you shit. you sound like you just discovered them when 10k days came out, which would explain a lot.

Maynard used to be such an epic frontman live, changing it up every night. the fact that he doesnt care anymore, and its painfully obvious in the way it affects their shows, SHOULD have fans upset. the reason why people are comparing them to nin/radiohead, is because all those bands used to be on the same level, and while those bands keep innovating and changing it up, tool is just content to keep playing the exact same fuckin live set for 5 years in a row, and that is extermely sad to me. what's also sad is the fact that you, and plenty others seem to be blind to all of this, and keep giving them your money so maynard can go plant his sour fuckin grapes.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    not trying to bash your opinion, more like trying to get you to open your fuckin eyes man. nothing wrong with loving a band, but blindly following them even when its obvious that they are mailing it in to collect a paycheck is pathetic. the fact that you can't see how lame they are now compared to what they used to be is why i was giving you shit. you sound like you just discovered them when 10k days came out, which would explain a lot.

Maynard used to be such an epic frontman live, changing it up every night. the fact that he doesnt care anymore, and its painfully obvious in the way it affects their shows, SHOULD have fans upset. the reason why people are comparing them to nin/radiohead, is because all those bands used to be on the same level, and while those bands keep innovating and changing it up, tool is just content to keep playing the exact same fuckin live set for 5 years in a row, and that is extermely sad to me. what's also sad is the fact that you, and plenty others seem to be blind to all of this, and keep giving them your money so maynard can go plant his sour fuckin grapes.
    You need to go back and re-read some of my posts. I do not lack objectivity on Tool, or Maynard, as you suggest. No doubt you could pull some quotes out of context to make me sound that way, but I do offer up and in general share many of the criticisms around the band. Heck, if you're so inclined you can read one of my more pointed reviews from a few years back here-http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=87370. I don't exactly go easy on them.

Your bittereness towards Maynard is more of an issue than my alleged "blind" loyalty to the band. I'll go to some shows on this tour and have a great time like I always do. No amount of "the set list sucks!" or "Maynard doesn't care!" comments on this or any forum is going to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Shit. Tool tickets go on sale this Friday. I didn't want the onsale to be so soon.
    forget about MGMT then....and at least you have a date to purchase tix to...
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Your bittereness towards Maynard is more of an issue than my alleged "blind" loyalty to the band. I'll go to some shows on this tour and have a great time like I always do. No amount of "the set list sucks!" or "Maynard doesn't care!" comments on this or any forum is going to change that.
    well you're right about one thing...i am definitely bitter towards maynard. they used to be one of my favorite bands, but thanks to maynard, i could really care less about them, unless they release a new album. it's just sad that so much potential goes to waste just because he is over it. i actually feel pretty bad for those other guys. they should get a new frontman who actually wants to put in time making and performing music with them.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

^ THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    It's like KoRn and Aidz Needles make a crime to my ears!!

forget about MGMT then....and at least you have a date to purchase tix to...
    I think Im gonna get Becky to buy MGMT and I am going to go for Tool.

I think Im gonna get Becky to buy MGMT and I am going to go for Tool.
    sounds like a good plan.... I could help too if you need it...
    Upcoming Shows:

How so? Are you gonna be in town for the Tool show in Vancouver?

How so? Are you gonna be in town for the Tool show in Vancouver?
    as in, I can try for tix at 10am...and If i pull up better tix than you, give me your login info and ill grab them for u...
    Upcoming Shows:

Deal. That works for me. Thanks man.

Who wants to bet Maynard gets sick or something at some point this tour?

Also, if I could pick one song from the never changing setlist to stay forever it would be...

FLOOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

I can get with Flood never being dropped.

Now give me the one song you never want to see or hear again! For me it is...

SCHISM

Schism rocks bro!
    Upcoming Shows:

Schism rocks bro!
    Oh don't get me wrong- killer tune! But overplayed. Even when compared to the rest of their set. They played Schism at every single 10k Days show. It just doesn't hold my interest like it used to (except for the live extended jam maybe). I'd rather hear Parabola off Lateralus.

Vicarious
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Holy fuck, I just checked the ticket price of the Vancouver show... 83 bucks! before charges.... thats 100% gonna be a $100 or just short of after everything... thats brutal...for just Tool, perhaps the exact same set from 4 years ago...no name opener?
    Upcoming Shows:

I heard Trent Reznor is opening with his new project.

Id pay 30 bucks for that....no we're talkin...
    Upcoming Shows:

Holy fuck, I just checked the ticket price of the Vancouver show... 83 bucks! before charges.... thats 100% gonna be a $100 or just short of after everything... thats brutal...for just Tool, perhaps the exact same set from 4 years ago...no name opener?
    Its 83 bucks AFTER charges dude.

Its 83 bucks AFTER charges dude.
    CA $83.25 (CA $67.50 Ticket + CA $15.75 Fees)

oh fuck....since when did Ticketmaster start adding everything up for you? Ive never seen that...
    Upcoming Shows:

They have been doing it for all the Vancouver show for the last 2 or 3 months.

Just when I leave.....pff. All ticketmaster sites should do that!
    Upcoming Shows: