Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tool touring this summer...

Default Re: Tool touring this summer...

they need to get the sand out of their vaginas and bring back jerk off and opiate. then i'd go.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Yer goin anyway.

I'll betcha
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

I would consider going it Trent and co was in on it for sure. But the risk of the same set looms greatly.

30+ and counting.

I've seen them perform every song and I will see them perform them again.

but yeah. they need to step it up.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 04-30-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

I was thinking about how cool a Primus/TOOL co-headlining tour would be.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    You're Dumb.

God, I've had a few beers, so this will no doubt sound lame..

but what are we talking about here? If a band does not play certain or different songs live, does that somehow not make them a good band? In Tool's case, because they play a similiar set most nights live, does that mean that all the songs they are playing suck, and I should not like them? I've listened to hundreds of songs by bands I like over and over sitting at home. I've seen Tool 15 times since the 10k Days release and in there I've seen songs like The Patient, Swamp Song, Pushit and Right In Two. And with songs like that I've seen the following

Jambi
    Stinkfist
    46+two
    Schism

... well, you know the set by now. Should I just hate these songs solely because they don't do Jimmy anymore? Or D/R/T? Look, I want those latter songs too. I sure wish Tool was one of those bands who sat around thinking " What is it the fans want? ... Well let's do that!". But they're not. Or at least Maynard's not. But I still very much like the songs they are currently playing.

So yea... step it up, I guess. But won't they still be the same band with the art on display and sound I enjoy regardless of which particular back catalog song they pick for their set list??

//told ya it'd sound lame
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

I personally am frustrated with them because their current setlist limits their potential, BIG TIME. Its not that the songs they play aren't great, its that they're neglecting DOZENS of other great songs. Sure its great to hear 46&2 but you know what's better? Expecting 46&2 and getting anything other than what's expected. Its the element of surprise that this band once mastered as good as anyone but no longer entertains the idea of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

PS-ive drank more than you
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

We'll see some variability I really hope...I mean they can't spend the rest of their lives with Jambi/Stinkfist/46 and 2/Rosetta Stoned/Schism/Flood/Lateralus/Vicarious. Right?????

The Grudge live with the MJK scream is phenomenal..maybe that will be busted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    It feels like I've been in this exact conversation dozens of times. Oh, wait, I have.

Maynard is my favorite vocalist when he wants to sing. Recently the vocals seem to be lower and lower in the mix which sucks, big time. I know he's a fragile little fucker which makes him who he is but I hope to god he comes with some balls this tour.

Sonny, I admire your unwavering support of tool. However, calling radiohead boring and nin a one trick pony is a bit much, especially coming from you. In any case, look forward to meeting you at massive attack.

New tour wishlist:
    Intension/RIGHT IN TWO (have.not.heard.it)
    D/R/T (reflection is my favorite song by any artist ever)

Reflection as part of D/R/T is def one of the most amazing things I have EVER heard live.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jconxtc View Post
    this was his intro which went into it. you can hear it coming in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsnB6TAo-eU
    pretty cool, thanks
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    PS-ive drank more than you
    That would be un-possible! <ow, my head>

I think the expectation level thing for Tool is something I'm on the fence about but I do agree that lacking an element of surprise in their live performance is a puzzling approach for a band that is so unique. If you look back at the 10K Days tour you'll see a fair amount of set list variance initially. It wasn't till the end of that tour (and the most recent summer tour) that they decided "F^ck it, we're doing the same thing every night because Maynard doesn't want to do anything else".

Oh, and the theory that Maynard can't sing certain songs anymore and his vocal range is shot are bogus. I believe the only reason the band doesn't do songs like Euology or Parabola is because Maynard simply doesn't want to for personal reasons.

And I understand that but The Pot or Right In Two? His latest works? And got damn it if he's not going to sing just unleash Danny for Triad for fucks sake.

Ya you got me there. Right In Two kicks ass live too. In fact, one of my biggest complaints about the 10K Days tour towards the end and the tour last summer is they were not doing enough off 10K Days! I mean, like the album or not, it was puzzling how they were out supporting that record specifically but only doing about <50% of it. Once they pulled Wings out of the set they really needed to insert right the Pot or Right In Two.

Edit- I'm using the word "puzzling" a lot, aren't I? I'll try to change my ways.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 05-01-2010 at 11:13 AM.

The band has addressed the never changing sets accusations in the past and the reason they gave was that they don't play certain songs anymore is because they are not a reflection of where the band is at the time. And I can understand that. Why would they play songs like jerk off or intolerance if the band isn't feeling that emotional passion that inspired the song in the first place. Why would they play songs that don't have the same relevance that they once did? Playing Jerk Off or Eulogy just because some douche fan wants to hear it even if playing it feels like selling out? That would be mailing it in. The songs that they play seem to be "the hits" but maybe it is also because those are the songs that have been able to stand the test of time while the others have faded into obscurity because of a million different unknown factors.

But at the same time, I totally agree with you, Dylan. Like in that Irvine recording when they play the interlude into Lateralus but then go straight into Opiate. That kind of stuff is sorely lacking in their recent shows since........2007.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    The band has addressed the never changing sets accusations in the past and the reason they gave was that they don't play certain songs anymore is because they are not a reflection of where the band is at the time. And I can understand that. Why would they play songs like jerk off or intolerance if the band isn't feeling that emotional passion that inspired the song in the first place. Why would they play songs that don't have the same relevance that they once did? Playing Jerk Off or Eulogy just because some douche fan wants to hear it even if playing it feels like selling out? That would be mailing it in. The songs that they play seem to be "the hits" but maybe it is also because those are the songs that have been able to stand the test of time while the others have faded into obscurity because of a million different unknown factors.

But at the same time, I totally agree with you, Dylan. Like in that Irvine recording when they play the interlude into Lateralus but then go straight into Opiate. That kind of stuff is sorely lacking in their recent shows since........2007.
    I still sort of think their "explanation" is a cover for whatever personal reasons Maynard has for not wanting to sing those old songs. It's not a band decision. I can accept it, but it's still rather unfortunate we won't here Pushit just because Maynard needs to think of himself in a "cover band" before performing it.

The real issue I have is (same as previous post) that they are not doing recent material off 10K Days. What excuse does Maynard have for those songs?

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

^ Yeah that sounds like some bullshit, if it's not bullshit it's super pretentious. They're good songs, who gives a shit how you're feeling in 2010, play the fucking songs.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Maynard obviously lost a lot of money touring with his carnival act Puscifer and realized this is his only surefire way to make money. I hope they don't even come around here so I'm not tempted to be an enabler.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by microcuts View Post
    Maynard obviously lost a lot of money touring with his carnival act Puscifer and realized this is his only surefire way to make money. I hope they don't even come around here so I'm not tempted to be an enabler.
    Why do you say he lost money?

Seriously, tix were a $100 each for those fucking shows.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Why do you say he lost money?
    Maynard himself said he actually lost money for the West coast run.

http://www.billboard.com/news/tool-s...04069015.story

"We kind of painted ourselves in a corner as far as what we need to present to get the idea across. So that's going to take a little bit of money. This last (fall) run we were $150,000 short just to make sure this show happened. So we paid you to watch it."

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

they paid someone, but it sure as hell wasn't the ticket buyers.

apparently more tour dates today.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

yep, Blair's should be making an announcement later today

TM is slowly letting dates out, though

June 19 - New Orleans, LA - Lakefront Arena (Pollstar)
    June 20 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center (Pollstar)
    June 22 - Cedar Park, TX - Cedar Park Center
    June 23 - Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center
    June ?? - St. Charles, MO - Family Arena (FourthEye.net)
    July 1 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
    July 4 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
    July 5 - Regina, SK - Brandt Centre, Evraz Place
    July 7 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
    July 9 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place
    July ?? - Seattle, WA - KeyArena (FourthEye.net)
    July 12 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    Last edited by microcuts; 05-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

SoCal dates in mid/late July?

old school

outsidelands

*yawn*
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    outsidelands
    I was thinkn the same but NO WAY.

too big of a gap....

Im thinking TOOL in the bay area late july.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTheEskimo View Post
    You're Dumb.

Independence Day in Winnipeg

Finally going to see Tool!

July 12 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium